PDA

View Full Version : The Good and Not So Good vs Charleston Southern (Long, sorry)

CadaverDawg
09-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Obviously I'm very happy with the way we came out and dominated from start to finish. That being said, while there were some things done perfect, we also had several areas of improvement. Here's a list of some Good and Not So Good in my opinion:

Good:

Defense

Unbelievable how different this group looked. The front 7 looked incredible. I see what the hype was about with Sweat, he is such a combo of size and speed....looks like he is everything we've heard he is. Jeff Simmons is an absolute monster in the middle. Cory Thomas played a great game too. Want to hear something that will get you fired up.....Leo Lewis was the least talked about LB on the field yesterday. Dez Harris and Gerri Green had great games, and Gerri finally looks comfortable, which is a great sign. Todd Grantham era starts with a bang, and I could not be happier with how aggressive and smothering the D was. Night and Day from a year ago.

Running Backs

Aeris Williams is a great RB, but he was almost overshadowed yesterday due to the excitement around Kylin Hill. First off, I can't believe Mullen played him in the 1st Q, and boy did he show some of what he's all about. Hill looks the part of a future great at MSU. Lee looked solid, and I thought Gibson looked great. We are loaded at RB....let's just hope they have some holes to run through this year (more on that later).

Tight Ends

Farrod Green was showcased right out of the gate, and Jordan Thomas looked pretty good. It's clear that those two will play a big role in our passing game this year.

Wide Receivers

There seemed to be a good amount of separation, but I'm unsure of how much was due to competition. Either way, Gabe Myles looked like he got rid of the drops and is poised to be a big help outside, and Keith Mixon doesn't get near enough love from our fans....he's REAL good in the slot, and even gets in on the blocking down field (See Farrod Green's big catch & run where Mixon was throwing blocks). Gray was somewhat of a non-factor, which might have been by design to get some other guys ready.

Returners

Gray, Mixon, and Myles looked pretty good in the return game (especially Gray), but Myles is a little too quick to fair catch. I guess that beats the alternative of fumbling bc you won't fair catch though. I think we're finally going to see some better field position due to having a few guys in the return game that can run AND break tackles. No more slow guys back there, and no more midgets that can't break tackles. I'm excited about this group

The Not So Good:

Offensive Line

I know everybody thinks I'm too hard on this group, but let me explain why. It's not necessarily the guys on the OL I have the issue with, it's the fact that we always have such a question mark and project with that group. Stewart Reese looked bad. Again, not his fault, bc he should not be a starting RT in this league yet. Jenkins looked bad. Again, not his fault, he shouldn't be our C, but we don't have many experienced options at C. However, I think he will improve quickly now that he is getting used to game action at that position....he is a good OL, so I'm attributing his rough game to the position change and crossing my fingers. We just didn't get much push against a very small and overmatched (or should've been overmatched) DL. I was disappointed in the pass blocking too.
And what was the deal with Jenkins' snaps? Mullen was asked about it in the press conference and said "I didn't see any bad snaps.".....What?? If any other position group (like RB's) looks at him wrong, they get in the dog house, but our OL can screw up an entire game and he says "I didn't see bad snaps"? I just don't get it, and it's starting to piss me off that Hevesy gets a lifetime pass at limiting this program's success, with no repercussions.

So basically, We just have to clean up the OL....AGAIN.....and that's where my frustration comes from. At what point are we going to see that this is a constant issue, and one that is showing no signs of improving year to year, and make a change with our OL coach? Mullen is allowing Hevesy to place a ceiling on every season, because we lack the talent and depth on the OL to beat the good teams in this league. The sad part is, we have the talent to beat the good teams in this league at most other positions. The OL wasn't awful yesterday, but they were unimpressive enough to cause a little concern. Definitely a group that needs to show some improvement next week at the very least.

Fitzgerald

First off, he didn't play terrible at all....I just think he turned in to a bit of a gunslinger once the lead started to grow and he saw our defense locking them down. He threw a couple of passes while getting pressured, that he had no business throwing in the field of play. He also seems to get jacked up and throws it too hard sometimes, leading to poor accuracy on those throws. I'm hoping he will calm down and just make his reads and settle in. if he doesn't, teams like LSU, and even La Tech, could make him pay with some interceptions. His completion percentage wasn't that great, but again most of that was after the first few drives....so hopefully that isn't going to be a problem going forward. We just need him to protect the ball, especially if our D is going to play like they did yesterday this year.

Secondary

Before you flip out, I only put them here because we learned nothing about this group since CSU didn't pass. So the "not so good" part was that we didn't get to see how they looked. However, I loved the way we were jamming receivers and this group was awesome in run support (Cam Dantzler's hit, wow). I just hate that we didn't get much of a look at the coverage ability, which will most certainly get tested next weekend at La Tech. I'm hoping this group will rise to the occasion.

Kicking

Even though Day went 1-3, I actually came away feeling okay after that game. He looks the part, and should only get better with tries. Besides, Bama's kicking game is no better, so I'm beginning to think kickers are a crapshoot.

Final Thoughts

Take any criticisms with a grain of salt, because it's hard to find any big time concerns in a 49-0 drubbing where our defense gives up 33 yards. I came away very excited, primarily due to the defense. Based on what I saw yesterday, I have no doubt that Grantham would have been the difference in 5 wins and 8 wins in the regular season last year. Enjoy your end of that deal Louisville....I almost feel like we got away with murder on that trade.

Offense should be good. We have some incredible pieces. How good can it be? As good as our OL, our WR's, and Fitz's decision making. We'll see. All in all, you pretty much couldn't have drawn it up any better yesterday.

Time to take care of business next weekend (only favored by 1.5 points??), and that will setup a monster matchup with LSU. LSU didn't scare me offensively, so I will be looking hard at our OL next weekend....if they show improvement and can at least be solid, I see no reason this team can't start 3-0 and things could get real REAL interesting.

Hail Damn State

State82
09-03-2017, 05:48 PM
I can buy this.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 06:06 PM
You always give a fair assessment, Cadaver!

Jack Lambert
09-03-2017, 06:09 PM
The o line will improve. It will be serviceable this Saturday but LSU might expose it the following week. I wish Mullen would have left them in the game to let them get some more playing time. Also Jenkins snaps were really low but I guess that is better then to high.

thf24
09-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Great write up, a couple of things though;

On the issue of Myles' fair catches, it seemed pretty obvious to me he was told to fair catch immediately in the second half. He was waving almost as soon as the ball came off the punter's foot. He didn't fair catch on an early punt that he clearly should have, so I don't think he's gun shy.

On the OL, at least in run blocking, it's getting to be the same complaint every opener. The OL doesn't seem to be getting any "push" and opening holes for our backs against inferior competition. The thing is though that our core run blocking scheme isn't going for "push." We present the defense with two options, then trap them into whichever they bite on, opening up lanes for the other. When the QB picks the wrong option, or is limited to one option (handing off) as he probably was yesterday, it looks like our OL got blown up, when in reality we simply ran towards the spot we let the defense get to by design. It's been the same initial concern every year since 2014, and it always looks much improved the next week when the QB is free to run the play properly.

It is true that Reese didn't look ready, which comes squarely back to Hev and recruiting. He should be solid with experience, I just hope having to play him before he's ready doesn't bite us too hard while he gets there. Pass protection also didn't look fantastic early, although hopefully that was a combination of CSU coming out amped and first game jitters on our side.

DownwardDawg
09-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Been waiting on your game thoughts. Good job bud!

CadaverDawg
09-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Great write up, a couple of things though;

On the issue of Myles' fair catches, it seemed pretty obvious to me he was told to fair catch immediately in the second half. He was waving almost as soon as the ball came off the punter's foot. He didn't fair catch on an early punt that he clearly should have, so I don't think he's gun shy.

On the OL, at least in run blocking, it's getting to be the same complaint every opener. The OL doesn't seem to be getting any "push" and opening holes for our backs against inferior competition. The thing is though that our core run blocking scheme isn't going for "push." We present the defense with two options, then trap them into whichever they bite on, opening up lanes for the other. When the QB picks the wrong option, or is limited to one option (handing off) as he probably was yesterday, it looks like our OL got blown up, when in reality we simply ran towards the spot we let the defense get to by design. It's been the same initial concern every year since 2014, and it always looks much improved the next week when the QB is free to run the play properly.

It is true that Reese didn't look ready, which comes squarely back to Hev and recruiting. He should be solid with experience, I just hope having to play him before he's ready doesn't bite us too hard while he gets there. Pass protection also didn't look fantastic early, although hopefully that was a combination of CSU coming out amped and first game jitters on our side.

Fair points about the run blocking, however, when upon initial contact our guys go backwards against CSU....that pretty much assures you that a good SEC D-Line can blow up our line and ruin any scheme blocking we want to do. But you're right, push isn't necessarily something we're aiming for, so I agree

DogsofAnarchy
09-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Obviously I'm very happy with the way we came out and dominated from start to finish. That being said, while there were some things done perfect, we also had several areas of improvement. Here's a list of some Good and Not So Good in my opinion:

Good:

Defense

Unbelievable how different this group looked. The front 7 looked incredible. I see what the hype was about with Sweat, he is such a combo of size and speed....looks like he is everything we've heard he is. Jeff Simmons is an absolute monster in the middle. Cory Thomas played a great game too. Want to hear something that will get you fired up.....Leo Lewis was the least talked about LB on the field yesterday. Dez Harris and Gerri Green had great games, and Gerri finally looks comfortable, which is a great sign. Todd Grantham era starts with a bang, and I could not be happier with how aggressive and smothering the D was. Night and Day from a year ago.

Running Backs

Aeris Williams is a great RB, but he was almost overshadowed yesterday due to the excitement around Kylin Hill. First off, I can't believe Mullen played him in the 1st Q, and boy did he show some of what he's all about. Hill looks the part of a future great at MSU. Lee looked solid, and I thought Gibson looked great. We are loaded at RB....let's just hope they have some holes to run through this year (more on that later).

Tight Ends

Farrod Green was showcased right out of the gate, and Jordan Thomas looked pretty good. It's clear that those two will play a big role in our passing game this year.

Wide Receivers

There seemed to be a good amount of separation, but I'm unsure of how much was due to competition. Either way, Gabe Myles looked like he got rid of the drops and is poised to be a big help outside, and Keith Mixon doesn't get near enough love from our fans....he's REAL good in the slot, and even gets in on the blocking down field (See Farrod Green's big catch & run where Mixon was throwing blocks). Gray was somewhat of a non-factor, which might have been by design to get some other guys ready.

Returners

Gray, Mixon, and Myles looked pretty good in the return game (especially Gray), but Myles is a little too quick to fair catch. I guess that beats the alternative of fumbling bc you won't fair catch though. I think we're finally going to see some better field position due to having a few guys in the return game that can run AND break tackles. No more slow guys back there, and no more midgets that can't break tackles. I'm excited about this group

The Not So Good:

Offensive Line

I know everybody thinks I'm too hard on this group, but let me explain why. It's not necessarily the guys on the OL I have the issue with, it's the fact that we always have such a question mark and project with that group. Stewart Reese looked bad. Again, not his fault, bc he should not be a starting RT in this league yet. Jenkins looked bad. Again, not his fault, he shouldn't be our C, but we don't have many experienced options at C. However, I think he will improve quickly now that he is getting used to game action at that position....he is a good OL, so I'm attributing his rough game to the position change and crossing my fingers. We just didn't get much push against a very small and overmatched (or should've been overmatched) DL. I was disappointed in the pass blocking too.
And what was the deal with Jenkins' snaps? Mullen was asked about it in the press conference and said "I didn't see any bad snaps.".....What?? If any other position group (like RB's) looks at him wrong, they get in the dog house, but our OL can screw up an entire game and he says "I didn't see bad snaps"? I just don't get it, and it's starting to piss me off that Hevesy gets a lifetime pass at limiting this program's success, with no repercussions.

So basically, We just have to clean up the OL....AGAIN.....and that's where my frustration comes from. At what point are we going to see that this is a constant issue, and one that is showing no signs of improving year to year, and make a change with our OL coach? Mullen is allowing Hevesy to place a ceiling on every season, because we lack the talent and depth on the OL to beat the good teams in this league. The sad part is, we have the talent to beat the good teams in this league at most other positions. The OL wasn't awful yesterday, but they were unimpressive enough to cause a little concern. Definitely a group that needs to show some improvement next week at the very least.

Fitzgerald

First off, he didn't play terrible at all....I just think he turned in to a bit of a gunslinger once the lead started to grow and he saw our defense locking them down. He threw a couple of passes while getting pressured, that he had no business throwing in the field of play. He also seems to get jacked up and throws it too hard sometimes, leading to poor accuracy on those throws. I'm hoping he will calm down and just make his reads and settle in. if he doesn't, teams like LSU, and even La Tech, could make him pay with some interceptions. His completion percentage wasn't that great, but again most of that was after the first few drives....so hopefully that isn't going to be a problem going forward. We just need him to protect the ball, especially if our D is going to play like they did yesterday this year.

Secondary

Before you flip out, I only put them here because we learned nothing about this group since CSU didn't pass. So the "not so good" part was that we didn't get to see how they looked. However, I loved the way we were jamming receivers and this group was awesome in run support (Cam Dantzler's hit, wow). I just hate that we didn't get much of a look at the coverage ability, which will most certainly get tested next weekend at La Tech. I'm hoping this group will rise to the occasion.

Kicking

Even though Day went 1-3, I actually came away feeling okay after that game. He looks the part, and should only get better with tries. Besides, Bama's kicking game is no better, so I'm beginning to think kickers are a crapshoot.

Final Thoughts

Take any criticisms with a grain of salt, because it's hard to find any big time concerns in a 49-0 drubbing where our defense gives up 33 yards. I came away very excited, primarily due to the defense. Based on what I saw yesterday, I have no doubt that Grantham would have been the difference in 5 wins and 8 wins in the regular season last year. Enjoy your end of that deal Louisville....I almost feel like we got away with murder on that trade.

Offense should be good. We have some incredible pieces. How good can it be? As good as our OL, our WR's, and Fitz's decision making. We'll see. All in all, you pretty much couldn't have drawn it up any better yesterday.

Time to take care of business next weekend (only favored by 1.5 points??), and that will setup a monster matchup with LSU. LSU didn't scare me offensively, so I will be looking hard at our OL next weekend....if they show improvement and can at least be solid, I see no reason this team can't start 3-0 and things could get real REAL interesting.

Hail Damn State

Cadaver, I don't think I know you, but the write up was definitely fair with what I saw yesterday. Definitely have to fix the center position. Fitz had to look down to receive multiple snaps. That hurts are completion percentage for sure. So Dan dismissing that question was just Dan being BDD. We will definitely get a better idea where we are after the La Tech game !!

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Rewatching the game and one thing I noticed....

Fletcher Adams basically caused both safeties. He clearly caused the first, but the second was due to him pushing his man into the backfield. Tre Brown was there, but the OL tripped the guy up, bc he was getting his ass kicked by Adams. That is big for us considering the Chauncey Rivers news.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 10:30 AM
If Sweat & Leo stay for 2019, along with Rivers, Cole, & Landrew coming off redshirts our defense is going to be absolutely nasty.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 10:31 AM
BTW, are we getting Random's Sunday Morning QB this year or is he too busy now?

Pollodawg
09-04-2017, 10:33 AM
I'd say you nailed it. Not much to say after that write up.

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 10:42 AM
What did you guys think of Thomas lining up wide? I know we knew it was coming, but I liked it. It's not a homerun creator, but in terms of moving the chains, that is very difficult matchup for a CB

1bigdawg
09-04-2017, 10:44 AM
It bothered me that the CS nose guard seemed to beat Jenkins off the snap. Jenkins recovered and the guy did not make tackles, but having the center in the backfield at the start of the play will not work in the SEC.

KentuckyDawg13
09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
The Myles' fair catches were called by Mullen, he wanted KT on the field for reps. Myles could have ran back a couple. GS was blasted tired.

Good:

Defense

Running Backs

Tight Ends

Wide Receivers

Returners

The Not So Good:

Offensive Line

Fitzgerald

Secondary

Kicking

Final Thoughts

Hail Damn State

Commercecomet24
09-04-2017, 10:52 AM
What did you guys think of Thomas lining up wide? I know we knew it was coming, but I liked it. It's not a homerun creator, but in terms of moving the chains, that is very difficult matchup for a CB

I think it's awesome. What you hope for is a matchup with a lb or safety then you can run him deep. The pats do it with Gronk a lot. In the super bowl against Seattle Gronk was wide and they put KJ on him and Brady immediately audible into a 9 route for Gronk that resulted in a td. Thomas to fast for a lb and to big for a safety or cb. I like the strategy a lot.

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 10:58 AM
I think it's awesome. What you hope for is a matchup with a lb or safety then you can run him deep. The pats do it with Gronk a lot. In the super bowl against Seattle Gronk was wide and they put KJ on him and Brady immediately audible into a 9 route for Gronk that resulted in a td. Thomas to fast for a lb and to big for a safety or cb. I like the strategy a lot.

Excellent point. I'm anxious to see us utilize that matchup

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Guys that stood out that maybe haven't been mentioned a ton....

Fletcher Adams
JT Gray
Kobe Jones
Grant Harris
Tre Brown
Marquisse Spencer

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 11:41 AM
The more I watch Nick Gibson, the more I wonder if he may be our best all around RB currently. That guy has a cut back ability like I've never seen. Super impressed with him.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 11:47 AM
The more I watch Nick Gibson, the more I wonder if he may be our best all around RB currently. That guy has a cut back ability like I've never seen. Super impressed with him.

Yeah, he's explosive & runs with some scrappyness.

I love the competition that we'll have all year between Aeris, Gibson, & Hill.

The best thing Mullen can do is rotate this group & play the hot hand. It will create an atmosphere of competition for carries that will ensure we get an unbelievable effort on every carry.

I'm not sure we'll have a 1,000 yard rusher this year. I thought Aeris would for sure be one, but we've got 3 backs that need carries.

Wouldn't be shocked if Aeris ended up with 700 yards, Kylin 450, & Gibson 450 or so.

99jc
09-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Should rename your review The Good....The Bad.....The Ugly.

Clint Eastwood approves this message.

Reason2succeed
09-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Nick Gibson looked almost as good as Kylin Hill. He was shifty and finding the hole. I want to see Mullen really establish the run and then pick apart defenses with the passing game. I'm sure he would call that balance though.

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Should rename your review The Good....The Bad.....The Ugly.

Clint Eastwood approves this message.

How did I not think of that? Thank you