PDA

View Full Version : The truth about this team and coach

Coach007
09-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Addressing the coach: He has developed the best developmental program in the nation. He moved to make MSU a national contender for the next 4 years.

On THIS team:

The truth is this team is way better than most here was giving credit. The defense played with disipline. They played hard, and it took place from 1st string to 4th.

This defense will win the games that we lost last year. 4 games we lost last year due to a lack of defense. Those are Ark, Lsu, Byu, Uk.

The truth is we have some clean up to do on offense. We lost focus and Fitz will have to settle down. We have work horses at rb and the starters are being pushed.

TE are great
Wr need some growth.

Ol just hasnt been tested yet.

We have an opportunity THIS season to make the playoffs.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Addressing the coach: He has developed the best developmental program in the nation. He moved to make MSU a national contender for the next 4 years.

On THIS team:

The truth is this team is way better than most here was giving credit. The defense played with disipline. They played hard, and it took place from 1st string to 4th.

This defense will win the games that we lost last year. 4 games we lost last year due to a lack of defense. Those are Ark, Lsu, Byu, Uk.

The truth is we have some clean up to do on offense. We lost focus and Fitz will have to settle down. We have work horses at rb and the starters are being pushed.

TE are great
Wr need some growth.

I look forward seeing A&M & Tennessee play this weekend, but, my first impressions are that outside of Alabama & Florida State, college football is relatively flat.

I don't think we are play off contender because I don't think we have the OL to run the ball consistently against elite teams & we don't have the polish in the passing game to pick apart top teams.

Bama is clearly the best team in the country & it isn't close.
I think FSU is the 2nd best team depending on Francois' injury

After those two, everyone has significant flaws.

USC & Ohio State looked vulnerable.
Auburn looked meh
I don't know how LSU will beat anyone if their run game is limited
Georgia is solid, but they have a very LSU type feel to them.
Ole Miss has gaping holes on defense & in the run game.
Arkansas looked meh

From what I've seen this weekend, I by no means think we are perfect & don't have our own massive issues, but I think this team has top 10-15 ranking potential. We won't make the playoff or compete for the West, but we are pretty damn solid. We are extremely athletic with speed & playmakers.

If you look at the top 25 rankings, teams 16-25 I think we are better than

16 Louisville 0-0 629 ? We would beat them
17 Florida 0-0 624 ? Can't score
18 Miami 0-0 492 ? Meh
19 South Florida 0-0 327 ? Terrible
20 Kansas State 0-0 317 ? We are way more talented
21 Virginia Tech 0-0 240 ? Lack explosiveness
22 West Virginia 0-0 207 ? Same
23 Texas 0-0 173 ? We would beat by 3 scores
24 Washington State 0-0 133 ? Matchup problem for us, but we are way more talented
25 Tennessee - Haven't seen yet but I'm not expecting much. Probably a lot like Florida with less defensive talent

Coach007
09-03-2017, 11:04 AM
I look forward seeing A&M & Tennessee play this weekend, but, my first impressions are that outside of Alabama & Florida State, college football is relatively flat.

I don't think we are play off contender because I don't think we have the OL to run the ball consistently against elite teams & we don't have the polish in the passing game to pick apart top teams.

Bama is clearly the best team in the country & it isn't close.
I think FSU is the 2nd best team depending on Francois' injury

After those two, everyone has significant flaws.

USC & Ohio State looked vulnerable.
Auburn looked meh
I don't know how LSU will beat anyone if their run game is limited
Georgia is solid, but they have a very LSU type feel to them.
Ole Miss has gaping holes on defense & in the run game.
Arkansas looked meh

From what I've seen this weekend, I by no means think we are perfect & don't have our own massive issues, but I think this team has top 10-15 ranking potential. We won't make the playoff or compete for the West, but we are pretty damn solid. We are extremely athletic with speed & playmakers.

If you look at the top 25 rankings, teams 16-25 I think we are better than

16 Louisville 0-0 629 ? We would beat them
17 Florida 0-0 624 ? Can't score
18 Miami 0-0 492 ? Meh
19 South Florida 0-0 327 ? Terrible
20 Kansas State 0-0 317 ? We are way more talented
21 Virginia Tech 0-0 240 ? Lack explosiveness
22 West Virginia 0-0 207 ? Same
23 Texas 0-0 173 ? We would beat by 3 scores
24 Washington State 0-0 133 ? Matchup problem for us, but we are way more talented
25 Tennessee - Haven't seen yet but I'm not expecting much. Probably a lot like Florida with less defensive talent

There is zero doubt that Bama is the best team through week 1. It was a game of hype and they came out with a passion. It's easier to turn it on against a ranked team than a nobody.

I do think we have a issue with Fitz being to pumped. He missed opportunities in passing. I differ in that we are playoff contenders. I think we have the ability to be a 1 lose team, and with our schedule, I 100% believe that should get us in.

Maroons
09-03-2017, 11:09 AM
We don't have WR's that can win 1-on-1 matchups against high-level DB talent. And we're missing another elite T on the OL. Those are the main reasons we won't win 10 games this year.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 11:12 AM
We don't have WR's that can win 1-on-1 matchups against high-level DB talent. And we're missing another elite T on the OL. Those are the main reasons we won't win 10 games this year.

Sure we do. Not every thing is dependent on WRs. We have talent there, but we have GREAT TEs. That spreads any defense. This OL is going to surprise you.

Dawgowar
09-03-2017, 11:13 AM
I think we have a team that has won one game. I look forward to seeing how we do against a tougher opponent we should handle. Saw a lot more positives than negatives and improvement in past areas of concern. Nothing negative in saying this. Too soon to tell what we really got.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Too soon to tell what we really got.

Of course, but it's not too difficult to compare yesterday to our past selves.

How good are we? I have no clue, but I do know we are better than last year & probably have the best team we've had since 2014

HailState2008
09-03-2017, 11:29 AM

On THIS team:

TE are great
Wr need some growth.

Just wrong. 8 wins max which would be great. Fitz is erratic, no o-line, and the defense might win us 4 games but kicker will cost us at least 1 game.

NCDawg
09-03-2017, 11:33 AM

How good are we? I have no clue, but I do know we are better than last year & probably have the best team we've had since 2014

I agree that I think we are much better on defense. We have 2 really good QB's, very good RB's, and good TE's. The albatross around our neck is still the OL, and the primary reason that we will stand almost zero chance of beating Alabama, and very little chance of beating LSU and Auburn. Our OL ineffective play is why I don't believe we will ever get to Atlanta as long as Mullen persists in keeping Hevesy as offensive line coach.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Exactly. It's not who we played, it's the discipline, knowledge, assignments kept, movement to the ball etc etc. In other words, that's the improvements. We would have won this game with just talent imo. Those things, when mixed with talent, makes things happen in major games. Talent alone will not.

THAT'S what I was looking at.

Bothrops
09-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking 7-5 this year, still. Lack of having a reliable kicker will cost us one game, maybe two. If I had to guess, LSU will be one.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I don't want to guess what our record will be after one game but I will say this team is going to be way better then last season team. After yesterday games there is only one team on schedule I think we absolutely can't beat.

Dawgface
09-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Nothing wrong with being an optimist, wish I had more of that in me. But no way we have the ingredients to make that kind of a run. I'm still going with 7-5 but would love to be surprised with 8 or 9.

Thick
09-03-2017, 11:49 AM

On THIS team:

TE are great
Wr need some growth.

Playoffs?????

Turfdawg67
09-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Sure we do. Not every thing is dependent on WRs. We have talent there, but we have GREAT TEs. That spreads any defense. This OL is going to surprise you.

Thank you! Enough with the WR crap. We have very serviceable WRs... very reminiscent of 2013, the year before Bear's breakout. Our best WR then... slot receiver Jameon Lewis.

Homedawg
09-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Playoffs?????

That's what he said??? Optimism at its highest level. No chance of that. None

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm an optimist by nature but I'm sure we are gonna win 7 maybe 8 and if things break right we could win 9 but playoffs ain't happening this year. And that's not a knock on the team cause I think we are pretty dang good and gonna give some of the big boys heck this year. However you also have to be realistic.

BuckyIsAB****
09-03-2017, 12:38 PM
The one thing I can say with 100 percent certainty is that we will be much better on defense from now on. We looked well coached and played with tremendous energy and discipline. I dont care if it is CSU that defense was wearing that ass out yesterday. La Tech will be a good test they are pretty good. J'mar Smith their QB played at Meridian he is the real deal

TrapGame
09-03-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm an optimist by nature but I'm sure we are gonna win 7 maybe 8 and if things break right we could win 9 but playoffs ain't happening this year. And that's not a knock on the team cause I think we are pretty dang good and gonna give some of the big boys heck this year. However you also have to be realistic.

Agreed. No playoffs but we have a good shot at 8/9 games.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Playoffs?????

Yes. Dont worry... thats not a shot at bama.... lol.

NCDawg
09-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Playoffs?????

Playoffs???? Don't talk about playoffs. You kidding me? I just hope we can win another game.

shoeless joe
09-03-2017, 01:04 PM
I wanna see our D against a team that's capable of completing a forward pass before I make up my mind on anything

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2017, 01:08 PM
I wanna see our D against a team that's capable of completing a forward pass before I make up my mind on anything

Yeh I'm not ready to crown this defense yet. Granted, night and day difference from the opener last year but I'm going to wait until we play a better offense before I get too wooly.

HSVDawg
09-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Florida State isn't the 2nd best team in the country. Not even close. Francois was throwing balls up for grabs the entire 2nd half. They are very good defensively and I expect them to win 9-10 games in the ACC just based on that, but they will struggle against Clemson and probably a few other teams as well.

the59dawg
09-03-2017, 01:10 PM

The ist team OL will be ok if Reese grows to the job. And we will be in trouble if injuries to either LT or RT.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2017, 01:47 PM
The ist team OL will be ok if Reese grows to the job. And we will be in trouble if injuries to either LT or RT.

I'm extremely concerned about O-line. I'm expecting LSU to make our nightmare become reality. The O-line just isn't very good. Why Mullen continues to allow Hevesy to **** our season is beyond me

NCDawg
09-03-2017, 01:52 PM
I'm extremely concerned about O-line. I'm expecting LSU to make our nightmare become reality. The O-line just isn't very good. Why Mullen continues to allow Hevesy to **** our season is beyond me

Beyond you and me and a lot of other State fans.

Dolphus Raymond
09-03-2017, 02:10 PM
I don't want to guess what our record will be after one game but I will say this team is going to be way better then last season team. After yesterday games there is only one team on schedule I think we absolutely can't beat.
Other than politics, I find myself agreeing with Jack Lambert more often than not. "This team is going to be way better than last season's team" is what I came away with yesterday too. Very difficult to predict win/loss, but this team is going to be fun to watch.
I will admit that I know little in the area of "X's and O's" but I was impressed with the discipline of the defense; especially considering the opponent was option oriented. It appeared to me that they were focused on their assignments instead of the ball which, as I understand it, is important.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 02:25 PM

You guys say that every year... ranked #1 or not.

Williams was barely short of 1000 yards that features a Qb over that position.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2017, 02:26 PM
You guys say that every year... ranked #1 or not.

Williams was barely short of 1000 yards that features a Qb over that position.

Come talk to me after LSU. If the O-line holds their own I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong. I just don't see it.

NCDawg
09-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Come talk to me after LSU. If the O-line holds their own I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong. I just don't see it.

As will I, or if the OL holds their own against Auburn or Georgia for that matter. I have zero confidence that we can hold our own against Alabama.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2017, 02:39 PM
As will I, or if the OL holds their own against Auburn or Georgia for that matter. I have zero confidence that we can hold our own against Alabama.

I pretty much write Alabama off. We can't compete. But the other 3 mentioned I expect to at least make it competitive if not win. I think we could make a run at all 3 if the OL can hold up and the passing game gets tighter.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 02:47 PM

I don't know that anyone's gonna hold their own against bama this year. It's crazy to see but this looks like it maybe Sabans best defense. It's scary!

parabrave
09-03-2017, 02:52 PM

when? next year. We were going against a DL where we outweighed them by 70lbs. They were still getting to our /rBs in the backfield.

Pollodawg
09-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Yeah. There's zero chance we go to the play offs.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2017, 03:00 PM
when? next year. We were going against a DL where we outweighed them by 70lbs. They were still getting to our /rBs in the backfield.

Yep. We should have thrown them around like rag dolls.

NCDawg
09-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Yep. We should have thrown them around like rag dolls.

I can see that, you can see that, but a lot of State fans can't, or just don't want to.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Seriously.... i just have to laugh sometimes. We rushed for 281 yards at an average of a little less than 6 per carry making us 19th in rushing yards.

We went into our subs when?? Come on!

Bully13
09-03-2017, 03:48 PM
A good SEC OL doesn't allow a Charleston D so many stuffs at the LOS. the only good running plays I saw were from Fitz or when we got creative with non generic stuff. I don't remember any vanilla straight up the middle successful runs. That shouldn't happen especially considering the size advantage along with the fact Charleston was constantly coming on time and time again after 3 and outs.

Thick
09-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Our subs at RB might be better then the first, definitely better then the second.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 03:59 PM
A good SEC OL doesn't allow a Charleston D so many stuffs at the LOS. the only good running plays I saw were from Fitz or when we got creative with non generic stuff. I don't remember any vanilla straight up the middle successful runs. That shouldn't happen especially considering the size advantage along with the fact Charleston was constantly coming on time and time again after 3 and outs.

Those were not an OL issue. We had some read issues.

Hypnodawg
09-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Our o line play was bad. Their nose guard was whipping anyone on our oline one on one. I'm betting the rest of the teams we play will have d linemen more like the nose guards talent level and its going to be bad. On the plus side, defense looked legit for the first time in a long time.

BrunswickDawg
09-03-2017, 04:55 PM
So let me get this straight - on the first weekend of the season, when only 2 SEC teams are playing P5 competition, we rank second in the SEC in Total Offense (18th nationally) and tied for 2nd in Scoring (tied for 26th nationally), played almost the entire eligible offensive roster, only punted 5 times, racking up 555 total yards and 49 points, our OL is trash, we have no chance to improve, and we are doomed to another underwhelming season.

Y'all some real shitty fans.

Turfdawg67
09-03-2017, 05:29 PM

I rewatched the game and when they got into our backfield it was due to stunts, not by beating our OL heads up. Mostly linebackers spying Fitz and rushing in unblocked. Still not good, but us outweighing them by 70lbs had nothing to do with it. They weren't blowing us off the ball by any means.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
I rewatched the game and when they got into our backfield it was due to stunts, not by beating our OL heads up. Mostly linebackers spying Fitz and rushing in unblocked. Still not good, but us outweighing them by 70lbs had nothing to do with it. They weren't blowing us off the ball by any means.

That's a pretty common game plan when a team knows they're outgunned. Stunt, blitz and sell out and hope you create negative plays. They did that the whole game yesterday.

Turfdawg67
09-03-2017, 05:35 PM
So let me get this straight - on the first weekend of the season, when only 2 SEC teams are playing P5 competition, we rank second in the SEC in Total Offense (18th nationally) and tied for 2nd in Scoring (tied for 26th nationally), played almost the entire eligible offensive roster, only punted 5 times, racking up 555 total yards and 49 points, our OL is trash, we have no chance to improve, and we are doomed to another underwhelming season.

Agreed...

Turfdawg67
09-03-2017, 05:37 PM
That's a pretty common game plan when a team knows they're outgunned. Stunt, blitz and sell out and hope you create negative plays. They did that the whole game yesterday.

Sure it is... that's on the coaches. The comment was in response to us "outweighing them by 70lbs"...

Hypnodawg
09-03-2017, 05:39 PM

That is simply not true. Anytime Sands (57) was in the game and we didn't double him, he pushed his way into the back field. They only credit him with 4 assist, but he was killing our o line.

TrapGame
09-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Precisely.

Kyper
09-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Seriously.... i just have to laugh sometimes. We rushed for 281 yards at an average of a little less than 6 per carry making us 19th in rushing yards.

Thats just it- a good OL produces 400 rushing yards yesterday

Coach007
09-03-2017, 06:07 PM

They didnt create negative plays all day....

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2017, 06:08 PM

All I saw yesterday was a OL that was allowing too many people through on pass plays and getting relatively no push in the run game. Against those Dlmen I question their grit. Hope they get a nasty streak between now and week 2.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 06:09 PM
They didnt create negative plays all day....

Sorry I didn't communicate that well. I meant they stunted, blitz and gambled all day not that they created negative plays all day.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Would have had way more had the starters been left in

Kyper
09-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Would have had way more had the starters been left in

The starters were playing in the 2nd Q when they started stuffing the run. We'll just disagree here. I'll revisit this convo after LSU when we struggle to rush for 50 yards

Coach007
09-03-2017, 06:20 PM
The starters we playing in the 2nd Q when they started stuffing the run. We'll just disagree here. I'll revisit this convo after LSU when we struggle to rush for 50 yards

Lol! The offense as a whole became lethargic. It was a chump team and we were blowing them out.

It was just the just the OL. It was the whole offense

Pollodawg
09-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Don't think we'll underwhelm. We're just not close to a play off team. I still say 9-4.

Coach007
09-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Our schedule will allow a loss to bama and still make it

HSVDawg
09-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Don't think we'll underwhelm. We're just not close to a play off team. I still say 9-4.

I'd be thrilled with that. I'm kinda in the 7-5 camp but cautiously optimistic that it could be better. Win any of the 3 against murderer's row after the La Tech game, that bumps us up to 8-4. Win more than one of those, and we can start talking about what needs to be done to win the West / get into CFP. Yesterday definitely made me more wooly though, not less. Vastly improved D greatly overshadowed the OL question marks.

Really Clark?
09-03-2017, 06:55 PM
The starters were playing in the 2nd Q when they started stuffing the run. We'll just disagree here. I'll revisit this convo after LSU when we struggle to rush for 50 yards

We averaged 6 yards per carry in the 2nd quarter, 4.82 in the first. We didn't run it as much (8 att vs 17) but the avg per rush was higher.

RougeDawg
09-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Our schedule will allow a loss to bama and still make it

This. I saw a drastically improved team yesterday vs 2016. We will compete with every team we play.

There was expected rust, but how many teams has Mullen had that would have pitched a shut out yesterday? Just think about that. We usually give up points to teams of that caliber and lost so USA last year.

For those who can't see this team is every bit of 2014 and maybe more, are trying to find something to bitch about.

GoDawgz
09-03-2017, 07:47 PM

Yeah i thought for a second i was reading the message board from a year ago after the first game........good grief!

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 07:51 PM

Right on!

RocketDawg
09-03-2017, 08:01 PM
This. I saw a drastically improved team yesterday vs 2016. We will compete with every team we play.

There was expected rust, but how many teams has Mullen had that would have pitched a shut out yesterday? Just evil about that. We usually give up points to teams of that caliber and lost so USA last year.

For those who can't see this team is every bit of 2014 and maybe more, are trying to find something to bitch about.

I think you're right, but we'll know a bit better in about two weeks.

HoopsDawg
09-03-2017, 08:20 PM

When you talk playoffs after beating charleston southern, it's hard to take you seriously. But I did see enough talent out there to maybe get to 8-4 and a solid bowl. 8 wins with our schedule would be a great accomplishment.

Kyper
09-03-2017, 08:34 PM
When you talk playoffs after beating charleston southern, it's hard to take you seriously. But I did see enough talent out there to maybe get to 8-4 and a solid bowl. 8 wins with our schedule would be a great accomplishment.

agreed. 2018 is when we are going to be really good. Anything we get this season is gravy

Turfdawg67
09-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Why is this bear still here?

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 08:45 PM

I always like reading Hoops opinion because he is always fair without going to far either way. He calls it without the positive/negative bias of most of us. Just an honest fair assessment. I think we are a really good team with a few warts(like everybody else) and we should win 7-8 games possibly 9 with a few breaks. 2018 is setting up like 2014 for us though and it will be a year to make real noise. Dan has built an extremely solid program and we are setup to be successful for quite awhile.

I_Spy
09-03-2017, 10:57 PM
The truth - when you watch your current team win impressively, the D gives up 2 first downs or something, yet you see the true freshman 'futures' and are still in awe or the word 'shiyat!' Comes to mind

It's a good time to be a bulldog in all sports!

Commercecomet24
09-03-2017, 11:05 PM
The truth - when you watch your current team win impressively, the D gives up 2 first downs or something, yet you see the true freshman 'futures' and are still in awe or the word 'shiyat!' Comes to mind

It's a good time to be a bulldog in all sports!

+1

Coach007
09-03-2017, 11:12 PM

I see 8 wins that will not even come close to MSU breaking a sweat.

La Tech
BYU
Umass
Ole Miss
Ark
Tamu
UK..

None of those games will be a loss. Something terribly wrong would have to happen.

The leaves:

LSU beat us by 3 with a better team than they have now on the road. We are way better and at Home. That's 9.

Auburn.. Not going to lie... They are over hyped and we will see the this weekend. They will not blow us off the field.

Bama.. At home, but we will have a hard time with that game.

UGA... Was not impressed with them vs ap st. Would like to see more.

Of the teams I did not call a win, NONE will walk away and is a for sure win for them.

Reason2succeed
09-04-2017, 12:17 AM
I want to see our safeties and corners get tested and they will this week.

Also, I want to see what adjustment the OL makes. I was disappointed with the pass blocking and the run blocking. We will face much better DL in every other game and that scares me. I was afraid Fitz would get blasted.

The WR & TE need to catch the football. You just can't have that many drops. Hopefully their competitiveness and focus will improve as the season progresses.

Other than that I feel confident in saying we have a talented team that could do great at things if they continue to come together and develop:

I_Spy
09-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Anyone want to debate 'the least' improved SEC team? Just for kicks.

I think offensively we will be ok as KT nearly had 3 TDs in his debut and Nick barely did any running plays - or its like Daks transition. I love Farrod, the D, aeris and Kylin, and the Donald is the Donald.

Or the only thing I worry about, like truly most of you, is what happens when we play a team with a good rush.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-04-2017, 01:07 AM
That is simply not true. Anytime Sands (57) was in the game and we didn't double him, he pushed his way into the back field. They only credit him with 4 assist, but he was killing our o line.

I agree with Hypno. On a number of plays several of the CSU DL would drive our linemen backwards. But to the credit of our guys they rarely released the block and the DL was neutralized in the play. But it is still a concern that our OL is being driven backwards since a more elite DL will probably succeed in disrupting the play.

QuadrupleOption
09-04-2017, 02:35 AM
So let me get this straight - our team managed 5.6 yards per carry (QB's averaged 6 YPC, Aeris was at 5.2 and Kylin was at 6.9), we ran 86 offensive plays, CSU managed 5 tackles for loss and had no sacks and y'alls takeaway was that our OL sucked?

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 07:34 AM
So let me get this straight - our team managed 5.6 yards per carry (QB's averaged 6 YPC, Aeris was at 5.2 and Kylin was at 6.9), we ran 86 offensive plays, CSU managed 5 tackles for loss and had no sacks and y'alls takeaway was that our OL sucked?

Look, the OL has to get better, but some people don't understand football.

It doesn't matter if your playing a high school team, if they bring more defensive players than you can block, they will get penetration.

The sacrifice they make however, is that they are vulnerable somewhere else on defense due to that.

That's what happened. When you watch the tape, their DL wasn't beating us. They were delay blitzing LBs that were able to shoot some gaps. That defense also left things wide open for other plays.

Schultzy
09-04-2017, 07:44 AM
They put 8 in the box and said beat us with the pass which we did some. Hard to tell about the OL yet but our center was working the hell out of Fitz with those snaps.

He's probably only there bc he's the best snapper we got too. I can see us winning 7 or 8 now as good as the D looks.

Not worried about D-Line depth either, Kobe and Thomas and Trey Brown all looked good out there on the field.

Dawgcentral
09-04-2017, 07:57 AM
JWS always said you make your most improvement between the first and second games. I believe that, especially as young as this team is in certain positions.

But making the leap that this team can go to the playoff after whipping Charleston Southern seems really foolish.

Saw some really bright spots on offense yesterday. Can't ever remember being this deep at running back. Farrod Green was impressive, and that other TE is going to make people sorry when they try to tackle him. If he can use his body the way Bear Wilson did it's going to be entertaining. Donald Gray might be the strongest receiver we've ever had.

Like others, I'm looking forward to seeing the secondary tested next week.

It could be a good season if a few things come together. Always felt like we could win 7, but the way things are shaping up in the conference, I'm feeling more positive.

Now waiting on the talk of Dan Mullen going to A&M. Someone put Megan out in front of this. She could eliminate that rumor quickly given the chance. One of the best advocates of the MSU life we've ever had.

msbulldog
09-04-2017, 10:12 AM

Tell 'em Brunswick +1

Coach007
09-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Look, the OL has to get better, but some people don't understand football.

It doesn't matter if your playing a high school team, if they bring more defensive players than you can block, they will get penetration.

The sacrifice they make however, is that they are vulnerable somewhere else on defense due to that.

That's what happened. When you watch the tape, their DL wasn't beating us. They were delay blitzing LBs that were able to shoot some gaps. That defense also left things wide open for other plays.

I agree, everything could stand to get better. That doesnt equal not being able to compete for the opportunity for. Playoff spot.

We went through this with Dak... everybody was "senior year"... this team will compete. I laid out the 9 wins. Now we have to figure out how to game plan for 2 more wins.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2017, 11:25 AM

I saw a few walk on lineman on the field the second half. 1st team pulled after 1st series in the third. If Mullen wanted 1000 yard total offense and 500 rushing he could have done it. Williams was running over guys the second quarter. They were gassed and Mullen could have done what ever he wanted.

Kyper
09-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Why is this bear still here?

because I'm not a Bear perhaps?

Kyper
09-04-2017, 01:05 PM
I see 8 wins that will not even come close to MSU breaking a sweat.

La Tech
BYU
Umass
Ole Miss
Ark
Tamu
UK..

None of those games will be a loss. Something terribly wrong would have to happen.

Hell, we will sweat this Saturday. We should win this one by 14 points tho
Beating Arkansas on the road will be a chore. While we have won the last 2 there- the wins have been in OT and on the last play of the game. This season wont be any different.
We've never won at A&M. It will take everything we've got to win there.

Can we win all 3? No doubt. Will we break a sweat? Damn right we will.

Coach007
09-04-2017, 03:17 PM
See you when the games are over.