PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's Thoughts on Game

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Great start today. We certainly have some things to work on but I just don't see how anyone an not be excited about what they saw today.

Here is are a few thoughts:

- Defense ..... WOW. That is the most organized, explosive, & fastest we've played on defense since Mullen has been at MSU. Sure it was against Charleston Southern, but we've played just as bad of offenses in the past & not looked anything like today. We have really good players on defense with 18 4 & 5 star recruits. It was inexcusable what happened last year. Most of all, the defense needed this. Having a game like this sets the tone & demands that players trust the coaches. As trust builds, so does chemistry & confidence.

- Fitz - Is so darn talented. He was ripping it today. I still want to see him be more accurate while on the move, & his passes have a tendency to sail. He also has a tendency to stare down receivers at times. But, boy is he talented & boy can he make big plays. I saw definite improvement today over last year in his passing ability. Once he's allowed to run & not asked to be a pocket passer, I think he's going to be really good.

- Key - Really talented, just needs experience. Has 1st round tools.

- Running backs - We are loaded at this position. Aeris is a work horse & D Lee looks like a short yardage guy. Gibson runs really hard & Kylin Hill is just going to be awesome. Kylin reminds me so much of a young Frank Gore. A true 3 down running back that can do it all. Don't be surprised if he's a significant part of the offense in the 2nd half of the season.

- TE/WR - Better than expected. What we lack in dynamic playmakers, we seem to have some tough guys that can make a catch & get open. We'll need a deep threat to emerge

- Kicker - We've upgraded but aren't good yet. On raw talent alone, Day may be the most talented kicker Mullen has had, but he's got to find his rhythm. He can boom it & that at least gives us a chance

- Punter - Outstanding.

OL - I realize this is going to be everyone's complaint, but, after watching a ton of college football today, every team looks to have OL issues. Our OL played well at times today & struggled at others (specifically when the the QB running was taken out of the offense.), but I think we have the pieces & parts to be a solid OL as the year progresses. There will be ups & downs with this unit, but I expect them to improve significantly by the LSU game. I think they'll be fine, but not elite.

Overall thoughts - My overall thoughts is that this team has a ton of good players, plays fast, & has a chance to be a damn good football team. I think this is easily our best team since 2014 & has a chance to develop into a top 10-15 type team if everything clicks. At every level of the team, we have really good players.

We certainly did not look like a 5-7 or 6-6 team today. I think 7 or 8 wins is likely & 9 -10 if absolutely everything clicks.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Honest and accurate assessment, Shotgun.

BrunswickDawg
09-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Regarding OL - we recruit guys who work well in the run first spread option. Anytime we haven't run that primarily, the OL has struggled. As soon as they go back to the run focused spread, they get better. It's just a matter of being able to focus all of our personnel on the system we run best.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Regarding OL - we recruit guys who work well in the run first spread option. Anytime we haven't run that primarily, the OL has struggled. As soon as they go back to the run focused spread, they get better. It's just a matter of being able to focus all of our personnel on the system we run best.

I agree with this.

Our main offense is the spread option where the QB is a primary running threat. Whenever, due to not wanting the QB to run the football, chosen to go with a pocket passing offense, we have struggled.

Thing is, it's not just us. Urban Meyer's tenure at Florida basically ended for the same reasons. When pocket pass Brantley was Florida's QB, they couldn't move the ball.

The Mullen/Meyer offense is outstanding, but he QB has to be running for it to work.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Jenkins needs to get his snaps up & the OL needs to develop an identity

Reason2succeed
09-02-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry but the OL looked like hot garbage in the run blocking and pass blocking. I was scared for Nick at times. I'm already having nightmares of Arden Key.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry but the OL looked like hot garbage in the run blocking and pass blocking. I was scared for Nick at times. I'm already having nightmares of Arden Key.

They did at times & the snaps were low most of the time, but the OL will look better when Nick is consistently pulling the read option.

All OLs appears behind this time of year.

Arden Key may not even play when we play them.

Drugdog
09-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Jenkins needs to get his snaps up & the OL needs to develop an identity

My main concern as well. Should get that straightened out. Love the D. Love the TE getting involved.

MSUMatt
09-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Snaps were low and Reese looked like he was playing football for the first time. Good thing is you can crawl there ass because they played poorly and stilled scored 40 points.

shoeless joe
09-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Everybody is going to jump on the hill bandwagon after today...somewhat deservedly. He and aeris should be a great duo. Totally different styles. Aeris wears a D down with hard runs always falling forward. Hill is more of an NFL style back. I think lee will get opportunities early but they will diminish.
Once fitz becomes an actual running threat the RBs should really excel.

I'm actually ok with how kicker went. Kid will be good if the misses today don't screw with his head.

ShotgunDawg
One last thing:

When Fitz talks, he sounds just like Jackson Meadows off Bo Bounds.

Spot on match

Kyper
Dang Jim Jones.

I thought we totally looked like a 7-5 team. Fitz was barely over 50% vs an overmatched D. We certainly lack at WR as we struggled vs a lower level bunch. Lpng way to go for this team

HoopsDawg
09-02-2017, 07:20 PM
They did at times & the snaps were low most of the time, but the OL will look better when Nick is consistently pulling the read option.

All OLs appears behind this time of year.

Arden Key may not even play when we play them.

I'm going to enjoy this win tonight, but you are putting the most positive spin possible with this O-line. I think Reese is going to be a good one in time, but I fear SEC DE's coming off the edge this year. And Williams cannot get driven back like he did a couple of times today. Our O-line recruiting is really hitting hard this year especially when you look at the 2nd string. And we signed 2 Jucos and neither are helping this year.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2017, 07:24 PM
I'm going to enjoy this win tonight, but you are putting the most positive spin possible with this O-line. I think Reese is going to be a good one in time, but I fear SEC DE's coming off the edge this year. And Williams cannot get driven back like he did a couple of times today. Our O-line recruiting is really hitting hard this year especially when you look at the 2nd string. And we signed 2 Jucos and neither are helping this year.

I just think it's too early to panic.

Yes, the recruiting at that position sucks & is inexcusable. I do, however, think this is out best OL since 2014. Not saying much, but it is

HoopsDawg
09-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I just think it's too early to panic.

Yes, the recruiting at that position sucks & is inexcusable. I do, however, think this is out best OL since 2014. Not saying much, but it is

Not panicking, it is what it is. Brandon Hodges started at RG today for Pitt. That one stings.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Not panicking, it is what it is. Brandon Hodges started at RG today for Pitt. That one stings.

Agree, but, after watching Texas today, I'm not exactly sure how good he was. Still stings

Dawgology
09-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Dang Jim Jones.

I thought we totally looked like a 7-5 team. Fitz was barely over 50% vs an overmatched D. We certainly lack at WR as we struggled vs a lower level bunch. Lpng way to go for this team

What's your opinion of the Ole Miss game? I'm POSITIVE you have one. 12-0 but kept out of the Natty just because of the bowl ban right?

Coursesuper
09-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Most of the line played ok, but 73 struggled.

Cooterpoot
09-02-2017, 08:06 PM
OL is a damn mess and WR is basically just one guy. Kicker still sucks.
The rest looks good.

HoopsDawg
09-02-2017, 08:09 PM
OL is a damn mess and WR is basically just one guy. Kicker still sucks.
The rest looks good.

Damn, I wish we would have redshirted Fred Ross and Jamal Clayborn.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2017, 08:12 PM
What's your opinion of the Ole Miss game? I'm POSITIVE you have one. 12-0 but kept out of the Natty just because of the bowl ban right?

I believe you're right on here.

Thick
09-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Anxious to see Sadique Charles (MRA kid, true fresh) starting for LSU at RG. Think he's 77. Won't lie, I wish we could have gotten him, but thought he would have been a RS sophomore before he hit the field. Either he's adjusted really quick to the college game, or LSU is hurting for experienced talent at guard.

Bully13
09-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Too many inside runs got stuffed vs a undersized DL. too many pass plays that looked like they were written in the dirt in the huddle.

the D played like I've never seen. Don't care about the competition, that was 17ing amazing.

Need to get more creative and knowlegeable regarding play calling. too many off up the middle runs when they knew it was coming. don't waste plays. we wasted a lot of them.

deception plays a big deal in offensive production. don't run up the middle when your opponent knows it's coming. get better at quick , unexpected hits in the passing game.

maroonmania
09-02-2017, 08:50 PM

It really does, he was a big missing piece for us to have a chance at being an elite team.

Pollodawg
09-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Offense left some points on the field, but d was on fire. Fitz is still hot and cold.

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Kylin Hill and Aeris Should split the carries. That is a nasty duo. I was so impressed with the energy and speed on defense. We had guys flying around. 0.7 yards per play. That is damn impressive. At one point our front was Fletcher Adams, Jeffrey Simmons, Montez Sweat and Gerri Green. That is up there with Bama in terms of studness

HoopsDawg
09-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Kylin Hill and Aeris Should split the carries. That is a nasty duo. I was so impressed with the energy and speed on defense. We had guys flying around. 0.7 yards per play. That is damn impressive. At one point our front was Fletcher Adams, Jeffrey Simmons, Montez Sweat and Gerri Green. That is up there with Bama in terms of studness

That's as good as Gerri has looked in the maroon and white.

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Dang Jim Jones.

10 different receivers had a catch. Go back to nafoom. Hope you enjoyed the pattern of personal misconduct bowl

Bucky Dog
09-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Our OL does not get the grade of average. We must improve quickly there to compete in the SEC. However, with Fitz and our group of RB, we may just need them to be serviceable. I agree that they don't give Fitz enough time to scan the field and the run blocking is inconsistent at best.

I was impressed early with our receivers and we showed great soft hands. However we did have a few drops with alligator arms across the middle.

Please find a FG kicker.

Our defense, from the first play, is 100 times better. Our speed is there, we lol to be in the right places every play. It was CSU and they are not good but you can see the young guys like Simmons, and Gay and even Leo and others flying to the ball.

Fitz will ball this year for 4000. He's a man, and he's not 40!

CadaverDawg
09-03-2017, 12:02 AM
We better hope Nick gets more accurate, because we will not be able to run the ball in the SEC behind that OL. Way too much sugar coating in this thread.....Reese looked like he was wearing concrete boots at right tackle, and Darryl Williams was getting Blown off the ball. Both of those vs a FCS team...that ain't going to get it done. We need quick OL improvement, but we have a serious issue at RT. Reese is going to get Fitz killed. Screw you John Hevesy, you lazy impersonable bastard. He is putting a cap on our season potential yet again.

D was phenomenal

MarketingBully
09-03-2017, 12:25 AM
We better hope Nick gets more accurate, because we will not be able to run the ball in the SEC behind that OL. Way too much sugar coating in this thread.....Reese looked like he was wearing concrete boots at right tackle, and Darryl Williams was getting Blown off the ball. Both of those vs a FCS team...that ain't going to get it done. We need quick OL improvement, but we have a serious issue at RT. Reese is going to get Fitz killed. Screw you John Hevesy, you lazy impersonable bastard. He is putting a cap on our season potential yet again.

D was phenomenal

I don't think this line's strength was ever great pass blocking. What helped our line out a lot toward the end of last year was Fitz was allowed to run at will. We game planned today like we were scared to get Fitz hurt and it showed. Where were the zone reads that Fitz used to get to the outside last year? I saw two. The play calling called for Fitz and our OL to execute what they suck at. Fitz being a pocket passer and the OL pass blocking. It really sucks because we really could have had better stats for Fitz today. We have a weak OL and usually play callers will call plays to accentuate our strengths and go against our weaknesses. Mullen did the opposite with that play calling today. Oh well with that said, we still won 49-0. Next week our game plan should be what we did against Ole Miss last year. La Tech's run defense sucks.

TimberBeast
09-03-2017, 01:03 AM
Damn can you stop with the gore shit? There are many backs with same ability but gore has mental issues. Do not continue to compare them please.

Todd4State
09-03-2017, 01:03 AM
I was pleased with Fitz overall considering the game plan. Most of his inaccurate throws were when he was fading back in the pocket usually because our blocking wasn't very good. He was basically using all arm and his feet weren't set at all on several of the inaccurate throws. There were a couple of times he probably should have stepped up in the pocket instead of drifting back. Key has a high ceiling and he is fast but he's not quite ready yet.

After that we need a two running back tandem with Aeris and Hill and use Lee as a FB/H-Back. Especially if we use some pro style under the center stuff like we did a few times. I like the idea but it didn't seem to work very well and having a fullback may make it slightly more productive.

Receivers were pleasantly better than I expected. I'm digging Jordan Thomas at WR and Myles played a lot better. I love Todd and Couch and the potential that they have and I hope at least one of them emerge into a regular target for us because of the length they give us. I thought Jesse Jackson played fairly well also. Farrod Green is one of my favorite players on the team.

Offensive line was the typical hot mess. Low snaps from Jenkins. The guard play was not good and Reese looked like a freshman. I'd like to see Jenkins moved back to left guard by Rankin and Moon at center. I thought Moon looked pretty good and I don't know why he isn't the center. Calhoun could then move back to right guard where he looked better. I think Reese probably actually is our best option at right tackle. When you fail at recruiting over and over you inevitably end up in situations like we have at center and right tackle.

The defense was unreal. I loved watching them play today. Simmons is a special player. Our front seven abused them all game long getting penetration on the option and forcing their QB back on the option making them pitch it deep where we usually had one of our monster linebackers waiting to destroy the running back. I was shocked they had 17 yards at the end of the third quarter. Great to see Leo Lewis playing. Sweat is as advertised. The light has gone on for Gerri Green. Dez Harris looked very good as well. Very solid in tackling across the board. Not very many missed tackles.

The secondary certainly wasn't tested a lot but I think they will be pretty good because I only remember one instance where one of their guys was wide open and they couldn't connect on the pass. We'll know more next week.

I thought Day looked better than what we've had before. Some of his kicks were better than others but it was his first game and he has more range than what we've been seeing in the past. Logan Cooke looks like an All-SEC punter. It was good to see Gray returning some kicks and Myles did a solid job on punt returns. Add in Mixon and that's a really solid group.

One thing that stood out to me was that out freshmen and sophomores in general seem to have more talent and upside than our juniors and seniors. That means we had some recruiting misses 3-5 years ago but it also means that we're getting better at it the past two.

bulldawg28
09-03-2017, 05:54 AM
Some of you are totally looney. That game was just what we needed. We MADE them quit on both sides of the ball. It was not a perfect game and it will never be regardless of who we play. However, that team looked nice, really nice. LSU is on trouble. I'm telling you right now. They may not have 175 yards total for the night.

Ari Gold
09-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Dang Jim Jones.

We might end up 7-5.. but that 7th win will be on thanksgiving.

Kyper
09-03-2017, 10:01 AM
10 different receivers had a catch. Go back to nafoom. Hope you enjoyed the pattern of personal misconduct bowl

Against that team, our longsnapper should have had a catch. Defense looks legit but the offense has a long way to go. I only go to Nafoom for the comedy and delusion. I drink Rebel tears the same way you do

Kyper
09-03-2017, 10:02 AM
We might end up 7-5.. but that 7th win will be on thanksgiving.

I hope so because I'll be there that day

TrapGame
09-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Against that team, our longsnapper should have had a catch. Defense looks legit but the offense has a long way to go. I only go to Nafoom for the comedy and delusion. I drink Rebel tears the same way you do

Your long snapper just quit the team. The offense will be fine. We're an 8 win team all day long.

HSVDawg
09-03-2017, 12:03 PM

And you have probably had every IP address you've ever had since the invention of the internet banned from posting over there too. Just a hunch.

FISHDAWG
09-03-2017, 12:14 PM

we started subbing early on the OL ... don't judge them by this game because as a complete unit they only played about half a game

BuckyIsAB****
09-03-2017, 12:48 PM

Ok

FISHDAWG
09-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Some of you are totally looney. That game was just what we needed. We MADE them quit on both sides of the ball. It was not a perfect game and it will never be regardless of who we play. However, that team looked nice, really nice. LSU is on trouble. I'm telling you right now. They may not have 175 yards total for the night.

finally a voice of reason

Kyper
09-03-2017, 05:51 PM
LSU had 11 players suspended last night and almost 500 yards of offense. I completely agree that we will make it tough on them though. Should be a great game

JoseBrown
09-03-2017, 06:17 PM
One last thing:

When Fitz talks, he sounds just like Jackson Meadows off Bo Bounds.

Spot on match

That's for sure. Could you imagine QBJack interviewing Fitz? Haha