PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss long snapper quits team day before season opener

Mobile Bay
09-01-2017, 05:11 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/bad-news-ole-miss-long-snapper-quits-team-day-season-opener/

Special teams is often just as important as offense and defense when it comes to a team's success, and the Ole Miss Rebels just took a big hit on special teams.

As the team prepares for its Week 1 matchup against South Alabama on Saturday, it'll do so without a key player.

On Friday morning, just one day before game day, junior long snapper Chadwick Lamar announced he was leaving the team:

Follow
Chadwick Lamar @Chadwick_Lamar
Proud to have been a part of something so special in OMFB, but I am stepping away from football. Great things to come for Rebs. #hottytoddy
9:38 AM - Sep 1, 2017
4 4 Replies 18 18 Retweets 105 105 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Lamar was the most-experienced long snapper on the Ole Miss roster, but the team has a whopping four other long snappers listed; Jack Propst, Kamden Darney, Cole Becker and Mike Taylor.

Per the Clarion-Ledger's Antonio Morales, Lamar will focus on law school.

Follow
Antonio Morales ✔ @AntonioCMorales
LS Chadwick Lamar tweeted he's stepping away from the program this morning. An Ole Miss spokesman said it was to focus on law school.
12:21 PM - Sep 1, 2017
Replies 1 1 Retweet 2 2 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Based on that depth, it's probably safe to say the Rebels will be fine without Lamar. Still, though, having a player quit the day before a game is never a good sign.

Saturday's game against South Alabama is scheduled to kick off at 6:30 p.m. Central time and can be seen on ESPNU.

msbulldog
09-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Oh well hate it for Mississippi, but I think him putting his education first is the proper thing to do. I mean how many long snappers do you hear about being drafted to the NFL?

RocketDawg
09-01-2017, 05:46 PM
From what I've heard he just wants to concentrate on school. He wasn't on scholarship anyway from what I've heard, so it's no big deal.

shoeless joe
09-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Without a high quality hooker waiting for you after a long hard practice it just doesn't seem worth it anymore

missouridawg
09-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Didn't McReady ask about this at SEC media days? He was really out in front of this story. Kudos Neal.

KB21
09-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Oh well hate it for Mississippi, but I think him putting his education first is the proper thing to do. I mean how many long snappers do you hear about being drafted to the NFL?

Not drafted, but Winston Chapman is still on the Miami Dolphins roster right now. They may keep him over John Denney in a cost cutting move.

Bullsy
09-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Mistakes were made

MaroonFlounder
09-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Without a high quality hooker waiting for you after a long hard practice it just doesn't seem worth it anymore

Props to you for using "hooker", "long", and "hard" in one comment. Awesomeness!

hobiedawg
09-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Looking at the mess these Ole Miss lawyers are making of their NCAA troubles, I'm not so sure an Ole Miss law degree is anything one should covet.

starkvegasdawg
09-01-2017, 07:15 PM
He's gonna rue that decision.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Long Snapper is the safest position on the field period. You Don't have to be big and I am sure someone on the team can do it.

HSVDawg
09-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Usage of "long hard" and "high quality hooker" in a surprising context. Respect.