PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read about athletes' "academics" at FSU

RocketDawg
09-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Borrowed the link from NAFOOM. Does MSU do this? Regardless, it's pathetic and needs to stop. A college course on coffee and wine? Geez ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/sports/ncaafootball/florida-state-football.html

Offshore Dawg
09-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Borrowed the link from NAFOOM. Does MSU do this? Regardless, it's pathetic and needs to stop. A college course on coffee and wine? Geez ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/sports/ncaafootball/florida-state-football.html

"DUGH" I PLAY FUT-BALLL "DUGH". I assure you that FSU is not the only school that sets up courses for those too stupid or lazy or uninterested in learning anything. They have to keep up a passing GPA in order to play ( and make money for the school ). Example Ohio State in the past had a course in scoring Tennis matches. The term student athlete is a pure joke with some players, as all they are interested in is getting to the professional league, and all the school cares about is keeping them eligible.

That ends my rant ::

BB30
09-01-2017, 04:08 PM
"DUGH" I PLAY FUT-BALLL "DUGH". I assure you that FSU is not the only school that sets up courses for those too stupid or lazy or uninterested in learning anything. They have to keep up a passing GPA in order to play ( and make money for the school ). Example Ohio State in the past had a course in scoring Tennis matches. The term student athlete is a pure joke with some players, as all they are interested in is getting to the professional league, and all the school cares about is keeping them eligible.

That ends my rant ::

And... why are you on a sports message board haha. Those same SAs that you get so excited about on saturdays and melt on Sundays you are knocking for being "Dumb". I will be the first to admit it is pretty stupid but I really don't care because regular students take those classes as gpa boosters as well. It isn't just athletes in the majority of classes and its not just football. Heck we had a baseball 101 class when I was coming through. Part of life.. I am sure you never took an easy elective in college?

RocketDawg
09-01-2017, 04:18 PM
And... why are you on a sports message board haha. Those same SAs that you get so excited about on saturdays and melt on Sundays you are knocking for being "Dumb". I will be the first to admit it is pretty stupid but I really don't care because regular students take those classes as gpa boosters as well. It isn't just athletes in the majority of classes and its not just football. Heck we had a baseball 101 class when I was coming through. Part of life.. I am sure you never took an easy elective in college?

The easiest electives I took were American Government and Psychology. Those were considered "humanities electives" and we had only two of those. Courses like English Comp I & II and English Literature were required, so not electives. I don't know what the engineering curriculum is like now, but I certainly hope it doesn't include courses in scoring tennis or bowling. Or baseball 101 (what was that all about??). :)

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-01-2017, 04:24 PM
I know MSU had a wine class in early 2000s bc my sister took it as an elective. Not sure if still offer it. Class was at north farm.

Offshore Dawg
09-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Funny that you asked. By the time I had finished My Petroleum engineering degree I had Mechanical engineering Thermodynamics I & II as free electives. I could of used a few ***** courses but did not have the time.

msbulldog
09-01-2017, 05:19 PM
This is funny, in 1973 as a 1st semester freshman I discovered a course called Football and Basketball officiating. I signed up, I had done some Jr High basketball officiating in high school was paid $35/ boys and girls game, which was good money back in them days. I was interested in catching on with the Mississippi Association of referees so I signed up for the course thinking it would help my resume.
It was me and about 20-25 football players, who were all there on the 1st day of the class. The rest of the semester there was only 3 or 4 of us in the class any day, it was a M/W/F class and most Fridays I was the only one in the class.
That was in the days before FERPA, when they posted your grade on the classroom door by your social security #, when I went to check my grade everybody in the class was given an 'A'. Imagine that!

LanceHarbor
09-01-2017, 05:30 PM
I know MSU had a wine class in early 2000s bc my sister took it as an elective. Not sure if still offer it. Class was at north farm.

You had to know your stuff. But that sh!t was fun!

Do_it_like_a_Big_Dog
09-01-2017, 05:33 PM
A topic suitable for my 2nd post:

Q: "What's the prerequisite for Thermo 1?"

A: "Thermo 1"

msbulldog
09-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Had to be at the Enology Lab, rode up there last year, looks like it's shutdown. I hope not, a fraternity brother got his 2nd degree there and ended up with a excellent job as a master wine maker at a vineyard in N Carolina.

Tbonewannabe
09-01-2017, 06:11 PM
It might be different if college football wasn't the minor league for the NFL.