PDA

View Full Version : Baseball recruiting class ranked 2nd nationally

elitedawgs
09-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Per MSU Baseball twitter.

BREAKING: Collegiate Baseball just ranked us the No. 2 recruiting class in the country. It's our second-highest ranking ever (No. 1 in 1994)

Lefthandersrule
09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
That's what I'm talking about.

Bullmutt
09-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Makes it hard to rein in the optimism!

CJDAWG85
09-20-2013, 11:22 AM
WOOHOO!!!! We finally got a crootin championship over TSUN!!!!

reddog
09-20-2013, 11:28 AM
WOOHOO!!!! We finally got a crootin championship over TSUN!!!!

good one!

MadDawg
09-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Keep in mind, our top 5 recruiting class in baseball came after a very succesful trip to the college world series, an appearance in the national championship game and an overall #2 finish to last season. The Bears top 5 recruiting class came after winning 3 SEC games in 3 years and a win over a 6-7 Pitt team in the BBVA Compass Bowl.

CJDAWG85
09-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Makes perfect sense

Coach34
Keep in mind, our top 5 recruiting class in baseball came after a very succesful trip to the college world series, an appearance in the national championship game and an overall #2 finish to last season. The Bears top 5 recruiting class came after winning 3 SEC games in 3 years and a win over a 6-7 Pitt team in the BBVA Compass Bowl.

and ours was a helluva lot cheaper

601Dawg
With all of the returning talent we have I'm anxious to see how many of our signees get a lot of PT.

IM guessing that Humphries, Allen, Swinarski, and Hudson do for sure.

engie
09-20-2013, 11:39 AM

I get your point(it's a good one), but you are wrong on the bolded part. The vast majority of this class signed last fall BEFORE we made the run to the CWS... So this class doesn't fully see the fruit of that labor yet...

Like many of us have been saying for a long time now -- we are building a damn baseball dynasty boys!

CJDAWG85
09-20-2013, 11:41 AM
The vast majority of this class signed last fall BEFORE we made the run to the CWS... So this class doesn't fully see the fruit of that labor yet...

Like many of us have been saying for a long time now -- we are building a damn baseball dynasty boys!

THIS

M.Fillmore
09-20-2013, 11:45 AM

THIS

Goat Holder
09-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Might ought to win a championship before we declare a dynasty.

Dawgface
09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Great. Now if we could carry it over to football and basketball all would be good in the world. ;)

engie
09-20-2013, 11:50 AM
For anyone interested in hearing about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzt_YkejrY0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUeDDInREzm0nJNnCNFSmVwA

CJDAWG85
09-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Might ought to win a championship before we declare a dynasty.

Yeah I don't want to be another Florida St. That's just embarrassing.

Todd4State
09-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm a little surprised our class was ranked this high to be honest with you. I thought it was a top 15 class though.

Jacksondevildog
09-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Bbbbbut Cohen uses profanity and he doesn't coach like Polk!!!

Goat Holder
09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Or North Carolina. Or Clemson. Ha, funny that they are all ACC schools.

But to be fair, what's more embarrassing is Vanderbilt and Ole Miss.

HancockCountyDog
09-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Does anyone have a link to the rankings, I have a few bear buddies that I would like to send this to.

They are depressed enough about the gap between our baseball programs, so this won't hurt much. lol.

Goat Holder
09-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Swinarski changing from 2014 to 2013 put it over the top. Collins, Humphreys, Tatum, Hudson, Sexton....those are all high level guys. And Young is a top JUCO.

maroonmania
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Man, we are MState. First we just miss out on a national championship and now we just miss out on a recruiting national championship. Sorry, just had to find the dark cloud in there somewhere. :)

Bear@Work
09-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Per MSU Baseball twitter.

BREAKING: Collegiate Baseball just ranked us the No. 2 recruiting class in the country. It's our second-highest ranking ever (No. 1 in 1994)

Hot damn! We just won the day.

Political Hack
09-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Man, we are MState. First we just miss out on a national championship and now we just miss out on a recruiting national championship. Sorry, just had to find the dark cloud in there somewhere. :)

lol. that would be our fans' viewpoint.

C222
09-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Man, I wish I had time to go back and find all those fire Cohen threads. Hilarious.

smootness
09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Man, I wish I had time to go back and find all those fire Cohen threads. Hilarious.

Maybe we still should. We can always improve.

sleepy dawg
09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Uh oh... 2nd? I hope all the bitches are just as pissed about this 2nd place finish as they were with our 2nd place finish on the field this year.

Excellent news.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-20-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm extremely excited for baseball this year. Can't wait for it to begin!

berr6728
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
this #2 class was signed mostly in Nov. 2012, long before our run in CWS

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr6728@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

Jack Lambert
09-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Just what I was thinking.

CadaverDawg
09-20-2013, 04:26 PM
John Cohen is the ****ing Man. He was the best hire MSU could have made, and it was inevitable that he was going to produce a winner. This #2 recruiting class pumps me up, but it pumps me up even more to know that we are probably going to have classes just as good the two years after this one. Cohen is building something incredible.....did you hear that Scott?? Get off your ass and let's get this man a new stadium. He's doing a hell of a lot more against stiff competition than ole Danny Two Gloves.

By the way, the same way I felt about us needing to get Cohen in here....I feel about us needing to get Hudspeth in here.

Dannyripms
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
I know a lot of guys were yelling to fire Cohen, but you could see the team improving even though it didn't show in the win column. I like to look at past coaching records and Cohen turned Kentucky around and has been a winner where ever he was at. And that's what I would like in our fball coach. A proven winner, HUD. The difference between Cohen and Mullen is you could see the improvement. If we were going 5-7 in football but we were steadily improving that would be different. Fball is going backwards and that's why we need a new coach.

Will James
09-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Yeah I don't want to be another Florida St. That's just embarrassing.

I'd like to have their history. All you can ask for is the opportunity in Omaha.

Maroon Diapers
09-20-2013, 06:27 PM
By the way, the same way I felt about us needing to get Cohen in here....I feel about us needing to get Hudspeth in here.

THIS.

Ronny
09-20-2013, 06:36 PM
..but just keep in mind sometimes the school with consecutive #1 recruiting classes can't get out of their own super regional vs. Louisville.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/vanderbilt-s-recruiting-class-ranks-no-1-again-14199/

MsStateBaseball
09-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Baseball America will release their ranking soon. Good to compare the two. We were 10-15 before Young, Heck and Swinarski entered the mix. I don't pretend to know how CB figured the ranking but we got lots of talent on board. I mean we got some very very talented guys. The only measuring stick is wins and how many go pro and how high they get drafted. I am ecstatic. But wait, the 14 and 15 classes....

We will start getting some commits in the coming weeks.

godlluB
09-20-2013, 09:24 PM
and Cohen is True Maroon to the core. He took a pay cut to come here, and I don't think money will convince him to leave (unless he's interested in MLB). He doesn't just want to build a program, he wants to build a program in Starkville.

I know that some of the cigar boys don't like him, but I know a couple of them, and they have changed their song a bit since they got back from Nebraska.

Todd4State
09-20-2013, 11:26 PM
..but just keep in mind sometimes the school with consecutive #1 recruiting classes can't get out of their own super regional vs. Louisville.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/vanderbilt-s-recruiting-class-ranks-no-1-again-14199/

Very true- at the end of the day you have to perform on the field. But as long as we keep getting a good balance of MLB talent type players and guys that are going to be good college players for four years to fill roles, we should be fine.

Also, I think our tradition helps us in that we have a lot of good solid players in the area that want to be a part of MSU baseball and carry on our legacy. And a lot of times, those are the guys that are playing key roles in big games. See Trey Porter against Indiana in the CWS.

Todd4State
09-20-2013, 11:30 PM
and Cohen is True Maroon to the core. He took a pay cut to come here, and I don't think money will convince him to leave (unless he's interested in MLB). He doesn't just want to build a program, he wants to build a program in Starkville.

I know that some of the cigar boys don't like him, but I know a couple of them, and they have changed their song a bit since they got back from Nebraska.

Winning changes a lot of things. Four years ago there was a lot of division within our program between the fans and the staff and the team. I think the healing started with the SR run in 2011, and then the 2012 SEC Tournament Title showed that it wasn't a fluke. And then last year was a special year.

And we are going to need those cigar boys if we want to build a nice stadium to get the money.