08-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Denied

Source?

preachermatt83
08-31-2017, 07:40 PM
last chance u shafts another one

Reason2succeed
08-31-2017, 07:41 PM
That's crazy!!! Even if he took a ton of online classes he still was admitted to State and has passed his classes for the Spring and summer sessions. I don't see what the problem is. Essentially it's like they're saying he didn't really sit out a year in JuCo before tansferring so he has to sit out this year which is actually his second year out of D1. Insane.

pdawg10msu
08-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Denied

Where are you seeing this at?

Commercecomet24
08-31-2017, 07:44 PM
That's crazy!!! Even if he took a ton of online classes he still was admitted to State and has passed his classes for the Spring and summer sessions. I don't see what the problem is. Essentially it's like they're saying he didn't really sit out a year in JuCo before tansferring so he has to sit out this year which is actually his second year out of D1. Insane.

Well put! It makes zero sense! If he qualified to enroll in school and is in good standing how can he be not eligible?

Goldendawg
08-31-2017, 07:49 PM
Guys, wasn't Dontae Jones the poster child for something similar for this when he was at NEMCC and got a ton of hrs to get eligible for us in basketball? I think this led to this rule. Maybe the NCAA hasn't forgotten our involvement all those years ago. He did however help us to the Final Four and was a one and done 1st round NBA draft choice back before that was common. Still think EMCC gets a lot of blame in this.

Madisonmd
08-31-2017, 07:53 PM
I wonder if this is an SEC rule. A few years ago SEC changed its JUCO transfer rules making it more difficult to transfer . A larger % of hours had to be obtained from the JUCO itself and not correspondence courses. Don't know, just wondering?

t45fixer
08-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Sorry. Is he. Not hearing good news.

pdawg10msu
08-31-2017, 07:57 PM
MSU Compliance hasn't received it yet according to Paul Jones and they might not get it until tomorrow. He said the NCAA told them they would answer before the end of the week and that the team is preparing like he isn't able to play.

pdawg10msu
08-31-2017, 07:57 PM
Sorry. Is he. Not hearing good news.
Edit your original post.

Homedawg
08-31-2017, 08:08 PM
We aren't expecting good news.

msstate7
08-31-2017, 08:12 PM
We never expect good news and we're rarely wrong.

Fify

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-31-2017, 08:33 PM
When have we ever won an eligibility issue? He's not going to play this year and it's going to crush him.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-31-2017, 08:36 PM
He left UGA with a 3.8 gpa ...

HSVDawg
08-31-2017, 08:53 PM
He left UGA with a 3.8 gpa ...

I'm sure he's a fairly bright kid. But, the spirit of the rule does make some sense. The fact is, nobody from a Rhodes Scholar all the way down to Jerrell Powe can pass 30 hours of legitimate coursework in the same semester that they are also playing college football. I'm not saying he was cheating or anything, just saying that a fair percentage of those courses were probably along the same challenge level as those BYU courses that Powe took online.

Furthermore, it's our coaching staff's job to know exactly how many hours these kids need to qualify by a certain date, and its also their job to know the specific eligibilty rules for transfers and anything that would raise a red flag to the NCAA. The fact that we had not one but two signees in this same situation is inexcusable. They either didn't know the rule and were trying to get them both to take as many hours as possible to get out in December instead of May, they did know and thought it wouldn't be a big deal and the NCAA would let it slide, or did know and still thought it was worth it to sign them and redshirt them. But you can't just point all the blame at EMCC. They didn't make them take that many hours.

Homedawg
08-31-2017, 09:19 PM
I'm sure he's a fairly bright kid. But, the spirit of the rule does make some sense. The fact is, nobody from a Rhodes Scholar all the way down to Jerrell Powe can pass 30 hours of legitimate coursework in the same semester that they are also playing college football. I'm not saying he was cheating or anything, just saying that a fair percentage of those courses were probably along the same challenge level as those BYU courses that Powe took online.

Furthermore, it's our coaching staff's job to know exactly how many hours these kids need to qualify by a certain date, and its also their job to know the specific eligibilty rules for transfers and anything that would raise a red flag to the NCAA. The fact that we had not one but two signees in this same situation is inexcusable. They either didn't know the rule and were trying to get them both to take as many hours as possible to get out in December instead of May, they did know and thought it wouldn't be a big deal and the NCAA would let it slide, or did know and still thought it was worth it to sign them and redshirt them. But you can't just point all the blame at EMCC. They didn't make them take that many hours.

And he didn't pass 30 hours. There is the problem. His gpa got pounded. He didn't do so hot on the 12 hours of on line courses. So what were we supposed to do? Not sign him? We didn't f this up. Scooba did.

RocketDawg
08-31-2017, 09:23 PM
Maybe a better question is, why was he allowed to take 30 hours in a semester. No normal student does that.

Homedawg
08-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Maybe a better question is, why was he allowed to take 30 hours in a semester. No normal student does that.

He took 21 at scooba. Then to added 12 more on line hours. Like I said. Scooba screwed it up. He's here and we have him 2 more years.

IMissJack
08-31-2017, 09:28 PM

This is an NCAA thing. Lots of people get into State and OM that would not get in some other schools. Our admissions standards are laughable compared to many others. That being said, how in the heck did our people or EMCC not see this as an issue?

GreenheadDawg
08-31-2017, 09:29 PM
This is complete bullshit. Feel bad for the guy. You work your ass off and punished for it

Commercecomet24
08-31-2017, 09:30 PM
This is complete bullshit. Feel bad for the guy. You work your ass off and punished for it

+1

Commercecomet24
08-31-2017, 09:32 PM
And he didn't pass 30 hours. There is the problem. His gpa got pounded. He didn't do so hot on the 12 hours of on line courses. So what were we supposed to do? Not sign him? We didn't f this up. Scooba did.

Exactly! You sign the guy and we did. The geniuses at scooba to busy worrying about last chance u than taking care of the players

Hail State
08-31-2017, 09:35 PM
WTF happened? I thought he got kicked off the team at Georgia for smoking dope? If so why does he need 30 hours? Just take a normal semester and transfer out. The guy is smart and had a 3.8 gpa at Georgia. This is stupid and isn't doing him a lick of good. Let him play.

RocketDawg
08-31-2017, 09:37 PM
This is an NCAA thing. Lots of people get into State and OM that would not get in some other schools. Our admissions standards are laughable compared to many others. That being said, how in the heck did our people or EMCC not see this as an issue?

It's a separate subject, but that's a crying shame, I think.

And yes, I feel bad for the guy. He just has to work hard this year in school and be ready to go for next season.

Steakonastick
08-31-2017, 09:37 PM
Emcc forced him to graduate in December. Instead of taking those extra online courses he could have taken them in the spring and it would have not been a problem. But the scholarships on the out of state guys were already promised to the new d1 transfers. What amazes me is how the school administrators would sign off on this.

I had to meet with a dean my last summer at state to just get approved to take 15 hours of summer school. 1 class in maymester, 2 in June, and 2 in july.

HSVDawg
08-31-2017, 10:57 PM

He passed enough hours to get eligible though, right? If his GPA waa fine, then he didn't need the extra hours to pull it up. Therefore, the only reason he would have needed the 30 hours would be if they were all required courses for his JUCO transfer to go through, which it did. In that case he would have had to pass all 30 hours. Something isn't adding up if what you are saying is correct. In any case, our coaches should have known how many hours he was taking, that the number of hours (which is why this is happening, not the actual grades in the classes) and either put him on an alternate plan to get out in May instead and work with EMCC to get it done, or just move on to another prospect if EMCC doesn't play ball.

I'm still not sure I buy this deal about them pulling his scholarship either. There are any one of 2 dozen or more players who had no D1 offers who's scholarships they could have pulled. Why would they risk pissing off an SEC school by yanking the scholarships of not one but two players who just inked with them?

HSVDawg
08-31-2017, 10:59 PM
He took 21 at scooba. Then to added 12 more on line hours. Like I said. Scooba screwed it up. He's here and we have him 2 more years.

Yeah, and that was all in the same semester which is preposterous. Hell, even 21 hours while playing football is bordering on absurd without even taking the online coursework into account.

Mimi's Babies
08-31-2017, 11:03 PM

EMCC is to work with MSU... What the hell is the problem with Student Aths. counselors at EMCC. Looks like we need a someone who knows what to do employed as a transition counselor at EMCC.

FYI -- this is not the 1st student they have screwed...
21 Hours is the max that a student is allowed to take. IF you cannot pass at EMCC then there is a huge problem. Above it was stated that the student had above a 3.5... he should have aced EMCC.. Depending on where he took the 12 hours -- some of those classes are TROUBLE....

Homedawg
08-31-2017, 11:03 PM
Yeah, and that was all in the same semester which is preposterous. Hell, even 21 hours while playing football is bordering on absurd without even taking the online coursework into account.

No point in discussing it w you further. Carry on.

msbulldog
09-01-2017, 06:13 AM
Well we are loaded in the front 7, this means we have this outstanding player for 2 years more.

Kyper
09-01-2017, 06:23 AM
Well we are loaded in the front 7, this means we have this outstanding player for 2 years more.

We just lost one of our starting 11 on Defense. That is not good at all.

jdwhite
09-01-2017, 06:35 AM
I took 26 quarter hours one quarter and they were all legit in class hours. It did require some creative schedule planning. Like having to cut all my other classes for a week and attend M-S 48 hour one week course to get two credit hours. It would have been easier to do 30 on a semester system because you have more time between classes. I wouldn't recommend trying it though.