PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern

CadaverDawg
08-30-2017, 09:17 AM
I'll start by saying I fully expect us to dominate them. However, with them being an option team, I think it will be a good test in discipline for our defense. My biggest concern with this game is the constant dives at our DL's knees and ankles with cut blocks. That can lead to injuries, which we definitely do not need in week 1.

We should get to see how much our tackling has improved right away, because typically the option teams force you to make tackles in space on the edges. I think it will be an excellent opportunity to showcase our speed and strength at the LB and S positions, as they come up to make plays on the edges.

That being said, the option can make you look dumb if assignments are missed, so I fully expect them to score a few times and have a few big gainers on the ground. But it's hard to imagine this team keeping it within 3-4 scores on us in my opinion. Their defense has dominated their offense in their most recent scrimmages, so ours should be able to flex on them.

AusTexDawg
08-30-2017, 09:55 AM
I'll start by saying I fully expect us to dominate them...That being said, the option can make you look dumb if assignments are missed, so I fully expect them to score a few times and have a few big gainers on the ground. But it's hard to imagine this team keeping it within 3-4 scores on us in my opinion.

I've been thinking the same thing and that it might be close early. I don't know if this is real or just conditioning from a lifetime of following MSU football, but it seems like we're frequently off-kilter during at least the first half of most opening games I remember, with some major lapses in at least one unit that lead to easy scores by the opponent.

Bully13
08-30-2017, 10:10 AM
I still have nightmares of the liberty bowl vs air force.

LC Dawg
08-30-2017, 11:05 AM
I still have nightmares of the liberty bowl vs air force.

Yeah, those future 2nd lieutenants whipped our ass and made us like it.
Hopefully our guys won't be out partying until the wee hours of the morning in Memphis the night before the Charleston Southern game. I think some of our players were still drunk at kickoff of that Liberty Bowl.

The defense always needs a little time to adjust to the option so we need to score quickly on our first few drives and put them away early. I hope Coach Mullen isn't tentative with his offense early.

Jack Lambert
08-30-2017, 01:02 PM
They are going to be a tough out for us but a good tune up game.

BB30
08-30-2017, 01:46 PM
I'll start by saying I fully expect us to dominate them. However, with them being an option team, I think it will be a good test in discipline for our defense. My biggest concern with this game is the constant dives at our DL's knees and ankles with cut blocks. That can lead to injuries, which we definitely do not need in week 1.

We should get to see how much our tackling has improved right away, because typically the option teams force you to make tackles in space on the edges. I think it will be an excellent opportunity to showcase our speed and strength at the LB and S positions, as they come up to make plays on the edges.

That being said, the option can make you look dumb if assignments are missed, so I fully expect them to score a few times and have a few big gainers on the ground. But it's hard to imagine this team keeping it within 3-4 scores on us in my opinion. Their defense has dominated their offense in their most recent scrimmages, so ours should be able to flex on them.

Yea, I really hope our defense shows up. After last year they need to come out and make a statement game one or the melt on here will be terrible haha. We are a decent defense away from having a really good season. Here is to hoping they have figured out how to tackle this season.

Jack Lambert
08-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Yea, I really hope our defense shows up. After last year they need to come out and make a statement game one or the melt on here will be terrible haha. We are a decent defense away from having a really good season. Here is to hoping they have figured out how to tackle this season.

This will be our second year of the 3-4 defense. I think Mullen is committed to running it still. They say it takes a full season to catch on and we have that season behind us and now a new DC who knows how to coach. If I am not mistaking the 3-4 defense is the best defense for option.

I am sure you coaches will correct me.

BuckyIsAB****
08-30-2017, 06:55 PM
They've played Bama so they wont back down. It was still relatively close against them at half last year if I remember right. We'd better have our shit together or it will be USA all over again.