PDA

View Full Version : The CL has FINALLY decided to join the party

Reason2succeed
08-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Kellenberger has finally written an article dismissing the Godfrey narrative and all of the OM conspiracies. It's about time.

http://www.clarionledgersuckscock.com/story/sports/columnists/kellenberger/2017/08/28/kellenberger-only-thing-matters-if-ole-miss-paid-leo-lewis/608719001/?cookies=&from=global

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Copy and paste the text..

dnadawg
08-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis was granted limited immunity during the NCAA's investigation into Ole Miss' football program.

There have been more than a few requests for my thoughts on Steven Godfrey's SBNation.com story Friday regarding Ole Miss, the NCAA and Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis, so here they are: I don't think it's the magic bullet many of y'all seem to think it is.

It?s a fascinating read, and I don't doubt any of Godfrey's reporting. There are things to be learned from it, or re-confirmed:

* Limited immunity is a bit of a sticky wicket, in that these high-profile recruitments are rarely cut and dry and there's plenty of blame and rule-breaking to go around. And the immunity only extends to the player, not the school he ended up signing with.
* Whether or not Lewis is in Covington, Kentucky on Sept. 11 when the NCAA Committee on Infractions meets to discuss this case is going to be the biggest news coming out of that day.
* If Mississippi State the institution was not on board with Lewis and Kobe Jones participating in the NCAA investigation, an alleged conversation between Lewis and an Ole Miss player suggests Dan Mullen was.

But in NCAA v. Ole Miss, it does not matter whether or not Mississippi State also paid Lewis, or if LSU offered the $650,000 his mother is alleged to have claimed (an absurd number for any college football player, much less a four-star inside linebacker, to be sure). It does not matter if Mullen arranged the whole thing. The best hope for Ole Miss fans by going down that path is mutual destruction, not the absolving of any Rebel sin.

(Also, all of this is based on transcripts from a year ago, which makes it new to us but not to any of the parties involved.)

The only thing that truly matters is whether or not the violations Ole Miss is accused of committing happened, and more specifically than that the most damning claim is that Lewis allegedly received $10,000 from Booster 14.

"We arranged it ... because I needed it," Lewis said in NCAA interview transcripts reported on by SBNation. "Well, I didn't need it, I take that back. I asked for it. It was getting, it was getting close to Signing Day and so I just, I just asked for the 10 grand."

It gets murky what Lewis did or did not do with that money, and what money was spent on what, an opening Ole Miss and its supporters have pursued with vigor. But Booster 14 sent that text message ("I need you to call me immediately. We met and agreed upon things. What is going on? You swore to me on your daughter. Please call me. You owe me that.") intended for Leo Lewis to then-Ole Miss staffer Barney Farrar. You can't get around it.

More: Everyone is talking about Mississippi State's Leo Lewis, on and off the field

And keep in mind that this was all happening amidst the NCAA's initial investigation, and Ole Miss' response to the notice of allegations may deny any financial transactions but does acknowledge the existence of an improper relationship between Booster 14 and Lewis. It's not a bad look. It's a terrible one, and how lack of instutional control becomes a real threat.

And that's the field where this ball game is being played.

Gutter Cobreh
08-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Duplicate post

Leroy Jenkins
08-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Either Leo is tax-savvy or it may be a coincidence.... 10K is the limit for gift-tax exclusion 10k and below does not need to be reported to the IRS. You get to keep it all my man.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-29-2017, 09:46 PM
You lost me at don't doubt Godfrey's reporting...

Bucky Dog
08-29-2017, 09:51 PM
You lost me at don't doubt Godfrey's reporting...

He was trying to be nice, but he really questions his Homer motive for the article and basically says, it doesn't make a 17 what Leo is accused by them of doing. He says they need to realize it's about what OM did and this shit is about to get ugly for them and that's what they need to realize. I like how he also throws them under the bus for trying to blame others and bring them down with them.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-29-2017, 09:54 PM
* Whether or not Lewis is in Covington, Kentucky on Sept. 11 when the NCAA Committee on Infractions meets to discuss this case is going to be the biggest news coming out of that day.

Why does this keep being brought up? Dipshit mentioned it in his article....If Leo doesn't show up, he's going to be in sooooo much trouble. If he doesn't show up he could lose his eligibility. He's between a rock and a hard place deciding on what to do.

The NCAA sent notice that Leo needed to be at the COI meeting. Guess what? I'm sure Dan Mullen will make sure he's there. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

And no, shitburger. That is definitely not going to be the biggest news coming out of that day. At least from the reputable news outlets that will be reporting on it.

I'm calling it now....y'all watch....about 10:30 that morning, Yancey is going to tweet that "sources" are telling him that Leo didn't show up and MSU is going down! 5-1 odds. Who wants some?

csdawg13
08-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Either Leo is tax-savvy or it may be a coincidence.... 10K is the limit for gift-tax exclusion 10k and below does not need to be reported to the IRS. You get to keep it all my man.

The IRS reporting portion is correct, but for the actual tax portion, an individual can give away 5.45 million in a lifetime (twice that for a married couple) before any of the money is taxed. Although this gift would arguably fall under the 'promotional' exclusion as well, since the giver would be getting something in return (namely the visit or signature of the student athlete).

https://www.irs.com/articles/7-things-you-should-know-about-gift-tax

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Why does anyone care what the CL thinks

Leroy Jenkins
08-29-2017, 10:10 PM
The IRS reporting portion is correct, but for the actual tax portion, an individual can give away 5.45 million in a lifetime (twice that for a married couple) before any of the money is taxed. Although this gift would arguably fall under the 'promotional' exclusion as well, since the giver would be getting something in return (namely the visit or signature of the student athlete).

https://www.irs.com/articles/7-things-you-should-know-about-gift-tax

Im a little behind the times it used to be 10K... changed in 2014, he could have asked for 14K without having to report it.

ckDOG
08-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Im a little behind the times it used to be 10K... changed in 2014, he could have asked for 14K without having to report it.

Generally the donor is on the hook for taxes not the recipient. Regardless, duffel bags of cash aren't getting reported on anyone's tax return, nor is the recipient (a low income college kid) likely to be audited for any reason.

Howboutdemdogs
08-30-2017, 07:55 AM
Yet, the CL still takes pop shots at us. Plus, the damage is done and the lies / deflection of the truth has already been laid out. Ole Piss now has their delusional fan base believing their twisted narrative. They want the donating fans to believe that this is all LL and MSU. They forget the other 14 infractions.

louisvilledawg
08-30-2017, 08:12 AM

To correct you both, Lewis would've never had to report any amount of gift. Only the donor would have to report it.