PDA

View Full Version : I do not understand how CDM cannot name a starting kicker yet.

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 05:58 PM
They have been competing for over a month, and he says he wants to see how they practice this week before naming a starter. Well that should inspire the hell out of them and really give them a lot of confidence for the season. We all know kickers more than anyone else constantly battle a mental game to stay consistent. Did we learn nothing from last year?

HoopsDawg
08-28-2017, 06:02 PM
They have been competing for over a month, and he says he wants to see how they practice this week before naming a starter. Well that should inspire the hell out of them and really give them a lot of confidence for the season. We all know kickers more than anyone else constantly battle a mental game to stay consistent. Did we learn nothing from last year?

Yeah, you saw on Hard Knox that the Tampa Bay coach thought it was important to go ahead and name the kicker.

Mobile Bay
08-28-2017, 06:08 PM
We have not had anything but a shitty special teams coach since Dan Mullen took over. That being said he could name me right now as the starter and it would be an improvement over last year.

DownwardDawg
08-28-2017, 06:10 PM
I don't understand it either, but it doesn't surprise me. It's the one thing he sucks at....special teams.

Leroy Jenkins
08-28-2017, 06:15 PM
He is looking to push them through competition, he probably has his guy.

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 06:23 PM
He is looking to push them through competition, he probably has his guy.

I have no doubt that is what he is trying, but he has tried this before, including last year at QB and that sucked.

Turfdawg67
08-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Really... started a thread over a starting kicker. Obviously the position will be adequate at best.... it is what it is.

Turfdawg67
08-28-2017, 06:41 PM
I have no doubt that is what he is trying, but he has tried this before, including last year at QB and that sucked.

No he didn't... it was a toss up between Fitz & Williams. You don't know how Damien would have finished if he started all 12 games. I obviously doubt he'd have touched Fitzgerald's performance, but no one thought Fitz would do what he did.

Homedawg
08-28-2017, 06:50 PM

So if we named a kicker that solves what???

Todd4State
08-28-2017, 06:50 PM
My complaint is this:

1. If Day is our punter of the future, I would rather him focus on focus on punting rather than spend a year place kicking.

2. We could and should have offered Mississippi Gulf Coast JUCO kicker who wanted to come to MSU but is going to Texas instead because we wanted wanted him to walk-on.

DogsofAnarchy
08-28-2017, 06:51 PM

He is trying not to make his TRUE FRESHMAN nervous. He also wants his backup to remain focused in case the Frosh can't stand the heat. Does that make sense to you or are you special ed ?

DawgPoundtheRock
08-28-2017, 07:17 PM
We are having a meltdown and we haven't even kicked off yet, and it's over who our starting place kicker will be. Can we wait until we look really mediocre against CSU before we go off the deep end?

dparker
08-28-2017, 07:26 PM

That is just Mullen's M.O. Remember last year when it was naming a starting QB. It was important to him to have Williams and Fitz battle it out. At some point you just have to let someone know they are the man and let them get the reps.

RougeDawg
08-28-2017, 07:29 PM
No he didn't... it was a toss up between Fitz & Williams. You don't know how Damien would have finished if he started all 12 games. I obviously doubt he'd have touched Fitzgerald's performance, but no one thought Fitz would do what he did.

Please tell me you left these ** off?

fader2103
08-28-2017, 07:31 PM
It's easy to understand. Dan gets infront if microphone. Dan gets question about kicker. Dan answers a kicker has not be established yet. Question is answered.

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Wrong

Dawg61
08-28-2017, 07:52 PM
My complaint is this:

1. If Day is our punter of the future, I would rather him focus on punting rather than spend a year place kicking.

You want him to focus on nothing but punting a ball for 3 hours a day? I don't think kicking field goals also will slow his punting development.

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 07:54 PM
He is trying not to make his TRUE FRESHMAN nervous. He also wants his backup to remain focused in case the Frosh can't stand the heat. Does that make sense to you or are you special ed ?

If they can't handle the CSU heat we have lots of problems or are you just a dumb%*$.

confucius say
08-28-2017, 08:28 PM
We are having a meltdown and we haven't even kicked off yet, and it's over who our starting place kicker will be. Can we wait until we look really mediocre against CSU before we go off the deep end?

Wait till we miss a field goal Saturday. This place will be blowing up

confucius say
08-28-2017, 08:29 PM

Not this sh_t again

QuadrupleOption
08-28-2017, 08:32 PM
We have not had anything but a shitty special teams coach since Dan Mullen took over.

Don't really care about the main point of the thread initially, but this statement is just wrong. While I'd love to have a kicker that's automatic from 1-40 yards, Mullen's only had two years of terrible placekicking during his tenure. FWIW, I expect us to me much improved in the kicking game this year.

msunat97
08-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Too busy manipulating the NCAA

DownwardDawg
08-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Too busy manipulating the NCAA

Winner

BuckyIsAB****
08-28-2017, 09:41 PM
It means we dont have a kicker

DogsofAnarchy
08-28-2017, 09:47 PM
If they can't handle the CSU heat we have lots of problems or are you just a dumb%*$.

Don't know where you been the last 8 years you stupid c%#t but yea, no shit we have kicking problems!!

DogsofAnarchy
08-28-2017, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=IMissJack;793499]If they can't handle the CSU heat we have lots of problems or are you just a dumb%*$

I meant no offense when I called you a ****. I just sometimes become a nasty bastard about this time of year!! Go Dawgs!!

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=IMissJack;793499]If they can't handle the CSU heat we have lots of problems or are you just a dumb%*$

I meant no offense when I called you a ****. I just sometimes become a nasty bastard about this time of year!! Go Dawgs!!

No problem, I get revved up also. I am probably also on edge because I live in TX and water is slowly getting closer to my home.

I am frustrated that I have been given no reason to be more optimistic about the kicking game, when it cost us games last year (bottom line).

Kyper
08-28-2017, 10:07 PM
It doesnt matter who the kicker is. None of them will be very good. I look for us to be 50% on FG's and will miss some critical XP's

Todd4State
08-28-2017, 10:09 PM
You want him to focus on nothing but punting a ball for 3 hours a day? I don't think kicking field goals also will slow his punting development.

Yes. It's no different than wanting Keytaeon to focus on playing QB even though I'm sure he is athletic enough to play something else like WR. Punting is different than kicking field goals. Plus if he struggles with kicking field goals I don't want that to bleed over into his punting in the form of hurt confidence.

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Yes. It's no different than wanting Keytaeon to focus on playing QB even though I'm sure he is athletic enough to play something else like WR. Punting is different than kicking field goals. Plus if he struggles with kicking field goals I don't want that to bleed over into his punting in the form of hurt confidence.

I don't disagree with your argument, but in his film, he looked pretty good at punter already.

Todd4State
08-28-2017, 10:27 PM
I don't disagree with your argument, but in his film, he looked pretty good at punter already.

I'm sure he did. But he has never done it at the collegiate level and I'm sure he still has room to develop and I don't want us to do anything to limit that. Plus on top of that if he doesn't win the job then we've burned his freshman eligibility.

Dawg61
08-29-2017, 07:39 AM
Yes. It's no different than wanting Keytaeon to focus on playing QB even though I'm sure he is athletic enough to play something else like WR.

Disagree. A punter also kicking field goals is way different than a QB also playing WR but let's just agree to disagree here. Hopefully we won't have this question/situation occur again.

Mobile Bay
08-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Don't really care about the main point of the thread initially, but this statement is just wrong. While I'd love to have a kicker that's automatic from 1-40 yards, Mullen's only had two years of terrible placekicking during his tenure. FWIW, I expect us to me much improved in the kicking game this year.

Special teams isn't just placekicking. It's also returns, punts, and so on. We have had issues there for years as well. Dumb return attempts being something I notice more of than anything.

QuadrupleOption
08-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Special teams isn't just placekicking. It's also returns, punts, and so on. We have had issues there for years as well. Dumb return attempts being something I notice more of than anything.

I wouldn't say 'issues', just that chances are we weren't going to get a massive punt return or kick return for a TD. Special teams from a non-FG standpoint haven't cost us many, if any, games during Mullen's tenure, but he also hasn't placed a premium on them like Sherrill did. Though now that we have a dedicated ST coach (don't we? or am I mis-remembering that?) I think we'll get better in this phase as well.

Y'all just need to let it play out. Our kickers won't make every FG they attempt - no kicker does. But I don't think it's as bad as some folks want to make it out to be. Competition is always a good thing. If our players can't handle it I'd rather find out about it against CSU than LSU. And if we have problems with CSU then this season's a wash anyway so the kicking situation won't matter.

Dawg61
08-29-2017, 11:43 AM

I am pretty sure we have been above SEC average in special teams during Mullen's tenure. All phases. Calling on Qaoursking (sp) for the data please

Johnson85
08-29-2017, 11:49 AM

No. Mullen was doing his typical thing of using competition to drive improvement as well as rewarding upper classmen who put in their time. After the first game, he realized that he had inadvertently helped divide the locker room and undermined the only QB on the roster with SEC level talent. He admitted he made a mistake in the way he handled it after the first game and named Fitz as the starter for LSU and stated that he was the starter and was not coming out after a few series.

For all the crap Mullen has gotten about being stubborn and not adjusting, that's probably one of the best jobs he's done as far as changing course and going against his preferred approach.

Todd4State
08-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Disagree. A punter also kicking field goals is way different than a QB also playing WR but let's just agree to disagree here. Hopefully we won't have this question/situation occur again.

At best we're costing our future punter a year of eligibility. That's not a good thing.

Dawg61
08-29-2017, 02:47 PM
At best we're costing our future punter a year of eligibility. That's not a good thing.

I agree Mullen has done a total hack job with our kickers last year and this year. I am not happy about it but I am going to let the season play out before I go full melt. Maybe they will surprise us and we'll all have to eat crow. I will be happy to eat some crow if that's the case.

DogsofAnarchy
08-29-2017, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=DogsofAnarchy;793534]

No problem, I get revved up also. I am probably also on edge because I live in TX and water is slowly getting closer to my home.

I am frustrated that I have been given no reason to be more optimistic about the kicking game, when it cost us games last year (bottom line).

Man I'm sorry to hear that!! Hope this note finds you and your family safe from rising water. Gods Speed to dry weather!!

IMissJack
08-29-2017, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=IMissJack;793536]

Man I'm sorry to hear that!! Hope this note finds you and your family safe from rising water. Gods Speed to dry weather!!

Still dry so far at my house. Thanks

BiscuitEater
08-29-2017, 07:48 PM
It means we dont have a kicker

We have more than one kicker and both are doing well. Give it a rest.

BiscuitEater
08-29-2017, 07:51 PM
My complaint is this:

1. If Day is our punter of the future, I would rather him focus on focus on punting rather than spend a year place kicking.

2. We could and should have offered Mississippi Gulf Coast JUCO kicker who wanted to come to MSU but is going to Texas instead because we wanted wanted him to walk-on.

We have a JC FG Kicker that is a SO and reports say BOTH him and Day are doing well.

Turfdawg67
08-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Not sure why I'm contributing to this thread but... UGA just named their starting kicker.

Commercecomet24
08-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Ah, it wouldn't be football season without a good melt before we even kickoff! 'Tis the season!

Todd4State
08-29-2017, 08:25 PM
We have a JC FG Kicker that is a SO and reports say BOTH him and Day are doing well.

If they're both doing equally well the logical thing to do would be to go with Lawless and let Day focus on punting. Instead we have this charade going on because who the hell knows why?

Homedawg
08-29-2017, 08:48 PM
If they're both doing equally well the logical thing to do would be to go with Lawless and let Day focus on punting. Instead we have this charade going on because who the hell knows why?

Just to give you something else to bitch about. Which you do from the end of baseball until the start. Par for the course. It really gets old.

Todd4State
08-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Just to give you something else to bitch about. Which you do from the end of baseball until the start. Par for the course. It really gets old.

Then why don't you just not read it? It's a very legit concern- especially if we don't have a punter four years from now. Just like not redshirting Jamaal Clayborn four years ago has us in a position where we had to break up our best looking right side of our o-line and an inexperienced center this year. I don't know how many teams have their punter kick field goals as a freshman before moving them back to punter, but I would be willing to bet it's a low number.

I'm actually pleased that most of the things that I've "bitched about" have been changed since 2015. I'd like for him to fix a couple more things- but at least Dan is headed in the right direction overall.

By the way- the Left Field Lofts look good in the video I saw today.