PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen Press Conference

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Basically, injuries are the same.

Willie Gay in rotation, Tucker Day competing for place kicking spot.

KT is 2nd string QB but doesn't mean he won't redshirt. Fitz injury/availability a big part of whether he redshirts or not sounds like.

Still no word on Chauncey.

Feel free to add on as it is still going on

civildawg
08-28-2017, 01:15 PM
On Chauncey he said they are filing an appeal so basically they said NO once already.

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 01:17 PM
On Chauncey he said they are filing an appeal so basically they said NO once already.

Correct. Missed that the first time. Saw the quote after.

Pollodawg
08-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Did he promise to wear pants?

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Did he promise to wear pants?

"I think shorts went well last year"***************

Ifyouonlyknew
08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

They said no to Cole & Rivers when their transcripts were looked at. We filed for a waiver because Rivers had a good GPA at UGA & at MSU this spring & summer. The only time his GPA dipped was the semester at EMCC & the main reason was he was taking 30+ hours so they could get him out in January. That's where we're at with it. Hoping that the NCAA sees that as long as he isn't taking 2 semesters worth of classes in 1 semester he's been a good student.

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 01:25 PM
They said no to Cole & Rivers when their transcripts were looked at. We filed for a waiver because Rivers had a good GPA at UGA & at MSU this spring & summer. The only time his GPA dipped was the semester at EMCC & the main reason was he was taking 30+ hours so they could get him out in January. That's where we're at with it. Hoping that the NCAA sees that as long as he isn't taking 2 semesters worth of classes in 1 semester he's been a good student.

I understand the spirit of the rule, but it seems to me that they need some wiggle room with cases like Chauncey. Bit ridiculous

Ifyouonlyknew
08-28-2017, 01:27 PM
I understand the spirit of the rule, but it seems to me that they need some wiggle room with cases like Chauncey. Bit ridiculous

That's why we filed for the waiver for Chauncey.

AROB44
08-28-2017, 01:28 PM
I hope Dan wears shorts Saturday just to watch the melt down on here.

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-28-2017, 01:29 PM

It's like punishment for making good grades.

Pollodawg
08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
"I think shorts went well last year"***************

We certainly came up awfully damned short.

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 01:32 PM
We certainly came up awfully damned short.

Actually just a few inches and really, not short at all ;)

Steakonastick
08-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Blame EMCC on both. They both could have stayed till May and been fine with no problems. But EMCC had already promised their scholarships to incoming transfers. So it was either load up with online courses and finish in December. Or pay their own way for the spring.

DownwardDawg
08-28-2017, 01:49 PM

At this point, so do I!! Would be hilarious!

ShotgunDawg
08-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Blame EMCC on both. They both could have stayed till May and been fine with no problems. But EMCC had already promised their scholarships to incoming transfers. So it was either load up with online courses and finish in December. Or pay their own way for the spring.

This seems like a real ethical issue to me that needs to be looked into by whoever is the governing body of JUCO football.

Seems awfully ridiculous

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Daisy Dukes. Go all out. Relentless effort.

Drugdog
08-28-2017, 02:32 PM
He can "strain" putting them on.

TrapGame
08-28-2017, 02:43 PM

Shit, neon pink Speedo with white Crocs.

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Shit, neon pink Speedo with white Crocs.

Speedo must incorporate "StarkVegas"

FISHDAWG
08-28-2017, 03:40 PM

you mean like they did with Cam and Cecil Newton ?

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 03:47 PM
you mean like they did with Cam and Cecil Newton ?

This would seem to be apples and oranges to me unless there is some aspect to the Cam case that I'm not aware of. This is academic while that was money..

RocketDawg
08-28-2017, 03:52 PM

Was he taking 30+ semester hours in one semester? That is next to impossible. I took 21 one time at MSU and it just about killed me. 3 more courses would be crazy. If that's their reason for making him ineligible, I can understand it.

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Was he taking 30+ semester hours in one semester? That is next to impossible. I took 21 one time at MSU and it just about killed me. 3 more courses would be crazy. If that's their reason for making him ineligible, I can understand it.

Online courses aren't the same as face to face.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-28-2017, 04:03 PM

The fall semester & winter session online. If you all remember they cut it close on whether they were going to be able to enroll in time this spring. That was why they were finishing up online courses.

FISHDAWG
08-28-2017, 04:38 PM
This would seem to be apples and oranges to me unless there is some aspect to the Cam case that I'm not aware of. This is academic while that was money..

The clearing house cleared him to play in the NCG practically overnight ... nothing to do with money or academia

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 04:46 PM
The clearing house cleared him to play in the NCG practically overnight ... nothing to do with money or academia

Oh you meant the timeline. I was referring to the case itself. Gotcha

RocketDawg
08-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Online courses aren't the same as face to face.

From an academic standpoint ... if they're not the same, why do they even have them? College coursework isn't supposed to be easy, athlete or not ....

mstatefan91
08-28-2017, 04:54 PM
From an academic standpoint ... if they're not the same, why do they even have them? College coursework isn't supposed to be easy, athlete or not ....

Ok. So often in face to face classes, you have specific timelines. HW due now, test now, project now, presentation now. And the information is given in accordance to these timelines.

A lot of times in online classes, it's a work at your own pace as long as you meet the end of the semester timeline. You could theoretically crunch out an entire course in 2 weeks or so and then do another and then another..

But sometimes the online course is just easier. It's not a perfect system.

LC Dawg
08-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Basically, injuries are the same.

Willie Gay in rotation, Tucker Day competing for place kicking spot.

KT is 2nd string QB but doesn't mean he won't redshirt. Fitz injury/availability a big part of whether he redshirts or not sounds like.

Still no word on Chauncey.

Feel free to add on as it is still going on

Did he mention that Leo Lewis and Kobe Jones were really responding well to coaching?

Johnson85
08-29-2017, 09:00 AM
The fall semester & winter session online. If you all remember they cut it close on whether they were going to be able to enroll in time this spring. That was why they were finishing up online courses.

So can you explain why exactly they were ruled ineligible? Why the hell does it matter that they took 30 horus in a semester at JUCo when they are following that up with spring and summer school hours at MSU?

If he was a qualifier out of high school, how could taking JUCO classes make him ineligible?

smootness
08-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't the fact that he took 30+ hours in one semester itself be suspicious to them? It would seem it wouldn't just be the GPA but the sheer number of hours he took.

bostondawg
08-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't the fact that he took 30+ hours in one semester itself be suspicious to them? It would seem it wouldn't just be the GPA but the sheer number of hours he took.

This. It has nothing to do with GPA--most universities put a cap on the number of hours you can take in a semester. It's 21 hours/semester at MSU without special permission, if I recall correctly. It's not about his GPA, it's that they flat out don't believe they were quality classes.

Tbonewannabe
08-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Ok. So often in face to face classes, you have specific timelines. HW due now, test now, project now, presentation now. And the information is given in accordance to these timelines.

A lot of times in online classes, it's a work at your own pace as long as you meet the end of the semester timeline. You could theoretically crunch out an entire course in 2 weeks or so and then do another and then another..

But sometimes the online course is just easier. It's not a perfect system.

I took Business Statistics II in the interim at MSU. It was the 2 weeks between Spring and Summer semester. It wasn't an easy class so I imagine if you are taking a easy A type of class then you could bang out the necessary work in less than a week at work at your own pace. It is probably something that is flagged and automatically done now with that type of work load. Then you have to file an appeal to have them really look at it in depth. The timing is my big issue with it. The NCAA couldn't have flagged this 6 months ago so we could already have a ruling on the appeal?

smootness
08-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Seems like going forward, it will be far better to just let a kid get out in the spring than to push so hard to get him out in December and then have the NCAA question the heavy load.

msstate7
08-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Seems like going forward, it will be far better to just let a kid get out in the spring than to push so hard to get him out in December and then have the NCAA question the heavy load.

Great point

Dawg61
08-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Maximum juice on Saturday Dan!!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/61/ae/12/61ae12b5fa2a13b3d1d54a03b8cb2412--borat-meme-movie-quotes.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
This. It has nothing to do with GPA--most universities put a cap on the number of hours you can take in a semester. It's 21 hours/semester at MSU without special permission, if I recall correctly. It's not about his GPA, it's that they flat out don't believe they were quality classes.

I see what you're saying but it is related to GPA. You can be admitted with a 2.0GPA but you have to have a 2.5GPA to be eligible to play football. So if he would've taken 30hrs & his GPA wouldn't have slipped below 2.5 we wouldn't be having this discussion. He's done really well in school since he's been at MSU so we applied for the waiver to see if we can get him eligible.

bostondawg
08-29-2017, 10:29 AM
I see what you're saying but it is related to GPA. You can be admitted with a 2.0GPA but you have to have a 2.5GPA to be eligible to play football. So if he would've taken 30hrs & his GPA wouldn't have slipped below 2.5 we wouldn't be having this discussion. He's done really well in school since he's been at MSU so we applied for the waiver to see if we can get him eligible.

Maybe I missed this, but can we confirm that he had below a 2.5 in his final semester at JUCO? That's obviously personal info, so I'm not shocked if that's not really released. But I guess that could be fueling speculation. I assumed he had a 2.5 and that it was the ncaa raising an eyebrow at the number of hours he took.

confucius say
08-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Rumor is emcc told him he would not be on scholarship in the spring bc they needed his scholly for others coming in January. So he had to get all his spring hours in before January or pay his on way in spring. Not sure if true but I read it on here.