PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Harvey Destruction

Bucky Dog
08-27-2017, 09:44 AM
To take a break from sports, especially it being a Sunday, we need to pray for all of those millions of people around Houston and the coast of Texas as catastrophic and deadly flooding is happening, and is only going to get worse over the next few days. We sit here far removed watching on TV and wondering what could we do to help. There will be Red Cross and many others, including our local churches, headed there in the next days and weeks. I plan to donate money to RC and anything else to local church to help those volunteers going there.

I know we have a lot of Dogs in the Houston area so if any of you can give us updates or let us know how we can help, please do so. Stay safe.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Seen pictures on twitter of an interstate with at least ten feet of water on it.

Dawgface
08-27-2017, 10:25 AM
I've seen reports that they could get 15 to 30 inches more rain.

csdawg13
08-27-2017, 10:36 AM
This was the view out my front window last night before the next round of heavy rain came through:

http://i.imgur.com/NygsthA.jpg

The tree at the water line is a few feet set back from the curb. Luckily no water in the house, and we still have power.

Southwest Houston has taken it pretty rough.

BrunswickDawg
08-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Definitely. Having been through this a little less than a year ago with both Hermine and Matthew, one of the things that keeps you going are friends checking in. Just knowing people out there care enough to touch base from hundreds of miles away provides a certain amount of calm and reassurance in a very stressful time.

Dawgowar
08-27-2017, 11:13 AM
In San Antonio. Been lucky to not see the heavy rain they predicted. More to come and our soil is crap in terms of holding waiter. We are known as 'Flash Flood Alley'. Hopefully the now predicted 3-6 inches over the next four days holds true. I lived here once before in the late 90's. Saw a 100 year flood and it was not pretty. Prayers to all of you in Houston.

missouridawg
08-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Saturday morning vs Sunday morning in Cypress TX. We just moved north some to higher ground.

Reason2succeed
08-27-2017, 12:53 PM
No problems here. Just hunkering down in the house. I'll be stir crazy tomorrow though.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Prayers for all y'all In the path. Went through Camille and Katrina so I know what you're going through. Stay safe!

Bucky Dog
08-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Bump to see if we have anyone around Houston with updates. Missouri are you doing ok? It is horrible watching the news with all of these rescues taking place because it is so much water so rapidly!

msbulldog
08-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Sending donation to Samaritans Purse, they will be there. They were here for months for our flooding in Louisiana the last couple of years.
Prayers have been prayed with more coming.

BrunswickDawg
08-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Bump to see if we have anyone around Houston with updates. Missouri are you doing ok? It is horrible watching the news with all of these rescues taking place because it is so much water so rapidly!
Been texting with SheltonChoked - he's in Cypress. He's high and dry for now, but is up to about 28-30" of rain so far.

csdawg13
08-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Spring Branch I can see the road again where my house is at. I'm staying with family up at lake Conroe, and the lake's risen a little more than 4'. There's supposed to be more rain tonight through Wednesday as Harvey meanders across Houston.

http://i.imgur.com/lvWif7c.jpg

https://natwebsdww01.cr.usgs.gov/nwisweb/data/img/USGS.08067600.140267.62614..20170820.20170827..0.. pres.gif

csdawg13
08-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Update on the lake, it's up another foot (look at the fire pit):

https://i.imgur.com/HR5RvuN.jpg

jdwhite
08-28-2017, 07:02 AM
In San Antonio. Been lucky to not see the heavy rain they predicted.

Yep so far we've dodged the bullet in SA. If Harvey had gone 50 miles farther West into the Hill Country there would have been even more catastrophic destruction to the East due to the flash flooding. Plus it would have made it even harder to evacuate the coast.

Dawgology
08-28-2017, 07:34 AM
Update on the lake, it's up another foot (look at the fire pit):

https://i.imgur.com/HR5RvuN.jpg

Damn, man, be careful out there!

csdawg13
08-28-2017, 09:30 AM
We're up another foot. Still a little ways to go before there's any trouble, and nowhere near how bad they have it in central and southwest Houston. Two friends in different parts had tornados go through their neighborhoods yesterday, many more flooded with feet of water in their homes and evacuating today. This is going to be a mess for the next few months.

http://i.imgur.com/URYRTopr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NDZn43u.jpg

craigmid
08-28-2017, 10:52 AM
32" of rain at my house in Huntsville, TX. not flooded (yet).
I have a flight Friday to Jackson for the game but IAH is closed until further notice.

missouridawg
08-28-2017, 11:10 AM

Thanks for asking. We are doing fine. My house in uncomfortably close to Cypres Creek so we evacuated yesterday to higher ground at the inlaws. The destruction is amazing. Still several feet to go until water gets in the house, though.

If anyone in the Cypress/Tomball area needs some help, DM me and I'll do what I can.

IMissJack
08-28-2017, 06:30 PM
So far we are good, but with the Corps of Engineers releasing water from 2 watershed reservoirs I'm getting nervous.

RocketDawg
08-28-2017, 08:18 PM
32" of rain at my house in Huntsville, TX. not flooded (yet).
I have a flight Friday to Jackson for the game but IAH is closed until further notice.

Can you fly out of another airport? DFW or San Antonio maybe?

Rejlector84sports
08-28-2017, 09:35 PM
This reminds me sadly of the Easter Flood of Jackson back in 1979, and then think of how much worse this has to be (12 inches in 6 hours over Louisville then, looking at 4x that in Houston). I've got my contribution to the Red Cross on the way and hopefully down the line we'll have more chances to help those who helped our home state after Katrina...

Liverpooldawg
08-29-2017, 05:25 PM
This reminds me sadly of the Easter Flood of Jackson back in 1979, and then think of how much worse this has to be (12 inches in 6 hours over Louisville then, looking at 4x that in Houston). I've got my contribution to the Red Cross on the way and hopefully down the line we'll have more chances to help those who helped our home state after Katrina...

My experience with the Red Cross in a disaster was that they were there for the TV cameras. When the cameras left so did they. They did very little.

TXDawg
08-29-2017, 07:05 PM
We are down in League City and have been very fortunate. We lost power for about 36 hours, but the water never even came in our driveway.

Unfortunately, can say the same for many friends and neighbors in the area. It's truly unbelievable.

msbulldog
08-30-2017, 06:06 AM
My experience with the Red Cross in a disaster was that they were there for the TV cameras. When the cameras left so did they. They did very little.

I sent money to Samaritans Purse, Franklin Grahams organization. They hung in West Monroe after the last flooding we had for several months. They helped people clean-up and rebuild.

Bucky Dog
08-30-2017, 06:24 AM

I agree. I gave them a quick$50 but more direct impact happens through local churches with every resource going to the victims. It's been great to see the outpouring from everyone form MS to south LA, giving money and some heading over to Houston this weekend to help.

Liverpooldawg
08-30-2017, 10:46 AM
I agree. I gave them a quick$50 but more direct impact happens through local churches with every resource going to the victims. It's been great to see the outpouring from everyone form MS to south LA, giving money and some heading over to Houston this weekend to help.

That's the way it was in my experience. The churches did more than anyone outside the Federal government.

ETDawg
08-30-2017, 08:43 PM
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/this-is-probably-the-worst-us-flood-storm-ever-and-ill-never-be-the-same/

Ezsoil
08-31-2017, 12:12 AM
Sending donation to Samaritans Purse, they will be there. They were here for months for our flooding in Louisiana the last couple of years.
Prayers have been prayed with more coming.

Thank you !!!! Samaritans Purse has been a godsend.... Do not give to the Red Cross.... we have banned the Red Cross from our subdivision....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-31-2017, 05:35 AM
Thank you !!!! Samaritans Purse has been a godsend.... Do not give to the Red Cross.... we have banned the Red Cross from our subdivision....

This! Find another organization to give too. They're nothing but problems.

ETDawg
08-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Texas Baptist Men is another good organization

starkvegasdawg
08-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Now that Harvey is about to wind down, all attention turns to Irma. Already a Cat 3, many models are taking it up to a solid 5 before weakening some. Track is still uncertain. The GFS takes it close to NC but the euro steers it into the Gulf so anyone from New Orleans to Cape Hattaras needs to stay on top of things.

TimberBeast
08-31-2017, 11:29 PM
Now that Harvey is about to wind down, all attention turns to Irma. Already a Cat 3, many models are taking it up to a solid 5 before weakening some. Track is still uncertain. The GFS takes it close to NC but the euro steers it into the Gulf so anyone from New Orleans to Cape Hattaras needs to stay on top of things.

Damn you are right, that thing is going to put a hurtin on somebody.

Mutt the Hoople
09-01-2017, 06:26 AM

I remember talking with WWII vets, who said the Am. Red cross charged them for donuts and coke. In the meantime, the Salvation Army gave all that away for free.

In the aftermath of national emergencies, they took money that people gave them for that particular disaster and put it in their general operating fund.

If you gotta give, go with the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse, or your local church.

Mutt the Hoople
09-01-2017, 06:27 AM
Texas Baptist Men is another good organization

But what about the Joel Osteen Relief fund? His cash flow is going to take a major hit if he can't hold services this Sunday.

ETDawg
09-01-2017, 11:14 AM
But what about the Joel Osteen Relief fund? His cash flow is going to take a major hit if he can't hold services this Sunday.

Don't get me started on the "feel-good pulpit orator".

(but did see that Tyler Perry gave his "church" $250K )