PDA

View Full Version : Does the NCAA have Some Kind of "Obstruction of Justice" Penalty?

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Was just thinking that, due to Ole Miss' consistent leaking of Leo Lewis information, they are on the verge of completely destroying the NCAA's ability to use immunity in order to investigate.

Obviously, since the NCAA does not have subpoena power, the utilization of immunity is absolutely vital in the NCAA's quest to reign in rouge programs.

If OM has single handedly ruined the NCAA's ability to do that, then shouldn't the NCAA have power to levy an additional penalty on OM for basically obstructing justice?

I realize they have exemplary cooperation, but they don't appear to have a term to describe schools on other end of the spectrum that obstruct the process.

Reason2succeed
08-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Not yet. Me thinks that the NCAA will have to invent some new terms to deal with OM. They have never faced a school administration this corrupt. "Culture of noncompliance" is far to tame for what is going on.

coachnorm
08-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Look at how Jackie Sherrill has had his justice impeded by the NCAA in the past. Also, pay attention of the Todd McNair saga with the NCAA still trying to quash justice even though their guilt has been exposed emphatically? So how does the NCAA have any standing to sanction anyone or any group for obstruction of justice?

JoseBrown
08-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Exemplary cooperation is about it.

I just don't see how Umiss or anyone else will ruin the NCAA ability to use immunity as leverage. I mean, leverage on the SA to comply. They had the goods on Leo. They could've taken his eligibility from him for taking Umiss' money. He was offered a get out of jail free card, finish connecting the dots, admit he accepted the money, and face no consequences for it. Now, Umiss has drug him thru the mud as a consequence, but he has kept his eligibility and the money.

Remember Ken Griffiths, he did it against us, for a $300 class payment.
Then I believe Buckles and Spencer did too, my memory fades on those two, but my Umiss friends don't know. Those are the names I've been throwing at them when they start crying about immunity.

I just, personally, can't see the NCAA's use of immunity being damaged at all in this case. It's their strongest leverage. Which is why they use it sparingly, to keep it that way.