PDA

View Full Version : Scott Stricklin chat transcript

slickdawg
09-19-2013, 05:58 PM
3:00

Scott Stricklin:
It's 3:00 p.m. Hope everyone is having a great day.
3:00

Comment From Chao Dawg
Having a great day!
3:01

Scott Stricklin:
Glad to hear it, Chao.
3:03

Comment From Steven
Mr. Stricklin, longtime reader first time poster. I enjoyed seeing all the new things for Alcorn. Will be there be anything else new this week?
3:03

Scott Stricklin:
Steven - From a stadium expansion standpoint nothing new this week, other than they continue to work on the new north section. Gates will open 2 hours and 15 minutes before game time this week (4:15 pm) instead of 3 hours.
3:04

Scott Stricklin:
I'm told there will be a couple new videos on the big board this week.
3:04

Comment From Guest
Did yall get the ribbon boards fixed for Saturday?
3:05

Scott Stricklin:
Yes. The section of the ribbon board with game stats and out-of-town scores was an issue last game, along with the PA volume. Those have been addressed.
3:05

Comment From Kent
Have there been improvements made to the sound quality from the PA system since the last game? I sit in section 5 and the sound was very muffled last game.
3:06

Scott Stricklin:
Let us know if it's any better Saturday.
3:06

Comment From Jeff Chao
How is the expansion timeline coming along?
3:07

Scott Stricklin:
On schedule. Fans should be able to tell a difference between now and Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving as work continues in the north.
3:07

Comment From danny
hey scott I cant remember. are we gonna update the baseball field or something?
3:08

Scott Stricklin:
At Coach Cohen's request, putting turf in some of the foul territory this offseason. Long-term, we will begin engaging season-ticketholders to get everyone involved in the process of renovating. Let me know if you have any ideas.
3:10

Comment From Jonathan
Who made the decision to not outline the steel elevator tower with brick on the East side of elevator. Very disappointed in the appearance from the East side of stadium. Seems we should have outlined in brick with a nice black rail to match entry gates.
3:11

Scott Stricklin:
That was the architects' design. Opportunity exists to come back and address if need be. Does seem to need something there, doesn't it?
3:11

Comment From Guest
After the new end zone expansion gets completed, will the the west side & east side be level with each other or will you have to walk down steps where east & end zone come together?
3:12

Scott Stricklin:
Good question. A staircase will connect the east and north concourse due to elevation change.

Comment From Chris
Scott, can we bring back the dogbone helmet decals back for classroom and on-field performance?

Scott Stricklin:
That's Coach Mullen's call, but I'll be happy to pass that along.
3:13

Comment From Kent
I want to commend you on the improvements made to the west side concourse. They are great!

Scott Stricklin:
Thanks.

Scott Stricklin:
Glad you liked them.

Comment From raoul
Alabama just committed 30 million to a new baseball stadium

Scott Stricklin:
I saw that. Cost of doing business keeps going up, doesn't it :)
3:14

Comment From jim
Scott when complete will all the student seating be in the endzone and will this open any addtional eastside premium seating
3:15

Scott Stricklin:
jim - Students will be in sections 08 through 17, which includes north endzone and two sections on north end of east side.
So, sections 18, 19 and 20 will become available to Bulldog Club members. These are prime locations from a yard-line standpoint, covering midfield down to about the 20-yard line.
3:16

Scott Stricklin:
Listening to iTunes Radio during this chat. John Mellencamp's "Jack & Diane" just came on. Good tune.
3:17

Comment From JM
Is there a plan to rennovate East Side (bathrooms, ground leveling, concessions), similar to that recently completed on West Side?
3:17

Scott Stricklin:
JM - I'm sure that will happen eventually, but there are no immediate plans on the east side. Some cosmetic upgrades are more likely in the near future.
3:19

Comment From Justin
I've heard the new dawgzillatron in the north end zone will be as big as the current one. When will that go up? Is it something that has to wait until the rest of construction is finished?
3:19

Scott Stricklin:
Justin - The new video board will be the same size as the existing board. (That's a bunch of LEDs!!!). The structure that will hold the board is part of the stadium project, and that structure will begin being put into place after the work that supports it is in place.
3:20

Comment From Stevo
How many sideline seats will expansion open up for Bulldog Club members on the east side next year?

Scott Stricklin:
Stevo - About 3,000 or so

Comment From Davey
Scott, do you like cardigan sweaters? Additionally, in response to Chris' question about the helmet stickers, the shoulder patches indicating majors (we used when Jackie was here) was awesome.
3:21

Scott Stricklin:
Davey - I'm not big on cardigans. Don't mind a sweater vest, but it has to fit right.

Those academic patches were unique, weren't they?

Comment From jim
Scott where will the entry or entries be from the stands to the Gridiron club be located

Scott Stricklin:
They'll be an 'express' stairwell to the Gridiron from the north concourse.
3:22

Comment From Jake
Is there a way to get from the East to the West side this season or is it completely blocked off?

Scott Stricklin:
Jake - there's a pathway at field level (in front of the construction) that is open for fans who wish to move from east to west.

Comment From Denver Dawg
Is Saturday a sellout yet?
3:23

Scott Stricklin:
DD - Not yet. Less than 500 tickets remain as of yesterday. Haven't received an update yet today.
3:24

Comment From BatDawgRilla
With the new SEC network set to launch next August, does the department have plans to bolster the video/marketing department? I would imagine our multimedia opportunities would greatly expand next year. Thanks!
3:25

Scott Stricklin:
Yes. ESPN has provided a "needs assessment" for each SEC school. From an infrastructure standpoint, we are in fairly good shape, although we will have to make some equipment purchases.
3:26

Comment From Stevo
I read Bulldog Club members outside of the top 2,000 will be given a time to log into their account and select seats for 2014. How will that work exactly?
3:26

Scott Stricklin:
Stevo - Bulldog Club will provide a 'virtual Davis Wade Stadium' online that will allow members to go online and see what the view is from available seat locations.
3:27

Scott Stricklin:
TICKET UPDATE: 140 tickets remain for Saturday's game vs. Troy.

What it do, Scott Stricklin?

Scott Stricklin:
It do

Comment From Jonathan
How are Gridiron and Scoreboard sales coming? What percentage of each have sold and remain.
3:29

Scott Stricklin:
We have deposits for roughly one-third of the Gridiron memberships and Scoreboard Club seats (Pretty good considering we are still 11 months from 2014 kickoff.)
The 22 new suites have all been sold, along with 98% of the Loge seating. We've been pleased with the response.
3:29

Comment From Guest
When do softball/tennis/soccer renovations take place?
3:30

Scott Stricklin:
Guest - As soon as funding can be identified. Looking for donations to help until new SEC Network money comes in.

Comment From Guest
The rectangular boards on dawgzillatron, have y'all ever thought about putting live stats & scores on it throughout the game.(Similar to Reliant Stadium)

Scott Stricklin:
The current side panels are completely sold as ad inventory, but the ones on the north end may be used for the purposes you mention.
3:31

Comment From Kyle
How do we plan to improve audio acoustics from the Jumbotron post-renovation? I feel the current system has been hard to hear or understand at certain points.

Scott Stricklin:
Hopeful that current system can be adjusted to eliminate concerns, but at some point we may have to install a 'distributed' sound system at DWS similar to what we did a couple years ago at Dudy Noble Field.

Comment From Ohio
Any chance we are looking to improve our tv commercials. They're unique, but seem to be cheaper and less creative than rest of the SEC. I love your leadership!
3:32

Scott Stricklin:
Ohio - I'll pass that along to the campus folks who provide those spots.

Comment From Ohio
Can we make the bulldog logo less UGA and more MSU?

Scott Stricklin:
Maybe UGA should make their logo less MSU ...

Comment From Noah
I see Niblett has done a lot more on Facebook and Twitter for the baseball team. Will he do a lot more once fall ball gets going and of course during the season? Stats, ect.
3:33

Scott Stricklin:
Noah - he better! Kyle does a great job, and I know he's excited about his new responsibilities with our baseball team and overseeing all social media efforts.
3:33

Comment From Stevo
You passed me near the end of the Watermelon Classic 5K in July. When is your next race? I want revenge.
3:34

Scott Stricklin:
I'm just thankful not to have finished last :)

Comment From Jon
Any ribbon boards for the north end zone?

Scott Stricklin:
Just the huge video board and side panels, similar to south endzone

Comment From James
Besides personalized bricks, are there any other plans of a statue/s or other cosmetic enhancements when you walk in new Stadium. Also, I always liked back in the day when Dudy Noble Field had a sign of each SEC Team on outfield wall. It would be cool having the different SEC flags wave above Scott Field?
3:35

Scott Stricklin:
Good idea on the flags.

Re:cosmetic additions, always open to ideas ...
3:36

Comment From jim
Scott adding 6k plus addtiona seats I theink would add approx 1500 to 2000 addtional needs for parking . What are the plans for addressing this need
3:37

Scott Stricklin:
The Gameday Committee is constantly working with campus on ways to provide more parking opportunities. Shuttles to downtown and research center have helped in recent years.
Our campus has been blessed with several large constructions projects, which is great for health of MSU, but adds more challenges to gameday parking.
3:38

Comment From Guest
What about ribbon boards & new jumbotron in The Hump?

Scott Stricklin:
Needs to happen.

Comment From Guest
I understand that the visitor locker room will move to the north endzone. What are plans for the current visitor locker room?

Scott Stricklin:
Expand recruiting center that is currently next to visitor locker room.
3:40

Scott Stricklin:
Thanks for all the questions. Hope my answers were somewhat coherent. Look forward to seeing everyone at Davis Wade Stadium Saturday.
Two keys to a successful life ... 1) be positive and 2) never quit!!! Hail State!

TheRef
09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Visitor locker room directly under the student section? I see this ending badly.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Is that chat monitored?

I would be like- Dear Scott- just tell us right now- is Dan toast? Build a new freaking awesome baseball stadium.

Love the World Famous Todd4State.

TheRef
09-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Is that chat monitored?

I would be like- Dear Scott- just tell us right now- is Dan toast? Build a new freaking awesome baseball stadium.

Yes it's monitored. He basically picks and chooses which ones to answer.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Visitor locker room directly under the student section? I see this ending badly.

I like it. We need to make our stadium as intimidating as we can.

For some reason, the opposing team running out while the Candy Man is leading a one man pep rally and the blue heads are telling people to sit down just doesn't seem like it would strike fear into the hearts of the opponents.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 06:11 PM

That makes a LOT of sense based on the questions. It looks like a feature on Genespage.

Coach34
09-19-2013, 06:12 PM

yeahhhhhh, there was no way in hell he didnt get a Mullen-hotseat question

engie
09-19-2013, 06:17 PM
It's gotta be moderated, I would think...

Glad to see he's going to talk to season ticketholders on the plans for baseball before moving forward though. I think he will find the vast majority agree with us on what needs to happen. The SECNetwork money should make that reality alot simpler...

(goes to trusty calculator and figures the money currently being left on the table for DNF season ticket sales and particularly premium ticket sales)....

Dawg61
09-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Did I read that right, we are getting a 2nd Dawgzillatron? 17ing AWESOME!!

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Is that chat monitored?

We aren't building a new stadium. You know that I know that. Might as well stop wishing.

hacker
09-19-2013, 06:52 PM
What it do, Scott Stricklin?

Scott Stricklin:
It do

I laughed

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 06:54 PM
It's gotta be moderated, I would think...

Glad to see he's going to talk to season ticketholders on the plans for baseball before moving forward though. I think he will find the vast majority agree with us on what needs to happen. The SECNetwork money should make that reality alot simpler...

(goes to trusty calculator and figures the money currently being left on the table for DNF season ticket sales and particularly premium ticket sales)....

Oh he's taking ideas. But trust me, much of the ideas you guys want- aren't feasible w his model. Some changes yes. But a bunch I've seen on here no. Don't know what u specifically want engie just remember the board ideas.

engie
09-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Did I read that right, we are getting a 2nd Dawgzillatron? 17ing AWESOME!!

Where have you been?

http://static.ow.ly/photos/normal/QUCD.jpg

Dawg61
09-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Haha I don't know how I missed that? That's 17ing awesome!! So we know have TWO of the 2nd biggest jumbotron's in college football.

engie
09-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Oh he's taking ideas. But trust me, much of the ideas you guys want- aren't feasible w his model. Some changes yes. But a bunch I've seen on here no. Don't know what u specifically want engie just remember the board ideas.

His model is already in the process of a forced change... It was ready to be "announced" late this year but the winning and regionals are already forcing it to be rewritten. And my guess is that our money people aren't going to stand for being second rate in baseball.

I want a bigger Trustmark Park -- with more suites -- AND a club level with little-to-nothing being done to the outfield. I only want a berm built for students beyond the right field lounges similar to what Swayze has(lowering a few right field lounges a little -- or just building the berm high).

Bama acting is going to force us to act. They are spending $30 mil. Ole Miss spent $20 mil in 2009. We can't do anything less to DNF and stay on par with those other schools who we compete with for recruits and "fans".

Done correctly, a "new" stadium will pay for itself with increased revenue...

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 07:05 PM
His model is already in the process of a forced change... It was ready to be "announced" late this year but the winning and regionals are already forcing it to be rewritten. And the money people aren't going to stand for being second rate in baseball either.

I want a bigger Trustmark Park -- with more suites -- AND a club level with little-to-nothing being done to the outfield. I only want a berm built for students beyond the right field lounges similar to what Swayze has(lowering a few right field lounges a little -- or just building the berm high).

Bama acting is going to force us to act. They are spending $30 mil. Ole Miss spent $20 mil in 2009. We can't do anything less to DNF and stay on par with those other schools.

Done correctly, a "new" stadium will pay for itself with increased revenue...

When u say club level, do u mean above the current grandstand?

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 07:07 PM
As for the outfield, something is going to have to be done at some point. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen in its curren form. They all know it. It's like concussions in the nfl, ignoring it will make it worse. I have seats in the grandstand but I sit in outfield. I don't want a change. Butit can't stay exactly like it is for sure. Someone is going to get killed.

BHildreth3
09-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Dog bone decals - forgot about those

engie
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
When u say club level, do u mean above the current grandstand?

Wherever it works at. I have noticed that it's kinda hard to place a club for baseball...

One option is to build 2 levels of skyboxes(make them more "premium" in the locations) and build a club directly below the pressbox....

I'm telling you -- I sat in a skybox through Feb and early March -- it's the way to go. WELL worth the money when split up between x number of people(in baseball)...

Problem is that they've been sold out since day 1 and never open up for anyone else...

engie
09-19-2013, 07:31 PM
As for the outfield, something is going to have to be done at some point. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen in its curren form. They all know it. It's like concussions in the nfl, ignoring it will make it worse. I have seats in the grandstand but I sit in outfield. I don't want a change. Butit can't stay exactly like it is for sure. Someone is going to get killed.

Need to hire a safety man to approve is all...

I find it funny that people feel they are so dangerous -- yet they pack the hell out and the ONLY one we've ever had collapse out there is the one the school itself built...

The 2 that I frequent are solid as a rock and I'm confident would meet all OSHA requirements for safety...

bobcat91
09-19-2013, 08:03 PM
The discussion on DNF is classic Scott. Translation: We don't have a damn thing planned and I'm lazy and haven't raised any money.

His whole job is to monitor the sports, monitor coaches, upgrade facilities and raise funds. How's he doing?

The fact that we had nothing in the way of plans after our CWS run tells you that he doesn't plan for anything which is not good for his position. As far asthe season ticket holders, they are fine with the status quo. They got a sweetheart deal when it was built and have no desire to have anything that looks like reseating. What a joke.

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
We aren't building a new stadium. You know that I know that. Might as well stop wishing.

Why in the hell not? This type of "oh boo hoo, we can't afford it so just give up" thinking just pisses me off.

Look objectively at what Arkansas, LSU, UM, and Texas A&M have and now what Bama is about to have. How in the hell are we supposed to compete with these team for recruits in the facilities arms race without tearing down the outdated and poorly designed grandstand that we currently have? When Miss. State has an opportunity to make ourselves a national power in one of the major sports, we have to jump all over that chance and cut no corners. That means no polishing of turds when it comes to DNF. Windows of opportunity like this don't come around very often for us in any sport, so we must do everything we can to elevate our program ASAP while we are still in the national spotlight. Baseball is OUR thing damnit. We take a backseat to NO ONE.

Everyone knows how I feel, and we have been over this many times. I really don't feel like getting into it too deep again.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I want to lower the field and allow the grandstand to have field level seats. The lowest seats in the current grandstand are on top of a 6 footwall. Trustmark, SCAR's stadium, and most MLB stadiums all have field level seats.

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 08:09 PM

I find it funny that people feel they are so dangerous -- yet they pack the hell out and the ONLY one we've ever had collapse out there is the one the school itself built...

The 2 that I frequent are solid as a rock and I'm confident would meet all OSHA requirements for safety...

Exactly. Just hire someone to inspect the fixtures before they are supposed to be put in. If one is unstable, tell them what to do to fix it.

It wouldn't be that hard.

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 08:10 PM
I want to lower the field and allow the grandstand to have field level seats. The lowest seats in the current grandstand are on top of a 6 footwall. Trustmark, SCAR's stadium, and most MLB stadiums all have field level seats.

THIS X1000

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Wherever it works at. I have noticed that it's kinda hard to place a club for baseball...

One option is to build 2 levels of skyboxes(make them more "premium" in the locations) and build a club directly below the pressbox....

I'm telling you -- I sat in a skybox through Feb and early March -- it's the way to go. WELL worth the money when split up between x number of people(in baseball)...

Problem is that they've been sold out since day 1 and never open up for anyone else...

I think we will have more boxes. How many more I don't know.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 08:22 PM

When u hire a safety man to approve it, it puts u on the hook even more when they put too many on a rig and it fails. I've had numerous talks with lawyers about this very thing. As for people feeling dangerous, I don't mine is fine. Many are fine. However, when a regional takes place and a frat rig has three time TE capacity on it- sooner or later it will fall. I pray no child is underneath. It's going to happen sooner or later. And if it doesn't great, but why play with fire? Webe already wen sued by that dickhead Doyle Bryan who had a child fall thru the bleacher and he pounce w a lawsuit. (I have no idea how it turne out, although I can find out).

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 08:23 PM

I'm not an engineer, I have no idea how feasible this is. Sounds good In theory.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Why in the hell not? This type of "oh boo hoo, we can't afford it so just give up" thinking just pisses me off.

Look objectively at what Arkansas, LSU, UM, and Texas A&M have and now what Bama is about to have. How in the hell are we supposed to compete with these team for recruits in the facilities arms race without tearing down the outdated and poorly designed grandstand that we currently have? When Miss. State has an opportunity to make ourselves a national power in one of the major sports, we have to jump all over that chance and cut no corners. That means no polishing of turds when it comes to DNF. Windows of opportunity like this don't come around very often for us in any sport, so we must do everything we can to elevate our program ASAP while we are still in the national spotlight. Baseball is OUR thing damnit. We take a backseat to NO ONE.

Everyone knows how I feel, and we have been over this many times. I really don't feel like getting into it too deep again.

Ole miss didn't build a new stadium- they added on to what they had. Ark built the one they have now 10 yrs ago. The one they had before was a shit hole. As for lsu, Bama and a&m, let's be honest, we aren't a comparable to them in the $ category, like it or not. Unless you know someone who wants to pony up $10 mil or so it's a moot point. And with that said any upgrade is going to cost lots of money. Just not what a new place cost. Not even close.

engie
09-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm not an engineer, I have no idea how feasible this is. Sounds good In theory.

Problem with lowering the field is that Strick just spent somewhere between $1 and $2 million redoing the playing surface and drainage. That is wasted money if we go that route...

His foresight on this stuff is not very good IMO. I also hated the fact that he has no imminent plans to renovate the east side of Davis Wade and is ok with putting in a STAIRCASE to transition from east to north...

East side should have been renovated in THIS stage of construction. Just do the west side one offseason and the east side the next. We had approved funding up to $80+ mil and only used $69 mil. Should have been a given that you go ahead and apply the same template all the way around IMO...

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 08:33 PM
The discussion on DNF is classic Scott. Translation: We don't have a damn thing planned and I'm lazy and haven't raised any money.

His whole job is to monitor the sports, monitor coaches, upgrade facilities and raise funds. How's he doing?

The fact that we had nothing in the way of plans after our CWS run tells you that he doesn't plan for anything which is not good for his position. As far asthe season ticket holders, they are fine with the status quo. They got a sweetheart deal when it was built and have no desire to have anything that looks like reseating. What a joke.

First, Strick was supposed to know we were going to the finals? And after we did he should have something ready in 2 months? Yea. Second, without the people who put up moebu up front, we wouldnt have the current DNF. Howbwould you solve that problem? Go by priority? Bc that's the next option available. Tell me your solution I'm all ears. Honestly.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Homedawg- tailgating anywhere is also a "lawsuit waiting to happen". Some drunk guy could come up to me, mistake me for someone and knock my teeth out. There was a big fire at the Vandy/Ole Miss tailgate this year. That doesn't mean that they should do away with the Grove or we should stop tailgating in the Junction. I could trip and fall while going to my seat in the grandstand as well and get a spinal cord injury. "Lawsuits waiting to happen" are everywhere. That doesn't mean you live your life in a jar. You don't think MSU has insurance?

The funny thing to me is I would bet a good many of the structures in the LFL are built by engineers and architects. In other words people that know what they are doing when they're building something.

engie
09-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Ole miss didn't build a new stadium- they added on to what they had.
Correct. They spent $20 mil and STILL don't have a modern stadium design that it is the league with Arky, LSU, or USCe. They(and aTm) made what will prove longterm to be a monumental mistake. It's like spending a bunch of money upgrading a carburetor when fuel injection is available for 50% more money. The stadium designs are THAT different in the enjoyment of baseball... That's why practically all major league stadiums have started over in the past 15-20 years...

Ark built the one they have now 10 yrs ago.
As the first open concourse design in ALL of college baseball. They were ahead of the curve with Baum. They also built in modularly -- so it can be expanded yearly with additional chairbacks down the lines/outfield and skyboxes while maintaining the same exact look. Baum today has little in common with when it was built. It's expanded almost every single year in some regard. That's the beauty of the "new generation" SEC stadiums....

The one they had before was a shit hole.
Who cares what they had 20 years ago?

As for lsu, Bama and a&m, let's be honest, we aren't a comparable to them in the $ category, like it or not.
We ABSOLUTELY ARE comparable to them in the $ category for baseball. Why do people think they are building these badass baseball stadiums as a CHARITY with surplus football funds for the hell of it? Why aren't they building $30 mil softball complexes then -- you know -- since all that extra football money is just burning a hole in their pocket? The REAL fact is that these schools are building these stadiums with financial models to MAKE MORE MONEY with them. Bama might be the exception -- but I almost guarantee they won't be longterm. They had badass baseball fan support back in the day.

Unless you know someone who wants to pony up $10 mil or so it's a moot point.
Come out and say that we want to build a world-class facility -- and MSU people will pony up like NO ONE ELSE for baseball. That much, I guarantee. Now, nobody is spending SHIT right now -- because they don't trust Stricklin to handle this like we all want done. I know several bigtime MSU boosters that would be happy to give 6-7 figures toward making us the BEST again. They aren't spending money on a facade improvement though...

And with that said any upgrade is going to cost lots of money. Just not what a new place cost. Not even close.
Ole Miss spent 72% of what it cost to build Trustmark Park brand new at roughly the same time...to still have a stadium built on 40 year old technology/amenities...instead of modern technology/amenities...

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 08:50 PM

That worries me a lot as well. They have NO clue about how much better Dudy-Noble can be and should be. And then there are some that have this crazy idea that there is "magic" in the grandstand and it helps us to win. Bear in mind too- these are the same people that tried to run off Cohen for cussing.

Their idea of a good baseball venue is:

1. Dudy-Noble
2. Omaha
3. New Hope High School
4. Tupelo High School

And quite possibly in that order.

engie
09-19-2013, 08:54 PM
That worries me a lot as well. They have NO clue about how much better Dudy-Noble can be and should be. And then there are some that have this crazy idea that there is "magic" in the grandstand and it helps us to win. Bear in mind too- these are the same people that tried to run off Cohen for cussing.

Their idea of a good baseball venue is:

1. Dudy-Noble
2. Omaha
3. New Hope High School
4. Tupelo High School

And quite possibly in that order.

Trust me, there are PLENTY of season ticketholders with perspective...

bobcat91
09-19-2013, 09:14 PM
First, Strick was supposed to know we were going to the finals? And after we did he should have something ready in 2 months? Yea. Second, without the people who put up moebu up front, we wouldnt have the current DNF. Howbwould you solve that problem? Go by priority? Bc that's the next option available. Tell me your solution I'm all ears. Honestly.

Only an idiot has no plans for a facility that has been in need of a serious upgrade for years. On top of that Cohen was promised an upgrade when he came. Its been five years and tere are zero plans available. What have they been doing during this time? Plans are he cheapest thing we can do so that should have been already done and fundraising eshould be either in the silent phase or set to begin. As far as the ticket holders, pay the big sums to keep your seat or get the hell over to the bleachers. Basketball was first, football will be reseated after the season and baseball should be next. Sorry that we live in the highly competitive SEC but the days of the good ole boy sweetheart deals are over.

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 09:32 PM

I worry about this a lot too. Many of the old season ticket holders don't realize how far behind our grandstand/press box/ skyboxes are, not to mention how bad the bleachers are, as well as the sightlines.

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Ole miss didn't build a new stadium- they added on to what they had. Ark built the one they have now 10 yrs ago. The one they had before was a shit hole. As for lsu, Bama and a&m, let's be honest, we aren't a comparable to them in the $ category, like it or not. Unless you know someone who wants to pony up $10 mil or so it's a moot point. And with that said any upgrade is going to cost lots of money. Just not what a new place cost. Not even close.

So should we just give up trying to have nice facilities?

Look, nobody is expecting this thing to happen overnight. What I (and I assume others here) want is for us to have designs for a new, state-of-the-art, open concourse grandstand w/ skyboxes and a nice pressbox and announce this ASAP to capitalize on our CWS run. Really, these designs should have been done a long time ago, since this has been a known problem for at least a few years now. Now, do I expect us to raise the funds in one month? Hell no, but the sooner we get this out there, the sooner the money will be raised.

I'd MUCH rather us take a few years longer to raise money, build, etc. something done right and state-of-the-art, than watch Stricklin grin like he's done something special while announcing plans for simply polishing a turd. We would save money in the long run, and have a much nicer facility in 8-10 years than we would if we just renovated.

What many people also don't seem to get is this is an investment in the future of our program. We are leaving so much money on the table on premium seating alone that it's not even funny. That doesn't even include the additional revenue we'd get from people who'd normally be sitting in the bleachers actually buying season tickets and gameday tickets. This new grandstand would not be wasted money; it would pay for itself and then some over time. Try not to see it as a burden now, but instead see this new grandstand as an asset for the future. Try to look ahead at this as a visionary.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Correct. They spent $20 mil and STILL don't have a modern stadium design that it is the league with Arky, LSU, or USCe. They(and aTm) made what will prove longterm to be a monumental mistake. It's like spending a bunch of money upgrading a carburetor when fuel injection is available for 50% more money. The stadium designs are THAT different in the enjoyment of baseball... That's why practically all major league stadiums have started over in the past 15-20 years...

As the first open concourse design in ALL of college baseball. They were ahead of the curve with Baum. They also built in modularly -- so it can be expanded yearly with additional chairbacks down the lines/outfield and skyboxes while maintaining the same exact look. Baum today has little in common with when it was built. It's expanded almost every single year in some regard. That's the beauty of the "new generation" SEC stadiums....

Who cares what they had 20 years ago?

We ABSOLUTELY ARE comparable to them in the $ category for baseball. Why do people think they are building these badass baseball stadiums as a CHARITY with surplus football funds for the hell of it? Why aren't they building $30 mil softball complexes then -- you know -- since all that extra football money is just burning a hole in their pocket? The REAL fact is that these schools are building these stadiums with financial models to MAKE MORE MONEY with them. Bama might be the exception -- but I almost guarantee they won't be longterm. They had badass baseball fan support back in the day.

Come out and say that we want to build a world-class facility -- and MSU people will pony up like NO ONE ELSE for baseball. That much, I guarantee. Now, nobody is spending SHIT right now -- because they don't trust Stricklin to handle this like we all want done. I know several bigtime MSU boosters that would be happy to give 6-7 figures toward making us the BEST again. They aren't spending money on a facade improvement though...

Ole Miss spent 72% of what it cost to build Trustmark Park brand new at roughly the same time...to still have a stadium built on 40 year old technology/amenities...instead of modern technology/amenities...

First, ole miss spent $20 mil on the renovation? Last I saw it was 12. Not saying you are wrong but never saw anything close to 20. And if they spent 20 they got screwed. Second, why is open air so important? Watch the game from your seat. If you want something to eat, have it delivers to it. It's available. If you are in the bathroom you can't see anyway. Thirdly, we are comparable to them in baseball income. Yes, actually way ahead on income but we all lose money on baseball, yes even us. The others just lose more. Why are they not spending that on softball? Because they probably dot even charge to get in softball and if they do it's next to nothing. They are doing it because they want to compete in everything as best they can. That is the only way. To say they are building it to make money is nuts. Come on engie, you are better than that. As far as the people willing to spend 6-7 figures that's possible. Typically speaking the excuse being used on Stricklin is just that, an excuse. On that says, oh I would have given this if he had done this, whatever. Although there is a big difference between 6&7 figures. If they want to then I feel certain they will pony up and we have nothing to worry about. However, considering we have only had less than 10 single gifts of 7 figures or more to the athletic dept i find it hardto believe we have multiple 7 figure givers for this project. Hope I'm wrong.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Homedawg- tailgating anywhere is also a "lawsuit waiting to happen". Some drunk guy could come up to me, mistake me for someone and knock my teeth out. There was a big fire at the Vandy/Ole Miss tailgate this year. That doesn't mean that they should do away with the Grove or we should stop tailgating in the Junction. I could trip and fall while going to my seat in the grandstand as well and get a spinal cord injury. "Lawsuits waiting to happen" are everywhere. That doesn't mean you live your life in a jar. You don't think MSU has insurance?

The funny thing to me is I would bet a good many of the structures in the LFL are built by engineers and architects. In other words people that know what they are doing when they're building something.

I'm not referring to tailgating. I'm talking about a trailer falling down and people, lots of people being hurt. And if you think most of those rigs have engineers and architects involved then u haven't been out there much. As far as your insurance remark- I don't know but insurance won't be enough to cover someone who does because of negligence. And truly that's what this is- I'm sorry. An I repeat- I stay in the outfield, I don't want it to go away! I'm sure our insurance really lives the Doyle Bryan case. And that was on the bleachers!!!!!

CadaverDawg
09-19-2013, 10:18 PM

You are 100% on the money

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Only an idiot has no plans for a facility that has been in need of a serious upgrade for years. On top of that Cohen was promised an upgrade when he came. Its been five years and tere are zero plans available. What have they been doing during this time? Plans are he cheapest thing we can do so that should have been already done and fundraising eshould be either in the silent phase or set to begin. As far as the ticket holders, pay the big sums to keep your seat or get the hell over to the bleachers. Basketball was first, football will be reseated after the season and baseball should be next. Sorry that we live in the highly competitive SEC but the days of the good ole boy sweetheart deals are over.
Ok that's fine, you want it to go to priority- fine. That will bring even better crowds to the games. And actually very little more money. Look it's not like you are kicking me to the bleachers. I'm fine. Plus there wont be bleachers anyway. They will be gone. As far as good ole boy deals, im all for pony up- webhave enough free loaders, and a shit pile on this board and all they do is bitch! As far as Cohen and his upgrade, he has gotten everything, everything he has asked for. Make that wanted.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 10:29 PM
So should we just give up trying to have nice facilities?

Look, nobody is expecting this thing to happen overnight. What I (and I assume others here) want is for us to have designs for a new, state-of-the-art, open concourse grandstand w/ skyboxes and a nice pressbox and announce this ASAP to capitalize on our CWS run. Really, these designs should have been done a long time ago, since this has been a known problem for at least a few years now. Now, do I expect us to raise the funds in one month? Hell no, but the sooner we get this out there, the sooner the money will be raised.

I'd MUCH rather us take a few years longer to raise money, build, etc. something done right and state-of-the-art, than watch Stricklin grin like he's done something special while announcing plans for simply polishing a turd. We would save money in the long run, and have a much nicer facility in 8-10 years than we would if we just renovated.

What many people also don't seem to get is this is an investment in the future of our program. We are leaving so much money on the table on premium seating alone that it's not even funny. That doesn't even include the additional revenue we'd get from people who'd normally be sitting in the bleachers actually buying season tickets and gameday tickets. This new grandstand would not be wasted money; it would pay for itself and then some over time. Try not to see it as a burden now, but instead see this new grandstand as an asset for the future. Try to look ahead at this as a visionary.

Why is open concourse so important? I don't get it can we not just greatly improve what we have? Just for giggles, if we build a new stadium, what are we supposed to do in the year we are building it? Play every game in Jackson? Because we will have an entire season without a stadium unless we move it from its current place.

engie
09-19-2013, 10:43 PM
We make money on baseball. Have since the 80s. THAT was the real "modernization of SEC baseball" that Polk brought. We proved it was more than a money pit -- and that's when LSU fell in line among others. AND if we aren't MAKING money right now, that just shows how MUCH bigger the problems are with Dudy Noble than people are admitting -- because LSU, USCe, OM, and Arky are all churning a nice profit...and I imagine aTm is as well...

Again -- you can say that nobody is making money on this stuff -- but "come on engie you are better than this" really? Ok -- so does the extra revenue for tripling the premium seating just get flushed down the tubes? I just gotta know...

IF it wasn't financially feasible and responsible to build these palaces, NOBODY would build them... Period... Arguing that these teams are spending the $$ on "money pits" is STILL devoid of logic. Why spend big money to continually lose money PERIOD? The same EXACT principle still holds true with the softball analogy -- losing money is losing money. The fact that "baseball doesn't lose as much as softball does yearly" is negligible by your reasoning that a stadium is a one-time expense.

And on OM:

Baseball Stadium Expansion

Following the multi-million dollar renovations prior to the 2009 season, gameday at Swayze Field continues to provide fans one of the best experiences in all of college baseball.

The $20 million renovation included: box and grandstand seats extending down the first and third baselines; the Diamond Club area, including 880 club seats; additional concessions and restroom facilities; a state of the art locker room and team meeting room; and a new playground for families to enjoy.

engie
09-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Why is open concourse so important? I don't get it can we not just greatly improve what we have? Just for giggles, if we build a new stadium, what are we supposed to do in the year we are building it? Play every game in Jackson? Because we will have an entire season without a stadium unless we move it from its current place.

Why we can't "greatly improve what we have":
1) The angle the grandstand is built at prevents decent sightlines down the foul lines. There is nothing that we can reasonably do to remedy this that still looks/functions decent.

2) We need more premium seating. The existing skyboxes are half ass. We need a new press box as well. Also need a club level.

3) We need additional chairbacks. A bunch of them. See #1. Do you think LSU, Ole Miss, and Arky are kicking our ass in actual attendance? No. They are selling more season tickets -- because they have more season tickets to sell. We've got 4300 chairbacks. We sell roughly 6k season tickets. NO ONE is buying season tickets to sit in those bleachers. No one will buy season tickets multiple times to sit in a chairback that gives them a crick in their neck down the foul lines. We need 6500 overall chairbacks... conservatively...

4) We need to get out of the lifetime seating licenses. That's a huge problem with the stadium right now. And my uncle has 4 seats...so I know all about that side of the coin.

5) We fancy ourselves the JONESES in baseball. We're the only team in the country currently with a fullfledged baseball IPF. We've got fan support like no other -- practice facilities like no other -- and a stadium that, when it was built, was like NO OTHER(in 1986), but is currently like MANY others -- and is a whole generation behind in design.

This stadium situation is a STATEMENT either way. Either we're fine with being second rate in a sport that we've ALWAYS been first rate. Or we still want to be FIRST RATE and play with the big boys. The stadium, as it currently exists, has been slowkilling fan support for a decade plus. When you visiting these facilities for the first time, you can sit in the bleachers at MSU and get a crick in your neck. OR you can bring in beer at Ole Miss and party in the outfield with hot girls. You tell me which is going to be more attractive. As an "outsider", they kick our ass. Have for awhile. We've GOT to evolve DNF to be more "inclusive" instead of the currently divided "exclusivity". And I say that as someone that has season tickets, can go to the skyboxes anytime I want outside of about 2 weeks a year, and have free reign in 2 rigs in the outfield... So "I" get to see the great side of DNF -- but I'm fully aware of all the people that don't.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 11:21 PM
We make money on baseball. Have since the 80s. THAT was the real "modernization of SEC baseball" that Polk brought. We proved it was more than a money pit -- and that's when LSU fell in line among others. AND if we aren't MAKING money right now, that just shows how MUCH bigger the problems are with Dudy Noble than people are admitting -- because LSU, USCe, OM, and Arky are all churning a nice profit...and I imagine aTm is as well...

Again -- you can say that nobody is making money on this stuff -- but "come on engie you are better than this" really? Ok -- so does the extra revenue for tripling the premium seating just get flushed down the tubes? I just gotta know...

IF it wasn't financially feasible and responsible to build these palaces, NOBODY would build them... Period... Arguing that these teams are spending the $$ on "money pits" is STILL devoid of logic. Why spend big money to continually lose money PERIOD? The same EXACT principle still holds true with the softball analogy -- losing money is losing money. The fact that "baseball doesn't lose as much as softball does yearly" is negligible by your reasoning that a stadium is a one-time expense.

And on OM:

No we haven't made money on baseball since the mid 80's you would be bad wrong. Have we ever? Yes. Yearly and now no. Do the math. And if you think ole miss is you are drinking the kool aid. Period. Lsu maybe. Ark maybe but doubt it. The rest hahahahahahhahahahahha.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 11:23 PM

And on OM:

I said the stadium is a one time expense? No I didn't. Where?

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 11:31 PM
1) The angle the grandstand is built at prevents decent sightlines down the foul lines. There is nothing that we can reasonably do to remedy this that still looks/functions decent.

2) We need more premium seating. The existing skyboxes are half ass. We need a new press box as well. Also need a club level.

3) We need additional chairbacks. A bunch of them. See #1. Do you think LSU, Ole Miss, and Arky are kicking our ass in actual attendance? No. They are selling more season tickets -- because they have more season tickets to sell. We've got 4300 chairbacks. We sell roughly 6k season tickets. NO ONE is buying season tickets to sit in those bleachers. No one will buy season tickets multiple times to sit in a chairback that gives them a crick in their neck down the foul lines. We need 6500 overall chairbacks... conservatively...

4) We need to get out of the lifetime seating licenses. That's a huge problem with the stadium right now. And my uncle has 4 seats...so I know all about that side of the coin.

5) We fancy ourselves the JONESES in baseball. We're the only team in the country currently with a fullfledged baseball IPF. We've got fan support like no other -- practice facilities like no other -- and a stadium that, when it was built, was like NO OTHER(in 1986), but is currently like MANY others -- and is a whole generation behind in design.

This stadium situation is a STATEMENT either way. Either we're fine with being second rate in a sport that we've ALWAYS been first rate. Or we still want to be FIRST RATE and play with the big boys. The stadium, as it currently exists, has been slowkilling fan support for a decade plus. When you visiting these facilities for the first time, you can sit in the bleachers at MSU and get a crick in your neck. OR you can bring in beer at Ole Miss and party in the outfield with hot girls. You tell me which is going to be more attractive. As an "outsider", they kick our ass. Have for awhile. We've GOT to evolve DNF to be more "inclusive" instead of the currently divided "exclusivity". And I say that as someone that has season tickets, can go to the skyboxes anytime I want outside of about 2 weeks a year, and have free reign in 2 rigs in the outfield... So "I" get to see the great side of DNF -- but I'm fully aware of all the people that don't.

Thank you.

90% of the people who argue for renovation rather than rebuilding are old-time season ticket holders who think DNF is fine. Well, guess what? For them, it is totally fine. They get their great box seat behind the dugout, see everything from where they're sitting, and think all is well for everyone else in the stadium. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate all they have done for MSU baseball. I realize their support has been huge. I really do. But at the same time, these people don't understand how difficult it is for people without a hook-up to get a decent seat/spot to watch the game. The atmosphere is terrible for someone who is just trying to get into MSU baseball, therefore it has been difficult for us to attract newer/younger fans. Cohen has talked repeatedly about how we must continue to attract a new/younger audience. That's not to say we don't appreciate the older fans, because we do. In order for MSU baseball to grow though, we must be inclusive.

With a new grandstand with good sightlines, everyone who wants to come to a game can have a great seat and a good experience without having to know someone. As for the importance of an open-concourse, that is just the way good stadiums are designed today. All the extra space and better views that it provides really open up the ballpark to the point that there is really no comparison between it and a closed concourse.

The entire purpose of us building the PDS grandstand in the 80s in the first place was for us to have the best stadium in college baseball. While it was just that for a while, it simply isn't anymore, and the only way for it to be would be to totally start over from scratch. So why would that original mission of having the best and nicest baseball stadium change now 25 years later?

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 11:34 PM
No we haven't made money on baseball since the mid 80's you would be bad wrong. Have we ever? Yes. Yearly and now no. Do the math. And if you think ole miss is you are drinking the kool aid. Period. Lsu maybe. Ark maybe but doubt it. The rest hahahahahahhahahahahha.

If you honest to God don't think LSU is making money off of baseball, then you just can't be helped. Why in the hell would they spend $37 mil. on a new stadium if they weren't making money off of it? And the same goes with South Carolina and their $35 mil. stadium.

All the other bigger SEC baseball schools probably are too (State, Arkansas, UM, etc.), but there is absolutely no doubt that LSU and USCe both make a good bit of money off of baseball.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 11:36 PM

1- sight lines I hear that all the time- the bleachers won't be there when we renovate so that's not an issue. As it is now the only time it is an issue is sbw and when the wagon gets on for regionals.
2- I think there will be more premium seating after the renovation. Feel comfortable saying that.
3-we have sold almost 6k season tickets the last 2 years. So obviously people somewhere are buying tickets for something other than the grandstand. We don't need 2k more empty grandstand seats for most games.
4-that's fine. So I ask again, do you want to go by priority? If so there will be more empty seats and this will make the hump re-seating look like a small thing as far as pissing people off. Like I said these people literally help paynforbthe building. But as I said I don't care. Stricklin will piss more people off by doing this than anything he can do- other than completely shutting down the lounge.
5-you can bring in beer at DNF I can't supply the chicks for u!

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm not referring to tailgating. I'm talking about a trailer falling down and people, lots of people being hurt. And if you think most of those rigs have engineers and architects involved then u haven't been out there much. As far as your insurance remark- I don't know but insurance won't be enough to cover someone who does because of negligence. And truly that's what this is- I'm sorry. An I repeat- I stay in the outfield, I don't want it to go away! I'm sure our insurance really lives the Doyle Bryan case. And that was on the bleachers!!!!!

You totally missed my point- you don't do away with something just because something bad "might" happen. No offense, but you sound like my Mom. "Todd- don't get on that rig- it might fall apart and kill you!"

I'll tell you what I do know about this though-

1. In the over 40 years of having rigs, we've NEVER had one fall apart.

2. People have to drive said rigs TO Dudy-Noble Field which means that they have to be able to hold up under speeds of at least 45 MPH.

3. The only thing that has ever collapsed out there was the deck that the school built- as someone already mentioned. And I do have to wonder if that was built shoddily on purpose to try to do away with the LFL which WAS something that LT wanted to do.

4. I don't know what the Bryan situation was, but it obviously happened in the bleachers- which means based on track record that the bleachers are at least as dangerous and possibly moreso than any rig in the LFL. Other than said deck.

5. I know of at least two people that have died at MLB games by falling off of upper decks/higher levels within the past ten years. When that guy at the Rangers game died- and they were negligent in that they didn't have a high enough rail up- did they close off the higher deck? Did that guys family sue the Rangers until they owned Yu Darvish? NO.

And hey, if I get on something rickity or that might be unsafe and it falls apart and I die- no one was forcing me on the thing. There's some fault on my part as well. There's nothing on the ticket that says I have to sit on any rig. The easy solution is just have the rig owners sign forms that say that they are liable and that the rigs aren't owned by MSU. Done.

Homedawg
09-19-2013, 11:40 PM
If you honest to God don't think LSU is making money off of baseball, then you just can't be helped.

All the other bigger SEC baseball schools probably are too (USCe, State, Arkansas, UM, etc.), but there is absolutely no doubt that LSU makes a good bit of money off of baseball.

I said maybe as in-probably. But we don't. And I can assure u ole miss doesn't. Do the math. 6k season tickets. Coaching staffs of over a million bucks. Travel, recruiting, etc. for goodness sake we lost 150k by going to omaha for 12 days! You can argue with me all you want. I don't care. However, you would be wrong.

messageboardsuperhero
09-19-2013, 11:43 PM
1- sight lines I hear that all the time- the bleachers won't be there when we renovate so that's not an issue. As it is now the only time it is an issue is sbw and when the wagon gets on for regionals.

The sight lines are bad whether the bleachers are here or not. That's just the way the grandstand was designed in the 80s. It doesn't allow for any more seats down the line to be angled towards home plate, so all those people sitting in the new extension of the grandstand would essentially be stuck staring at the CF wall.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 11:48 PM
2- I think there will be more premium seating after the renovation. Feel comfortable saying that.
3-we have sold almost 6k season tickets the last 2 years. So obviously people somewhere are buying tickets for something other than the grandstand. We don't need 2k more empty grandstand seats for most games.
4-that's fine. So I ask again, do you want to go by priority? If so there will be more empty seats and this will make the hump re-seating look like a small thing as far as pissing people off. Like I said these people literally help paynforbthe building. But as I said I don't care. Stricklin will piss more people off by doing this than anything he can do- other than completely shutting down the lounge.
5-you can bring in beer at DNF I can't supply the chicks for u!

1- Better sightlines = better experience for fans. Including the ones with lifetime contracts. I guess they never considered that.

4- Why do people assume that the re-seating means that we're going to totally screw over our big doners? Isn't that the whole point in re-seating? If they helped pay for the building, I would assume that they are probably donating pretty well to the Bulldog Club. Now, if you have a lifetime seating contract and you haven't donated to MSU since 1988, well, you might get screwed then.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 11:51 PM
I said maybe as in-probably. But we don't. And I can assure u ole miss doesn't. Do the math. 6k season tickets. Coaching staffs of over a million bucks. Travel, recruiting, etc. for goodness sake we lost 150k by going to omaha for 12 days! You can argue with me all you want. I don't care. However, you would be wrong.

Are you really suggesting that the only revenue for baseball comes from season ticket sales?

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:01 AM
1- Better sightlines = better experience for fans. Including the ones with lifetime contracts. I guess they never considered that.

4- Why do people assume that the re-seating means that we're going to totally screw over our big doners? Isn't that the whole point in re-seating? If they helped pay for the building, I would assume that they are probably donating pretty well to the Bulldog Club. Now, if you have a lifetime seating contract and you haven't donated to MSU since 1988, well, you might get screwed then.

Wtf are you talking about? Who said anything about big donors getting screwed? Big donors would get the seats if done by priority. Lots of small donors however would if you went by priority.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Are you really suggesting that the only revenue for baseball comes from season ticket sales?

Todd, where do you think revenue comes from? Ticket sales??? Just maybe.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:06 AM
The sight lines are bad whether the bleachers are here or not. That's just the way the grandstand was designed in the 80s. It doesn't allow for any more seats down the line to be angled towards home plate, so all those people sitting in the new extension of the grandstand would essentially be stuck staring at the CF wall.

All of what people? No one sits there except 2 times a damn year. Wait and see what is done with it before u bitch about it OR write a check and build us a new stadium.

engie
09-20-2013, 12:08 AM

So, you are saying that Dudy Noble is basically screwing us.

Your logic is lacking on this. You know it -- I know it.

Please tell me what we did with the revenue from 60k tickets we sold for regionals plus concessions? Please tell me again how we didn't and don't make money on baseball -- because it's foolish -- and IF we don't, it shows how moronic our athletics department has been while they sat idly by and let LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina surpass us...

engie
09-20-2013, 12:09 AM
If you honest to God don't think LSU is making money off of baseball, then you just can't be helped. Why in the hell would they spend $37 mil. on a new stadium if they weren't making money off of it? And the same goes with South Carolina and their $35 mil. stadium.

All the other bigger SEC baseball schools probably are too (State, Arkansas, UM, etc.), but there is absolutely no doubt that LSU and USCe both make a good bit of money off of baseball.

Yeppp

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Ok then. I'll direct both of you to our athletic dept and they will inform you that we don't make money on baseball. Evidently y'all went to the Obama school of math. Yes we take in a good bit of money for baseball- relatively speaking. However we spend way more!

engie
09-20-2013, 12:17 AM
All of what people? No one sits there except 2 times a damn year.
Why the 17 do you think that is? Because it's a MISERABLE experience. I sat there a handful of times while in college and promised myself NEVER again. I've never forgotten how miserable that experience was. Literally the worst I've ever been involved with at a baseball game. If I was stuck with that, I'd listen on the radio instead of going to the game. Seriously.

And you think I'm the only one? Or one of countless thousands that feel the same way?

Wait and see what is done with it before u bitch about it OR write a check and build us a new stadium.
Nothing he can do with it short of building a "new" stadium is satisfactory. I don't give a damn if he puts in berms that you STILL can't see crap from -- or playgrounds for the kiddies. The grandstand is the problem -- and nothing he can do down those foul lines can "fix" it.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:19 AM
So, you are saying that Dudy Noble is basically screwing us.

Your logic is lacking on this. You know it -- I know it.

Please tell me what we did with the revenue from 60k tickets we sold for regionals plus concessions? Please tell me again how we didn't and don't make money on baseball -- because it's foolish -- and IF we don't, it shows how moronic our athletics department has been while they sat idly by and let LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina surpass us...

How is it screwing us? We sell more tickets than we have seats! Does that mean i don't want a better dnf? Dman right i do! You are missing the point.... you cant rebut anything else? I sent u responses and this is all I got? ....we sent a check to the NCAA for 400k. We kept 40k! I'll explain how we don't one more time-a lil less than 6k season tix. Plus game tix. Minus game workers. Coaches that cost us over a million dollars, scholarships, travel, recruiting, upgrades that we ate doing each year =loss.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Why the 17 do you think that is? Because it's a MISERABLE experience. I sat there a handful of times while in college and promised myself NEVER again. I've never forgotten how miserable that experience was. Literally the worst I've ever been involved with at a baseball game. If I was stuck with that, I'd listen on the radio instead of going to the game. Seriously.

And you think I'm the only one? Or one of countless thousands that feel the same way?

Nothing he can do with it short of building a "new" stadium is satisfactory. I don't give a damn if he puts in berms that you STILL can't see crap from -- or playgrounds for the kiddies. The grandstand is the problem -- and nothing he can do down those foul lines can "fix" it.

I get it that's your stance. That's fine. But it ain't happening. Period. Unless all your people you know willing to cut 7 figure checks get together and do it for him. And that ain't happening so I'm preparing you. If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

CadaverDawg
09-20-2013, 12:25 AM
How is it screwing us? We sell more tickets than we have seats! Does that mean i don't want a better dnf? Dman right i do! You are missing the point.... you cant rebut anything else? I sent u responses and this is all I got? ....we sent a check to the NCAA for 400k. We kept 40k! I'll explain how we don't one more time-a lil less than 6k season tix. Plus game tix. Minus game workers. Coaches that cost us over a million dollars, scholarships, travel, recruiting, upgrades that we ate doing each year =loss.

I'm not big on the ins and outs of our baseball program making money, so please dismiss me if this sounds foolish.....but if you say our money comes from 6k season tickets, and me and several thousand others think the bleacher seat sight lines are a major turn off, wouldn't better sight lines therefore additional better seats in general, lead to more season ticket sales? Thus more revenue?

I know I would attend way more games if I didn't have to sit with a crick in my neck in the bleachers. But at the same time...I live too far away to come to a ton of games so season tickets don't make sense for me. However, a cheaper season ticket down the foul lines that didn't involve the crick in my neck to watch, would be something that interests me

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2013, 12:30 AM
All of what people? No one sits there except 2 times a damn year. Wait and see what is done with it before u bitch about it OR write a check and build us a new stadium.

There's a reason people only sit there two times a year... It blows.

Homedawg, you are making a strong run at being in Sandman territory in this thread. Thank God that guy left and took his "nerd" bullshit with him.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm not big on the ins and outs of our baseball program making money, so please dismiss me if this sounds foolish.....but if you say our money comes from 6k season tickets, and me and several thousand others think the bleacher seat sight lines are a major turn off, wouldn't better sight lines therefore additional better seats in general, lead to more season ticket sales? Thus more revenue?

I know I would attend way more games if I didn't have to sit with a crick in my neck in the bleachers. But at the same time...I live too far away to come to a ton of games so season tickets don't make sense for me. However, a cheaper season ticket down the foul lines that didn't involve the crick in my neck to watch, would be something that interests me
I think that when we renovate there will be a more family friendly elevated seating area that doesn't include bleachers. Therefore no crick as you put it. How it ends up isn't known but it will be better I feel certain. Ultimately that will bring more people I hope. But truly winning is the only thing that will pack TE place and we have done that before every w bad sight lines. Hell people still go to wrigley field and Cameron indoor stadium and those two places have the crappiest seats and-or sight lines in America. And the cubs suck. At least duke is good in hoops!

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:40 AM
There's a reason people only sit there two times a year... It blows.

Homedawg, you are making a strong run at being in Sandman territory in this thread. Thank God that guy left and took his "nerd" bullshit with him.

Here's what's wrong w you, I present some facts along with some opinions and I'm sandman. Wtf ever. If you don't like debate leave the thread. Because u can't present any facts to dispute one thing I've said. Not one.

engie
09-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Ok then. I'll direct both of you to our athletic dept and they will inform you that we don't make money on baseball. Evidently y'all went to the Obama school of math. Yes we take in a good bit of money for baseball- relatively speaking. However we spend way more!

Again, IF we don't make money on baseball, It's DUDY NOBLE AND OUR DUMBASS ADMINISTRATION'S DAMN FAULT. PERIOD.

There is a waiting list at LSU -- so keep in mind, this is FULLY sold out
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130920-i7pf-29kb.jpg

Tiger Suites - $40k(27 suites)
Champions Club - $2350 each(200 seats)
Tiger Terrace - $3000 each(96 seats)

BEFORE concessions, donations, catering, AND ALCOHOL PURCHASE in the premium levels...

You do the math and tell me what the numbers say, LT -- Because I guarantee they say that it was a GREAT idea to build a brand new $35 million stadium and REPLACE the most storied stadium in college baseball history...

But we're fine throwing a little lipstick on the pig and taking a financial loss every year**

engie
09-20-2013, 12:50 AM

Because 1500 BUY SEASON TICKETS THAT HAVE VESTED INTEREST IN THE OUTFIELD. NO ONE BUYS SEASON TICKETS FOR THE DAMN BLEACHERS. PERIOD. You are too dense at this to understand a damn thing we're actually saying.

We sell 6k season tickets in a 12k seat venue. That AIN'T selling more season tickets than we have seats.

So, we made $440k total -- in an event that cost $10/ticket for GENERAL ADMISSION(cheapest possible avenue) -- in which we sold 60k+ overall tickets... and the rest of us are the ones that need to work on our math? You are making yourself seem foolish on this.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Again, IF we don't make money on baseball, It's DUDY NOBLE AND OUR DUMBASS ADMINISTRATION'S DAMN FAULT. PERIOD.

There is a waiting list at LSU -- so keep in mind, this is FULLY sold out
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130920-p0sm-30kb.jpg

Tiger Suites - $40k(27 suites)
Champions Club - $2350 each(200 seats)
Tiger Terrace - $3000 each(96 seats)

BEFORE concessions, donations, catering, AND ALCOHOL PURCHASE in the premium levels...

You do the damn math and tell me what the numbers say, LT -- Because I GUARANDAMNTEE YOU they say that it was a f'n GREAT idea to build a brand new $35 million stadium...

That's all well and good. However, we are getting 30k for the new FOotball suites. So comparing that to here is truly apples to oranges. Therefore the rest of our seats would be progressively lower. Also, I'd love to know how alcohol sales is legal. You also said we ALREADY made money in baseball. I assume u are conceding that point?...this is good info tho tks.

engie
09-20-2013, 12:52 AM

Bingo.

You and what I'm guessing is 3-4k other MSU fans...

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Engie, how does traditional fund translate as far as yearly and is it part of other givin etc. if you know, I'm curious.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Bingo.

You and what I'm guessing is 3-4k other MSU fans...

When we were winning ever year it wasn't a problem before. I'm not saying its ideal, that's why it's being chunked too!

engie
09-20-2013, 12:58 AM
I think that when we renovate there will be a more family friendly elevated seating area that doesn't include bleachers.

Great -- so we're reducing capacity when we should be increasing. Excellent**

Therefore no crick as you put it.
Do you REALLY think "the bleachers" are the cause of a crick -- or the angle at which they HAVE to sit at in order to fit inside the fence? How do you "fix" that without doing MAJOR changes?

How it ends up isn't known but it will be better I feel certain. Ultimately that will bring more people I hope.
On a wing and a prayer -- sounds like a sound business plan.

But truly winning is the only thing that will pack TE place and we have done that before every w bad sight lines.
And we do it less often now, why? Because we've got a whole generation of people that hate the shit out of those bleachers, that's why. We had a top 10 matchup with LSU last year that no one showed up for. Care to guess why?

Hell people still go to wrigley field and Cameron indoor stadium and those two places have the crappiest seats and-or sight lines in America. And the cubs suck. At least duke is good in hoops!
Yeah, not sure this was the example I would have used...seeing how the Cubs are spending $500 MILLION (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9139426/chicago-cubs-city-chicago-close-wrigley-field-renovation-deal-according-report) renovating Wrigley.

engie
09-20-2013, 01:03 AM
You also said we ALREADY made money in baseball. I assume u are conceding that point?

The only thing I'm "conceding" is that we have made money in the past on baseball -- and if we aren't right now, with the second largest baseball fanbase in the country without QUESTION, we are HUGE DUMB ASSES -- THAT HAVE EARNED OUR STATUS OF SECOND RATE GOING FORWARD...

engie
09-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Engie, how does traditional fund translate as far as yearly and is it part of other givin etc. if you know, I'm curious.

Traditions Fund is the baseball fundraising arm of the Tiger Athletics Foundation which LSU set up to actually pay the majority of their baseball coaching salaries(I believe Bertman set this up as he was on his way out -- and he knew the price for good coaches was about to go up)... That donation amount is a yearly requirement to be eligible for those seats...

Basically, it works exactly like the BulldogClub for football for us...

engie
09-20-2013, 01:09 AM
When we were winning ever year it wasn't a problem before. I'm not saying its ideal, that's why it's being chunked too!

Yet, this past year set our season ticket sales record I believe...

It has ALWAYS been a problem. Just one that people endure to be involved in an electric atmosphere.

Much the same way that there was "no problem" with the original Alex Box stadium. It was historic. Intimidating. Didn't stop what I personally consider to be one of our ONLY peers in this sport from scrapping the whole thing and starting over...

engie
09-20-2013, 01:11 AM
That's all well and good. However, we are getting 30k for the new FOotball suites.
And we sold them out 1.5 years before completion. WAY.TOO.CHEAP.

So comparing that to here is truly apples to oranges.
How so? Because poor ole MSU is refusing to be a big boy in the one sport where it ACTUALLY is a big boy? Nevermind the corporations moving in nearby in West Point and Columbus that we could/should really capitalize on...

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Great -- so we're reducing capacity when we should be increasing. Excellent**

How dense can you possibly be on this? Do you REALLY think "the bleachers" are the cause of a crick -- or the angle at which they HAVE to sit at in order to fit inside the fence? How do you "fix" that without doing MAJOR changes? I'll be waiting...

On a wing and a prayer -- sounds like a sound business plan.

And we do it less often now, why? Because we've got a whole generation of people that hate the shit out of those bleachers, that's why. We had a top 10 matchup with LSU last year that no one showed up for. Care to guess why?

Yeah, not sure this was the example I would have used...seeing how the Cubs are spending $500 MILLION (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9139426/chicago-cubs-city-chicago-close-wrigley-field-renovation-deal-according-report) renovating Wrigley.

I never said we were reducing capicity. I said we were removing the bleachers And truly we don't need to add to capacity. If you've been to a regional, which i know you have, it's packed. Well since I'm so dense, clearly I need to explain because u don't get it. One would think the "crick" is occurring because the bleachers are facing towards centerfield, therefore, the person is turned sideways watching causing it. Wo them one could, would be sitting facing more towards home plate, thus no crick.....all this I would be there but, just win and they will be there, I've seen it....as for wrigley, well maybe they have some 7 figure donars to improve the sight lines.

Homedawg
09-20-2013, 01:28 AM
And we sold them out 1.5 years before completion. WAY.TOO.CHEAP.

How so? Because poor ole MSU is refusing to be a big boy in the one sport where it ACTUALLY is a big boy? Nevermind the corporations moving in nearby in West Point and Columbus that we could/should really capitalize on...

I think somewhere in the argument u lost the fact that I want a nice DNF, I WANT a lfl. And yes there is money left on the table- at this point. And I won't argue we sold skyboxes too cheap. But it's still not equal to lsu and to say it is, is really nuts.

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree with this. Everyone arguing that the grandstand is ok has not sat in the bleachers. There is a reason people only sit in them for big games. Either you get a crick in your neck or you sit completely sideways.

My wife and I live in Jackson and we might buy season tickets but there are no chairbacks available.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2013, 08:45 AM
I think that when we renovate there will be a more family friendly elevated seating area that doesn't include bleachers. Therefore no crick as you put it.

Again, the bad sightlines have nothing to do with the fact that the bleachers are there, it is all about the current angle of the grandstand. Even IF they somehow elevated the seating above the current grandstand, it would look terribly goofy and half-ass. Do you really want to go half way on this or do you want to have the nicest park in America? And before you say "Oh boo hoo, facts are, we just can't afford it," I'm not saying we can afford it RIGHT NOW, but given a couple of years of creative fundraising, the new SEC Network money, and then maybe borrowing the rest, we WILL have enough. Look beyond today and see what we will have in a couple of years if we jump into this thing headfirst. Hell, it's not like this thing won't pay for itself multiple times over anyway.

How it ends up isn't known but it will be better I feel certain. Ultimately that will bring more people I hope.

Wow, do you really want to settle for "a little better" when we could take a little longer, push a little harder, and have the "best?" Your defeatist attitude is truly a breathe of fresh air. Thanks for that Mr. Templeton. UM and A&M spent $20 mil. and $27 mil. respectively renovating outdated structures while USCe spent $35 mil. building a great new stadium that is only paralleled by LSU and maybe Arkansas. I'm sick of people wanting to go halfway on this when it will only cost a fraction more to go all out.

But truly winning is the only thing that will pack TE place and we have done that before every w bad sight lines.

We packed "TE" place before IN SPITE of the bad sightlines, and the only reason we could was because we were the only show in town and that was the only way to see it. Why in the hell would anyone want to go sit in the bleachers now when they could just stay at home and watch on HSTV?

Hell people still go to wrigley field and Cameron indoor stadium and those two places have the crappiest seats and-or sight lines in America. And the cubs suck. At least duke is good in hoops!

I hate to break it to you, but the grandstand at DNF isn't even in the same stratosphere as Wrigley in any way. DNF was built 25 years ago; Wrigley is over 100 years old. DNF has unfixable sightline issues (that have nothing to do with the bleachers); Wrigley's problems at least were/are fixable. Wrigley tops DNF in every possible way (allure, design, etc.). Please do yourself a favor and never compare the two again. You just look stupid when you do.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2013, 08:49 AM
I agree with this. Everyone arguing that the grandstand is ok has not sat in the bleachers. There is a reason people only sit in them for big games. Either you get a crick in your neck or you sit completely sideways.

My wife and I live in Jackson and we might buy season tickets but there are no chairbacks available.

There are more people like you than many realize. The demand is here for an investment in a new stadium, and it's an investment that would see the baseball program and University HUGE dividends down the road. People just need to wake the **** up and drop the defeatist attitudes. We CAN do this. There is a demand for it.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Here's what's wrong w you, I present some facts along with some opinions and I'm sandman. Wtf ever. If you don't like debate leave the thread. Because u can't present any facts to dispute one thing I've said. Not one.

Are you blind? I have given facts is all of my posts in response to you.

messageboardsuperhero
09-20-2013, 09:06 AM
I never said we were reducing capicity. I said we were removing the bleachers And truly we don't need to add to capacity. If you've been to a regional, which i know you have, it's packed. Well since I'm so dense, clearly I need to explain because u don't get it. One would think the "crick" is occurring because the bleachers are facing towards centerfield, therefore, the person is turned sideways watching causing it. Wo them one could, would be sitting facing more towards home plate, thus no crick.....all this I would be there but, just win and they will be there, I've seen it....as for wrigley, well maybe they have some 7 figure donars to improve the sight lines.

This isn't a very coherent sentence, but I'm assuming you're saying that all the people down the lines should totally turn their entire bodies perpendicular to the actual seat just to see the game and that would solve the problem? Honestly, do you want something done right or do you want to half ass it? Because how you are suggesting people sit is the direct product of a half ass design.

Again, people aren't going to show up these days to sit in a shitty, outdated stadium when they could watch it on their computers at home for $100/year. People in 1989 would show up because A) They had no other way to see the game, and B) They had nothing else to do. Quit living in the past and realize that we have to have nice seating and creative marketing to attract a new audience in this day and age. You can't say "Here's a good baseball team, so come watch them" these days if they are playing in a shitty park that doesn't even allow the fan to see the game without turning their body perpendicular to the seat (as you suggested) or having to visit the chiropractor in the morning.

engie
09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
I never said we were reducing capicity. I said we were removing the bleachers And truly we don't need to add to capacity

Make this reasoning make sense to me. Because it doesn't. Those bleachers hold 1500 people each.

The fact that you think our 6000 season tickets are the most we could ever sell -- while OM sells 7k+ -- tells me all I need to know about your thoughts on this...

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Ive been to more baseball stadiums (college included) than probably this whole message board combined. I also have had 5 chairbacks since they were built and have a lifetime contract.

DNF needs to be bulldozed and we need to start from scratch on the grandstand. Im not sure how else to say it. Id give up my seats in a heartbeat. Id just re-buy them. It is the same type of folks that bitch about social security and then dont want to take cuts because of what they were promised or paid in. Meanwhile, they are also for less govt spending. How about we do what is best for the university?

slickdawg
09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Has DNF become the Astrodome? Once upon a time, 8th wonder of the world - today an outdated eyesore that makeup won't fix ?

Coach34
09-20-2013, 12:19 PM
anybody that argues that the grandstand doesnt need to be changed is clueless, stupid, or never been there. The bleachers cost us 6 figures in revenue every season.

We need to rebuild the grandstand and add chairbacks down each line.
We need to up the ante for LFL spots a little- those wont go to waste. Go to pay to play these days
You can add a family friendly-area over in the LF corner area somewhere.
Add a bleacher area/student section in RF- even if it takes moving the road back there or whatever.

We can have one of the nicest stadiums in college baseball. We have got to stop with the LT way of thinking

berr6728
09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
If not incorrect SCarolina does not have field level seats. They and Ark. both have same type of stadium, as well as LSWho with no field level seats except on foul line where we have to sit at LSU.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr6728@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

berr6728
09-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I live 30 miles from Baton Rouge. LSWho sells many season tickets partly because a number of them are purchased by large cooperations in Baton Rouge and New Orleans and other large Cites. These tickets are given away each week to fans or employees of the cooperation. Even sold out they still have large # of empty seats. I have a couple of friends who do not buy season tickets but never miss a game because they work for a cooperation that has them and they sit directly behind home plate in the gold section. We at MSU do not have that pleasure of large companies buying season tickets and giving them away. Some of their Cooperations are Coco Cola-McDonalds-Budweiser-and cosinos and other smaller cos.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr6728@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499