PDA

View Full Version : OT - Tico's or Shapleys

phatdog
08-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Can I wear shorts in either?

It_Could_Happen
08-24-2017, 08:11 PM
1. I like Tico's the best. One of the top 3 steaks I've had anywhere.

2. I think you could probably get away with wearing shorts and a collared shirt with loafers, but I would wear pants. You will probably be the only one in there wearing shorts.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-24-2017, 08:12 PM
You can definitely wear shorts in Tico's. I haven't been to Shapley's in several years.

Irondawg
08-24-2017, 08:14 PM
I'd vote Shapley's out of those two but it's been a couple of years since I've been to either

Harrydawg
08-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Now this a great question......both are excellent fillets, strips or ribeyes.

That dark Shapley's steak sauce is special.

Either way - it all starts with a great piece of meat - placed in a damn hot oven!

Enjoy.

Bullsy
08-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Eat there 2 or 3 times per month. Shorts are no problem

BeardoMSU
08-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Nothin' sets off the flavors of a steak like some ketchup.....also, make sure you get your steak cooked well done. If it's good enough for the Prez, we should all do it.**

biggun
08-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Shapley's and it is not even close. Tico's used to be good, actually very good, but not anymore.

Shapley's bone in Ribeye & Strip are both excellent, as are all of their steaks but those 2 are my favorites.

sandwolf
08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
I prefer Tico's, primarily due to the atmosphere. Both have great food, but Tico's is much more laid back and they make a hell of a stiff drink (Shapleys may make a good drink too, but Ticos definitely does). I definitely wouldn't wear shorts to Shapleys....I probably wouldn't to Tico's either, but if you're gonna wear them, you're much less likely to feel out of place at Tico's.

BeastMan
08-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Both are good. Tico's is more good ole boy scotch and cigar atmosphere while shapley's is more business meeting upscale. Ruth Chris has been killer consistent my last 2 trips. Any of the 3 you'll have a great steak and a good time.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Isn't Tico's an OM establishment?

I know Shapley's is true maroon.

Not that it matters. Or does it?

eta....I'm sure Kobe Jones would tell you to go to Shapley's.

Negative Waves
08-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Shapley's by a million miles. Quality of the food is better. I've had one decent steak at Tico's, but every steak I've had at Shapleys has been excellent. Tico's doesn't salt the steak near enough for me. Another steak place is Ely's run by the owners of Shapleys. It's a more laid back atmosphere, but the food is just as good. I've seen shorts at both, but Tico's is more casual.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Nothin' sets off the flavors of a steak like some ketchup.....also, make sure you get your steak cooked well done. If it's good enough for the Prez, we should all do it.**

Not defending Trump on eating steak well done, but his predecessor did admit to eating (and enjoying) dog. So I reluctantly go with Trump on this one?!?!

ETA... Based on the last times at either place, I would go with Shapley's.

BeardoMSU
08-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Not defending Trump on eating steak well done, but his predecessor did admit to eating (and enjoying) dog. So I reluctantly go with Trump on this one?!?!

ETA... Based on the last times at either place, I would go with Shapley's.

Lol, valid point. Obama also drank Bud Light, so he's got plenty to answer for, too.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Lol, valid point. Obama also drank Bud Light, so he's got plenty to answer for, too.

Absolutely! No more Beer Summits. Only Craft Beer Summits!

Bothrops
08-24-2017, 11:51 PM
Doe's Eat Place, East County Line.

Commercecomet24
08-24-2017, 11:52 PM

Excellent choice!

BeardoMSU
08-24-2017, 11:55 PM

My lady had a client who shipped us a bucket of Doe's tamales not long ago....I grew up in Greenville, but it's been probably 20 something years since I had them. It was nice having a taste of MS up in Massholedom....even for just a moment, lol.

raymond21
08-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Shapleys, Walkers, Doe's and then Ticos in the that order for a steak in Jackson

huffy
08-25-2017, 06:49 AM

two sarcastrics are not enough for this blasphemous statement...

Drugdog
08-25-2017, 06:51 AM
My lady had a client who shipped us a bucket of Doe's tamales not long ago....I grew up in Greenville, but it's been probably 20 something years since I had them. It was nice having a taste of MS up in Massholedom....even for just a moment, lol.

I'm from Greenville as well. Used to be a great town in the 70s and 80s.

Bullsy
08-25-2017, 07:02 AM
Best steaks:
Ruth Chris
Shapley's
Tico's
Ely's
Manship
Walker's (lot higher on other people's list)
Lou's Full Serv
Doe's in Ridgeland (didnt love it)

Then....
Kathryn's
Char
Crechale's

Joe Schmedlap
08-25-2017, 07:09 AM
I'm from Greenville as well. Used to be a great town in the 70s and 80s.

Started a slow decline after the Air Force Base closed in the 50's. It was still a good town up until the early 1980's, but the decline was noticeable by the late 70's. It is a sad shell of a town now.

1bigdawg
08-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Shapley's have much better steaks. Tico's is an Ole Miss good ole boy kind of place, and the food is not as good. Mark Shapley sold Shapley's decades ago to an UNM graduate, so neither is a Bulldog place.

Thick
08-25-2017, 07:43 AM

Shapley's is OM owned, Scott Koestler. He's a good dude, good friend, and he's an old delta boy...Greenville.

Drugdog
08-25-2017, 07:53 AM

Shapley's is OM owned, Scott Koestler. He's a good dude, good friend, and he's an old delta boy...Greenville.

Lots of good people from Greenville. Can't leave out Clarksdale either.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Yep, my bad. Was looking at Shapley's and had Ely's on my mind. Ely's was named after Ely Shapley.

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-25-2017, 08:08 AM

Neither will take your money if you wear shorts, heathen.

raymond21
08-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Take it to another level, Gibbs Grocery in Learned. Shorts are the norm and steaks are outstanding. Bring your own wine

louisvilledawg
08-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Best steaks:
Ruth Chris
Shapley's
Tico's
Ely's
Manship
Walker's (lot higher on other people's list)
Lou's Full Serv
Doe's in Ridgeland (didnt love it)

Then....
Kathryn's
Char
Crechale's

I've eaten at Tico's the last two years on either mine or my wife's bday. I really like the food, but always been underwhelmed with the service. I like Shapley's, but feel like i'm eating in the dark haha.

I really wanna give Doe's on county line a shot, but want to try out the Greenville one first.

Brahmabull
08-25-2017, 08:27 AM
I'm also from Greenville. Here is the deal, Doe's in Ridgeland is not owned by the Greenville family. Actually, they don't even use the same recipes in Ridgeland. Also, Tico is a LSU grad (played golf there). As many dogs go to Tico's as rebs. I've worn shorts to all of them. Every time I have been to Ruth's, I have left a little underwhelmed. I would probably rank for steak

Shapley's/Ely's
Tico's
Ruth

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Take it to another level, Gibbs Grocery in Learned. Shorts are the norm and steaks are outstanding. Bring your own wine

Been there several times. Good place.

Johnson85
08-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Been a while since I've done Shapleys, but the only two times I've eaten there have been worse than Tico's. Still solid, but TICO's was better. I rank them TICO's then I'd be indifferent between Lusco's and Doe's, then Shapley's probably, then Ruth's Chris, then Morton's although I pretty much only go to Ruth's Chris or Morton's if somebody else picks the place just because I have a hang up spending that much money at what has essentially become a chain.

I guess I need to give Shapley's another shot seeing all the opinions on here.

Drugdog
08-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Really don't understand why Outback, and Western Sizzlin are not being discussed.

The jello from Western Sizz is very underrated. And Yes you can wear shorts and a wife beater too.

Bothrops
08-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Really don't understand why Outback, and Western Sizzlin are not being discussed.

The jello from Western Sizz is very underrated. And Yes you can wear shorts and a wife beater too.

I grew up eating at Western Sizz on I55 North in the 80's. Those pan seared flanks were pretty good for being so damn dry.

SNAFU
08-25-2017, 10:05 AM
I really like the ribeye at waffle house. You can wear shorts there.

Bully75
08-25-2017, 10:12 AM

This was true! Always supported Mark!

Bullsy
08-25-2017, 11:11 AM
How did Quincy's ever go out of business? YEAST ROLLS were AMAZING

BeastMan
08-25-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm not going to call out posters or businesses but some of y'all are plugging (or downing) choice grade steaks in what should be a prime discussion. Some of y'all need your steak rec credentials revoked.

sleepy dawg
08-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Tico's is the best Filet I've had anywhere, ever.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Here is the deal, Doe's in Ridgeland is not owned by the Greenville family. Actually, they don't even use the same recipes in Ridgeland.

What about the Doe's at the Margaritaville in Biloxi?

BeastMan
08-25-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm not calling out Brahma here but I have a real hard time believing Doe's in Ridgeland doesn't follow Doe's recipes/standards. I'm in the food bizz and that's kinda not how it works. I'd be shocked if that's true. Perhaps are few different items/specials but franchising agreements require strict following of standards.