PDA

View Full Version : Dan saying Dear may play this year

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Dan said today Malik Dear could possibly play by week 3 but should be ready to go for sure by week 7. That would be big if possible!

Ifyouonlyknew
08-23-2017, 09:36 PM
If he's not fully ready until week 7 I expect him to RS

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:38 PM
If he's not fully ready until week 7 I expect him to RS

I agree if he can't play about half the season no reason to waste him.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:39 PM
I'm just really surprised there's even a chance.

Reason2succeed
08-23-2017, 09:45 PM
If he's not at least 90% I think he should wait. We will need someone next year anyway since Gray and Gabe are seniors. I know he will have eligibility either way though. We really just need a bigger body to step up more than another small guy.

Todd4State
08-23-2017, 10:08 PM
I'd prefer we wait and just let him get healthy and 100%. He can help us out in 2018 and 2019.

Skydawg1
08-23-2017, 10:43 PM
I interpreted it as Dear will more than likely redshirt.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 10:52 PM
I'd prefer we wait and just let him get healthy and 100%. He can help us out in 2018 and 2019.

Agree....no need to waste a year. We have some depth at running back.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Agree....no need to waste a year. We have some depth at running back.

Agree redshirt is probably best but Dear is receiver.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Agree redshirt is probably best but Dear is receiver.

Probably should have added more sarcasterisks. But Dear is as much a receiver as Brandon Holloway was a 15-carry per game running back. Where each of them are / were listed on the depth chart is totally irrelevant to that fact. I hope Mullen wises up to that fact before he wastes the career of a really talented player.

ETA: Dear's career numbers so far: 28 carries for 234 yards (8.3 ypc - best on the team over last 2 years), 2 TD. 45 catches for 481 yards (10.7 ypc, very mediocre), 4 TD. He has been way, way more productive at RB, yet has only half as many touches there. Of course, none of that is unexpected for a dude that is 5-9, 225.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Probably should have added more sarcasterisks. But Dear is as much a receiver as Brandon Holloway was a 15-carry per game running back. Where each of them are / were listed on the depth chart is totally irrelevant to that fact. I hope Mullen wises up to that fact before he wastes the career of a really talented player.

I gotcha lol

gravedigger
08-23-2017, 11:56 PM

ETA: Dear's career numbers so far: 28 carries for 234 yards (8.3 ypc - best on the team over last 2 years), 2 TD. 45 catches for 481 yards (10.7 ypc, very mediocre), 4 TD. He has been way, way more productive at RB, yet has only half as many touches there. Of course, none of that is unexpected for a dude that is 5-9, 225.

To equate Dear and Holloway is asinine

HSVDawg
08-24-2017, 12:11 AM
To equate Dear and Holloway is asinine

Their relative misuse can be equated. Not equating their talent, obviously Dear is better. But the numbers (in addition to his physical makeup) clearly show what his best position is. The data doesn't lie.

gravedigger
08-24-2017, 12:35 AM
Their relative misuse can be equated. Not equating their talent, obviously Dear is better. But the numbers (in addition to his physical makeup) clearly show what his best position is. The data doesn't lie.

Not if you know that Dear has been used exactly as he and the coaches knew he was capable.

Holloway's use was poor due to physics. Dear has been used properly. Injuries happen.

BulldogBear
08-24-2017, 05:56 AM
I was under the impression that Dear did not wish to line up at RB and likes to play the game from right where he is. So, if anything he is underused not misused (as in Holloway). Dear is right where he needs to be. Dan just needs to get the ball in his hands a little more.

Commercecomet24
08-24-2017, 08:09 AM
I was under the impression that Dear did not wish to line up at RB and likes to play the game from right where he is. So, if anything he is underused not misused (as in Holloway). Dear is right where he needs to be. Dan just needs to get the ball in his hands a little more.

This is correct. IYOK has said on numerous occasions Dear wants to play receiver and that's where the team needs him.

HSVDawg
08-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Not if you know that Dear has been used exactly as he and the coaches knew he was capable.

Holloway's use was poor due to physics. Dear has been used properly. Injuries happen.

He's capable of catching passes in space. He is also more than capable of running the ball both inside and outside the tackles. He has not proven capable of being quick enough to get open against man coverage against anyone outside of a linebacker. He has not proven he can use his body to shield defenders to catch passes in tight windows. He has not proven he can high point balls over defenders.

What all of that above means is that as a WR, he can only be used situationally, whereas as a RB he can be used effectively in pretty much any personnel package (including ones that require him to catch passes out of the backfield or split out into the slot). He also has potential NFL ability as a RB, with absolutely no future there as a WR. I would think it would be in his and our best interest to pursue more touches at that position than at WR. Basically all I'm saying is I think his RB to WR touches should be 2 to 1 whereas they are currently 1 to 2. But he definitely needs more touches in general as well, whenever he gets healthy.

That's all my opinion and not Dear's or the coaches obviously. You can disagree and that's fine, its what messageboards are for. Regarding your "injuries happen" comment, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-24-2017, 09:15 AM
He's capable of catching passes in space. He is also more than capable of running the ball both inside and outside the tackles. He has not proven capable of being quick enough to get open against man coverage against anyone outside of a linebacker. He has not proven he can use his body to shield defenders to catch passes in tight windows. He has not proven he can high point balls over defenders.

What all of that above means is that as a WR, he can only be used situationally, whereas as a RB he can be used effectively in pretty much any personnel package (including ones that require him to catch passes out of the backfield or split out into the slot). He also has potential NFL ability as a RB, with absolutely no future there as a WR. I would think it would be in his and our best interest to pursue more touches at that position than at WR. Basically all I'm saying is I think his RB to WR touches should be 2 to 1 whereas they are currently 1 to 2. But he definitely needs more touches in general as well, whenever he gets healthy.

That's all my opinion and not Dear's or the coaches obviously. You can disagree and that's fine, its what messageboards are for. Regarding your "injuries happen" comment, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

He wouldn't be an effective between the tackles runner. He doesn't like that type of physicality & would be hurt more than he'd play. Not a knock on him just the truth & a major reason why he's never played RB full time in HS or MSU. He's always been a wildcat or jet sweep guy never line up run off tackle.

HSVDawg
08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
He wouldn't be an effective between the tackles runner. He doesn't like that type of physicality & would be hurt more than he'd play. Not a knock on him just the truth & a major reason why he's never played RB full time in HS or MSU. He's always been a wildcat or jet sweep guy never line up run off tackle.

Except he has run between the tackles (albeit sparingly) and has been effective at it while at MSU. Not saying he needs to be Leonard Fournette or even Brandon Holloway in terms of how many times per game we send him up the middle. In fact, he could probably never get more than 6 or 7 carries a game in any capacity based on our other RB personnel and Fitz. But I think if you split those evenly between inside / outside and try to get him another 3 touches per game in the passing game, that is very good usage for him. It also gets him some exposure for NFL scouts and proves he could be a viable RB at the next level. His mentality on getting more physical might change a little if you put a 6 or 7 figure paycheck in front of him.

Reason2succeed
08-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Mullen doesn't like situational RBs because it takes away the RPO in that the defense is tipped off to what is more likely to happen. Mullen wants well rounded RBs that keeps defenses fully guessing like Perk, Vick, and JRob. That's probably why he kept forcing Holloway up the middle even though it was ineffective:

HSVDawg
08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Mullen doesn't like situational RBs because it takes away the RPO in that the defense is tipped off to what is more likely to happen. Mullen wants well rounded RBs that keeps defenses fully guessing like Perk, Vick, and JRob. That's probably why he kept forcing Holloway up the middle even though it was ineffective:

Dear isn't a situational RB. He is a situational WR. That was my whole point. There is not a single play in the playbook he cannot execute effectively from the RB position based on his actual talent level and ability. What he actually "wants" to do is another story, and it's up to the coaches to decide if what he wants is also what's best for the team. Their decision may be correct and it may not be.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-24-2017, 10:59 AM
If you move Dear to RB now, who do you take carries away from? And why would you want to now that we have what looks like 3 capable back there. Last year this might have been a discussion, albeit a wasted one since he doesn't want to be back there, but not this year.

Reason2succeed
08-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Dear isn't a situational RB. He is a situational WR. That was my whole point. There is not a single play in the playbook he cannot execute effectively from the RB position based on his actual talent level and ability. What he actually "wants" to do is another story, and it's up to the coaches to decide if what he wants is also what's best for the team. Their decision may be correct and it may not be.

I agree. My statement was an explanation of what Mullen likely thinks not me. I still give Mullen the benefit of the doubt on coaching decisions though. It's easy to Monday morning QB from 20,000 ft but it's a lot different when you are actually with the players every day. Mullen probably wants to keep the best 11 guys on the field and felt Dear at WR is better than the next WR.

Commercecomet24
08-24-2017, 11:17 AM
I agree. My statement was an explanation of what Mullen likely thinks not me. I still give Mullen the benefit of the doubt on coaching decisions though. It's easy to Monday morning QB from 20,000 ft but it's a lot different when you are actually with the players every day. Mullen probably wants to keep the best 11 guys on the field and felt Dear at WR is better than the next WR.

Yep, not saying Dan's infallible but I remember watching an interview he did a couple of years ago and he talked about all the emails and friendly advice he got about trying this play or trying this player at another position. He said trust me if you thought about it I've thought about it and tried it and it didn't work lol

HSVDawg
08-24-2017, 12:57 PM
If you move Dear to RB now, who do you take carries away from? And why would you want to now that we have what looks like 3 capable back there. Last year this might have been a discussion, albeit a wasted one since he doesn't want to be back there, but not this year.

Well, for one thing I would expect Fitz's carries to go way way down this year. Any injury to him puts Key out there running the Tyler Russell offense as long as he is out, because losing both to injury would be catastrophic. So some more carries will be available if that happens. As far as us having 3 capable backs, I would argue we only have one that is proven, maybe two if you include Dear. Gibson, Murphy, and Lee have shown nothing to indicate any can assume all the assignments and execute at a high level against SEC competition. They haven't played enough to show anything. Hill has never played a collegiate snap. And even if all 4 of those guys are All Americans, I don't think any of them have the all around skill set as Dear as far as running and catching out of the backfield / slot. Give Fitz carries to Dear, keep Aeris workload about the same, spell both with the other 4 as needed. Maybe mix in two back sets to give everyone more opportunities. Just an idea of what could be done if Dear was healthy....which may or may not be this year.

mstatefan91
08-24-2017, 01:01 PM
With Aeris, Kylin, Lee, and Gibson, there is no reason to move Dear to running back. Include him in some 2 back packages if you want, but he should not be a pure running back. Slot and motion.

Dawgface
08-24-2017, 01:05 PM
I understand the thinking on reducing Fitz carries, but I believe we will struggle if we do so. However, if the OL is better than expected then maybe not. Going to interesting to see how it all pans out.

Shake 'n Bake
08-24-2017, 01:15 PM
I hope we're not planning on reducing fitz carries by more than a small amount. This offense would be very average at best without our best weapon doing what he does best.

HSVDawg
08-24-2017, 01:30 PM
I hope we're not planning on reducing fitz carries by more than a small amount. This offense would be very average at best without our best weapon doing what he does best.

I would think maybe backing him down to 130-140 range (from 195 last year) might be a good compromise. He'd still get around 12 carries per game in that scenario. Besides, defenses are going to be somewhat adjusted for him this year. His passing improvement is going to be the key to keeping them honest and keeping our offense on the continued trajectory that we saw in the 2nd half of last season.

War Machine Dawg
08-24-2017, 08:15 PM
With how well Dan "managed" Clayborn's eligibility, I fully expect us to **** up Dear's if possible. He'll be ready Week 10 and Dan will tell him "Go get 'em, kid!"

Todd4State
08-24-2017, 08:25 PM
We should use Dear like Florida used Percy Harvin.

Commercecomet24
08-24-2017, 08:32 PM

I very much like that idea. Move him
All over the place.

War Machine Dawg
08-24-2017, 08:42 PM

Yep. Make him the "super-athlete" who does a little bit of everything the way we should have used Perkins a few years ago.