PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:05 PM
If there's any doubt that snitker has to go, it's on full display in the 8th tonight... snitker continues to use Jim Johnson is high leverage spots. Johnson is done and snit should be

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:25 PM
JJ last 4 appearances...
2.1 ip 11 h 12 er 1 bb 2 k

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:26 PM
JJ last 4 appearances...
2.1 ip 11 h 12 er 1 bb 2 k

That's brutal! I could give em that stat line for a lot less money!

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:28 PM
That's brutal! I could give em that stat line for a lot less money!

It's awful. Why we continue to run him out there in winnable games is a mystery

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Sorry, it's 12 h 11 er

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:33 PM
It's awful. Why we continue to run him out there in winnable games is a mystery

Yeah he hasn't been good in awhile now.

Who's you're favorite Brave all time, 7?

shoeless joe
08-23-2017, 09:34 PM
What you're complaining about in snit is what many a player claim was bobby's greatest quality. Bobby just had better players.

I agree that Johnson is done...it's a shame too as I like what he brings when successful.

I just don't know what you think another manager would be able to do differently with this team than what snit has done.

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Yeah he hasn't been good in awhile now.

Who's you're favorite Brave all time, 7?

Andruw

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Andruw

I got a 3 way tie between Hank, Murph and Chipper.

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:39 PM
What you're complaining about in snit is what many a player claim was bobby's greatest quality. Bobby just had better players.

I agree that Johnson is done...it's a shame too as I like what he brings when successful.

I just don't know what you think another manager would be able to do differently with this team than what snit has done.

It's a lost year and we have promising guys like winkler and minter in the pen... use them instead of motte and JJ. I realize snit used them tonight, but what's the point of continuing to run motte and JJ out there? Motte won't be back and JJ shouldn't be. We optioned max fried down and I think some of the reason is snit wouldn't use him. JJ isn't worth continuing to try and fix is essentially why I'm mad.

starkvegasdawg
08-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Andruw
Mine has to be Smoltz. Andruw never met a pitch shoelace high and a foot outside he didn't like.

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:40 PM

That's some good ones

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Mine has to be Smoltz. Andruw never met a pitch shoelace high and a foot outside he didn't like.

He drove me more than a little crazy with his strike outs, but his glove was so awesome to watch

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:42 PM
He drove me more than a little crazy with his strike outs, but his glove was so awesome to watch

Yeah he was hard to watch at the plate but dang he was a pleasure to watch in cf.

shoeless joe
08-23-2017, 09:48 PM
I was a huge Ron gant guy...and TP. loved watching glavine pitch. Can't fail to mention chipper and the crime dawg

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Minter impressive debut

msstate7
08-23-2017, 09:50 PM
I was a huge Ron gant guy...and TP. loved watching glavine pitch. Can't fail to mention chipper and the crime dawg

I loved gant too. I'll never get over hrbek pushing Ron off 1b in WS

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Murph, & Smoltz. Everyone should have a random player who wasn't a star who was a favorite for no real reason - that guy for me was "The Sarge" Gary Matthews. I can still do his batting stance.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Murph, & Smoltz. Everyone should have a random player who wasn't a star who was a favorite for no real reason - that guy for me was "The Sarge" Gary Matthews. I can still do his batting stance.

My favorite who wasn't a star was lemmer. Loved that guy!

BoomBoom
08-24-2017, 09:31 AM
If there's any doubt that snitker has to go, it's on full display in the 8th tonight... snitker continues to use Jim Johnson is high leverage spots. Johnson is done and snit should be

Meh. If he'd used Minter or winkler then he'd get complaints that he threw them into the fire rather then find low stress innings for them to ease into.

msstate7
08-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Meh. If he'd used Minter or winkler then he'd get complaints that he threw them into the fire rather then find low stress innings for them to ease into.

Anyone but JJ with a lead. JJ is the white flag. It would've been Ramirez or Freeman's 3rd day in a row with a day off today. It's not the losing that ticks me off as much as it's the losing with a guy that essentially has no place going forward. If we use wisler, freeman, Ramirez, minter, or winkler and we lose, I don't care. JJ has been a decent pitcher for us, but his run is over.

ETA... if you can throw winkler in with the bases loaded in the 8th, certainly you can use him in a clean frame

parabrave
08-24-2017, 09:43 AM
My favorite who wasn't a star was lemmer. Loved that guy!

How about Raf Beliard. But who can;t love Julio Franco?

smootness
08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
1a. Justice
1b. Andruw
3. Maddux
4. Heyward
5. Acuna

msstate7
08-24-2017, 09:52 AM
1a. Justice
1b. Andruw
3. Maddux
4. Heyward
5. Acuna

Acuna, huh? No pressure, kid haha

msstate7
08-24-2017, 09:55 AM
A weird player that I really liked as a kid was Zane smith. He was never particularly good, but he was my favorite brave when I first started watching

smootness
08-24-2017, 09:57 AM

I knew you'd catch that haha.

Hey, if Heyward is on the list primarily for being a beast of a prospect, might as well go ahead and assume Acuna will take the same place. The rest is up to him.

BoomBoom
08-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Anyone but JJ with a lead. JJ is the white flag. It would've been Ramirez or Freeman's 3rd day in a row with a day off today. It's not the losing that ticks me off as much as it's the losing with a guy that essentially has no place going forward. If we use wisler, freeman, Ramirez, minter, or winkler and we lose, I don't care. JJ has been a decent pitcher for us, but his run is over.

ETA... if you can throw winkler in with the bases loaded in the 8th, certainly you can use him in a clean frame

Yeah but at that point he had no choice.

JJ has had 2 or 3 straight bad outings, but so long as the trainers say nothing is wrong, you assume its just bad luck. Past that point now though.

msstate7
08-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Yeah but at that point he had no choice.

JJ has had 2 or 3 straight bad outings, but so long as the trainers say nothing is wrong, you assume its just bad luck. Past that point now though.
I think JJ has an "oblique injury" in his immediate future #bravesway

Hasu Dackds
08-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Minter throwing straight gas from the left side.

msstate7
08-24-2017, 10:21 AM
Minter throwing straight gas from the left side.

If minter can stay healthy, he'll be a weapon. Next season could be a decent pen: viz, Ramirez, freeman, winkler, lindgren, minter, JJ (garbage innings), and wisler (long relief). Akeel Morris could be in this group too

Commercecomet24
08-24-2017, 10:25 AM
How about Raf Beliard. But who can;t love Julio Franco?

Julio! The old man who just kept on keeping on! I read that he's still playing in the Mexican league.

Dude was mid 40s and swinging like a 40 ounce bat!

BrunswickDawg
08-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Julio! The old man who just kept on keeping on! I read that he's still playing in the Mexican league.

Dude was mid 40s and swinging like a 40 ounce bat!

In '89, the Braves brought Darrell Evans back for a final season. He and my Dad share the same birthday - they were 42 at the time. Everytime Evans hit one of his 11 HR that year, Dad would say "look at that, a guy my age can still swing it!". I got a new appreciation for that when Chipper and I hit 40, and I was like "see, see the Ol' Hoss can still do it!"

Commercecomet24
08-24-2017, 11:15 AM
In '89, the Braves brought Darrell Evans back for a final season. He and my Dad share the same birthday - they were 42 at the time. Everytime Evans hit one of his 11 HR that year, Dad would say "look at that, a guy my age can still swing it!". I got a new appreciation for that when Chipper and I hit 40, and I was like "see, see the Ol' Hoss can still do it!"

I honestly believe Chipper could go out there today and hit. He could've played a few more years but with his knees and feet problems he would've been limited to a 100 or so games a year like the last few. I remember his last year he turned around a fastball from Paps and walked it off against the Phils. You can still hit 95+ at 40 that's saying something! Man I miss watching that guy hit!

shoeless joe
08-24-2017, 04:40 PM
I honestly believe Chipper could go out there today and hit. He could've played a few more years but with his knees and feet problems he would've been limited to a 100 or so games a year like the last few. I remember his last year he turned around a fastball from Paps and walked it off against the Phils. You can still hit 95+ at 40 that's saying something! Man I miss watching that guy hit!

One of the smartest hitters to ever play.

BoomBoom
08-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Speaking of Acuna, I've been trying to determine the roster situation regarding calling him up in September. Braves have a full 40 man, plus 2 on 60 day DL. They have 3 guys they absolutely will protect in the Rule 5 draft (Gohera, DPeterson, and Demerritte). Only 3 FAs leaving the team (Phillips, Suzuki, and Motte). That means they have to cut 2 players on the active team just to get by. To call up Acuna they'd have to cut another. I dont see that happening.

msstate7
08-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Speaking of Acuna, I've been trying to determine the roster situation regarding calling him up in September. Braves have a full 40 man, plus 2 on 60 day DL. They have 3 guys they absolutely will protect in the Rule 5 draft (Gohera, DPeterson, and Demerritte). Only 3 FAs leaving the team (Phillips, Suzuki, and Motte). That means they have to cut 2 players on the active team just to get by. To call up Acuna they'd have to cut another. I dont see that happening.

Brothers and Micah Johnson have to be 2 to go first. I think they go ahead and cut motte to make it happen... I think we see acuna this year. Are biddle and Burgos worth holding on to?

Adonis will be gone

Tbonewannabe
08-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Brothers and Micah Johnson have to be 2 to go first. I think they go ahead and cut motte to make it happen... I think we see acuna this year. Are biddle and Burgos worth holding on to?

Adonis will be gone

I didn't realize that Peterson is hitting a whopping .197. Can they cut him to make room for Acuna? This is what makes Coach34 look like an ass for the repeated Renfroe won't last an entire year tirade. Renfroe hitting 20 homeruns and .237 probably makes most of the rosters in MLB. Hunter is also hitting .600 currently in AAA.

BoomBoom
08-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Adonis will be gone

yeah, it would be them and Jace i think. all 3 are close to arbitration, so the team wouldn't be losing too much cheap bench help. maybe 1 of Lane Adams or Danny Santana.

Braves also have a 4th prospect that would be eligible for Rule 5 draft, but he's struggled in A ball this year so i think he'd be safe. i also assumed they pick up the options on Dickey and Flowers.

the other side of this is they want to call up Gohera and DPeterson, but that would mean cutting 2 guys now, not later. calling up Acuna would be a 3rd. maybe they can make a couple waiver trades and at least get something for those guys. i could see Motte bringing something cheap back. if Jim Johnson can have a couple good outings then they might could dump him too.

Commercecomet24
08-25-2017, 06:58 PM
One of the smartest hitters to ever play.

No doubt about that! Loved watching him and talk about hitting. Almost Ted Williamsesque in his knowledge of hitting.