PDA

View Full Version : OT. Houston Texas

Treemydawg
08-23-2017, 08:54 PM
I'm leaving Starkville Friday morning headed to Houston to pick up a vehicle. What are some of the best restaurants to try out for dinner that night and maybe for breakfast Saturday morning?

Ezsoil
08-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Well depending on what part of Houston you are in and how much you want to spend there are limitless options it's restaurant week so there are some great specials at the high end restaurants ....

IMissJack
08-23-2017, 09:14 PM
I'm leaving Starkville Friday morning headed to Houston to pick up a vehicle. What are some of the best restaurants to try out for dinner that night and maybe for breakfast Saturday morning?

You know a hurricane is on the way this weekend right? Other than that, if in West Houston you could try Taste of Texas Steakhouse. Depends on what you want to spend.

missouridawg
08-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Go to kolache factory and get a boudin kolache for breakfast Saturday.

For dinner.... tons of options.

Fancy, sit down type places (nice jeans, collared shirt) - Poscol (get meat/cheese plate - my favorite dish in all of Houston). Perrys Steakhouse (get the porkchop - best porkchop you will ever eat). B&B Butchers for a great steak.

Fast/casual - Pappasitos for Mexican (El Tiempo has great Mexican too). Lankfords for tremendous burgers (big, messy, and unique toppings). Maggianos is a good chain Italian restaurant.

Hope this helps

Cooterpoot
08-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Hugh said he's got some numbers for you. You'll be blown away.

Treemydawg
08-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. Greatly appreciated.

IMissJack
08-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Go to kolache factory and get a boudin kolache for breakfast Saturday.

For dinner.... tons of options.

Fancy, sit down type places (nice jeans, collared shirt) - Poscol (get meat/cheese plate - my favorite dish in all of Houston). Perrys Steakhouse (get the porkchop - best porkchop you will ever eat). B&B Butchers for a great steak.

Fast/casual - Pappasitos for Mexican (El Tiempo has great Mexican too). Lankfords for tremendous burgers (big, messy, and unique toppings). Maggianos is a good chain Italian restaurant.

Hope this helps

I can vouch for the Perry's porkchop. Pappadeaux- Seafood, Pappasito's-Mexican.

Reason2succeed
08-23-2017, 09:31 PM
If you have time to stand in line for an hour go to The Breakfast Klub. It's a Houston tradition.

If you're into Mexican the Original Ninfa's is good. I also like Los Cucos.

For BBQ on the north side Gatlin's. On the south side Killen's. I think the owners of Gatlin's are originally from Mississippi.

Also on the northeast side near cypress is Catfish Station. The owner is from Greenwood or Greenville. Cant remember.

For whatever reason my mother-in-law is in love with Texas Roadhouse.

missouridawg
08-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Pay attention to that tropical storm too. Supposed to hit here early Friday morning and give us about 20" of rain over the weekend. Houston floods very easily, so it's easy to get stranded for a quite sometime if you're not careful. Houston sees flood related deaths on an annual basis.

missouridawg
08-23-2017, 09:34 PM
If you have time to stand in line for an hour go to The Breakfast Klub. It's a Houston tradition.

If you're into Mexican the Original Ninfa's is good. I also like Los Cucos.

For BBQ on the north side Gatlin's. On the south side Skillern's. I think the owners of Gatlin's are originally from Mississippi.

Also on the northeast side near cypress is Catfish Station. The owner is from Greenwood or Greenville. Cant remember.

I totally forgot BBQ recommendations. Killens in Pearland (south of town) is THE place to go. If you're on the north side, Corkscrew. If you're anywhere else, Rudys (chain, but fantastic).

Reason2succeed
08-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Pay attention to that tropical storm too. Supposed to hit here early Friday morning and give us about 20" of rain over the weekend. Houston floods very easily, so it's easy to get stranded for a quite sometime if you're not careful. Houston sees flood related deaths on an annual basis.

^^^^^THIS!!!!!!

When I first moved here in 2002 I thought I had found the lost city of Atlantis, the underwater city. If you see water on the road turn around. U turns are legal. Use them.

Treemydawg
08-23-2017, 09:36 PM

I'll be sure and pack my floaties***

Reason2succeed
08-23-2017, 09:38 PM
I totally forgot BBQ recommendations. Killens in Pearland (south of town) is THE place to go. If you're on the north side, Corkscrew. If you're anywhere else, Rudys (chain, but fantastic).

Rudy's has great meat. I love their sauce which is saying something in Texas. (Papa's BBQ has the most disgusting sauce ever. Avoid that place.) The problem with Rudy's is their lack of good sides.

As you can see I'm a foodie.

GreenheadDawg
08-23-2017, 09:39 PM

I live in Houston. Perry's has a good steak. Killen's has good BBQ. Biscuit junkie or Snooze for brunch. My wife and I went to steak 48 for date night a few weeks back and it was in my top 3 for best ribeye steak I've ever had. But be prepared to spend 200+.

Treemydawg
08-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Again thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm not sure what side of town I will be in until I get there. With that said after reading all of yalls suggestions I'm sure I'll come back to Vegas a few pounds heavier.

Bully13
08-23-2017, 09:40 PM
my best advice is find something close to where you will be. driving sux in Houston. two fold considering the weather you may be dealing with.

GreenheadDawg
08-23-2017, 09:45 PM
my best advice is find something close to where you will be. driving sux in Houston. two fold considering the weather you may be dealing with.

Unfortunately I'm on call Saturday or I would be out in it. Between the flooding and the idiots it's going to be hell on the roads this weekend.

missouridawg
08-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Rudy's has great meat. I love their sauce which is saying something in Texas. (Papa's BBQ has the most disgusting sauce ever. Avoid that place.) The problem with Rudy's is their lack of good sides.

Rudys BBQ sauce is fantastic. I usually get their pulled pork, but today I got the pork baby back ribs. So good. And their potato salad is tremendous, to me. Their beans do suck though. I hate ranch style beans though.

Bully13
08-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Rudys BBQ sauce is fantastic. I usually get their pulled pork, but today I got the pork baby back ribs. So good. And their potato salad is tremendous, to me. Their beans do suck though. I hate ranch style beans though.

ever tried their cream corn?

Reason2succeed
08-23-2017, 09:58 PM

Yes, we buy bottles of their sauce to keep at home.

I'm glad someone likes their potato salad because I hate IT AND the beans. I always end up getting the corn on the cob and the new potatoes slathered in butter not because I like it but because I don't like anything else.

starkvegasdawg
08-23-2017, 09:58 PM
I'll be sure and pack my floaties***

I'm jealous. I just want you to know that.

bomanishus
08-23-2017, 09:59 PM
pappas bros steakhouse was the best i had while out there....

missouridawg
08-23-2017, 10:00 PM

I have not but I've also never been a fan of creamed corn. I'll stand by their potato salad, though. I'm not a big potato salad eater, but I think theirs is awesome. Drop a little salt and pepper on it. It's great.

IMissJack
08-23-2017, 10:00 PM

It's very good. Rudy's is amazingly consistent to be a chain.

Bully13
08-23-2017, 10:09 PM
I have not but I've also never been a fan of creamed corn. I'll stand by their potato salad, though. I'm not a big potato salad eater, but I think theirs is awesome. Drop a little salt and pepper on it. It's great.

I haven't been there in a while despite one being 5 minutes away from where I live. I'm not a big cream corn person but there's is the best I've ever had. not a big potato salad person either but I agree there's is damn good. Typically I limit my carbs to lima beans, black eyed peas, beans and quinoa. it's helped me lose weight by laying off the sweet stuff, potatoes, rice and bread. I occasionally break my rules though.

Bully13
08-23-2017, 10:13 PM
It's very good. Rudy's is amazingly consistent to be a chain.

I never was a big brisket person till I moved to Texas. they know how to do it out here. Rudy's moist brisket rocks.

Never was that huge a fan of ribs till I moved to Memphis way back when either. Rendevoux and that other place that do their dry , paprika based dry rub. I never liked BBQ sauce.

starkvegasdawg
08-23-2017, 10:16 PM
I never was a big brisket person till I moved to Texas. they know how to do it out here. Rudy's moist brisket rocks.

Never was that huge a fan of ribs till I moved to Memphis way back when either. Rendevoux and that other place that do their dry , paprika based dry rub. I never liked BBQ sauce.

I can eat mine wet it or dry (ribs that is) but preference is wet. I've started grilling with a dry brown sugar based rub to get a caramalized crust and then add a sauce. Best of both worlds.

Bully13
08-23-2017, 10:24 PM
I can eat mine wet it or dry (ribs that is) but preference is wet. I've started grilling with a dry brown sugar based rub to get a caramalized crust and then add a sauce. Best of both worlds.

I always sucked at ribs till someone taught me to just smoke them on low heat for a while then wrap them in aluminum foil to finish. mine always came out dry till I started doing them that way. I've had some success doing them in the crock pot too believe it or not. it's a much different texture and taste but I was surprised at how tender they were. moist good meat that fell off the bone.

starkvegasdawg
08-23-2017, 10:31 PM
PSA: Houston already sold out of bottled water.

Ezsoil
08-23-2017, 10:43 PM
If you are there for lunch ...the Perry's Pork Chop Friday is the choice hands down....it's a very upscale place and for 14.95 you get a huge porkchop... on Fridays

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/perrys-famous-pork-chop-lunch-is-a-steal-6405900

IMissJack
08-23-2017, 10:45 PM
If you are there for lunch ...the Perry's Pork Chop Friday is the choice hands down....it's a very upscale place and for 14.95 you get a huge porkchop... on Fridays

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/perrys-famous-pork-chop-lunch-is-a-steal-6405900

I've never been able to finish the porkchop. Always have to take a bag home.

ScoobaDawg
08-24-2017, 01:53 AM

You are not a foodie if you think Rudy's is good bbq... It's a chain that far compares to anything in Lockhart and other places.

Offshore Dawg
08-24-2017, 06:21 AM
I can vouch for the Perry's porkchop. Pappadeaux- Seafood, Pappasito's-Mexican.

This all day long every day Pappas chain, all good some better depending on the chef. Lived there 20 years

RiverCityDawg
08-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Goode Company Barbeque. You go through a cafeteria line and tell them what meats/sides you want. Pick up a piece of pecan pie... best I've ever had.

AusTexDawg
08-24-2017, 11:09 AM
I second the recommendation for Perry's pork chop Friday - good stuff - as well as the recommendation not to drive too far for grub. Backstreet Cafe (https://www.backstreetcafe.net/) is a longtime favorite. West of 610, try Jonathan's the Rub (http://www.jonathanstherub.com/).

Beaver
08-24-2017, 12:26 PM
I would recommend not going if possible. Looks like its going to be a mess down there for several days starting Friday eve. If you have to go, stay in a well built moderate sized hotel. Don't stay on the first two floors and try to park in a parking deck. As others have mentioned, flooding is an issue in Houston so you want to protect you and your car.

West Tn Dawg
08-24-2017, 12:50 PM
If around Katy, try Spring Creek Bar B Q and or Orleans Restaurant.
Like they said, "Pay close attention to the storm. You could be sitting in a parking lot for a day or more, if not careful.

SheltonChoked
08-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Start with this list.

http://www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com/

SNAFU
08-24-2017, 02:05 PM
You'll be driving head on into a cat 3 hurricane.

ScoobaDawg
08-24-2017, 04:24 PM
As mentioned by others... Don't go.. Seriously the best thing I would recommend is you make sure someone secures that car at a higher ground and you inspect the hell out of it if you are buying it / picking it up... in another week...

TXDawg
08-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Can't go wrong with Rudy's for BBQ. Their ribs are excellent and the creamed corn is by far the best side.

ETDawg
08-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Beck's Prime for hamburgers & such.

missouridawg
08-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Beck's Prime for hamburgers & such.

Please don't go here. There are 20 places with better burgers.

The best burger in town, however, just closed shop in July. Guys Meat Market, RIP.

The Shack, Lankfords, Jax Burger, Hopdoddy, Liberty Kitchen are just off the top of my head with better burgers.

GreenheadDawg
08-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Please don't go here. There 20 places with better burgers.

The best burger in town, however, just closed shop in July. Guys Mear Marker RIP.

The Shack, Lankfords, Jax Burger, Hopdoddy, Liberty Kitchen are just off the top of my head with better burgers.

Yeh I 2nd this

Reason2succeed
08-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Postpone the trip. Gas is running out so you could get stranded on the side of a road. Water is running out so it could be dangerous. None of the places we mentioned will be open. Navigating Houston is bad enough in regular traffic. This could be a nightmare.

IMissJack
08-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Please don't go here. There are 20 places with better burgers.

The best burger in town, however, just closed shop in July. Guys Meat Market, RIP.

I don't have a problem with their burgers, I have a problem with their prices for their burgers! The jersey cow milk shakes are very good though.

TXDawg
08-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Don't forget about Pappa's Burgers. One of the best burgers I've ever had. They're next door to Pappa's Steakhouse and use the same meat as the steakhouse, but make burgers with it instead.

ETDawg
08-25-2017, 08:41 AM
I guess that I need to expand my list. I love Beck's. Please don't tell me that Pappasito's hot sauce is not any good. :)

Howboutdemdogs
08-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Pappadeaux!

missouridawg
08-25-2017, 09:32 AM
I guess that I need to expand my list. I love Beck's. Please don't tell me that Pappasito's hot sauce is not any good. :)

Pappasitos is my favorite Mexican place here. Their enchiladas are superb.

ETDawg
08-25-2017, 09:35 AM
Used to eat at the one in Beaumont ten years ago...it has gotten more and more expensive (but then so has Pappasitos)