PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Hud guys

BeastMan
09-19-2013, 05:29 PM
A few things before I begin:
-I'm not on the fire Mullen train (yet)
-I like Hudspeth & if he's ever MSU's coach I'll support him 100%

Now, many MSU fans on all the boards seem to think that Hudspeth is the savior of MSU football. Many want him as the MSU coach now. We all know Hud is a pretty dang good offensive coach. Let's take a look at his defenses:
-2011 gave up 29.7 ppg which was 84th in the country
-2012 gave up 28.1 ppg which was 63rd in the country
-so far in '13 giving up 29.7 ppg which is 87th in the country

So his best defense is a dead center middle of the road unit. His others are bottom 1/3 of the country. Someone tell me why this shouldn't be a concern should Mullen move on for whatever reason.

Dawgfan77
09-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Main reason he has played two all be it lower BCS teams with sun belt talent. So that has something to do with it. The other thing is that the sun belt puts up pretty damn good offensive numbers so if his D is middle pack that's not to bad. Better talent more money for coaches = better results.

engie
09-19-2013, 06:07 PM
He's not a defensive coach -- and he also fired his DC and is breaking in a brand new one against what was an unreasonable start to the schedule for a team like ULL.

That said, it should have very little correlation to what he would/could have on defense here. What's to say he wouldn't keep most of the current defensive staff intact? He has coached with at least 2 of them in the past(Hughes and Turner).

After getting his "big raise", HUD is now making $825k at ULL. Previously, he mad $350k there. Point being -- he can't exactly cherrypick a DC there... but the guy he got seemed to be a good fit...(Former OLB/Assoc HC @ Bama)..

BeastMan
09-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Does he have a certain defensive scheme he prefers?

Dawgfan77
09-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Great question I have not seen them play this year but I would imagine a 4-3. HUD is aggressive and will put points on the board. He won't take knees against ole miss when he is on the 5. So I would think He would reach out to Diaz or keep Collins.

blacklistedbully
09-19-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Mullen yet, but I am expecting to see improvement on his play-calling and decision-making the rest of the season to stay on board. But if we were to move on and get Hud, I'd personally like to see him keep Collins, Turner, Townsend & Hughes. Would also be BIG if we could keep Balis. Balis & Mullen are close, so if Mullen goes elsewhere, good chance he takes Balis with him.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Interestingly enough, his DC at North Alabama is current Mississippi Valley State head coach Karl Morgan.