PDA

View Full Version : What the 17 Cohen? I thought we were past this crap!

BulldogBear
08-23-2017, 02:29 PM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/troy-mississippi-state-schedule-football-series-2026-2027/

A home and home? With Troy?

FISHDAWG
08-23-2017, 02:33 PM
that high school will never get my money again - I hated that place and their lousy dark stadium .... why a home and home is beyond me

Joe Schmedlap
08-23-2017, 02:37 PM
That sux

TrapGame
08-23-2017, 02:43 PM
We went in there with Dak last time and they treated like their 17ing Superbowl. They had a capacity attendance of like 32,000.

Davids are always looking for Goliaths. We need to be smarter than this.

Mobile Bay
08-23-2017, 02:49 PM
We went in there with Dak last time and they treated like their 17ing Superbowl. They had a capacity attendance of like 32,000.

Yeah and they were completely overwhelmed. Something like an hour and a half wait at the concession stands. It was a complete and utter cluster****.

RunDog26
08-23-2017, 02:57 PM
If we have to do a home-home with a school like this, why can't it be Tulane?

Bothrops
08-23-2017, 03:00 PM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/troy-mississippi-state-schedule-football-series-2026-2027/

A home and home? With Troy?

This really is unnecessary. We play way too many Alabama teams. It looks like we'd want to gain exposure by playing different programs that aren't always in our backyard. And going to Troy to play...that just sets us up for more ridicule. I just don't understand.

TrapGame
08-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Yeah and they were completely overwhelmed. Something like an hour and a half wait at the concession stands. It was a complete and utter cluster****.

Yeah, but that whole first quarter they put up a good fight.***

Martianlander
08-23-2017, 03:08 PM
By 2026 and 2027 Troy may be in the SEC to replace unm.

SaintDawg
08-23-2017, 03:09 PM
This really is unnecessary. We play way too many Alabama teams. It looks like we'd want to gain exposure by playing different programs that aren't always in our backyard. And going to Troy to play...that just sets us up for more ridicule. I just don't understand.

Waaaay too many AL teams. Like someone else said on the thread, why not Tulane? When we play U-La-La in the Dome in a couple years, that's gonna be a ton of fun. Why not schedule that with Tulane?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Half the SEC has these type of games. You can only schedule USM, Tulane, & Memphis so many times. Every now & again you have to get a Troy, La Tech, ULL, or Middle TN.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Why not schedule that with Tulane?

We have 2020 @ MSU & 2023 @ Tulane

Ari Gold
08-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Rather play @Troy that @La Tech
A 2 for 1 would be better , but it's 10 years from now everyone chill
Hell even the The U is playing in Jonesboro Ark this year.

And if you really want to bitch , yeah we get Tulane there in a few years but it's at their ****ing new stadium and not the Dome and this deal was made after Tulane ****s us for the Oklahoma deal . Thanks Scott. He is ur problem now UF

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Hell I just hope to be alive in 10 years!

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Half the SEC has these type of games. You can only schedule USM, Tulane, & Memphis so many times. Every now & again you have to get a Troy, La Tech, ULL, or Middle TN.

3 for 1 then

Ifyouonlyknew
08-23-2017, 03:56 PM
3 for 1 then

Good luck with getting a 3 for 1. It's hard enough to get a 2 for 1.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-23-2017, 04:02 PM
OM has 4 game home & home with Memphis & a home & home with Tulane
Kentucky has a home & home with USM & a home & home with Eastern Michigan
Missouri has home & home scheduled with UCONN, Wyoming, Middle TN, Memphis, & Miami (OH)
Vandy has home & home scheduled with Middle TN, Colorado St, Northern Illinois, & Georgia St

basedog
08-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Damn young'uns bitch too much, thank goodness for Blue Hair leadership*****

Tbonewannabe
08-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Good luck with getting a 3 for 1. It's hard enough to get a 2 for 1.

These small schools are demanding a lot more $$$ to do those so you see less of them now. I would hope we are weighing the money made at home vs not paying for the 2 for 1. I imagine we would take a considerable hit paying someone for the 2 for 1.

Dawgface
08-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Hell I just hope to be alive in 10 years!

Ain't that the truth.

Spiderman
08-23-2017, 04:21 PM

Yep

1bigdawg
08-23-2017, 04:21 PM
These small schools are demanding a lot more $$$ to do those so you see less of them now. I would hope we are weighing the money made at home vs not paying for the 2 for 1. I imagine we would take a considerable hit paying someone for the 2 for 1.

We are paying USM $1.2 million for the last of the three games. 60,000 X 20 = $1.2 million. Seems like a no brainer to pay for the game at home.

Tbonewannabe
08-23-2017, 04:29 PM
We are paying USM $1.2 million for the last of the three games. 60,000 X 20 = $1.2 million. Seems like a no brainer to pay for the game at home.

I am sure there are other factors than those. I would hope that our people are smart enough to figure out (ticket sales + concession revenue - payment to opponent) > (payment by Troy for away game). There has to be more to it or no major program would ever play at Troy, Arkansas St, or USM.

FISHDAWG
08-23-2017, 04:40 PM

And if you really want to bitch , yeah we get Tulane there in a few years but it's at their ****ing new stadium and not the Dome and this deal was made after Tulane ****s us for the Oklahoma deal . Thanks Scott. He is ur problem now UF

rep awarded but I still would rather let Troy drop into obscurity ...and play another team

Todd4State
08-23-2017, 08:03 PM
The only thing I would like to be different is a 2 for 1 with Troy.

One thing I would like to see Cohen explore and do more is what we are doing with ULL in 2019. It's a "road" game for us but it's at the Superdome and I think we play them in Starkville in 2018.

We could play people like Tulane, Louisiana Tech, ULM and of course ULL in the Superdome. We could play Arkansas State at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. Middle Tennessee State at the Titans stadium in Nashville. Georgia State and Georgia Southern in Atlanta where the Falcons play. NO USM in Jackson though. I'm a little surprised La Tech isn't playing us in Shreveport to be honest. I think they did that with Texas A&M.

Leroy Jenkins
08-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Every game scheduled is a home-home. The money is sometimes paid to buy out having to go to their, place this replaces their potential revenue. In cases like this, we didn't want/need to buy out their half of the home-home.

Reason2succeed
08-23-2017, 08:47 PM

One thing I would like to see Cohen explore and do more is what we are doing with ULL in 2019. It's a "road" game for us but it's at the Superdome and I think we play them in Starkville in 2018.

We could play people like Tulane, Louisiana Tech, ULM and of course ULL in the Superdome. We could play Arkansas State at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. Middle Tennessee State at the Titans stadium in Nashville. Georgia State and Georgia Southern in Atlanta where the Falcons play. NO USM in Jackson though. I'm a little surprised La Tech isn't playing us in Shreveport to be honest. I think they did that with Texas A&M.

How does the money work with those situations though? You have to pay something for the venue.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 09:11 PM

You do realize the deal that Tulane ****ed us on was a 2 for 1 signed off on in the early 2000's by LT, in which we were paying Tulane like $150k to come to Starkville. Had absolutely nothing to do with Stricklin.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Really hard to get pissed about series that is 10 years away. My guess is we'll be at 9 conference games at that time anyway, and any nonconference games could potentially be on the chopping block.

Todd4State
08-23-2017, 10:12 PM
How does the money work with those situations though? You have to pay something for the venue.

I honestly have no idea but I'm sure there are fees associated with using the venue. But Scott made it work for the Superdome which I would think would be one of the more expensive venues in the Southeast to lease out for a football game. It's probably easier to use the Superdome now that Tulane doesn't use it- and that would be the tricky thing about playing someone like Arkansas State at the Liberty Bowl. Making sure Memphis isn't home that same weekend.

Schultzy
08-23-2017, 10:20 PM
We recruit Alabama well and this helps in that regard.

Todd4State
08-23-2017, 10:55 PM
We recruit Alabama well and this helps in that regard.

Just my opinion but I think that is a myth. And that applies to anyone we play. I mean, I just don't think we're going to start to get a foothold in NOLA by playing Tulane there either. I just don't think recruits really care about that or operate like that. Just like whoever wins the Egg Bowl isn't going to start flipping the other school's recruits. When we play BYU I don't think we're going to get a ton of guys from Utah.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 11:15 PM
Just my opinion but I think that is a myth. And that applies to anyone we play. I mean, I just don't think we're going to start to get a foothold in NOLA by playing Tulane there either. I just don't think recruits really care about that or operate like that. Just like whoever wins the Egg Bowl isn't going to start flipping the other school's recruits. When we play BYU I don't think we're going to get a ton of guys from Utah.

I think in the 90's and before that, the argument about "increasing recruiting exposure" made some sense. In those days, you could really only get a glimpse of a program from far away if they came to your city or played your local team on television. But now its 2017, and any recruit out there who gets a letter from MSU can say "cool, let me see what they are about" and then log into ESPN3 and watch replays of the last few games, search on twitter and start following the players, or go to Wikipedia, etc. It's just a totally different era now and you really gain nothing by actually traveling to any given area to play in front of different fans.

I remember in 2013 when we played Oklahoma State in Houston, and a lot of people argued that adding a very difficult nonconference game (which ended up damn near costing us bowl eligibility) was worth it because it increased our recruiting footprint in the fertile state of Texas. Fast forward to now, and I can't think of one single player who we have signed from Texas or Oklahoma in 4 years worth of recruiting classes since we played that game. It really is a myth that it has any effect on recruiting.

gravedigger
08-23-2017, 11:18 PM

Because even though New Orleans is cool for fans, their school has proven they can't be trusted. Memphis is similar.

Todd4State
08-24-2017, 01:22 AM
I think in the 90's and before that, the argument about "increasing recruiting exposure" made some sense. In those days, you could really only get a glimpse of a program from far away if they came to your city or played your local team on television. But now its 2017, and any recruit out there who gets a letter from MSU can say "cool, let me see what they are about" and then log into ESPN3 and watch replays of the last few games, search on twitter and start following the players, or go to Wikipedia, etc. It's just a totally different era now and you really gain nothing by actually traveling to any given area to play in front of different fans.

I remember in 2013 when we played Oklahoma State in Houston, and a lot of people argued that adding a very difficult nonconference game (which ended up damn near costing us bowl eligibility) was worth it because it increased our recruiting footprint in the fertile state of Texas. Fast forward to now, and I can't think of one single player who we have signed from Texas or Oklahoma in 4 years worth of recruiting classes since we played that game. It really is a myth that it has any effect on recruiting.

Exactly. Being in the SEC and having the SEC Network is about as good as any exposure we could hope to have. I think as far as exposure playing a gimmicky Thursday night game against BYU is only very minimal in terms of impact. The exposure we need is what Dak is giving us right now. Ever since he graduated we've landed no less than a four star QB prospect. That and doing things like enclosing Davis Wade Stadium and building better facilities and putting guys in the NFL is what is turning the corner for us.

Todd4State
08-24-2017, 01:31 AM
Because even though New Orleans is cool for fans, their school has proven they can't be trusted. Memphis is similar.

If I'm Cohen, I would definitely ask Tulane if they would be interested in doing a deal where we play one game at their stadium, a game in Starkville, and then a game at the Superdome. They have a different administration know than the one that messed us over. Plus Ole Miss is playing Tulane at their stadium as well. I've been to their stadium and I think it will still be a very good experience for the fans that go. As I've said before, you can still stay in the French Quarter and just take the St. Charles streetcar from Canal to their campus and only pay $2.50 both ways or $3.00 for a 24 hour all day pass.

At any rate, Scott scheduling ULL at the Superdome was a great idea. Even though it's a neutral site game it will be like another home game for us based on what we drew the last time we played Tulane in 2007 and the crowd the ULL brought for the New Orleans Bowl this past year.

I'm not sure why you don't think Memphis can be trusted? The only thing about them was we played them every year for many years. We've stopped doing that know but it got pretty stale having to play them every year. They're still on the schedule for the future too with a home and home as well.

Schultzy
08-24-2017, 06:12 AM
I'd be willing to bet our coaches walk into some high schools they wouldn't otherwise bc of this trip. And some hs players will attend and see us play live that wouldn't otherwise get a chance to.

SEC network exposure is great but in person contact makes a difference even if it's only a few players or coaches interacted with and this provides that opportunity in an area much closer in proximity than Houston, TX.

BulldogBear
08-24-2017, 06:13 AM

Agree on the 2 for 1 and was my basic beef in OP. Home and home series with Sun Belt type schools smacks of LT and Croom. I don't consider the ULL series to be a home and home. We finally get CUSA Southern Miss in a 2 for 1 where they belong and follow it up with this? About the only SBC I might consider a true Home and Home with would have been Georgia State.

I have noted however that we play Troy in Starkville first. It could be one of those cases where ten years from now the buyout won't be all that much to us and Cohen may even be planning to convert it to a buy a single buy game in effect. That's basically what happened with Tulane. They owed us a home game, the final in a six game series by all appearances. Scheduling strung the final one out to a decade or so from the previous game and by then the buyout for Tulane just wasn't nearly as crippling as it would have been 9 years earlier. Also note that this time, Tulane comes here first.

Dawgfan77
08-24-2017, 06:39 AM

That was south AL. Troy was with Russel

dawgoneyall
08-24-2017, 06:49 AM
Went to the game in 2012? at Troy. Had to wait in line to get thur security check and missed the start of the game (as did many). And they weren't looking for bombs.... those bastards were looking for cowbells. Fine I quess, but immediately entering they were handing out thundersticks. 17 those bastards.

Won't go back to that low class excuse of a place.

Ari Gold
08-24-2017, 08:23 AM
You do realize the deal that Tulane ****ed us on was a 2 for 1 signed off on in the early 2000's by LT, in which we were paying Tulane like $150k to come to Starkville. Had absolutely nothing to do with Stricklin.

I am aware. My point is That's why if you play them again there is NO WAY you don't MAKE them play us in the Dome. You don't just roll over and agree to play them at that Tulane High.

Homedawg
08-24-2017, 09:39 AM
If I'm Cohen, I would definitely ask Tulane if they would be interested in doing a deal where we play one game at their stadium, a game in Starkville, and then a game at the Superdome. They have a different administration know than the one that messed us over. Plus Ole Miss is playing Tulane at their stadium as well. I've been to their stadium and I think it will still be a very good experience for the fans that go. As I've said before, you can still stay in the French Quarter and just take the St. Charles streetcar from Canal to their campus and only pay $2.50 both ways or $3.00 for a 24 hour all day pass.

At any rate, Scott scheduling ULL at the Superdome was a great idea. Even though it's a neutral site game it will be like another home game for us based on what we drew the last time we played Tulane in 2007 and the crowd the ULL brought for the New Orleans Bowl this past year.

I'm not sure why you don't think Memphis can be trusted? The only thing about them was we played them every year for many years. We've stopped doing that know but it got pretty stale having to play them every year. They're still on the schedule for the future too with a home and home as well.

So let me get this straight, you don't want a 1 for one yet you will go to New Orleans twice as long as one is in the superdome? Herm Edwards words- don't press send!! So you argued against yourself and then came up with that???

Todd4State
08-24-2017, 11:47 AM
So let me get this straight, you don't want a 1 for one yet you will go to New Orleans twice as long as one is in the superdome? Herm Edwards words- don't press send!! So you argued against yourself and then came up with that???

I want a 2 for 1 with Troy. Not Tulane. With Tulane I'm basically saying I would be fine with us going to NOLA twice. Tulane is an exception for me because of where they are located.