PDA

View Full Version : Woolly Thread - There Appears to Be Disconnect with MSU's Football Team

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2017, 04:08 PM
This was the conversation on the B&B show this morning & I found it intriguing.

A few days ago Barrett Sallee was interviewing Booger McFarland about Nick Fitzgerald & Booger made the following statements.

- Fitz will be top 2 to 3 QB in SEC

- Fitz will rush for 1,000 yards (rushed for 1,375 last year)

- Fitz will have 3,500 passing yards (Passed for 2,423 yards last year. I think 3,500 is too much. Will probably be around 2,700 - 3,000)

- Fitz will have 40 to 50 TDs (Last year Fitz had 21 pass TDs & 16 rush TDs for total of 37 TD)

- MSU will be a 6-6 to 7-5 team

Now here is where things get exciting:

MSU lost 4 games in 2016 by 7 points or less. I realize the schedule is more difficult this season, but, unless MSU's defense is dramatically worse in 2017 than 2016 or we have massive amounts of injuries, it's virtually impossible for Fitz to put up numbers similar to what Booger said & only win 6 or 7 games. If Fitz puts up those type of numbers we are likely at least an 8 win team.

We saw a similar situation a few years ago when Dak was named 1st team all-SEC preseason QB but MSU was picked last. It didn't add up then & it doesn't add up now.

"I haven't spent much time studying Fitzgerald, but his name has come up several times in my conversations with NFL scouts. In fact, every single one of them told me the Mississippi State signal caller is the best quarterback in the SEC. He posted impressive rushing numbers last fall and has prototypical size/athleticism. He's improving as a passer and scouts believe he has a very high ceiling in that department. I'm anxious to dig in and study his play this fall. Fitzgerald could be the breakout star in the SEC, if not the entire country."

smootness
08-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Who is that quote from?

msstate7
08-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Who is that quote from?

I said it on another board**

BeardoMSU
08-22-2017, 04:40 PM
Who is that quote from?

I assumed it was Nick, himself, talking in 3rd person, obviously...**

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Who is that quote from?

From this article on Seccountry.com
http://https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/nfl-scouts-agree-nick-fitzgerald-best-qb-sec/amp (http://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/nfl-scouts-agree-nick-fitzgerald-best-qb-sec/amp)

BB30
08-22-2017, 04:50 PM

A few days ago Barrett Sallee was interviewing Booger McFarland about Nick Fitzgerald & Booger made the following statements.

- Fitz will have 3,500 passing yards (Passed for 2,423 yards last year. I think 3,500 is too much. Will probably be around 2,700 - 3,000)

- Fitz will have 40 to 50 TDs (Last year Fitz had 21 pass TDs & 16 rush TDs for total of 37 TD)

MSU lost 4 games in 2016 by 7 points or less. I realize the schedule is more difficult this season, but, unless MSU's defense is dramatically worse in 2017 than 2016 or we have massive amounts of injuries, it's virtually impossible for Fitz to put up numbers similar to what Booger said & only win 6 or 7 games. If Fitz puts up those type of numbers we are likely at least an 8 win team.

We saw a similar situation a few years ago when Dak was named 1st team all-SEC preseason QB but MSU was picked last. It didn't add up then & it doesn't add up now.

"I haven't spent much time studying Fitzgerald, but his name has come up several times in my conversations with NFL scouts. In fact, every single one of them told me the Mississippi State signal caller is the best quarterback in the SEC. He posted impressive rushing numbers last fall and has prototypical size/athleticism. He's improving as a passer and scouts believe he has a very high ceiling in that department. I'm anxious to dig in and study his play this fall. Fitzgerald could be the breakout star in the SEC, if not the entire country."

I would temper the passing expectations a tad but other than that I think the rest is possible. I agree, I think he will be closer to the 2,700 yd mark. If he rushes for 1k and throws for over 3k I think we definitely win 8 games with an outside shot at 9 or 10. Those would be some insane numbers for this league. I am not sure he has the tools around him to get in the 3500 yd ballpark.

RougeDawg
08-22-2017, 05:11 PM
I assumed it was Nick, himself, talking in 3rd person, obviously...**

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

RougeDawg
08-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Yes, there is disconnect but there is also disconnect amongst our own fan base. How quickly some us forgot how easily we could have won 8 games last year with a shit defense and first year starting Soph QB.

If our defense marginally improves and Fitz has only 75% the jump Dak had from Soph to Jr seasons, we should expect nothing less than 8 wins. Fitz at end of Soph year was leaps and bounds ahead of Dak after liberty bowl. Just based on QB development under Mullen dating back to MiniLee and Ralph, why would anyone expect anything less than the improvements we have seen under previous QB's. Plus this year we aren't splitting 1st team reps into late September.

Just as with every other year, people look for more reasons to say we will suck than look at the best QB on the SEC on our roster. Barring a rash of injuries, I see no reason we should not win 7 minimum and will have at minimum 50-/59 chance in all games but Bama and Auburn.

BiscuitEater
08-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Fitz passes for 3.5K, rushes for 1K & has 40-50 tds and NO WAY MSU doesn't win at least 10 games. *

*(small 'if' .. D has to be somewhat improved)

Mobile Bay
08-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Yes, there is disconnect but there is also disconnect amongst our own fan base. How quickly some us forgot how easily we could have won 8 games last year with a shit defense and first year starting Soph QB.

If our defense marginally improves and Fitz has only 75% the jump Dak had from Soph to Jr seasons, we should expect nothing less than 8 wins. Fitz at end of Soph year was leaps and bounds ahead of Dak after liberty bowl. Just based on QB development under Mullen dating back to MiniLee and Ralph, why would anyone expect anything less than the improvements we have seen under previous QB's. Plus this year we aren't splitting 1st team reps into late September.

Just as with every other year, people look for more reasons to say we will suck than look at the best QB on the SEC on our roster. Barring a rash of injuries, I see no reason we should not win 7 minimum and will have at minimum 50-/59 chance in all games but Bama and Auburn.

We will beat Auburn. Maltzahn can't coach a qb how to poor piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. Stiedham is going to flop hard, like every other Maltzahn QB

BeastMan
08-22-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm not going to put unrealistic expectations on Fitz. People forget than when we were pass first with Holloway at RB, he was horrible throwing the ball. Incredibly inconsistent & unsure. When Mullen started running Aeris and using Fitz in the running game, it opened up passing lanes for Fitz which made him a more effective thrower. Basically, playing to his strengths made him an effective passer. Fitz has a long long long way to go to reach Dak's senior year passing effectiveness and skill level. What I'm not going to assume is that it's a given Fitz makes the same jumps Dak made going in to his junior and senior years. Mullen's record as a developer certainly says it's possible but I'm not putting my expectation on Fitz that he's as driven as Dak who took over the NFL as a rookie. Dak's passing completion % went 58, 61, 66. Dak's td/int ratio went 10/7, 27/11, 29/5. Fitz was 54% and 21/10. The stat I'm going to watch to quantify Fitz's progression as a QB to Dak's will be completion % against ranked opponents. Dak's jr year it was 59%. Fitz's was 42% last year. If we see Fitz jump in to Dak's realm in that statistic, I'll be prepared to put a high level of expectations on him.

WSOPdawg
08-22-2017, 05:51 PM
If Fitz accounts for 50 TD, then we're scoring 40 pts a game as others like Aries and the RBs will give another 10 TDs not counting any defensive scores or kick & punt returns for scores. If we are scoring 40 puts a game, we will again be one of the biggest surprises in the nation and pushing 9-10 wins.

If Fitz accounts for 50 TD, then he's in a Heisman finalist in early December.

Reason2succeed
08-22-2017, 05:52 PM
If at least
Donald Gray = Chad Bumphis
+ Keith Mixon = Michael Carr
+ Jordan Thomas = Malcolm Johnson
+ Aeris Williams = Vick Ballard

Then Mullen will produce offense.

Can Grantham's Defense = Diaz or Collin's ?

I don't see anything that isn't possible or able to be be exceeded.

BeardoMSU
08-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Fitz passes for 3.5K, rushes for 1K & has 40-50 tds and NO WAY MSU doesn't win at least 10 games. *

*(small 'if' .. D has to be somewhat improved)

...and he'd being in NYC at the end of the year too...

shannondawg
08-22-2017, 05:58 PM
I was just content to sit back and enjoy umw's misery now after reading all this, I can't wait for football to kickoff.

TrapGame
08-22-2017, 05:59 PM
We will beat Auburn. Maltzahn can't coach a qb how to poor piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. Stiedham is going to flop hard, like every other Maltzahn QB

Stidham may be a good QB by our game with AU. But I kinda see Clemson giving everyone the plan on stopping him early on. AU will have a solid D so I look for our game to be low scoring. It may come down to a field goal...yikes!!

Dawgology
08-22-2017, 06:01 PM
I would temper the passing expectations a tad but other than that I think the rest is possible. I agree, I think he will be closer to the 2,700 yd mark. If he rushes for 1k and throws for over 3k I think we definitely win 8 games with an outside shot at 9 or 10. Those would be some insane numbers for this league. I am not sure he has the tools around him to get in the 3500 yd ballpark.

This is a good statement. He will need some legitimate outside targets to develop in game 1 and 2 or those passing numbers will be much lower. Also, he had better pass waaaaaaaaay better than he did in the Spring Game.

bostondawg
08-22-2017, 06:11 PM

I think the general thought is that Malzahn doesn't have to develop Stidham--Art Briles did that for him.

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Rumors of injuries coming out of fall camp have led me to adjust my win total down to 6 or 7 in the regular season. Also, I keep going back to the last real game we played in the bowl where we looked like garbage and Fitz underwhelming in the spring game. I don't care if it is only an open scrimmage. 4 ints is bad anytime. I'm less wooly now than ever.

TrapGame
08-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Rumors of injuries coming out of fall camp have led me to adjust my win total down to 6 or 7 in the regular season. Also, I keep going back to the last real game we played in the bowl where we looked like garbage and Fitz underwhelming in the spring game. I don't care if it is only an open scrimmage. 4 ints is bad anytime. I'm less wooly now than ever.

Apply liberally.***

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/509/18732814151_6a8a6e52ac_o.jpg

Spiderman
08-22-2017, 06:36 PM
If we had an avg. D last year, we win 8-9

TrapGame
08-22-2017, 06:44 PM

You are 100% correct. BYU, SA, UK and maybe Arky but Allen was playing very well that night.

MSUDawg99
08-22-2017, 07:01 PM
You are 100% correct. BYU, SA, UK and maybe Arky but Allen was playing very well that night.

So was Fitz. Our defense never showed up. They must've thought the game was AT Ark & hit the road.

maroonmania
08-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Per Booger Fitz must be the greatest QB ever! I mean per what Booger said, Nick has no blocking, no playmakers at WR and no difference makers at RB yet is going to be able to rush for over a 1,000 yards, pass for 3,500 yards and account for 40 to 50 TDs. Fitz apparently will be just this side of Superman if he can do all of that while opposing defenses don't have to worry about anyone else on the field in our offense.

Kyper
08-22-2017, 07:25 PM

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall disagree. Mike Henig could QB this Auburn team to 8 wins. Stidham wins at least 10 games

Kyper
08-22-2017, 07:31 PM

D did their job vs South Alabama and BYU. We still lost those games. D did their job vs LSU- lost that game. Our offense struggled alot last year whether people want to admit it or not. Our offense finished 7th in the SEC despite playing alot of weak defenses last year.

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 07:36 PM
D did their job vs South Alabama and BYU. We still lost those games. D did their job vs LSU- lost that game. Our offense struggled alot last year whether people want to admit it or not. Our offense finished 7th in the SEC despite playing alot of weak defenses last year.

Yup. D had nothing to do with South Bama, LSU, or BYU. All three of those games are on the offense. Fitz was terrible in BR and nothing more than average in Provo.

TrapGame
08-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Yup. D had nothing to do with South Bama, LSU, or BYU. All three of those games are on the offense. Fitz was terrible in BR and nothing more than average in Provo.

Well shit, I guess we shoulda kept Sirmon then.***

Jack Lambert
08-22-2017, 08:35 PM

S Alabama Offense went through our defense like our defense was high school the second half. Their offense made adjustments at half but our defense did not. It was all about coaching. SC did the same thing the very next week.

tireddawg
08-22-2017, 08:39 PM
I don't know about 50 td's. I do know that Dan has gotten better at developing qbs since he's been here. I believe he learned alot with Dak, which will only help Fitz more.
From what I've heard Fitz has the work ethic and knows the O inside and out. Won't be any thinking this year. I think he has a very special year, his name will be brought up for the draft, and we win 9 games.

Commercecomet24
08-22-2017, 08:43 PM

So Fitz hurdles into the end zone in OT at byu to give us a lead and all the defense had to do was fall on a fumble after a sack on byu next possession and game over but they couldn't get it done. Defense blows a 20 point second half lead to usa. Those 2 were on the defense as well as arky and uk.

Political Hack
08-22-2017, 08:52 PM
Fitz is a man eater. He's a more powerful and explosive version of Dak. Dak has that "it" factor that separates him, but Fitz is more athletically gifted than Dak. That's obvious to everyone, and he's got the same guy coaching him.

Kyper
08-22-2017, 09:00 PM
So Fitz hurdles into the end zone in OT at byu to give us a lead and all the defense had to do was fall on a fumble after a sack on byu next possession and game over but they couldn't get it done. Defense blows a 20 point second half lead to usa. Those 2 were on the defense as well as arky and uk.

Our D only gave up 14 points in regulation vs BYU. Thats a winning effort.
Our offense couldnt move the ball or score a point vs South Alabama in the 2nd half, costing us the game. When South Alabama shuts out an SEC team in the 2nd half of a game that is 100 degrees- your offense sux. Thats not on the D

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Whatevs, gentleman. We will see soon enough.

BrunswickDawg
08-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Our D only gave up 14 points in regulation vs BYU. Thats a winning effort.
Our offense couldnt move the ball or score a point vs South Alabama in the 2nd half, costing us the game. When South Alabama shuts out an SEC team in the 2nd half of a game that is 100 degrees- your offense sux. Thats not on the D

I seem to remember that Williams was the Qb for almost all of that shitfest

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 09:13 PM
I feel like Rhett Buttler when he told all of the folks at the BBQ that the South couldn't win a war with words. I may be unpopular now, but just you wait until we finish 6-6.

DownwardDawg
08-22-2017, 09:17 PM
I feel like Rhett Buttler when he told all of the folks at the BBQ that the South couldn't win a war with words. I may be unpopular now, but just you wait until we finish 6-6.

I'll be extremely happy with 8-4. Extremely.

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 09:18 PM
I seem to remember that Williams was the Qb for almost all of that shitfest

Is it because Fitz was 0-4 to start the day? Fitz is a good QB. One of the best in the conference, but let's be reasonable. The offense sputtered at times even with him at the helm.

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 09:21 PM

I will be too, but I don't see us beating AU @ AU, UGA @ UGA, and TAMU in Kyle Station or Arky at Arky. We are not beating Bama.

We win all 4 ooc plus U.K. And OM

HSVDawg
08-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Same here. Gut tells me 7-5 with us flipping BYU and UK to the W column, taking care of business against the other 3 nonconference teams, and flipping A&M to the L column. Loss to UGA. All other outcomes would be the same as last year.

I do think our one swing game upset opportunity is LSU. We'll need to play a lot better up front than we did last year though. And we'll definitely need Rivers to help slow down Guice.

Percho
08-22-2017, 09:37 PM
...and he'd being in NYC at the end of the year too...

Giants should be about ready for a new QB?

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2017, 10:47 PM
I will be too, but I don't see us beating AU @ AU, UGA @ UGA, and TAMU in Kyle Station or Arky at Arky. We are not beating Bama.
We win all 4 ooc plus U.K. And OM

Would be horribly disappointing to not win at least 1 of these. Our B+ game likely gives us a greater than 60% chance to beat UGA, TAMU, & Arky. To not play a B+ in at least one those would be pathetic. I can't imagine that all three of those teams will play well against us

RougeDawg
08-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Is it because Fitz was 0-4 to start the day? Fitz is a good QB. One of the best in the conference, but let's be reasonable. The offense sputtered at times even with him at the helm.

Fitz went 0-3 against USA. With a receiving corp that wanted a different QB. Fred Ross wanted a different QB all year and his attitude impacted performances, or lack there of, cost him a draft pick.

Come on people. Let's see the entire picture and not that which we wish to remember.

Pollodawg
08-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Fitz went 0-3 against USA. With a receiving corp that wanted a different QB. Fred Ross wanted a different QB all year and his attitude impacted performances, or lack there of, cost him a draft pick.

Come on people. Let's see the entire picture and not that which we wish to remember.

What we wish to remember? Why would I want to remember Fitz playing poorly. He's the second best QB we've had in the Mullen era to date and top two in school history. I hope Fitz does so well that he leaves after this year, because that means he is a first rounder. No, I want Fitz to dominate. I was just saying there were times our crappy play wasn't on D.

Todd4State
08-23-2017, 12:02 AM

South Alabama finished 92 in scoring offense and 82 in total offense last year. They averaged 25 points per game on the year and we allowed them to score 21. We probably should have blown them out.

Our offense struggled when we were running a scatback up the middle. When Aeris took over the offense looked much better.

Todd4State
08-23-2017, 12:05 AM

People forget this. And plays like that is why I never called for Fitz to be benched last year.

RougeDawg
08-23-2017, 12:54 AM
People forget this. And plays like that is why I never called for Fitz to be benched last year.

Ditto

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Would be horribly disappointing to not win at least 1 of these. Our B+ game likely gives us a greater than 60% chance to beat UGA, TAMU, & Arky. To not play a B+ in at least one those would be pathetic. I can't imagine that all three of those teams will play well against us

Have you looked at our record on the road against those 3 teams? Historically speaking, the odds are overwhelming that we will definitely lose all 3.

We are something like 2-12 all time in the state of Arkansas.
We are the only team in the West who hasn't won at Kyle Field since they joined the SEC (except Arkansas who plays them in Dallas every year, and they have wins there from the old Big 8 days).
Haven't beaten UGA in Athens since like the 60's or 70's.

Our best chance is probably against A&M, but its still hard to say it would be even remotely unexpected for us to lose all 3.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Have you looked at our record on the road against those 3 teams? Historically speaking, the odds are overwhelming that we will definitely lose all 3.

We are the only team in the West who hasn't won at Kyle Field since they joined the SEC (except Arkansas who plays them in Dallas every year, and they have wins there from the old Big 8 days).

Our best chance is probably against A&M, but its still hard to say it would be even remotely unexpected for us to lose all 3.

Of course you can look at this way and say Dan is 2-0 in his last 2 trips to arky which is more recent history.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Not sure what any of this has to do with this year.

TrapGame
08-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Of course you can look at this way and say Dan is 2-0 in his last 2 trips to arky which is more recent history.

Damn, you just stomped on that narrative.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 10:36 AM

In two games that were basically toss ups in which we had to get a miracle blocked field goal and a 25 yard run from our 3rd string "locker room cancer" QB in OT against a 3-win team. Point is that we never play well up there.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Not sure what any of this has to do with this year.

It doesn't. But how else are you going to set expectations of what is disappointing or not? I can say that it's disappointing if we don't beat Alabama this year and say the same thing you are saying, their 4 national titles, 3 straight CFP appearances, and current 9 game winning streak against us over the past decade doesn't have anything to do with this year.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2017, 10:52 AM
In two games that were basically toss ups in which we had to get a miracle blocked field goal and a 25 yard run from our 3rd string "locker room cancer" QB in OT against a 3-win team. Point is that we never play well up there.

A win is a win, period. The fact is we have played well enough the last 2 trips to win there, doesn't matter how it just matters that you win.

HSVDawg
08-23-2017, 11:25 AM
A win is a win, period. The fact is we have played well enough the last 2 trips to win there, doesn't matter how it just matters that you win.

My original reply to Shotgun was more aligned to his comment about us winning with our "B+" game. We never play our "B+" game up there. 2 years ago we gave up 50 points. 4 years ago we scored 17 in regulation and were taken to OT by a team that went winless in SEC play. We can go up there and play a C- or D+ game like the last two times up there and still scrap out a win if Ark also does the same or worse. But we shouldn't EXPECT that.

Johnson85
08-23-2017, 11:36 AM

??? I may have watched the wrong game last year, but that was MSU playing Miami of Ohio in a bowl game last year? Right?

Fitz is a beast, and I have high expectations for him, but I don't think he is wear Dak was at this point. I think he was actually ahead of him but has simply not progressed as quickly, which most QBs are not going to see the kind of imporvement Dak did.

Pollodawg
08-23-2017, 11:44 AM
If Fitz can learn to take what the defense gives him and be more consistent with the underneath and short to intermediate passes, he will unstoppable. He has to learn that not every play has to be a SC highlight.

Perpetual Underachiever
08-23-2017, 08:08 PM

Thought this thread was worth a bump after Booger just picked us to go 5-7 on SECN. Let em' sleep on us. I'm getting more confident by the day. Great interview with Grantham on Bounds this morning, and I honestly believe our defense is set for one of the greatest 1 year improvements ever. Complete 180. Gonna be a fun year.