PDA

View Full Version : Injury in Training Camp

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2017, 08:55 AM
Hopefully this is our tokken injury in training.

Looks like Landon Guidry busted up his knee & is out for the year.

https://twitter.com/guidry_rg7/status/899871044701487104

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Looks like Abram may miss a few games as well with a knee issue

JimmyMcNulty
08-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Robbie on 24/7 is claiming Abram will miss some games due to a meniscus injury SMMFH

HSVDawg
08-22-2017, 09:32 AM
So we signed all those JUCOS and except for Sweat we will get impacts from basically none of them until later in the year if at all.

And we will have 71 healthy players (max) available against Charleston Southern. The roster management by our staff has left a hell of a lot to be desired over the past 2 recruiting classes. I hope the 2018 class remedies that situation to stop the bleeding.

confucius say
08-22-2017, 09:36 AM
So we signed all those JUCOS and except for Sweat we will get impacts from basically none of them until later in the year if at all.

And we will have 71 healthy players (max) available against Charleston Southern. The roster management by our staff has left a hell of a lot to be desired over the past 2 recruiting classes. I hope the 2018 class remedies that situation to stop the bleeding.

Rivers?

HSVDawg
08-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Rivers?

Last I heard he was in the same boat as Cole. But I don't know that has been confirmed as final.

Maroons
08-22-2017, 10:02 AM

You blaming the staff for an injury in camp?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-22-2017, 10:03 AM
a few? try again.

HSVDawg
08-22-2017, 10:09 AM
You blaming the staff for an injury in camp?

Not for the injury. Of course not. Even with no injuries we were in a terrible spot. Now its even worse.

Add Rivers, Cole, Abram, Richardson, Eliss, and Guidry back into the equation and that's still only around 76-77 guys. 8 or 9 under the 85 limit. Piss poor roster management. Its not just numbers either, its also the distribution. We have a total of 2 QB's with one being a true freshmen, and like 17 tight ends. Plus no depth at WR, OL, and now safety as well.

confucius say
08-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Last I heard he was in the same boat as Cole. But I don't know that has been confirmed as final.

When is that supposed to come out? Getting a little late.

preachermatt83
08-22-2017, 10:37 AM
If abram is going to miss more than 3 games I'd redshirt him.

preachermatt83
08-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Landon was likely going to be redshirted anyway. Hopefully he will come back stronger than ever.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2017, 10:45 AM
If abram is going to miss more than 3 games I'd redshirt him.

I don't agree with that.

If misses the entire run of LSU, Auburn, UGA, I'd redshirt him.

Irondawg
08-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Well ouch - hate if for Landry as word was among the group of freshmen that was impressing the veterans.

tcdog70
08-22-2017, 11:17 AM
Every team suffers through roster problems. Injuries will occur . Please, stop with the Woe is Po Ole MSU.

thf24
08-22-2017, 11:37 AM

Unless I missed something, the latest solid info was that he MIGHT be in the same boat as Cole, but the staff was optimistic he would be able to play. Supposed to know for sure sometime this week.

HSVDawg
08-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Every team suffers through roster problems. Injuries will occur . Please, stop with the Woe is Po Ole MSU.

You can't objectively say that having only 71 players available after just a small handful of injuries is a normal scenario. That is only 6 over the max limit for an FCS roster. I think our coaches appear to be correcting the imbalance through this current signing class. But saying our situation is normal just ain't true. The injuries aren't the problem. In fact, it is the sheer inevitability of injuries occurring that necessitates having a full roster to the greatest extent possible. Our coaches failed at that 2nd part.

QuadrupleOption
08-22-2017, 12:58 PM

If you've been reading this board or the pack for more than a month you should know that it's a requirement for folks to melt down about SOMETHING every year. Bonus points are awarded when the meltdown happens before the first game is even played. Extra points are also awarded when blaming Mullen or Hevesy.

Commercecomet24
08-22-2017, 01:02 PM
If you've been reading this board or the pack for more than a month you should know that it's a requirement for folks to melt down about SOMETHING every year. Bonus points are awarded when the meltdown happens before the first game is even played. Extra points are also awarded when blaming Mullen or Hevesy.

Post of the year candidate!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to QuadrupleOption again.

Reason2succeed
08-22-2017, 01:11 PM
You can't objectively say that having only 71 players available after just a small handful of injuries is a normal scenario. That is only 6 over the max limit for an FCS roster. I think our coaches appear to be correcting the imbalance through this current signing class. But saying our situation is normal just ain't true. The injuries aren't the problem. In fact, it is the sheer inevitability of injuries occurring that necessitates having a full roster to the greatest extent possible. Our coaches failed at that 2nd part.

Maybe they were waiting until we could actually recruit worth a flip before going with full classes.***

No use of having a roster full of players that we will later need to "process" ( I hate that term. Call it what it is: kicking a guy off the team and usually out of your school).

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2017, 01:14 PM

How many NFL teams have rosters below the max 53? I did the research for you, it is zero. No team can afford to be at a roster disadvantage but we seem to stay that way. A lot of people overreact but this isn't an opinion that sending Holloway up the middle might be a good play. We are playing with less players than Bama, LSU, Auburn, and the rest of the SEC. You might see one of those teams give a walk on a scholarship every once in a while but we consistently have below a full roster.

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Maybe they were waiting until we could actually recruit worth a flip before going with full classes.***

No use of having a roster full of players that we will later need to "process" ( I hate that term. Call it what it is: kicking a guy off the team and usually out of your school).

Ron Polk meet John Cohen. Baseball has been doing it forever but now a lot of football teams do it as well. Just look at Bama and Michigan for examples.

Bothrops
08-22-2017, 01:34 PM
My melts are rarely meaningless. I had Abrams as an immediate impact player this year. Like HUGE help in the secondary. That sucks big time! If he has to miss LSU and Georgia, I'd definitely redshirt him, if for no other reason to give him the necessary time to heal properly.

I absolutely hate knee injuries. It seems that very few ever come back 100%, and those that do are prone to re-injury.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2017, 01:46 PM
How many NFL teams have rosters below the max 53? I did the research for you, it is zero. No team can afford to be at a roster disadvantage but we seem to stay that way. A lot of people overreact but this isn't an opinion that sending Holloway up the middle might be a good play. We are playing with less players than Bama, LSU, Auburn, and the rest of the SEC. You might see one of those teams give a walk on a scholarship every once in a while but we consistently have below a full roster.

Not to get in the middle of you guys back & forth but Auburn just gave 6 scholarships to walkons last week because they were that far under the 85.

Turfdawg67
08-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Congrats HSV...

https://s30.postimg.org/dqot4t069/IMG_2458.jpg

Dawgtini
08-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Spot on...rep given!

HSVDawg
08-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Not to get in the middle of you guys back & forth but Auburn just gave 6 scholarships to walkons last week because they were that far under the 85.

First, 79 > 73, which is where we were before the two latest injuries. Not a valid comparison.

Second, if this was a one year phenomenon, it wouldn't be a big deal at all. This is the 3rd year in a row where we have not even come close to fielding a full roster, and the problem has gotten worse every year. 80 in 2015, 77 in 2016 (before Staley transferred), and now 73 this year. It's a really bad trend, BUT, again, it looks like corrective actions have been taken based on our current class size. So that is encouraging. Still might have to bite the bullet this season though if there are more injuries.

sandwolf
08-22-2017, 04:29 PM
I absolutely hate knee injuries. It seems that very few ever come back 100%, and those that do are prone to re-injury.

If it really is just torn meniscus, then it is typically a minor surgery with a quick recovery.

Spiderman
08-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Robbie on 24/7 is claiming Abram will miss some games due to a meniscus injury SMMFH

Dammit, that one hurts

Todd4State
08-22-2017, 06:59 PM
I have confidence in Brandon Bryant and Mark McLaurin. Let's not forget that JT Gray is going to play some safety as well. Losing Abrams will hurt- but it's hardly a season destroying injury.

tcdog70
08-23-2017, 11:41 AM

yep, I read them. It is like some MSU fans just can't wait for something semi-bad to happen to freak out. It is 17ing football all teams have injuries and Yes, some newcomers don't make it in. Do people think this only happens at State. Chill out, we are going to win 9 games. State has more crybaby fans that any team in the SEC.