PDA

View Full Version : Stratton another Quality Start for Giants

Dawg61
08-21-2017, 11:04 PM
6 ip 0 earned runs. That makes back to back starts no runs. Giants probably just penciled him into their rotation for 2018.

msstate7
08-21-2017, 11:17 PM
I wanna believe, but it's hard for me to see he's gone from AAA numbers to great MLB starter.

'17 AAA...
79.1 ip 94 h 45 er 22 bb 71 k
Era = 5.11
Whip = 1.46
BAA = .290

Hopefully he surprises me

Dawg61
08-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Giants don't care about his AAA stats. He's been their 2nd best pitcher lately and Matt Cain, who got moved outta the rotation, has been much better outta the bullpen. Stratton is adding a glimmer of hope for Giants after a disaster season.

missouridawg
08-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Giants don't care about his AAA stats. He's been their 2nd best pitcher lately and Matt Cain, who got moved outta the rotation, has been much better outta the bullpen. Stratton is adding a glimmer of hope for Giants after a disaster season.

Lately? You call 12 innings "lately". I'm rooting for Chris but 12 IP does not make a rotation for next year.

Homedawg
08-22-2017, 08:15 AM
I wanna believe, but it's hard for me to see he's gone from AAA numbers to great MLB starter.

'17 AAA...
Era = 5.11
Whip = 1.46
BAA = .290

Never base ones major league potential on how well they pitch in the pcl. It's a hitters paradise. Stats are inflated for hitters and vice versa. I'm certainly not calling him the next Koufax but still.

Dawg61
08-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Lately? You call 12 innings "lately". I'm rooting for Chris but 12 IP does not make a rotation for next year.

You haven't been paying attention to how awful the Giants season has been. They won't sign Cueto this offseason either. Stratton is pretty much a lock for the rotation next year.

Commercecomet24
08-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Never base ones major league potential on how well they pitch in the pcl. It's a hitters paradise. Stats are inflated for hitters and vice versa. I'm certainly not calling him the next Koufax but still.

This. I lived in Phoenix for 7 years back in the 70's when the Giants AAA farm club was there and in that hot, thin air the ball traveled extremely well, just like the other PCL parks.

missouridawg
08-22-2017, 01:29 PM
You haven't been paying attention to how awful the Giants season has been. They won't sign Cueto this offseason either. Stratton is pretty much a lock for the rotation next year.

You completely missed my point. The SFGs will choose their rotation on much more than just 12 IP but Stratton. Those 2 starts help, for sure, but the Giants will be looking at many different things than just those 12 IP.

Dawg61
08-22-2017, 01:51 PM
You completely missed my point. The SFGs will choose their rotation on much more than just 12 IP but Stratton. Those 2 starts help, for sure, but the Giants will be looking at many different things than just those 12 IP.

Of course they will and I was making slight of their shitty season some. You don't always need asterisks to pick out jokes.

Dawg61
08-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Stratton looking nasty today, 9 k's thru 5, 1 run. His curveball is filthy!

msstate7
08-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Stratton looking nasty today, 9 k's thru 5, 1 run. His curveball is filthy!

Outstanding. Really nice to see him striking guys out again

Dawg61
08-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Outstanding. Really nice to see him striking guys out again

Boche comes out to the mound with 2 outs in 6th (104 pitches) like he's about to pull Strat but then gives him a pep talk and lets him get the quality start. 6 ip 2 er 10 ks. 3 quality starts in a row! I have never seen Boche do that ever. When he comes out 99.99% of the time he is pulling the pitcher.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Stratton has nasty stuff. He just need the reps and he's gonna be fine.

shoeless joe
08-27-2017, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen him pitch an inning this year but I recall while he was at state he always had great stuff but it seemed every mistake he made was up and got hit a mile. Then Suddenly everything clicked and he was lights out. I've always kinda assumed that's what was occurring with him in pro ball.

Homedawg
08-27-2017, 07:14 PM

'17 AAA...
Era = 5.11
Whip = 1.46
BAA = .290

I repeat, do NOT look at pcl numbers to identity major league success. High altitude is a killer for pitchers that rely on any sort of breaking ball. I.e. Stratton

msstate7
08-27-2017, 07:26 PM
I repeat, do NOT look at pcl numbers to identity major league success. High altitude is a killer for pitchers that rely on any sort of breaking ball. I.e. Stratton

Even in AA, he threw 73.0 ip and K'd 58. He's certainly pitching well now, but I find it hard to believe he can sustain his K rate as a starter.

Thrill1
08-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Another 10 K's in just 6 IP and only gave up 2. Sorry Giants got shut out, so no shame in his performance. Again, very promising outing for Chris. Meanwhile, its adios time for Matt Cain.

Homedawg
08-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Even in AA, he threw 73.0 ip and K'd 58. He's certainly pitching well now, but I find it hard to believe he can sustain his K rate as a starter.

And he was in AA when?? He won't sustain that i Tate. He just needs to be an inning eater and out getter.

msstate7
08-27-2017, 09:48 PM
And he was in AA when?? He won't sustain that i Tate. He just needs to be an inning eater and out getter.

'15

If k rate does go down, bb rate better too. 20 walks in 37.1 ip (4.8 bb/9).

Dawg61
08-27-2017, 11:30 PM
I haven't seen him pitch an inning this year but I recall while he was at state he always had great stuff but it seemed every mistake he made was up and got hit a mile. Then Suddenly everything clicked and he was lights out. I've always kinda assumed that's what was occurring with him in pro ball.

It's his breaking ball. It has become really nasty with a ton of break and it's making his fastball much more effective because they can not hit the curve at all. That's why his walks are high.

BB30
08-28-2017, 08:47 AM
It's his breaking ball. It has become really nasty with a ton of break and it's making his fastball much more effective because they can not hit the curve at all. That's why his walks are high.

Will be interesting to see how he does after teams have seen him and there is more film out on him. Guy's breaking ball is legit.. Haven't gotten a chance to see him yet, how is his 3rd pitch looking? Hitters will eventually start spitting on the BB he has to have a solid 3rd pitch for longevity as a starter.

Dawg61
08-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Will be interesting to see how he does after teams have seen him and there is more film out on him. Guy's breaking ball is legit.. Haven't gotten a chance to see him yet, how is his 3rd pitch looking? Hitters will eventually start spitting on the BB he has to have a solid 3rd pitch for longevity as a starter.

His change and fastball are average plus but his curve is elite so it is making all his pitches more effective. He has nice trailing action on his 2 seem.

shoeless joe
08-28-2017, 10:32 AM

If curve is truly elite his other pitches can be average and he could do fine...plenty guys have made a livin on one extremely good pitch: Rivera, glavine, zito, blyleven, Franco, Hoffman, brown, just to name a few off the top of my head.