PDA

View Full Version : Smoking a pork belly

BeastMan
08-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Today I'm going to smoke a center cut pork belly for the first time. I'm going to run with the same thing I use on ribs. I'll finish it off by slicing and searing on a flat top. Right now I'm thinking tacos... Anybody else have any experience?

Dallas_Dawg
08-21-2017, 07:58 PM
Today I'm going to smoke a center cut pork belly for the first time. I'm going to run with the same thing I use on ribs. I'll finish it off by slicing and searing on a flat top. Right now I'm thinking tacos... Anybody else have any experience?
That sounds good. Never tried one before but have eaten it, and it's like a cross between premium bacon and ham, IMO. Where do you get one? What's the cost and what do they weigh?

BeastMan
08-21-2017, 10:06 PM
That sounds good. Never tried one before but have eaten it, and it's like a cross between premium bacon and ham, IMO. Where do you get one? What's the cost and what do they weigh?

$10 at Sam's. It's a nice slab roughly 3-4 lbs

SpeckleDawg
08-22-2017, 08:42 AM
Never tried to cook it myself, but sure enjoy eating it.

Prediction? Pain.
08-22-2017, 10:44 AM
I've never done it before, either. A friend of mine has a couple of times and has had mixed but generally positive results.

Did you cure it beforehand? If so, for how long and with what?

BeastMan
08-22-2017, 01:24 PM
I've never done it before, either. A friend of mine has a couple of times and has had mixed but generally positive results.

Did you cure it beforehand? If so, for how long and with what?

Did not cure. Just rubbed. It was good but if I do it again I'm smoking it at 6 hours as to render more fat.

I made tacos
https://s26.postimg.org/eig7kx7e1/IMG_5093.jpg

Howboutdemdogs
08-22-2017, 06:05 PM
What I do for all pork that is smoked is brined for 24 hours. This breaks down the fat fissures. 1/3 cup per gallon of water. (Make sure it is washed good after brining). Afterwards, I will put the rub on it for another 24 before smoking. I will smoke all pork at 225-230 deg F.

Ribs - 4 hours smoke
1 hour wrapped with tin foil and grilled
30 mins. grilled with a mop

All other pork = 6-12 hours smoke, depends on cut and poundage.

Beer and water pan on the bottom is used on every smoke job.

The brine trick was given to me by the corporate chief for Bryan Foods. It will make pork tender along with the slow smoke temperature.

I will pick a game that I will smoke at the tailgate. I'll announce and share a taste.

parabrave
08-28-2017, 11:07 PM
I don't know But what do you think Valentine?

BeastMan
08-29-2017, 09:24 AM
My top guy in the kitchen did this with the same smoked pork belly I cooked. I told him, you win

https://s26.postimg.org/8f1fwsn8p/IMG_5117.jpg