PDA

View Full Version : OT: Eclipse viewing plans

RocketDawg
08-20-2017, 05:22 PM
What's everybody doing for the ecipse tomorrow? We'd thought about driving up to near Nashville, maybe Cool Springs, but I've heard that there will be many, many visitors to totality areas so I suspect the traffic will be miserable. And I've also heard they're not allowing stopping on the side of the freeway just to view (but I'll bet it'll be lined with folks anyway). So ... gonna stay home, grab a lawn chair, and enjoy it in the front yard. We'll be almost 98% here anyway.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-20-2017, 05:27 PM
It's Monday. So I will be at work doing what I do. I'm ready for the stupid eclipse to be over.

starkvegasdawg
08-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Taking a half day and watching it at the house. We're about 90% here. Getting ready to do a last minute search for glasses.

RocketDawg
08-20-2017, 05:35 PM
It's Monday. So I will be at work doing what I do. I'm ready for the stupid eclipse to be over.

If it's something that you're not interested in, then it won't affect you at all. Except ... the end of the world that it's causing next month. **

RocketDawg
08-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Taking a half day and watching it at the house. We're about 90% here. Getting ready to do a last minute search for glasses.

Glasses here were available all over town for the past few months, but most places were out by early last week. Some got in late orders, and sold out quickly. Going price was $2. Not bad for something that probably cost about 10 cents to produce. ;) After everyody else basically ran out, one locally-owned grocery store said they had 20,000 at $8 each. And they sold out ... people were lined up for blocks. So they somehow got another 10,000 for the same price. Price gouging, which I don't like, but I suppose you can say it's just supply and demand for an item that's really not necessary to sustain life (such as generators after tornadoes).

msbulldog
08-20-2017, 05:45 PM
I'll be naked and dancing with the wolves. Hail State!

Lord McBuckethead
08-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Heading up to the area of totality early tomorrow morning. Taking the little one with me. Road trip.

CadaverDawg
08-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Anybody know where I can get some eclipse glasses last minute?

Jacksondevildog
08-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Hearing Funkys is having a viewing party.

SailingDawg
08-20-2017, 06:30 PM
I'm a high school teacher that tried to get something going at our school. Super decided we aren't to take anyone outside unless the plan was submitted and approved beforehand. They told us this two days ago, hah!

Many schools in the path of totality are closed.

Great teaching moment and we're living in fear.

Mjoelner34
08-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Already in North Georgia. Probably going to watch at Dillard.

starkvegasdawg
08-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Anybody know where I can get some eclipse glasses last minute?

Lowes here in Starkville sold out. Afraid if you don't have any you're SOL like me.

CadaverDawg
08-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Lowes here in Starkville sold out. Afraid if you don't have any you're SOL like me.

Bummer

If anybody knows anybody with an extra pair, DM me or let me know! Thanks

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2017, 07:00 PM
We will be about 94% here in Brunswick. Going to watch from the roof of City Hall with the rest of our staff. Should be great place to watch - basically the highest point in the city.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-20-2017, 07:03 PM
If it's something that you're not interested in, then it won't affect you at all. Except ... the end of the world that it's causing next month. **

If the world ends before the NCAA gives out justice to Ole Miss, I'm going to be pissed.

starkvegasdawg
08-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Another option to glasses:

https://www.google.com/amp/myfox8.com/2017/08/20/no-glasses-no-problem-other-viewing-options-for-the-solar-eclipse/amp/

TheRef
08-20-2017, 07:20 PM
I'll be working at the State EOC all day. And to the word that they won't allow people to stop on the interstate, completely true. From a pure safety aspect, its stupid to stop on the side of the road for this because of the dangers associated with nighttime driving. TN drivers are crazy enough as is, don't need added insanity of people parking on the side of the interstate.

StoneDawg
08-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Walking outside

Leeshouldveflanked
08-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Walking outside
^^^^^ This^^^^

MedDawg
08-20-2017, 08:53 PM
What's everybody doing for the ecipse tomorrow? We'd thought about driving up to near Nashville, maybe Cool Springs, but I've heard that there will be many, many visitors to totality areas so I suspect the traffic will be miserable. And I've also heard they're not allowing stopping on the side of the freeway just to view (but I'll bet it'll be lined with folks anyway). So ... gonna stay home, grab a lawn chair, and enjoy it in the front yard. We'll be almost 98% here anyway.

Renting a pontoon boat at Pickwick Lake. 95% solar coverage. Would have had 89% coverage at home.

GreenheadDawg
08-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Um... I'll be at work. Someone enlighten me, what's the big deal that people are taking off of work and traveling for this shit?

DawgRockur
08-20-2017, 09:10 PM
What's the deal with the glasses? Can you not see it without them?

Bdawg
08-20-2017, 09:12 PM
I will be on my combine trying to get my crop out! If I have too, during the eclipse, I guess I will turn my lights on and keep on cutting!!! :)

GreenheadDawg
08-20-2017, 09:13 PM
What's the deal with the glasses? Can you not see it without them?

Apparently you turn into Cyclops if you do.

Corn Bread
08-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Apparently you turn into Cyclops if you do.

Taking the day off. Putting the boat in the water around 10am. Gonna fish the eclipse and see what happens.

Spiderman
08-20-2017, 09:55 PM

nothing. I'm like Saban, saw on TV what it will look like. not that impressive

MagicDawg
08-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Drove up from Atlanta (97%) to Sylva, NC (100%). The difference between 99% and 100% is bigger than the difference between 50% and 90%. That's why people make the drive. The corona is a rare sight.

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2017, 06:42 AM
If you miss this one, the next is 2024 and Starkville will be in totality in 2044. Although given my knowledge of this board, most of you guys may not make it to the 2044 one. Best to drive and see 2024.

Dawgface
08-21-2017, 07:15 AM
nothing. I'm like Saban, saw on TV what it will look like. not that impressive

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. It will be neat to look out my window and see it get darker at mid-day, but looking directly at the sun is not something I will be doing. Will catch a glimpse on tv and then go back to napping.

Outside Dawg
08-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Taking the day off. Putting the boat in the water around 10am. Gonna fish the eclipse and see what happens.

This seems like the most sensible answer Ive seen. Don't waste a good opportunity.

FISHDAWG
08-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Already in North Georgia. Probably going to watch at Dillard.

you need to eat at the Dillard House ... trust me on this

FISHDAWG
08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I don't see the big deal. It will be neat to look out my window and see it get darker at mid-day, but looking directly at the sun is not something I will be doing. Will catch a glimpse on tv and then go back to napping.

it's not just the circle of the sun ... take note of the shadows ... like tree leaves for example - the light is bent around and makes for a pretty cool thing

DownwardDawg
08-21-2017, 09:32 AM
I'll be working so others can go out and protest the eclipse or whatever offends them today.