PDA

View Full Version : Someone needs to be fired

Reason2succeed
08-19-2017, 07:18 AM
How do two players get to State in January only to find out they are not eligible to play in August? Even if they were missing something from HS or JuCo it would seem there was plenty of time for them to make it up. That could seriously affect the entire team so someone should be held responsible.

Yes, I know the NCAA clearinghouse is slow and inefficient but that isn't a surprise to anyone either. MSU has to be accountable for what they can control and get ahead of situations like this. I feel sorry for Brian Cole and the other player.

gravedigger
08-19-2017, 07:33 AM
How do two players get to State in January only to find out they are not eligible to play in August? Even if they were missing something from HS or JuCo it would seem there was plenty of time for them to make it up. That could seriously affect the entire team so someone should be held responsible.

Yes, I know the NCAA clearinghouse is slow and inefficient but that isn't a surprise to anyone either. MSU has to be accountable for what they can control and get ahead of situations like this. I feel sorry for Brian Cole and the other player.

You feel sorry for Cole and someone needs to be fired?

Isn't Cole supposed to be doing the work?

msbulldog
08-19-2017, 07:42 AM
It has to do with a fairly new (2 years) regulation that dictates how many hours you can get in a certain amount of time. Cole got too many hours in too short a period of time. It happened at EMCC, did not prohibit him from enrolling, but he will have to take academic redshirt. Same thing happened to Deion Pope, but he didn't have a year left to redshirt.

ElitedawgRecruiting
08-19-2017, 07:49 AM
No she don't need to be fired. She left and is doing independent work now. And has a whole bunch of pencils. And would you rather them not go through all the practices and classes at MSU so you don't know if you have them? The incompetence of our compliance office is greatly exaggerated because it's the cool thing to do on a message board

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Please explain the new policy about classes.

Shake 'n Bake
08-19-2017, 07:57 AM
From what I've read, there's zero this had to do with anybody on our side. This is an issue with the jucos and the students. We'd have taken rivers and cole regardless anyway.

Dawg61
08-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Rivers and Cole are both worth it.

WinningIsRelentless
08-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Signing obvious grade risks is kinda like signing your own son when you know your ex-wife is never going to allow him to come to MSU or taking commitments from 8th graders in NC. Unless they are Warren Sapp don't sign players that can't qualify outta high school and then outta EMCC. How many warning signs do ya need? Are these two players locks for All-SEC? If they are not it's questionable to sign them. Sign the other guy at EMCC that isn't a grade risk. Kinda stupid to sign jucos for immediate help when they can't help you immediately.

Neither was grade risk coming out. So stfu if you don't know what you are talking about.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-19-2017, 08:30 AM
We haven't heard for sure if Rivers isn't playing, have we?

Dawg61
08-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Neither was grade risk coming out. So stfu if you don't know what you are talking about.

Really cause sure looks like they aren't qualified to me. If they weren't a grade risk they'd be qualified.

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Westdawg
08-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Dude, chill. He took more hours than what the Clearinghouse said he should have within 3 semesters of classes. At least, that's what I am inferring.

msbulldog
08-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Signing obvious grade risks is kinda like signing your own son when you know your ex-wife is never going to allow him to come to MSU or taking commitments from 8th graders in NC. Unless they are Warren Sapp don't sign players that can't qualify outta high school and then outta EMCC. How many warning signs do ya need? Are these two players locks for All-SEC? If they are not it's questionable to sign them. Sign the other guy at EMCC that isn't a grade risk. Kinda stupid to sign jucos for immediate help when they can't help you immediately.
61 my friend, Brian Cole was a top rated HS player 4-star, 148 of Scout 300 in 2014, who qualified out of high school. He signed with Michigan and played, for some reason he was dismissed and went to EMCC. At EMCC, he took on-line courses in addition to his normal load to get to the point he could sign with MSU in January. The NCAA has a new rule that does not allow a SA to get too many hours in too short a period of time. He is well worth redshirting and having him to play for us another day, just as much worth as redshirting Fitz.

Dawg61
08-19-2017, 08:47 AM
61 my friend, Brian Cole was a top rated HS player 4-star, 148 of Scout 300 in 2014, who qualified out of high school. He signed with Michigan and played, for some reason he was dismissed and went to EMCC. At EMCC, he took on-line courses in addition to his normal load to get to the point he could sign with MSU in January. The NCAA has a new rule that does not allow a SA to get too many hours in too short a period of time. He is well worth redshirting and having him to play for us another day, just as much worth as redshirting Fitz.

Alright thank you. I stand corrected and will edit my post.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Yep ... this is all on Last Chance U and the pencil lady.

msbulldog
08-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Mimi, I cannot give you rule, paragraph and line of the NCAA reg., if you want that use google.

But what it boils down to is they (NCAA) will not allow excessive amount of hours in a semester. It's like summer school at MSU you could get 6 hrs/semester (at least when I went to summer school), but you can take on-line courses and get a bunch more hours. Well how much are you going to learn when you get 18 hours in 1 month?

WinningIsRelentless
08-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Brian Cole is worth it.

Rivers played at UGA and got into trouble for smoking weed. He had a 3.8 GPA at that time at UGA.

Dawg61
08-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Rivers played at UGA and got into trouble for smoking weed. He had a 3.8 GPA at that time at UGA.

Edited twice for ya bud

fieldcorporal
08-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Alright thank you. I stand corrected and will edit my post.

Maybe we should call it "the Dontae rule"...

msstate7
08-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Do the classes still count toward graduation? I'm sure they do. It's weird the classes are good for a degree, but not to play football

thf24
08-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Wait, has it already been determined Rivers can't play? I thought we wouldn't know until next week.

msstate7
08-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Wait, has it already been determined Rivers can't play? I thought we wouldn't know until next week.

We're state fans... you know we aren't getting any good news (1/2*)

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Mimi, I cannot give you rule, paragraph and line of the NCAA reg., if you want that use google.

But what it boils down to is they (NCAA) will not allow excessive amount of hours in a semester. It's like summer school at MSU you could get 6 hrs/semester (at least when I went to summer school), but you can take on-line courses and get a bunch more hours. Well how much are you going to learn when you get 18 hours in 1 month?

In high school students are allowed to DUAL-ENROLL in (to be registered in high school and college, most here being EMCC). The college classes being dual-enrolled OR the AP classes will get you more hours going into college than the NCAA may allow... So has anyone even LOOKED at the fact that someone of the classes that the SA took could have been "dual enrolled in" from HIGH SCHOOL.... Those classes would/should show up as a college class????? We have high school students, graduating from High School, that are going to college as SOPHOMORES because they have used the dual-enrollment and/or AP classes to get a jump-start.

If the kid has a previous GPA that is good then what is the issue. BUT if the childs GPA is in the gutter then there is an issue

maroonmania
08-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Sounds like this is an issue where the JUCO folks didn't understand the new eligibility rules. If Pope had the same issue then its not just EMCC because Pope went to Co-Lin.

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Do the classes still count toward graduation? I'm sure they do. It's weird the classes are good for a degree, but not to play football

To graduate from High School in MS.... every student has to have a foreign language and pass. The NCAA requirements to play football do not have the foreign language requirement in it.

Reason2succeed
08-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Rivers and Cole got here in January and stayed for both summer terms if I understand correctly. How long does it take to make up the credit and get them eligible? Is it just a forced redshirt year period.

If this was known did we account for it in our scholarships? Some of you love to complain when we don't have 85 on the roster. Well here you go.

Obviously the coaches did not know this was going to happen because from all the posts Rivers was playing a pretty big role (1b if you will) on defense. If they did know these players would redshirt they should have acknowledged it or leaked it instead of letting me get all wooly for no reason.

bulldawg28
08-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Rivers and Cole are both worth it.

This all day. You'd rather we have them than someone else.

WinningIsRelentless
08-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Rivers and Cole got here in January and stayed for both summer terms if I understand correctly. How long does it take to make up the credit and get them eligible? Is it just a forced redshirt year period.

If this was known did we account for it in our scholarships? Some of you love to complain when we don't have 85 on the roster. Well here you go.

Obviously the coaches did not know this was going to happen because from all the posts Rivers was playing a pretty big role (1b if you will) on defense. If they did know these players would redshirt they should have acknowledged it or leaked it instead of letting me get all wooly for no reason.

Its not a matter of needing more credits, they took to many credits during a semester at East MS.

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2017, 01:00 PM
So, in other words... we have TWO smart students that had a GOAL in front of them -- they set out to meet that GOAL only to be shot down by a new NCAA rule. EMCC has many classes that are taught by MSU professors... Some of the online classes are even taught by Bama professors.... Not sure I agree with this 'rule'... Maybe EMCC needs some education on students entering into a senior college as an athlete.....

Joe Schmedlap
08-19-2017, 02:26 PM
I've watched season 1 of Last Chance U, and many of those dudes on the football team were apparently speaking a foreign language. It darned sure wasn't English.

To graduate from High School in MS.... every student has to have a foreign language and pass. The NCAA requirements to play football do not have the foreign language requirement in it.

Mimi's Babies
08-19-2017, 02:34 PM
I've watched season 1 of Last Chance U, and many of those dudes on the football team were apparently speaking a foreign language. It darned sure wasn't English.

Most speak a foreign language and one sure cannot understand it much less read their English papers--

Bully13
08-19-2017, 04:09 PM
This does suck but our recruiting has picked up and is going to get better since ole miss is getting ready to spend 15 years naked in a prison shower. So I'm not gonna let this setback dull me out.

NolaDawgPound
08-19-2017, 04:22 PM

I think they mean getting too many academic hours credit in one semester or offering period. Such as a JUCO allowing a player to enroll in 21+ hours a semester to get credit to be come eligible. NCAA started cracking down on JUCO's playing this game to get kids eligible. I believe this is what they are talking about.

I took 21 hours one semester to graduate on time, due to only offering certain classes one semester a year and it almost killed me. I wasn't playing any sports so I couldn't imagine having less time for the classed than I did. Now, given they were far more difficult than "Shoe Tying" and "Basket-weaving" but 21+ would be difficult with all that practice time.