PDA

View Full Version : Few Last Scrimage Notes

Ari Gold
08-17-2017, 08:50 PM
I think this was a dress rehearsal for depth chart.

As I said in an early thread. Hill won't redshirt. Started with the 2's tonight. And had a 60 yard TD ready against the 2's on D later in scrimmage
Gibson also with a pretty long TD run.
Fitz looked very good as usually. KT again doesn't look like a frosh. He can spin in tight windows for sure.
In the best move I think in years, Jordan Thomas playing some WR and will play all over the field . Had a handful of catches on for a TD as did Jesse Jackson ( was with the 2's) a lot
We are going to be better at WR than most think. Esp with Fitz being a better passer.
Didn't see a lot of Gray, and Aries ( no need)
Myles was main guy at punt return
OL I guess was ok. Only one false start I think and one holding I think
Can't really tell how they do because Hev is to busy Mother ****ing every breath.
Jenkins held out but if it was game day would have played no issue .
Reese will be fine at RT and will be very good before he leaves.
Depth at Oline is the key just like it is everywhere else in CFB .

Def.
night and day from last year. Staff is one huge reason
Lots of Sunday guys on D
Sweat had at least 3-4 sacks . He is playin on Sunday prob sooner than later
Abrams didn't go but could have if game day
JT finally in his natural position
Cole would play a lot if not for redshirt . Will be a good one
Front 7 is nasty . And very aggressive . And deep
And for you Umiss lurkers .. I haven't seen your D but if have heard things and y'all have ONE guy that would start for us . Haynes and that is if he can beat out Gerri Green. Which would be a battle . And yes Leo is out there with the 1's So though ****ing shit. Fins up

TrapGame
08-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Oh yeah baby!!!

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/51f03c3169beddb271000013-1190-625/what-a-sheep-that-hasnt-been-sheared-in-6-years-looks-like.jpg

Reason2succeed
08-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Esp happy to hear about Jordan Thomas and the TE/WR. That was my biggest worry.

I'm getting really excited. I'm glad we started earlier than everyone else. It gives us long to gel and mentally absorb the playbook. The progression of difficulty in the schedule should help too.

Dolphus Raymond
08-17-2017, 09:06 PM
I'm pumped.

BeardoMSU
08-17-2017, 09:09 PM
https://j.gifs.com/pgPRz6.gif

Commercecomet24
08-17-2017, 09:11 PM
It has been my thought for awhile with the stockpiling of TEs that Dan is going for a Patriots type look. Now with Jordan Thomas moving around like that it kinda confirms that. Jordan Thomas our Gronk. I like it a lot! (Not saying we will be proficient as the Pats but I like it a lot)

BeardoMSU
08-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Really good stuff, Ari. Thanks, man!

Perpetual Underachiever
Oh yeah baby!!!

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/51f03c3169beddb271000013-1190-625/what-a-sheep-that-hasnt-been-sheared-in-6-years-looks-like.jpg

Imma need the link to the sports book that has our Win total O/U @ 5.5

Todd4State
Excellent report! I like the news about Hill and Thomas especially. If Dan uses our TE's to compensate for our lack of length at WR, I'll be very happy. I'm good with Myles at PR as well.

Todd4State
08-17-2017, 09:16 PM
How did the kickers look?

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Ari, are we waiting on an issue with another player similar to Cole and grades? Someone told me there may be one more having to redshirt.

Also heard Thomas may be lined up in backfield some. As in RB. I think we're fine there without him, but that would def be a load coming toward the line.

AFDawg
08-17-2017, 09:27 PM
Also heard Thomas may be lined up in backfield some. As in RB. I think we're fine there without him, but that would def be a load coming toward the line.

Earlier today I said--completely satirically and out of my ass--that he would line up in the wildcat.

HoopsDawg
08-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Is Jesse Jackson still working in the slot?

Reason2succeed
08-17-2017, 09:38 PM
I thought they were doing three scrimmages. This is only the second one right?

Dallas_Dawg
08-17-2017, 09:41 PM
If that's all true stories then we are going to be ready

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Earlier today I said--completely satirically and out of my ass--that he would line up in the wildcat.

Ha! I wonder if that's where this came from....this guy has someone close to the team, so he is usually pretty accurate. Same who told me about another player maybe having to redshirt like Cole due to juco grades not qualifying or transferring or whatever you call it.

CadaverDawg
08-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Thanks, Ari. Great stuff

Quick question though....you raved about the D and their depth, yet mentioned Hill & Gibson having long TD runs vs 2nd team D, and didn't really have much praise for the OL. So was the long TD runs due to good blocking or poor D? Also, I'm pumped to hear Fitz is throwing well...who do you see emerging from that WR group not named Gray?

Thanks again for the update

biggun
08-18-2017, 03:27 AM
I think this was a dress rehearsal for depth chart.

As I said in an early thread. Hill won't redshirt. Started with the 2's tonight. And had a 60 yard TD ready against the 2's on D later in scrimmage
Gibson also with a pretty long TD run.
Fitz looked very good as usually. KT again doesn't look like a frosh. He can spin in tight windows for sure.
In the best move I think in years, Jordan Thomas playing some WR and will play all over the field . Had a handful of catches on for a TD as did Jesse Jackson ( was with the 2's) a lot
We are going to be better at WR than most think. Esp with Fitz being a better passer.
Didn't see a lot of Gray, and Aries ( no need)
Myles was main guy at punt return
OL I guess was ok. Only one false start I think and one holding I think
Can't really tell how they do because Hev is to busy Mother ****ing every breath.
Jenkins held out but if it was game day would have played no issue .
Reese will be fine at RT and will be very good before he leaves.
Depth at Oline is the key just like it is everywhere else in CFB .

Def.
night and day from last year. Staff is one huge reason
Lots of Sunday guys on D
Sweat had at least 3-4 sacks . He is playin on Sunday prob sooner than later
Abrams didn't go but could have if game day
JT finally in his natural position
Cole would play a lot if not for redshirt . Will be a good one
Front 7 is nasty . And very aggressive . And deep
And for you Umiss lurkers .. I haven't seen your D but if have heard things and y'all have ONE guy that would start for us . Haynes and that is if he can beat out Gerri Green. Which would be a battle . And yes Leo is out there with the 1's So though ****ing shit. Fins up

Feeling extra wooly!! Got to love pre-season practice or fall camp - the 4-6 weeks before the season kicks off: undefeated, unbeatable, All American's virtually at every position, ready to go 12-0, confidence is sky high...................but then the actual season really begins. Damn

Ari Gold
08-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Feeling extra wooly!! Got to love pre-season practice or fall camp - the 4-6 weeks before the season kicks off: undefeated, unbeatable, All American's virtually at every position, ready to go 12-0, confidence is sky high...................but then the actual season really begins. Damn

You left off 3 wins ..
15-0
Damn.

Ari Gold
08-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Thanks, Ari. Great stuff

Quick question though....you raved about the D and their depth, yet mentioned Hill & Gibson having long TD runs vs 2nd team D, and didn't really have much praise for the OL. So was the long TD runs due to good blocking or poor D? Also, I'm pumped to hear Fitz is throwing well...who do you see emerging from that WR group not named Gray?

Thanks again for the update

We aren't going to pitch shutouts but the D is much improved.
I stay away from OL talk because of Hev. It's not worth the effort. But I think the starting 5 will be solid.
WR from little I have seen during camp and from what I have been told outside the Gray Myles and Mixon it would be Jesse Jackson . He is finally healthy

I seen it dawg
08-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Unlocked

MStateDawg
08-18-2017, 10:42 AM
I thought they were doing three scrimmages. This is only the second one right?

Yes, typically we have 3 but Mullen said after the first scrimmage that we would only have 1 more.
I took it to mean he was really satisfied with where we were after the first scrimmage.

Hypnodawg
08-18-2017, 10:59 AM
So Dear is officially out for the season?

chainedup_Dawg
08-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Yes, typically we have 3 but Mullen said after the first scrimmage that we would only have 1 more.
I took it to mean he was really satisfied with where we were after the first scrimmage.

That or he is so worried about depth that he doesn't want to risk it*....trying to not get too wooly

DudyDawg
08-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Imma need the link to the sports book that has our Win total O/U @ 5.5

Bovada. Took it this morning

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2017, 12:56 PM
A few photos from last night's scrimmage that I found interesting

Jordan Thomas appears a little leaner in the lower half & more athletic than he did last year
http://i.imgur.com/suwaYxp.jpg

Kylin looks phenomenal. Freshmen usually don't look like this. The power & strength in his legs has upside

http://i.imgur.com/1uYW2P8.jpg

BB30
08-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Kylin looks like a monster for a freshman. I am not sure we have had a freshman RB look that physical in a while. Happy to hear the D should be better. If the D can play we have a chance to win some of the tougher games on the schedule for sure.

mcain31
08-18-2017, 01:25 PM
I heard that Jordan Thomas's weight was down in the 260s this year

mstatefan91
08-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Kylin looks like a freakin monster. Wow

Johnson85
08-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I heard that Jordan Thomas's weight was down in the 260s this year

Why is our future starting OT shedding pounds??!?!?!!!!*

(only one sarcasterick because only half joking).

Commercecomet24
08-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Think about Jordan Thomas split out wide especially in red zone. Matchup nightmare. To fast for a lb and to big for a cb or s. Gronk 2.0

TrapGame
08-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Think about Jordan Thomas split out wide especially in red zone. Matchup nightmare. To fast for a lb and to big for a cb or s. Gronk 2.0

This.

Commercecomet24
08-18-2017, 02:28 PM
This.

You can also attach him or put him in the slot and run him up the seam. Another matchup problem. I like it!

Commercecomet24
08-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Here's a little play that would be hard to defend. Trips to either side, Thomas on the inside, Mixon in slot, Gray on outside. RPO off zone read to aeris, Thomas runs the seam, mixon runs bubble, gray runs a 9 or dig depending on coverage. That would be hell to defend. That gives you 5 options

archdog
08-18-2017, 02:43 PM
You can also attach him or put him in the slot and run him up the seam. Another matchup problem. I like it!

Hope we do this alot. I love using a receiving TE and TE Sets made to add a wrinkle to the coverages. Haven't seen too much of that on Saturdays of years of late.

anubus
08-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Can't wait to see the defense play.Last year watching arm tackles and whiffs was mind boggling.

TrapGame
08-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Can't wait to see the defense play.Last year watching arm tackles and whiffs was mind boggling.

Did you see the Hail State page video of the defensive drill with Grantham? It's a must see. He's working those guys in all kinds of drills and coaching his ass off!

Commercecomet24
08-18-2017, 03:23 PM

I think if that happens as much this year Grantham will be in jail for murder

AlSwearengen
08-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Ok. Someone give me the lowdown on Jordan thomas. Is he faster than the avg 260 lb tight end? Why is everyone so wooly about him?

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Ok. Someone give me the lowdown on Jordan thomas. Is he faster than the avg 260 lb tight end? Why is everyone so wooly about him?

Big body with really good hands.

Think about a low post player like Charles Barkley. At that size & with those hands, it's difficult to keep him from boxing you out & making a play

Commercecomet24
08-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Thomas is very athletic to be that big. I remener a pass that was under thrown in the end zone last year and he went over 2 defenders and took the ball away.

msbulldog
08-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Thomas is very athletic to be that big. I remener a pass that was under thrown in the end zone last year and he went over 2 defenders and took the ball away.

Was that UMass, I remember Thomas didn't go over the top of them, he just reached over the top and took that ball.