PDA

View Full Version : Reason #87 Dakota Prescott needs to be the starting QB

Coach34
09-19-2013, 10:18 AM
He threw for over 200 yards...we had over 400 yards of offense vs a BCS team this is going to be bowl eligible

Russell has accomplished 400 yards in a BCS game 3 times in 12 starts- Dakota is 1 for 1

Against shitty UPig 4-8
Against shitty Tennessee 5-7
Against shitty Kentucky 2-10 (on the road)

And he had Sr WR's...Dakota did it with inexperienced WR's ON THE ROAD

ckDOG
09-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Everything works better for us with a dual-threat QB...fact.

SignalToNoise
09-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I've seen a lot of people critical of Dak's passing/accuracy. Do they expect him to be Drew Brees or something? Sure, he can improve, but I'm guessing right now there is just a lot of growing to do between inexperienced WRs and Dak still being young.

HIGHDOG
09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
he passes as well as parker, rockey, bond, don smith, & madkin, imho...pretty good company, if true...tom

ckDOG
09-19-2013, 10:29 AM
I've seen a lot of people critical of Dak's passing/accuracy. Do they expect him to be Drew Brees or something? Sure, he can improve, but I'm guessing right now there is just a lot of growing to do between inexperienced WRs and Dak still being young.

I can live with lower completion rates as long as some of those misses are attempts down the field. Those misses still help stretch the defense a bit and give us some more space to do other things.

smootness
09-19-2013, 10:30 AM
He threw for over 200 yards...we had over 400 yards of offense vs a BCS team this is going to be bowl eligible

Russell has accomplished 400 yards in a BCS game 3 times in 12 starts- Dakota is 1 for 1

Against shitty UPig 4-8
Against shitty Tennessee 5-7
Against shitty Kentucky 2-10 (on the road)

And he had Sr WR's...Dakota did it with inexperienced WR's ON THE ROAD

I actually would rather we start Dak, but can't you just as easily say that Russell only put up 20 points or fewer in 4 games last year, including the bowl game?

So Russell is 10-5 including this year as the starting QB in putting up more than 20, and Dak is 0-1?

I'm just saying, you can pick and choose a lot of different stats. This one, to me, isn't the reason we should start Dak. It's just that it allows us to be far more creative.

dawgs
09-19-2013, 10:33 AM
the fact that we use 400 yds/game as the measuring stick shows how behind the times our offensive mindset has gotten. the averaged CFB team puts up over 400 yds/game these days. getting to 400 yds is not that good anymore.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2013, 10:42 AM
I still think Russell is a better passer but with our current situation with young recievers Dak with his legs gives us a better chance to win. Dak can keep them honest but not Russell because when Russell is in the game they have 50/50 chance of him either passing or handin off to the lone back. I just want to win and get to a bowl game. I guess he could play both and the one that is getting it done in that game gets majority of the snaps.

Coach34
09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
So Russell is 10-5 including this year as the starting QB in putting up more than 20, and Dak is 0-1?

Dak has put up 20 or more in both starts

Russell:

put up 3 vs Ok State
put 20 on NW with 4 interceptions including a pick-6 and another pick returned to our 4 yd line
put up 10 points vs OM (we ran a kickoff back and Dakota threw the last TD)
put up 45 on UPig
put up 10 on LSU- Dakota threw the 1st TD
put up 13 on A&M
put 0 on Bama (Dakota threw the TD)
put 41 on Tenn (Dakota threw a TD also)
put 27 on Kentucky (0-8 Kentucky)
put 28 on Auburn (0-8 Auburn)
put 17 on UPig in 2011
put 10 in SC in 2011

Those are his BCS games

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-19-2013, 10:44 AM
the fact that we use 400 yds/game as the measuring stick shows how behind the times our offensive mindset has gotten. the averaged CFB team puts up over 400 yds/game these days. getting to 400 yds is not that good anymore.

If you can bump it up to 420 yards/game you will most likely be top 50 in that category at the end of the season.

Percho
09-19-2013, 10:48 AM
IMHO there isn't 15 cents difference in our O when both are healthy. Is is all about attitude. Our problem whether coaches, players, or fans is we are working from the bottom up when we need to feel as if we are working from the top down.

Relax and play the game!

chainedup_Dawg
09-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Problem with using points is special teams and defense can score as well. Whereas the only one that can gain you yards on offense is your offense.

smootness
09-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Problem with using points is special teams and defense can score as well. Whereas the only one that can gain you yards on offense is your offense.

There are flaws in both. My point is simply that you can twist any stat if you want to.

dawgs
09-19-2013, 10:59 AM
If you can bump it up to 420 yards/game you will most likely be top 50 in that category at the end of the season.

420 ypg would put you 60th in the country right now. to be considered a "good" offense though, you need to be closer to 500 ypg.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-game

scrolling back through the last few years, you can see the number of teams averaging 500+ ypg growing each season since 2009-2010. we need to set our offensive sites higher than 400 ypg if we want to be a "good" offense.

smootness
09-19-2013, 11:01 AM
420 ypg would put you 60th in the country right now. to be considered a "good" offense though, you need to be closer to 500 ypg.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-game

scrolling back through the last few years, you can see the number of teams averaging 500+ ypg growing each season since 2009-2010. we need to set our offensive sites higher than 400 ypg if we want to be a "good" offense.

Football, both college and pro, is turning into crap. I don't want to see game after game of, who can avoid missing the endzone one time?

The defenses need to catch up fast, or they need to change the rules again.

Dawg61
09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Reason #87 you should stop calling him Dakota, it's creepy as 17

Coach34
09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Reason #87 you should stop calling him Dakota, it's creepy as 17

why is calling him by his ****ing name creepy? Seriously?

Dawg61
09-19-2013, 11:20 AM
why is calling him by his ****ing name creepy? Seriously?

Because NOBODY calls him by his full name but you. That's weird dude.

Coach34
09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
holy shit...well, I'll just be weird then

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 12:52 PM

I expect him and all of our QB's to complete between 60-65% of their passes. Speaking for myself here. If you have that kind of completion percentage to go along with the running, well then that would be hell of wheels for the teams we play.

Some of our fans seem to forget- to be a true dual threat you have to be able to run AND throw.

starkvegasdawg
09-19-2013, 12:56 PM

I can live with the passes down the field missed from time to time. For us as a team to have any chance of success we have to do the little things right all the time. That includes hitting the 0-5 yard passes every time. The one example that comes to mind against Auburn was the pass out on the right flat that he one hopped the receiver. He could have crab walked into the endzone. Now we did end up getting a TD on the next play but against a better defense that could have been our only chance between a TD and a missed FG.

Speaking of short passes. I wish we would do more of that. It seems that almost every play (regardless of team) there will be an open receiver within 5 yards of the LOS. I know there will for teams playing us because our DB's line up 10 yards off the ball...even if the other team only needs 3 yards for the first. I would think as a coach I would wear that out until the defense was stacking 11 in the box and then go with a double move for a deeper shot. If we're content with a 4 yard run why not be content with a 4 yard pass?

Coach34
09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
I expect him and all of our QB's to complete between 60-65% of their passes. .

We've only had one QB do that in school history

I find it funny everybody banging on Dakota for being at 53.5% for the game when Russell was only 58% for the season last year

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
I can live with the passes down the field missed from time to time. For us as a team to have any chance of success we have to do the little things right all the time. That includes hitting the 0-5 yard passes every time. The one example that comes to mind against Auburn was the pass out on the right flat that he one hopped the receiver. He could have crab walked into the endzone. Now we did end up getting a TD on the next play but against a better defense that could have been our only chance between a TD and a missed FG.

Speaking of short passes. I wish we would do more of that. It seems that almost every play (regardless of team) there will be an open receiver within 5 yards of the LOS. I know there will for teams playing us because our DB's line up 10 yards off the ball...even if the other team only needs 3 yards for the first. I would think as a coach I would wear that out until the defense was stacking 11 in the box and then go with a double move for a deeper shot. If we're content with a 4 yard run why not be content with a 4 yard pass?

Exactly- throwing deep is only valuable if we actually complete some of those passes downfield. Otherwise, the other team will be like- "go ahead and waste a down."

Coach34
09-19-2013, 01:04 PM
. The one example that comes to mind against Auburn was the pass out on the right flat that he one hopped the receiver. He could have crab walked into the endzone. Now we did end up getting a TD on the next play but against a better defense that could have been our only chance between a TD and a missed FG.

That was on RoJo- it was supposed to be a quick screen but he drifted down the field. It's little things like that people dont realize about our WR's and the mistakes they make.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 01:05 PM
We've only had one QB do that in school history

I find it funny everybody banging on Dakota for being at 53.5% for the game when Russell was only 58% for the season last year

Yes, and we have historically sucked at the QB position. And I agree- Russell overall wasn't acceptable either by that measure.

It's reasonable for us to have that expectation- Ole Miss has a guy with a hurt arm completing 64% of his passes-and his percentage actually goes UP if you take out the SEMO State game.

Coach34
09-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Yes, and we have historically sucked at the QB position. And I agree- Russell overall wasn't acceptable either by that measure.

It's reasonable for us to have that expectation- Ole Miss has a guy with a hurt arm completing 64% of his passes-and his percentage actually goes UP if you take out the SEMO State game.

They throw alot of bubble screens to help that. Why we dont with a guy like Jameon or #10 I'll never know

'Merica Dawg
09-19-2013, 01:34 PM

he sure passes better than Relf.. and that's a fact

Pollodawg
09-19-2013, 01:44 PM
All I know is that for his first start in the SEC on the road in a place that is notoriously difficult to win at, Dak did exceptionally. Just because Auburn sucked last season doesn't mean they won't be decent now. Jordan Hare is one of the hardest places in the SEC to win even when AU is only half decent. Hell, LSU only won 12-10 there last season.

dawgs
09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Football, both college and pro, is turning into crap. I don't want to see game after game of, who can avoid missing the endzone one time?

The defenses need to catch up fast, or they need to change the rules again.

we can bitch and moan about the changes in football and attempt to remain a shining light of "real football", or we can join most of the rest of the country accepting that football is a changing game and that we are about to get lapped by our main rival and everyone else in the sec (again) because they are adapting to the new way the game is played and the new way kids are being coached up through junior high and HS.

dawgs
09-19-2013, 01:54 PM
They throw alot of bubble screens to help that. Why we dont with a guy like Jameon or #10 I'll never know

because as much as we want jameon to be msu's percy harvin, the fact is that he was a 2*/low 3* recruit and is OK in space, but not anything really special. ole miss has moncrief (high 4*) and treadwell (5*) WRs out there to make guys miss. that's why ole miss can sit there throwing 25 damn bubble screens a game and picking up 5+ yards a pop and occasionally breaking a big one, while we are lucky to get 5 yards a couple times per game on one.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-19-2013, 02:01 PM

That's why I said at the end of the season. The YPG's will drop some as in conference play goes into full swing.

Coach34
09-19-2013, 02:13 PM
because as much as we want jameon to be msu's percy harvin, the fact is that he was a 2*/low 3* recruit and is OK in space, but not anything really special. ole miss has moncrief (high 4*) and treadwell (5*) WRs out there to make guys miss. that's why ole miss can sit there throwing 25 damn bubble screens a game and picking up 5+ yards a pop and occasionally breaking a big one, while we are lucky to get 5 yards a couple times per game on one.

thats a load of shit. Lewis is quick as lightning and can get yardage. Apparently you have never seen him return a kickoff

SignalToNoise
09-19-2013, 02:21 PM

This is really your reasoning? That we can't run screen plays because we don't have a 4* or 5* recruit to throw to?

Jeebus.

War Machine Dawg
09-19-2013, 02:28 PM
This is really your reasoning? That we can't run screen plays because we don't have a 4* or 5* recruit to throw to?

Jeebus.

I really wonder which team some of our "fans" are watching sometimes. It sure as hell isn't the one that I watch. Who gives a flying **** about "stars?" We all know the system is rigged and inherently flawed, but grown ass men are getting hung up on "stars" like it's a damn recruiting Bible. Hell, CoachCamp has said it's commonplace for a multi-sport guys to get dinged on the "star" count. Plus, in a state as sparsely populated as MS, guys are going to fly under the radar all the time. Johnthan Banks was an unranked 1 star. Did he suck? Hallelujah, holy shit, where's the Tylenol?! I'm about to have a ****ing brain aneurysm. This board is quickly becoming unreadable.

War Machine Dawg
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
thats a load of shit. Lewis is quick as lightning and can get yardage. Apparently you have never seen him return a kickoff

The only thing stopping Tubby are his struggles with the dropsies and occasional fumblitis. But he's got elite speed and quickness. If he could develop his hands just a wee bit more, he'd be an absolute game breaker.

dawgs
09-19-2013, 03:30 PM
i just get really really tired of hearing some relatively unknown recruit is the next "percy harvin" or whatever former 4*/5* recruit we claim him to be a clone of, then when they get on campus, they don't do a whole lot of anything. sorry but lewis is 3 games into his junior season and he has 27 career catches, that's not a good sign of a pending breakout. he's a nice kick returner, but that's about it. he can run fast, but he's just not a good "football player".

PMDawg
09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
No matter who starts, we suck right now. We likely just gave our bowl slot to a mediocre auburn team. We suck because our O Line sucks and our coaches' collective buttholes pucker in every game where we are not favored by at least 2 touchdowns.

blacklistedbully
09-19-2013, 04:24 PM
holy shit...well, I'll just be weird then

Coach34 and Dakota sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G....

Hey, if Dakota "Dak" Prescott can win football games for us, I'd stand in line to kiss him myself!

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 04:43 PM

For the pile on- if we have lower rated players- getting them the ball in space via a screen seems to make more sense to me than it does throwing them the ball downfield.

PMDawg
09-19-2013, 05:18 PM
For the pile on- if we have lower rated players- getting them the ball in space via a screen seems to make more sense to me than it does throwing them the ball downfield.

#WINNING!

I started to post this myself, but it seems futile. If 4 and 5 star recruits are required, why do Troy, Texas Tech, Houston, Ole Miss, Hawaii, and numerous other shitty schools use this tactic so much?

dawgs
09-19-2013, 05:20 PM
look, sorry i commented, but it was in response to "They throw alot of bubble screens to help that. Why we dont with a guy like Jameon or #10 I'll never know". i'm just pointing out why maybe we can't sit there and throw 25 bubble screens a game. whatever, i'm just tired of this shit, i sit here and watch us appear to be on track with a young confident coach showing some balls, and in a matter of 2 years we are back on the fast track to being the worst team in the west (maybe conference) and getting our asses kicked on the field and in the recruiting game by our biggest rival, who not only is recruiting better than us, but is signing classes that all but <5 programs in the country would be ecstatic to bring in. our formerly confident head coach now coaches like he's scared shitless. sorry i don't share yall's optimism that jameon lewis is some untapped source of big plays.

Dawgfan77
09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
You guys talkin about stars and shit need to watch Troys no star and one stars wr run the shit out if our DB's. this will prove one or two things. One Troy is better at WR than we are(can't convince me of that) or coaches don't put our players in a position to be successful. My biggest complaint if Mullen is he doesn't trust talent and youth to win games