PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
09-19-2013, 09:03 AM
The braves currently have a 1 (and tiebreaker) game lead over cards and 3 (and tiebreaker) game lead over dodgers. This is how each team finishes:

Braves -- at cubs (3), brewers (3), phillies (4)

Dodgers -- d'backs (1), at padres (3), at giants (3), Rockies (3)

Cards -- Rockies (1), brewers (3), Nats (3), cubs (3)

So who gets home field? I like the braves chances

smootness
09-19-2013, 09:05 AM
They still have a good shot based on the schedule and in effect a 2-game lead, but they have to play better. They can't lose 6 of the last 10 and feel good about it.

msstate7
09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
They still have a good shot based on the schedule and in effect a 2-game lead, but they have to play better. They can't lose 6 of the last 10 and feel good about it.
Heyward should be back next week and I think that'll be the shot in the arm they need

CJDAWG85
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Braves really needed to get one of those games in the DH.

smootness
09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Heyward should be back next week and I think that'll be the shot in the arm they need

Hopefully he doesn't miss a beat from where he was when he went down.

If he is doing what he was doing in the leadoff spot, we're going to be fine.

msstate7
09-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Hopefully he doesn't miss a beat from where he was when he went down.

If he is doing what he was doing in the leadoff spot, we're going to be fine.

His defense will help the pitchers even if he doesn't help. Heyward saves a run it seems every day with his defense

War Machine Dawg
09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
I think last night will be a big turning point. C.B. Bucknor may have just wrapped homefield in a bow for the Braves. Seeing Wood & Fredi get fired up and tossed, then to put up a 3 spot and go on to win.....HUGE. We've needed something to provide a spark and that may have been it. It was also good to see Kimbrel come right back out and absolutely slam the door after blowing one yesterday. I still don't trust him, but Uggla hitting the bomb may be a sign he's about to find his stroke again. Don't expect it, but it'd be nice to see. I'm ready for BJ to be "injured" and have to "rehab" at Gwinnett. He's not even worth a bench spot on a 25-man at this point.

The biggest question I have is who we select as starters for the playoffs, other than Minor and Teheran. They've got spots locked up. My guess is Medlen and Maholm. Not wild about Maholm, but he has not bullpen experience.

engie
09-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Homefield is huge for the Braves. Best home team in the NL -- and pretty crappy on the road.

msstate7
09-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Homefield is huge for the Braves. Best home team in the NL -- and pretty crappy on the road.

This is why I'm stressing over best record. Home field is most important to the braves

starkvegasdawg
09-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Braves need 2/3 from the cubs, sweep of brewers, and 2/4 from Phillies.

Don't think the Dodgers will figure in. Cardinals are who I am worried about. This may be pretty conspiracy theory but I really think the nats and Braves do not like each other and with them out of wildcard consideration I would not put it past them to lay down against the cardinals to help try to push them to homefield throughout.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Don't think the Dodgers will figure in. Cardinals are who I am worried about. This may be pretty conspiracy theory but I really think the nats and Braves do not like each other and with them out of wildcard consideration I would not put it past them to lay down against the cardinals to help try to push them to homefield throughout.

MLB players will not do that. I think you would be surprised at how little the players give a rip about other teams. The Nationals attitude is going to be- "we can beat the Braves next year".

msstate7
09-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Hopefully Davey Johnson has more integrity than that. I wouldn't be surprised if they lay down either though.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Hopefully Davey Johnson has more integrity than that. I wouldn't be surprised if they lay down either though.

Trust me- these players do NOT want that kind of a rap when they are free agents or trying to look for a job with another team.

smootness
09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
This is why I'm stressing over best record. Home field is most important to the braves

It's definitely something you want, but I think it's overblown a tad. It is obviously better to play 4 home games in a 7-game series than 3, but that's the only difference. It's not as though the team with home field advantage plays all their games at home.

The Braves could easily win all 3 of their home games even without home field advantage and only need to take 1/4 on the road.

Not to mention that it's baseball. Anything can and will happen. The Padres would have destroyed us if we played a playoff series.