PDA

View Full Version : Giving Scott Stricklin credit - turning around the smaller sports

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Womens and Mens golf are now ranked - 13th for men and 8th for women

Men's tennis is good to very good

Good hires for women's basketball and women's soccer

Great hire for softball - seeing results

Track and field program seems to be solid.

Granted these aren't popular sports...but I am glad we have an AD that is trying to improve the athletics top to bottom. Seems like volleyball and women's tennis are the two that need to be shored up.

Thick
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Well out of those sports, women's bball and softball do get national coverage tv wise. I'm just speaking of exposure purposes. The jury is still out on RR, but so far it seems to be ok. Only time will tell.

godlluB
09-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Hopefully we'll find a way to fix volleyball next. The team was rancid last year, with the best player quitting suddenly just as the SEC schedule was starting. I think we went winless in the conference last year.

smootness
09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Stricklin is a good AD.

I think people see him and think he's just an aw-shucks kind of guy, so he doesn't have the balls to make tough decisions and must be a pushover.

That's simply an assumption. The guy has proven to me that he can make very good hires...he doesn't just push for the 'big name' or the easy hire, which is, for some reason, what fans always want him to do. He looks for good candidates, and so far I like who he's hired.

He is pushing for facilities upgrades all over the place (and DNF is next), and he is great at fundraising.

I really don't see what is not to like. He isn't Greg Byrne, but Byrne basically came into a situation where we hadn't made many good AD decisions in a long time, so it was easy for him to come in like a hurricane, make some obvious changes, and be thought a hero when he left after a couple of years.

Stricklin is in it for the long haul and is making good decisions.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 08:57 AM
the money being brought in from football is what allows these sports to thrive. if football stops making money, theses sports collapse. I think SS has shown he can do a good job of managing a budget when he has money. My concern is that so far he's seemed to place more importance on the short term financial gains than the long term financial viability and earning potential of the football program. I feel like he cashed in his chips with the Okie State game.

Although I do like that they adjusted the commercials this year. A better game experience is a must if we're going to continue to draw fans and sell out the stadium, especially if we keep falling between that 6-8 win range every year.

smootness
09-19-2013, 09:03 AM
I feel like he cashed in his chips with the Okie State game.

My gosh, dude, let it go.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 09:05 AM

no.

cheewgumm
09-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Especially since its wrong

BeastMan
09-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm glad those sports are doing well but who really cares? Honest question & I'm not trying to be a dick. I haven't tried to attend any of those sports or watch them on TV. They just don't register on my radar.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-19-2013, 09:59 AM
I would want our AD to care. I hope MSU cares about all of the sports. Obviously you can't/won't give equal attention to all, but you should try and field competitive teams in every sport.

Just because they are sports that you can't brag to your coworkers about, doesn't mean they are worthless.

godlluB
09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
If you live in Starkville, you should give some of them a shot. I went to a softball game against Ole Miss last year expecting to hate every moment and
fully planning to leave early. We ended up having a great time and got totally caught up in kicking some Rebel ass. I've gone to a lot of volleyball games too in the last few years, and despite the fact that we suck, it's surprisingly exciting. As the old saying goes, don't knock it until you try it.

smootness
09-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Sports are sports. If there's a competition between two teams/people, I'll get into it anywhere, anytime, in any sport.

TheRef
09-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Tennis matches may be some of the most exciting things to watch. Especially when it is 3-3 and you're in the last match. Oh yeah, the stadium is waiting to explode.

cheewgumm
09-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Well, good news and bad news...and they're both the same. NONE OF THOSE SPORTS MATTER.

Womens and Mens golf are now ranked - 13th for men and 8th for women

Men's tennis is good to very good

Good hires for women's basketball and women's soccer

Great hire for softball - seeing results

Track and field program seems to be solid.

Granted these aren't popular sports...but I am glad we have an AD that is trying to improve the athletics top to bottom. Seems like volleyball and women's tennis are the two that need to be shored up.

BeastMan
09-19-2013, 10:15 AM
I would want our AD to care. I hope MSU cares about all of the sports. Obviously you can't/won't give equal attention to all, but you should try and field competitive teams in every sport.

Just because they are sports that you can't brag to your coworkers about, doesn't mean they are worthless.

Good point. Regardless of how I feel about them, the AD needs to care b/c it's his job. I agree with your original point, he does deserve credit for smaller sports.

M.Fillmore
09-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Political Hack is right. Throw it in Strick's face early and often so he doesn't make another goofball move like this again.

Op4isabitch
09-19-2013, 10:26 AM
no.

I disagree, OK State was a gamble but could have paid huge dividends if our offense executed, it was a very winnable game! Unfortunately our Offense wether due to coaching or scheme shit the bed, I'm no Stricklin apologist but that wasn't on him.

smootness
09-19-2013, 10:26 AM
A) No, he isn't.

B) Even if you think it wasn't the right decision, it isn't actually the cause of every problem within the football program and athletic department as a whole.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 10:27 AM
A) yes, I am.

smootness
09-19-2013, 10:31 AM
A) yes, I am.

Oh, ok.

cheewgumm
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
It's hilarious our fanbase thinks our problem is "we scheduled an opponent that is too tough for us."

hahah. This must be how the Millsaps football program works.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 10:46 AM
what kickoff game do you see us getting invited to next season?

if the answer is "none," it's because we cashed in while we could and have hit a nose dive. we should've focused in building the program, not funding the program with a LOSS. That's what Alcorn does. I don't want to be like Alcorn.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 10:46 AM
four top ten teams obviously wasn't tough enough.

trob115
09-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Well if you are talking about smaller sports, Volleyball sucks. They set the record for losses last year by any SEC team. It's time to get that fixed too. I know it's volleyball, but still. How hard is it to win 4 matches in a season?

DiligenceDawg
09-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Instead of being mad we scheduled a tough game my issue is and will continue to be that we aren't in a position to win any of the tough games. Sure I'd like to goto bowl games but if thats your only target why aren't you lobbying to drop us down to cusa.

smootness
09-19-2013, 11:00 AM
what kickoff game do you see us getting invited to next season?

if the answer is "none," it's because we cashed in while we could and have hit a nose dive. we should've focused in building the program, not funding the program with a LOSS. That's what Alcorn does. I don't want to be like Alcorn.

It didn't hit the program with an automatic loss. We played like crap. That was a beatable team, and our coaches didn't get the job done.

But instead of being upset with the coaches, you're upset with the AD.

If you think the AD's job is to get only games on the schedule that we are guaranteed to win, not simply that we can win, then you don't want us to be in the SEC.

Op4isabitch
09-19-2013, 11:01 AM
The SEC is the premier league in the country. If we want to live under that umbrella then we need to live up to the hype.We have the influx of capital from the T.V deals and have made large investments in our sports infrastructure, now it's time to throw the money at upgrading our coaching staff, I'm not saying Dan needs to go but we need to be funneling resources toward better assistants coaches and compliance department personnel.

Prices of attending games has increased significantly since Dan arrived and I have no problem with that because wins have become more frequent. However with the higher prices demanded for tickets, larger BC contributions etc and the new reseating coming I expect an exponential drop in attendance if we continue the downhill slide. Scott needs to remember people won't continue to pay a Prime Rib price for a Carolina pride hotdog for very long.

curmudgeon
09-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Volleyball has to get a new coach. Jenny Hazelwood is True Maroon (played VB at MSU, married Brian Hazelwood the kicker), but she's out of her league in SEC volleyball. She coached MC and Centenary (48-138 combined) and was 30-36 in two seasons at Austin Peay when we hired her. She loves MSU, but its very evident she's not a Division I volleyball coach.

Then the debacle with the best player quitting mid-season, and the fact that the SEC is getting real good in volleyball real quick.

Here's a list of possible replacements.

Ryan Theis, Ohio
Young up and coming coach that has MAC team doing very well. Has been in the SEC as an assistant coach at Florida where he was considered one of the nation's best recruiters. Won the MAC in his first season at Ohio and garnered the school's first appearance in the NCAAs (We've never been). Went to the second round the next two seasons. This season, he has them in the top 25 and they knocked off a top 10 team (we've never done) in Oregon.

That's it. Scott needs to get this guy back to the SEC. He's pulling in national ranked recruits at Ohio University. He can do it here. He's the Urban Meyer of Women's Volleyball. Yes, he'll go to Florida in a few years, but we might make the field of eight in the SEC Tournament while he is here.

trob115
09-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Volleyball has to get a new coach. Jenny Hazelwood is True Maroon (played VB at MSU, married Brian Hazelwood the kicker), but she's out of her league in SEC volleyball. She coached MC and Centenary (48-138 combined) and was 30-36 in two seasons at Austin Peay when we hired her. She loves MSU, but its very evident she's not a Division I volleyball coach.

Then the debacle with the best player quitting mid-season, and the fact that the SEC is getting real good in volleyball real quick.

Here's a list of possible replacements.

Ryan Theis, Ohio
Young up and coming coach that has MAC team doing very well. Has been in the SEC as an assistant coach at Florida where he was considered one of the nation's best recruiters. Won the MAC in his first season at Ohio and garnered the school's first appearance in the NCAAs (We've never been). Went to the second round the next two seasons. This season, he has them in the top 25 and they knocked off a top 10 team (we've never done) in Oregon.

That's it. Scott needs to get this guy back to the SEC. He's pulling in national ranked recruits at Ohio University. He can do it here. He's the Urban Meyer of Women's Volleyball. Yes, he'll go to Florida in a few years, but we might make the field of eight in the SEC Tournament while he is here.

I agree , a new coach is needed now.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
It didn't hit the program with an automatic loss. We played like crap. That was a beatable team, and our coaches didn't get the job done.

But instead of being upset with the coaches, you're upset with the AD.

If you think the AD's job is to get only games on the schedule that we are guaranteed to win, not simply that we can win, then you don't want us to be in the SEC.

we don't schedule games only we can win. we play in the freaking SEC. we play five top ten teams in the country this year. There's a pretty decent chance we play both teams in the SEC Championship game (if SC goes) and both teams in the national championship (assuming Okie State finishes undefeated). I would've rather tried to play them in Atlanta or a BCS bowl than kicking off our season with ANOTHER top ten team. We play a hard enough schedule as it is. Anyone that can't see that is a moron.

cheewgumm
09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
, because if that is your expectation, then our season is right on schedule this year.

we don't schedule games only we can win. we play in the freaking SEC. we play five top ten teams in the country this year. There's a pretty decent chance we play both teams in the SEC Championship game (if SC goes) and both teams in the national championship (assuming Okie State finishes undefeated). I would've rather tried to play them in Atlanta or a BCS bowl than kicking off our season with ANOTHER top ten team. We play a hard enough schedule as it is. Anyone that can't see that is a moron.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 12:04 PM
, because if that is your expectation, then our season is right on schedule this year.

so, you want to play five top ten teams and win more than 8 games a year. I gotcha. Glad I know this conversation is taking place at fantasy land. carry on...

cheewgumm
09-19-2013, 12:11 PM
No, I'm saying you should be happy, we are on schedule to win 6.

Mission Accomplished. Our program is in the process of being built...done and done.

smootness
09-19-2013, 12:28 PM

I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't have scheduled OSU. That's a reasonable debate; I'm fine with the decision, I can see why some people think we should have avoided it.

But in no way was that game the kind of devastating mistake you seem to believe it was. Had we scheduled Army, we probably would have ended the year with one more win, yes. But that's about it, and we still had a chance to come out with the win in that game. It wasn't an automatic loss; we had the players to get it done.

There is no way in the world there is a 'pretty decent chance' OSU is going to play for the national title. That team we played just wasn't all that great; maybe a top 25 team, nothing more.

That's fine if you would rather play them in a BCS bowl. But that wasn't happening this year no matter what, with the team we have out there right now.

This is what I take issue with...the fact that you think scheduling OSU was some kind of difference between going to BCS bowls vs. not going to BCS bowls. If we were that good, we would have beaten OSU pretty easily. Again, if it's automatic wins you're looking for, then you should want us out of the SEC.

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Mission Accomplished. Our program is in the process of being built...done and done.

Name the six. Alcorn and....?

Todd4State
09-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't have scheduled OSU. That's a reasonable debate; I'm fine with the decision, I can see why some people think we should have avoided it.

But in no way was that game the kind of devastating mistake you seem to believe it was. Had we scheduled Army, we probably would have ended the year with one more win, yes. But that's about it, and we still had a chance to come out with the win in that game. It wasn't an automatic loss; we had the players to get it done.

There is no way in the world there is a 'pretty decent chance' OSU is going to play for the national title. That team we played just wasn't all that great; maybe a top 25 team, nothing more.

That's fine if you would rather play them in a BCS bowl. But that wasn't happening this year no matter what, with the team we have out there right now.

This is what I take issue with...the fact that you think scheduling OSU was some kind of different between going to BCS bowls vs. not going to BCS bowls. If we were that good, we would have beaten OSU pretty easily.

A manageable schedule can take a 6 win team to 8 and an 8 win team to 10. Have you seen how other teams promote their program? Alabama has been to 60 bowls or whatever and that comes straight from a marketing thing from Alabama. Any mention of pre-season bowls or "Toughest SOS in the country!"? Nope. Know why? NO ONE CARES!

Simply put- going to bowls is what matters at the end of the day. If you go consistently, then you build the perception nationally that you are a good program. That perception leads to getting better players and getting better players is what helps you get to BCS bowls and maybe after I'm dead- Championships.

And to put it another way- NOT going to bowls= the perception that you are a bad program which leads to more :(

We are only in year FIVE of trying to do things in a rational manner in football. It simply wasn't time to play Oklahoma State or that type of team yet. And getting beat 21-3 is not "beatable" unless you are Oklahoma State of course. Not to mention the players that got hurt in the game that we could have used to help us maybe beat Auburn- which isn't exactly a stretch since we lost on the last play of the game. Army+Alcorn+healthy MSU starters to likely beat Auburn= 3-0 MSU football team.

engie
09-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Except that we AREN'T on schedule to win 6.

Things have to go perfectly from this point on -- with zero bedshitting -- to win 6.

smootness
09-19-2013, 01:25 PM
A manageable schedule can take a 6 win team to 8 and an 8 win team to 10. Have you seen how other teams promote their program? Alabama has been to 60 bowls or whatever and that comes straight from a marketing thing from Alabama. Any mention of pre-season bowls or "Toughest SOS in the country!"? Nope. Know why? NO ONE CARES!

Simply put- going to bowls is what matters at the end of the day. If you go consistently, then you build the perception nationally that you are a good program. That perception leads to getting better players and getting better players is what helps you get to BCS bowls and maybe after I'm dead- Championships.

And to put it another way- NOT going to bowls= the perception that you are a bad program which leads to more :(

We are only in year FIVE of trying to do things in a rational manner in football. It simply wasn't time to play Oklahoma State or that type of team yet. And getting beat 21-3 is not "beatable" unless you are Oklahoma State of course. Not to mention the players that got hurt in the game that we could have used to help us maybe beat Auburn- which isn't exactly a stretch since we lost on the last play of the game. Army+Alcorn+healthy MSU starters to likely beat Auburn= 3-0 MSU football team.

I've had that viewpoint before, about scheduling so you can make the best bowl game possible. I get that. But I'm kind of tired of it. I don't really care what we put on t-shirts; I want to watch us play good teams and be competitive. We could have beat Oklahoma State; that was an option, and if we had, it would have accelerated the whole process of exposure/marketing, etc. I'd rather us beat our chests for beating a good team than for going to a slightly better bowl because we played a bunch of crap in the OOC schedule.

And an easier schedule doesn't always equate to more wins for precisely that reason. If your schedule alone results in a 2-in difference in your season, you probably didn't win 10 games; about the best it can do is take you from 7 to 8 or maybe 6 to 8. If we're good enough to go 6-2 in today's SEC, we can easily beat a decent Big 12 team. We would win 10 games either way. It's not as though every tough OOC game is against the #1 team in the country and unwinnable.

But again, that isn't even the argument. I get both sides of the 'Should we have scheduled OSU?' issue. What I don't get is why people like Hack, after we've had nothing but patsies on our OOC for years (and Stricklin himself publicly supported that policy) suddenly believe Stricklin is awful and ruining our program for scheduling one team one year, after we lost the game we originally had scheduled.

We took a shot, and we lost. We may never do it again, I don't know; knowing Stricklin, we probably won't.

But it was one game. It either took us from 6 wins to 5, or from 7 wins to 6. Even if it was from 6 to 5, being able to print '4 straight bowl games!' really doesn't change a whole lot.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 04:00 PM

This is what I take issue with...the fact that you think scheduling OSU was some kind of difference between going to BCS bowls vs. not going to BCS bowls. If we were that good, we would have beaten OSU pretty easily. Again, if it's automatic wins you're looking for, then you should want us out of the SEC.

if we're good enough we'll play then in a BCS bowl. if not, we'll save ourselves a loss.