PDA

View Full Version : Frank Broyles passed away

BrunswickDawg
08-14-2017, 03:38 PM
I know it's not MSU - but I always respected Broyles, and thought he was an important figure in college sports.

Broyles is also a fellow Georgian and even in my day he was still something of a legend in Decatur (Boys High) and at Georgia Tech. I grew up hearing from my grandfather about facing Broyles in football and basketball. Supposedly, my grandfather was a benchwarmer in basketball. The only game he started was against Boys High - with the explicit job of picking a fight with Broyles to try to get him ejected. He failed, and Broyles led Boys High to solid win over our Marietta Blue Devils. He was one of the last of an era of legendary coaches.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Rick Flair ain't doing so well either.....

was21
08-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Sherrill said Broyles at one time was the best PR man in the business...what he said

BrunswickDawg
08-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Rick Flair ain't doing so well either.....
That one will cause me to miss work - all the jet plane riding, kiss stealing, and wheelin' dealin' that I'll do in mourning will wear me out. Rooting for you Natch

anubus
08-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Intensive care as of now.....hope he gets through it.

Spiderman
08-15-2017, 07:49 AM
I know it's not MSU - but I always respected Broyles, and thought he was an important figure in college sports.

Broyles is also a fellow Georgian and even in my day he was still something of a legend in Decatur (Boys High) and at Georgia Tech. I grew up hearing from my grandfather about facing Broyles in football and basketball. Supposedly, my grandfather was a benchwarmer in basketball. The only game he started was against Boys High - with the explicit job of picking a fight with Broyles to try to get him ejected. He failed, and Broyles led Boys High to solid win over our Marietta Blue Devils. He was one of the last of an era of legendary coaches.

And Broyles calling big games with Keith Jackson was classic.

"Lee-o-tis Jawn-Son , a soff- a - more out of Gnat's Ass Ally-Bama. Look at them laigs on him, Keith. He's ready made for Pow-a football""

They have got to get the "Color" back into the color commentator chair. Need the characters back in. That's why I'm all for Les Miles getting a color gig