PDA

View Full Version : They Are A**holes

Gundog
08-11-2017, 07:34 PM
I have seen many people here try to explain why we are witnessing the current events in Oxford. I have seen numerous posters call Ole Miss people/fans all kinds of things- and most of you are wrong. And I mean it in the nicest way. My time at State was spent studying sociology. My undergrad focused on sociology/corrections. Little did I know at the time that the study of a closed prison society would provide me such a window into the soul into UM. So here it is-

Ole Miss people are not mere shitbirds, douchebags or arrogant pricks. They are assholes- yes, I am serious and I think I can prove it to you.

How many times have you asked, why are Ole Miss people the way they are? Why do they think/act like they are superior to everyone? Especially other people who worked hard and often raised their families right beside them in one of the poorest states in the Union- but differ mainly by having sent their children to a different college. Why, as a people and a fan base, are they largely narcissistic, arrogant, rude, and socially oblivious dickheads to others who do not support their beliefs? The answer is simple, they are assholes.

In 2015, a modern Ph.D. in Philosophy, Aaron James, wrote his New York Times best seller, A**holes, A Theory, which is simple, succinct and fascinating. He says that in interpersonal or cooperative relations, the asshole:
1.) Allows himself to enjoy special advantages and does so systematically
2.) Does this out of an entrenched sense of entitlement and
3.) Is immunized by his sense of entitlement against the complaints of other people

Sound familiar? James quotes theological heavyweights throughout this seminal work and juxtaposes thoughts and theories by Socrates and Kant to lay out an extremely thought out, well organized and funny as hell theory that is worth the read.

What pisses us off, is the asshole is morally motivated largely based upon entitlement. Again, sound familiar?

Convinced yet? I've got more... but I'll stop here.

Spiderman
08-11-2017, 07:48 PM
I have seen many people here try to explain why we are witnessing the current events in Oxford. I have seen numerous posters call Ole Miss people/fans all kinds of things- and most of you are wrong. And I mean it in the nicest way. My time at State was spent studying sociology. My undergrad focused on sociology/corrections. Little did I know at the time that the study of a closed prison society would provide me such a window into the soul into UM. So here it is-

Ole Miss people are not mere shitbirds, douchebags or arrogant pricks. They are assholes- yes, I am serious and I think I can prove it to you.

How many times have you asked, why are Ole Miss people the way they are? Why do they think/act like they are superior to everyone? Especially other people who worked hard and often raised their families right beside them in one of the poorest states in the Union- but differ mainly by having sent their children to a different college. Why, as a people and a fan base, are they largely narcissistic, arrogant, rude, and socially oblivious dickheads to others who do not support their beliefs? The answer is simple, they are assholes.

In 2015, a modern Ph.D. in Philosophy, Aaron James, wrote his New York Times best seller, A**holes, A Theory, which is simple, succinct and fascinating. He says that in interpersonal or cooperative relations, the asshole:
1.) Allows himself to enjoy special advantages and does so systematically
2.) Does this out of an entrenched sense of entitlement and
3.) Is immunized by his sense of entitlement against the complaints of other people

Sound familiar? James quotes theological heavyweights throughout this seminal work and juxtaposes thoughts and theories by Socrates and Kant to lay out an extremely thought out, well organized and funny as hell theory that is worth the read.

What pisses us off, is the asshole is morally motivated largely based upon entitlement. Again, sound familiar?

Convinced yet? I've got more... but I'll stop here.

It's getting where I can't even discuss this stuff with "Rational" Ole Miss fans anymore. They go into a rage.

AlmostPositive
08-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Assholes are everywhere...Ole Miss just let their biggest ones run the asylum.

Here's a telling data point: Dickie Scruggs still gets treated like royalty in the Grove. Almost anywhere else he would be treated like the snake he is.

Dawgcentral
08-11-2017, 07:57 PM
You're not going to get much, if any argument here. But I have to say, even an asshole in an anatomical sense, with evacuate the waste on a regular basis.
That university needs an an enema.

Spiderman
08-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Assholes are everywhere...Ole Miss just let their biggest ones run the asylum.

Here's a telling data point: Dickie Scruggs still gets treated like royalty in the Grove. Almost anywhere else he would be treated like the snake he is.

Scrugg's money means he will always have a say. That's why they are a Culture of Corruption. And he's not the only one.

dogshiek
08-11-2017, 08:01 PM
You're not going to get much, if any argument here. But I have to say, even an asshole in an anatomical sense, with evacuate the waste on a regular basis.
That university needs an an enema.

These assholes think their farts don't stink, yet they always look like they are smelling them.

Gundog
08-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Scrugg's money means he will always have a say. That's why they are a Culture of Corruption. And he's not the only one.

What I have always found interesting is why the culture exists in the first place. James says it is based upon morals (or lack there of) and a sense of entitlement. I don't disagree with him.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2017, 08:16 PM
What I have always found interesting is why the culture exists in the first place. James says it is based upon morals (or lack there of) and a sense of entitlement. I don't disagree with him.

Great analysis and full agreement.

A high sense of entitlement creates a low sense of responsibility. In all of this neither HF, Bjork, Vitter, boosters nor their fanbase has taken any responsibility for their actions.

I hope the COI realizes what they have to do to stop this. They have to burn it to the ground like Sherman did. You have to tie the railroad tracks to trees. OM will not stop short of a DP. They need a couple of years time out to think about their decisions. Anything short of that and they will be right back to the same behavior as soon as the investigators leave town if not before.

Spiderman
08-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Redneck rich.

Scruggs was white trash. His mom's boss helped him go to Ole Miss. Then he used ROTC for the rest. Was a 2 bit lawyer who admittedly had lost ANOTHER case when an asbestos case fell in his lap. Used that money to sue more for asbestos. Then that for tobacco. Bribing judges and cutting corners the whole way.

His type can't help it. Hugh Freeze was the same. Buddy uped with celebs an big money boosters trying to fit in and show he belonged, all the while knowing he was a buck toothed hayseed straight off the farm.

Cheated and cut corners to try to stay there. Same as Scruggs and Langston and others up there who just haven't been caught.

Gundog
08-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Redneck rich.

Scruggs was white trash. His mom's boss helped him go to Ole Miss. Then he used ROTC for the rest. Was a 2 bit lawyer who admittedly had lost ANOTHER case when an asbestos case fell in his lap. Used that money to sue more for asbestos. Then that for tobacco. Bribing judges and cutting corners the whole way.

His type can't help it. Hugh Freeze was the same. Buddy uped with celebs an big money boosters trying to fit in and show he belonged, all the while knowing he was a buck toothed hayseed straight off the farm.

Cheated and cut corners to try to stay there. Same as Scruggs and Langston and others up there who just haven't been caught.

I have yet to ponder Scruggs. I left Mississippi a long time ago. But others who have recently fallen in stature certainly appear to fall into the self agrandizing asshole category as outlined in the theory. But I am not willing to pigeon-hole people as of yet. I am still mentally working it through.

SailingDawg
08-11-2017, 09:11 PM
728 views, 9 replies

Click an ad, b**ches

AlmostPositive
08-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Dickie Scruggs is emblematic of Ole Miss's corruption.

Howboutdemdogs
08-11-2017, 09:19 PM
I like it Gundog, but you also just described a Libertard. Close between the two, OM Ass Hat and a California liberal. Just saying.

CowbellClanga
08-11-2017, 09:24 PM
A high sense of entitlement creates a low sense of responsibility. In all of this neither HF, Bjork, Vitter, boosters nor their fanbase has taken any responsibility for their actions.

This right here. All. Day. Long.

Joe Schmedlap
08-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Go easy on the white trash using ROTC to get an education, mother fuya. Been there, done that.

QUOTE=Spiderman;786781]Redneck rich.

Cheated and cut corners to try to stay there. Same as Scruggs and Langston and others up there who just haven't been caught.[/QUOTE]

TrapGame
08-11-2017, 09:39 PM

He's the poster boy of that whole wretched place.

JoseBrown
08-11-2017, 10:08 PM
17 those Assholes!

They maybe a pretty asshole, but still an Asshole! They maybe a rich asshole, but still an Asshole! They may be cheating assholes, but still Assholes! And shitbirds!

17 those Asshole Shitbirds!!

17 those Shitbird Assholes!

Damn, I feel better now....

Spiderman
08-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Go easy on the white trash using ROTC to get an education, mother fuya. Been there, done that.

QUOTE=Spiderman;786781]Redneck rich.

Cheated and cut corners to try to stay there. Same as Scruggs and Langston and others up there who just haven't been caught.[/QUOTE]

No problem with it, but Scruggs and his ilk act like they are landed gentry.

Bet you didn't cheat, bribe and lie to get where you are now either.

Gundog
08-11-2017, 10:42 PM

Bet you didn't cheat, bribe and lie to get where you are now either.[/QUOTE]

Hence points two and three of the theory. The theory explains why their behaviors are exhibited. It is largely based upon their moral beliefs. In their closed cultural society, they are entitled to their social position and immunized against logic and reason which would challenge their beliefs. Which is profound and puzzling at the same time.

Political Hack
08-11-2017, 10:46 PM
I like the new guy.

Todd4State
08-11-2017, 11:10 PM
I think there is something to this theory. Although it probably doesn't help when they are being told by their reporters that they are going to get off and it's not going to be that bad.

I think a lot of them are going to be shocked when the hammer falls.

Pollodawg
08-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Redneck rich.

Redneck rich is a term that describes that set perfectly. Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF, TAMU are actually rich. Ole Miss is faux rich.

tesa8034
08-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Like my daddy used to say about OM "son , the two biggest assholes in the world are doctors and lawyers ! And the other 90% of there fans act like they are doctors and lawyers"

Gundog
08-11-2017, 11:57 PM
I think there is something to this theory. Although it probably doesn't help when they are being told by their reporters that they are going to get off and it's not going to be that bad.

I think a lot of them are going to be shocked when the hammer falls.

Maybe the UM curveball throwers actually believe their own bullshit because they are assholes.

The theory also allows for the UM talking heads to spew their bullshit not because they believe it but because they know the fan base will not listen to anything else because they are immunized from negative statements against their fine university/sacred cow. Because- they are assholes. That would explain their righteous indignation when people bring up the latest happenings. And it helps explain why certain print media absolutely ignored the biggest story in Mississippi college athletics for years.

But that circumstance would also require self awareness on the UM curveball throwers and I am in no way convinced of that existing within their camp.

Jack Lambert
08-12-2017, 08:16 AM
It's getting where I can't even discuss this stuff with "Rational" Ole Miss fans anymore. They go into a rage.

You discuss this around them. It's funny when we are discussing it, it is with non Ole Miss fans and when one walks into the room we shut up. It's kind of funny.

Dawgbite
08-12-2017, 09:13 AM
I like the new guy.

Yeah, I even like his name. I'm like, damn why didn't I think of that instead of a name associated with somebody everybody hates.

Bully13
08-12-2017, 10:06 AM
I think it starts at the top where all their money is. To me, trial lawyers have a sense of entitlement and are indeed assholes that feel justified when they break rules to get what they want and could care less who they hurt, damage and steal from to get it.

I think this mentality is exposed by the way forward rebels began and how they went about their business. There was nothing wrong with them being pissed off about winning 1 SEC game over a 2 year period, losing a 3rd straight egg bowl to a MSU coach who was being cocky about it as well. MSU blowing out MI in the gator bowl didn't do much to calm their rage either. It was their methods that did them in that were founded in unbridled arrogance. "UNACCEPTABLE" was the headline of their manifesto. Their "rights" were being stomped on and by damn they just were not going to take it anymore .

Had they not let their rage turn to blind stupidity, they could be sitting quite well right now. They could have letter cooler heads prevail by just continuing to 17 MSU over like they always have, pick off a few croots here and there from LSU, Bama, AU, etc.... Croots that were offered but mostly "depth builders" for powerhouse teams but certain starters for teams like Ole Miss. A good coach with players like that can start a solid foundation that works it's way up to the middle of the SEC West's pack then goes from there. That type of cheating is tolerated by the heavy weights.

But no. The bears wanted the entire thing NOW and they were entitled to instant gratification immediately. Jack pot justice with a tobacco lawsuit ruling windfall. So 2 years with 1 SEC win and out pops a 5th ranked recruiting class leaving ESPN and other national sports writers with WTF expressions and words. Pictures of croots flashing benjamins with hot chicks all over them while Freezus explains to reporters how it happened and even challenging accusers to send evidence. Total arrogance while flipping their middle fingers to the entire football nation and doing so because "we are Ole Miss by damn".

Pissing off Fla State and UGA with Tunsil. I forget if it was Treadwell or Moncrief but from what I remember, it was Michigan that got pissed off about that. And If memory serves me, even Nebraska and Upig's coach had comments about the shenanigans going on in oxford. I don't remember any public comments from Saban, but those here at ED claim he played a role in reporting things to the NCAA about the bears as well.

The NCAA and the elite club of the power house teams have unwritten rules of protocol. You don't just barge your way into their club with disrespect. If you are not in their club, there are ways they expect you to climb the ladder and if you make it to a certain point, they'll let you come in but you take your proper seat at the table and act accordingly. It can be an ugly business run similar to the mafia. And if you don't show respect, they will call Guido the hit man to put you in your place.

So Ole Miss you've made your bed and now you have to sleep in it and soon you will wake up one morning with your favorite horse's head all bloodied lying right next to you.

Joe Schmedlap
08-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I know what you meant. I was just messing with you. Giggity!

QUOTE=Spiderman;786829][/QUOTE]

Bet you didn't cheat, bribe and lie to get where you are now either.[/QUOTE]

barfly
08-12-2017, 07:44 PM

All this mentioning of Scruggs has got me wondering if he giving them off the books counsel in the scorched earth tactics of which he was a master. You can play dirty and trample upon others for only so long before God decides enough is enough and provides you your due dose dose of reckoning.