PDA

View Full Version : In retrospect, did we choose the best available when we hired Dan?

Op4isabitch
09-18-2013, 06:11 PM
It came down to him and Kevin "bloody" Wilson. I can't recall many other serious candidates that were courted by the Ninja. If you were the one making the choice which way would you have leaned?

If you don't know who Kevin Bloody Wilson is then google or youtube him...one of the absolute best ever.

Coach34
09-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Yes- Mullen has been the best coach we have had since the 1940's thru the first 4+ years

chef dixon
09-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes and I'm still a big fan of him. Its funny to see a lot of people talk about how terrible Stricklin and Mullen are now because of our current football woes, but everyone loved Byrne mainly for his hiring of Mullen.

DownwardDawg
09-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Yes and I'm still a big fan of him. Its funny to see a lot of people talk about how terrible Stricklin and Mullen are now because of our current football woes, but everyone loved Byrne mainly for his hiring of Mullen.

And Byrne would hold him accountable. Will Scott?
Back to the question, I don't know. He was certainly a better candidate than Wilson. What about Charlie Strong?

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Mullen was put on the clock. Hud was a courtesy interview but ninja was so impressed he wanted him. He liked mullen and offered but put him on the clock. Hud was very close to being the msu coach. If memory serves me correct, ninja hired hud, not mullen.

Coach34
09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
. What about Charlie Strong?

Strong said no thank you

Coach34
09-18-2013, 06:47 PM
If memory serves me correct, ninja hired hud, not mullen.

Correct- and why Mullen didnt let Hud do much of anything while he was at State

BoomBoom
09-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Absolutely. We didn't need just a HC, we needed to turn the whole program around. Dan did a great job on that end even as his HC performance has underwhelmed. But that job is over, and when it comes to retaining Dan, he should be judged solely on his HC performance. We know a TON more about his HC abilities now than anyone could have then. And they are not a good fit for MSU. Dan will do very well with superior talent, but he will never have that at MSU as long as we compete with Bama, LSU, etc. We have to win the coaching battle to win games, and unfortunately that will never be Dan Mullen's strength.

CadaverDawg
09-18-2013, 07:08 PM
We hired the right guy when we hired Mullen. Now hopefully we hire the right guy again if Mullen tanks

Political Hack
09-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Mullen was put on the clock. Hud was a courtesy interview but ninja was so impressed he wanted him. He liked mullen and offered but put him on the clock. Hud was very close to being the msu coach. If memory serves me correct, ninja hired hud, not mullen.

was a few hours away from being announced, or so the story goes.

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Well, I heard it first hand. It is no story.

RougeDawg
09-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes we hired the right guy but we let the right AD slip away. Mullen's demeanor and attitude have changed since the ninja took his act to Arizona. It almost seems that Dan now tells Strick what to do. Doesnt seem to be as much urgency in Mullen's actions on and off the field with Strick at the helm.

Homedawg
09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Strong said no thank you

This is not true. Strong never had the chance to say no thanks because big money guys who were cutting the check didn't give him the option.

smootness
09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes we hired the right guy but we let the right AD slip away. Mullen's demeanor and attitude have changed since the ninja took his act to Arizona. It almost seems that Dan now tells Strick what to do. Doesnt seem to be as much urgency in Mullen's actions on and off the field with Strick at the helm.

Good grief, we have now officially gone overboard.

Coach34
09-18-2013, 08:32 PM
This is not true. Strong never had the chance to say no thanks because big money guys who were cutting the check didn't give him the option.

I'm not going to argue- just going on what a friend of Strick's told me

And by "no thanks" I mean to an interview- I'm not saying we offered him the job

Coach34
09-18-2013, 08:36 PM

This is ridiculous-Mullen, as most coaches, has a huge damn ego. I can assure you he hates losing just as much as the rest of us.

He's the one that puts in 65 hours/week at work
He's the one out in the heat trying to get the guys better
He's the one that faces the media when we look like shit
He's the one that has to orchestrate all this shit day after day

He's not sitting in his office watching funny youtube videos each day to pass the time

biggun
09-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Mullen has lost the bravado he had his first 2 years here which makes it appear like he has lost some of the fire he had in 2009 and 2010.
However, Mullen's weakness has been recruiting, his 2010 and 2011 classes were terrible, and he has really struggled attracting big time OL, WR's, and QB's. Freeze's instant success landing blue chips at virtually every position has made the spotlight burn that much brighter on Mullen's achilles heel, recruiting!!! Having dead weight like Hevesy and Sallach on staff does not help attract players either.

Jocks and Joe's, not the X and O's win games in the SEC. Just not sure Mullen can land enough X and O's to survive. The loss to a rebuilding Auburn team struck quite the blow to our program. If we can't beat a bad Auburn team, who can we beat outside of Kentucky????????????

smootness
09-18-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't really have a lot of issue with Mullen's recruiting right now. Sure, it could always be even better, but we've hit our stride and are now consistently doing well.

There is always a transition when new coaches come to State. It's not the same as Florida. We now have a pretty solid foundation of in-state connections, where we're always going to attract our share of MS kids; now we're starting to expand out-of-state, too.

slickdawg
09-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Considering we were coming off the LT imposed Croom Death Penalty, I'm surprised we got anyone that could remotely coach.

Homedawg
09-18-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not going to argue- just going on what a friend of Strick's told me

And by "no thanks" I mean to an interview- I'm not saying we offered him the job

Ok. I misunderstood. I was saying he was never getting the job.

Homedawg
09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Mullen has lost the bravado he had his first 2 years here which makes it appear like he has lost some of the fire he had in 2009 and 2010.
However, Mullen's weakness has been recruiting, his 2010 and 2011 classes were terrible, and he has really struggled attracting big time OL, WR's, and QB's. Freeze's instant success landing blue chips at virtually every position has made the spotlight burn that much brighter on Mullen's achilles heel, recruiting!!! Having dead weight like Hevesy and Sallach on staff does not help attract players either.

Jocks and Joe's, not the X and O's win games in the SEC. Just not sure Mullen can land enough X and O's to survive. The loss to a rebuilding Auburn team struck quite the blow to our program. If we can't beat a bad Auburn team, who can we beat outside of Kentucky????????????

While it doesn't look a pretty on paper, I have to say we have done a good job evaluating. I say that because I think this is our most talented team ever here 1-85. Problem is ourosy talented guys are younger. But we aren't void of talent. And in years past once you got past 22 it was a struggle. I truly believe, we have good talent in most spots- just inexperienced in some spots. Time will tell.

hells bells
09-18-2013, 10:05 PM
While it doesn't look a pretty on paper, I have to say we have done a good job evaluating. I say that because I think this is our most talented team ever here 1-85. Problem is ourosy talented guys are younger. But we aren't void of talent. And in years past once you got past 22 it was a struggle. I truly believe, we have good talent in most spots- just inexperienced in some spots. Time will tell.

Yes, Dan has been a good hire. Ticket sales, expansion with DWS and the Practice Facility are all very good. The talent level is very good but young. Recruitment should continue to improve, and yes getting several big'uns would be nice. 2014 class shapping up nice. Our loyal fan base is strong with support, the new bees are clueless and spineless. For them, grow a set. Been to the Maine game and Atlanta for the big dance with Jackie. Dawg for life and damn proud of where we are.

RougeDawg
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
This is ridiculous-Mullen, as most coaches, has a huge damn ego. I can assure you he hates losing just as much as the rest of us.

He's not sitting in his office watching funny youtube videos each day to pass the time

I'm not saying he's been ****ing off but there's clearly a difference in his original "balls to the wall intensity" versus his current "coaching not to lose" bulllshit we have been seeing. One we get a lead, our play calling changes, we stop running whats been working, and we try to run out the clock and hope the other team doesn't go ahead. He used to have a killer instinct. I don't see that anymore. He looks as is he's scared to ****up and lose as opposed to his first couple years, when foot didnt come off throttle until final whistle. Where did his killer instinct go?

Political Hack
09-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Ennis, I know you know... but I didn't hear it first hand so I didn't want state it as being definitive and coming from me.

CDM has been a great hire. Probably the best hire we've ever made for the football program.

Todd4State
09-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Well, we hired the OC from the National Champion. I thought it was a good hire. The thing about Hud at that time was the only D-I experience he had was as the OC for Navy and they went 0-11. Now that Hud has won in the Sun Belt- he is a better candidate than he was in 2009.

SPMT
09-18-2013, 11:18 PM

And a lot of us do similar for less mobey

SPMT
09-18-2013, 11:19 PM

And a lot of us do similar for less money.

Suck it up danny!

T-Dogg
09-19-2013, 06:32 AM
He's the one hat gets paid millions.

Coach 57
09-19-2013, 07:31 AM
If any of you guys say we made the wrong hire you just have NO clue. Dan is for sure the best hire not only at the time but as Hack said the best hire arguably ever for MSU football. To tank on him right now is atrocious! I told you guys not to judge him on thus year WAY before the season started. Calm down we'll be right back to a NYD bowl after this year I assure you.

DownwardDawg
09-19-2013, 07:50 AM
If any of you guys say we made the wrong hire you just have NO clue. Dan is for sure the best hire not only at the time but as Hack said the best hire arguably ever for MSU football. To tank on him right now is atrocious! I told you guys not to judge him on thus year WAY before the season started. Calm down we'll be right back to a NYD bowl after this year I assure you.

I hope your right. I've backed off the cliff a little. I want him to succeed. I want him to at least finish 5-7. 6-6 would be great at this point and quite an accomplishment. Next year I expect 8-4. I want 8-4 every year. I'm gonna try to stop bitching about Mullen but I just think Hud is a far better fit for MSU.
Best case scenario, we finish 6-6 this year, 8-4 next year and Mullen takes a "better job" and Hud comes home.

Bo Darville
09-19-2013, 08:15 AM

For a minute I thought you were talking about me as a small business owner. Then I realized you said only 65 hours per week.

smootness
09-19-2013, 08:24 AM
For a minute I thought you were talking about me as a small business owner. Then I realized you said only 65 hours per week.

Why do people keep saying this?

He didn't say college football coaches work harder than everybody else. He said they aren't lazy. I would assume you don't think you're lazy, so no one should think the same of Mullen.

Bo Darville
09-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Why do people keep saying this?

He didn't say college football coaches work harder than everybody else. He said they aren't lazy. I would assume you don't think you're lazy, so no one should think the same of Mullen.

I guess I'm confused. I never said Mullen, or any other coach/person, was lazy. Not sure how you got that out of my post.

CJDAWG85
09-19-2013, 08:33 AM

This.

drunkernhelldawg
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
I agree with not talking about changing coaches at this time, but the supporting arguments for CDM are not impressive. How many hours a week he works is an argument for keeping him? More people coming out with that he's our best coach ever? This is "the most talent we've ever had"? Come on man. Stomping that fire will only make it bigger. Just let it die.

smootness
09-19-2013, 08:44 AM
I was just responding in general to the several people who tried to downplay what Coach was saying.

His original post was in response to the question, is Mullen lazy? So responding by saying, oh whoopdee doo, he gets paid a lot and I do just as much, makes it seem like you disagree with Coach, which would mean you think Mullen is lazy.

drunkernhelldawg
09-19-2013, 08:46 AM

You are totally carried away. Soldier on.

smootness
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
How many hours a week he works is an argument for keeping him?

Again, this wasn't the argument. That was the response to, is he lazy? And that question is absurd.

bocfarm
09-19-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm not saying he's been ****ing off but there's clearly a difference in his original "balls to the wall intensity" versus his current "coaching not to lose" bulllshit we have been seeing. One we get a lead, our play calling changes, we stop running whats been working, and we try to run out the clock and hope the other team doesn't go ahead. He used to have a killer instinct. I don't see that anymore. He looks as is he's scared to ****up and lose as opposed to his first couple years, when foot didnt come off throttle until final whistle. Where did his killer instinct go?

Does he live next door to Stansbury on the Lake?

SignalToNoise
09-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Well I have been reading message boards for years and keep up with all the rumors and such, but this is the first I've seen of the Hud being offered but Mullen actually getting the job.

How did I miss that? Or has it just been kept quiet all these years?

smootness
09-19-2013, 09:02 AM
I think you misunderstood to some degree.

I think they're saying Byrne almost offered Hud the job, but gave Mullen a deadline, and Mullen took it.

And that Byrne made the decision to bring Hud on as an assistant, not Mullen.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Well I have been reading message boards for years and keep up with all the rumors and such, but this is the first I've seen of the Hud being offered but Mullen actually getting the job.

How did I miss that? Or has it just been kept quiet all these years?

it's been kept quiet and was largely blamed as the reason why CDM and Hud didn't work well together. Hud was put on he staff by the Ath Dept. He wasn't hired by Dan.

Political Hack
09-19-2013, 09:04 AM
that's my understanding Smootness, but Hud was hired before Dan.

SignalToNoise
09-19-2013, 09:06 AM

I think they're saying Byrne almost offered Hud the job, but gave Mullen a deadline, and Mullen took it.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I always wondered how Hud ended up on the staff because I know he and Mullen had no connection. Everything really makes sense now knowing all this.

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-19-2013, 09:30 AM

This is right

C222
09-19-2013, 09:35 AM

I wish all of our fan base thought this way. Like C34 said, he's had the best 4 years of ANY coach we've ever hired. Give the man some time to continue building. Good lord we have some terrible fans.

Dawgface
09-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Hope you are right. But almost sounds like the typical 'just wait until next year' motto.