PDA

View Full Version : McElroy and Luginbill ranked Fitz nationally this morning

Bdawg
08-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Greg had Fitz at #8 while Tom had him #6. They were both very positive on Fitz's upside and how well Mullen finds and develops QBs. Greg called Fitz a freak athlete with more upside than Dak!!!

Pollodawg
08-11-2017, 07:43 AM
I want to believe it. I do, but........

Dawgtini
08-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Jeremy Johnson though .....
Great to hear but just hard to get too excited based on the poor track record of so many. That said, I believe that Fitz will do well and there is the potential for him to really blow past the next level in his development.

Howboutdemdogs
08-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Fritz will have a great year, but he will have a fantastic year if AW can open up the running game and the receivers step up. The OL has to perform at a higher level on pass blocking too. Then and only then will his talent and ability truly shine.

MetEdDawg
08-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Fritz will have a great year, but he will have a fantastic year if AW can open up the running game and the receivers step up. The OL has to perform at a higher level on pass blocking too. Then and only then will his talent and ability truly shine.

Yeah but I just wonder if the WRs hold him back this year. I think our run game will be fine this year, the question is can we be good enough at WR to allow Fitz to do what he needs to do in the passing game to back teams off of us? If I were a DC, I would man us up on the outside and put 7-8 in the box, blitz, crash, whatever to disrupt the run game and our timing passing and dare us to throw it and make plays.

It's been like this every year it seems, but if we pull the lid off of defenses, our offense will be virtually unstoppable. We've got to be able to connect on 4-6 15+ yard THROWS per game. Not catch and runs that end up over 15 yards, but throws that travel 15 yards and are completed. We need to be able to complete deep outs, posts, and verticals down the field to get folks off of us.

Bdawg
08-11-2017, 09:10 AM
I think all these things mentioned are definitely question marks on how well our season goes, but that's not what they were discussing this morning. They were purely ranking the QBs. They also said "Dont give me stats" like passing or rushing yards too because those type stats are very misleading. Completion percentage, red zone efficiency and being able read the defense and take what they give you should be some of the major factors determining how good your QB really is. Not sure what they think about our team but they do like our QB.

JoseBrown
08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Leading up to 2014 McElroy was pushing Dak as a potential Heisman candidate, jus sayin...also, team to win 9-11, I believe.

Pollodawg
08-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Yeah but I just wonder if the WRs hold him back this year. I think our run game will be fine this year, the question is can we be good enough at WR to allow Fitz to do what he needs to do in the passing game to back teams off of us? If I were a DC, I would man us up on the outside and put 7-8 in the box, blitz, crash, whatever to disrupt the run game and our timing passing and dare us to throw it and make plays.

It's been like this every year it seems, but if we pull the lid off of defenses, our offense will be virtually unstoppable. We've got to be able to connect on 4-6 15+ yard THROWS per game. Not catch and runs that end up over 15 yards, but throws that travel 15 yards and are completed. We need to be able to complete deep outs, posts, and verticals down the field to get folks off of us.

Exactly. I fear that mediocre wideout play will curtail what could be a great year for Fitz.

BrunswickDawg
08-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Leading up to 2014 McElroy was pushing Dak as a potential Heisman candidate, jus sayin...also, team to win 9-11, I believe.

You are correct - McElroy was the only one who saw what we had coming.

One thing you can always count on - MSU induced PTSD will always keep a segment of our fan base not believing that we have the players and talent to step up and compete. You have 2 of the more respected analysts in CFB saying we have a Top 8 QB and the Eeyores come out with their "but, but, but...."

thf24
08-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Great to hear but just hard to get too excited based on the poor track record of so many. That said, I believe that Fitz will do well and there is the potential for him to really blow past the next level in his development.

Why are are you comparing Jeremy Johnson to Fitz? Did Johnson put up 37 touchdowns and over 3,000 yards of offense the year before his preseason Heisman campaign? It's fair to hold some doubt against his supporting cast at this point, but I don't understand all the skepticism for Fitz from our own fans right now. He showed he's got all the tools last year, and he's only going to get better.

Pollodawg
08-11-2017, 09:26 AM
You are correct - McElroy was the only one who saw what we had coming.

One thing you can always count on - MSU induced PTSD will always keep a segment of our fan base not believing that we have the players and talent to step up and compete. You have 2 of the more respected analysts in CFB saying we have a Top 8 QB and the Eeyores come out with their "but, but, but...."

Not being an Eeyore necessarily. I just call the WR situation like I see it. Fitz would have been even better last season by a game if Ross hadn't dropped an NFL throw in the endzone in Provo.

Hasu Dackds
08-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Fitzgerald has always had more upside than Dak. You're just now figuring this out? Compare their sophomore seasons.

I don't know that Fitzgerald will be an NFL quarterback, though. He may have to move to wide receiver similar to the QB at Arkansas about 10 years ago, Matt Jones maybe?

Pollodawg
08-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Why are are you comparing Jeremy Johnson to Fitz? Did Johnson put up 37 touchdowns and over 3,000 yards of offense the year before his preseason Heisman campaign? It's fair to hold some doubt against his supporting cast at this point, but I don't understand all the skepticism for Fitz from our own fans right now. He showed he's got all the tools last year, and he's only going to get better.

He's comparing the HYPE surrounding Johnson circa 2015 to the hype surrounding Fitz and explaining that these media dudes aint always got it figured out.

thf24
08-11-2017, 09:33 AM
He's comparing the HYPE surrounding Johnson circa 2015 to the hype surrounding Fitz and explaining that these media dudes aint always got it figured out.

I realize that, but the hype around Johnson was almost completely empty. At least with Fitz they have something to base it on.

MetEdDawg
08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
I realize that, but the hype around Johnson was almost completely empty. At least with Fitz they have something to base it on.

This. Jeremy Johnson had literally done nothing except play a game and a quarter against terrible competition. Fitz has at least proven some of his potential already. Has 6 wins on his record and I would bet he has another 16-18 by the time he's done at MSU.

Pollodawg
08-11-2017, 09:44 AM

I aint arguing that point at all. Johnson was horrible.

BrunswickDawg
08-11-2017, 09:51 AM
This. Jeremy Johnson had literally done nothing except play a game and a quarter against terrible competition. Fitz has at least proven some of his potential already. Has 6 wins on his record and I would bet he has another 16-18 by the time he's done at MSU.

7 - you forgot the Troy game where Dak was sick, started and got a TD on the first drive then Fitz led us for 3 + quarters before handing it off to Staley for a couple of series.

PassInterference
08-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Dak had a few good receivers to play with.

DownwardDawg
08-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I laughed at that comparison too. Terrible comparison.

MetEdDawg
08-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Good catch. Does Dak technically get the win for that on his career because he started? Either way, Fitz was the main offensive weapon that game so I would agree that he should get credit for it.

preachermatt83
08-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Great post all around.

Dawgtini
08-11-2017, 12:31 PM

This is the point. I could've picked from a plethora of LSU and AU QB's. It's the hype. I said clearly that I believe Fitz has the potential to far exceed what many would consider his "next step". We will just have to see. I like that McElroy is on the Fitz train, but when he was being so effusive about Dak, McElroy had spent some time on campus watching practice and was clearly blown away. I in no way was comparing Fitz to Jeremy as a player. Heck, there are a lot of folks picking us as a dark-horse for the west now....also seems eerily like 2014. My plan is to soak it all up, be over-joyed that we are getting the good pub and then watching to see it materialize on the field. If all of the "IF" positions on the offense improve, and the D can be at least a top 50 D, there will be a whole lot more people jumping on the MSU/Fitz train come October.

RougeDawg
08-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Fitzgerald has always had more upside than Dak. You're just now figuring this out? Compare their sophomore seasons.

I don't know that Fitzgerald will be an NFL quarterback, though. He may have to move to wide receiver similar to the QB at Arkansas about 10 years ago, Matt Jones maybe?

Spot on. Fitz is at this point better than Dak was at this point in their careers, without doubt. No question. Plus we have the most talented team "on paper" than we've ever had, including 2014. I just don't understand the pessimism of everyone around here.

Sure some of us saw the potential in Dak in 2013 but it really still was an unknown. Fitz is a known and everyone around here acts like the guy might be ok this season.

The reason Fitz and the team struggled early last year was because of locker room drama and a team divided on QB's. Part of that was on Fitz and most of it was on Dan. Stevie Wonder knew who the best QB was and Dan could have handled it differently.

Bottom line is, we are much better at QB and overall as a team right now than in August of 2014. So why are most people predicting 6-7 wins? 7 should be minimum based on what we have and who we play. That includes losing one you shouldn't have. 8 should be fairly easy and 9-10 are not really far fetched.

I and some others predicted the LSU win in 14 that propelled us to the run that year. If we can do that again, it could easily a similar run with eveyone coming back in 18. Maybe it the old msu woe is me attitude to lower expectations, but I like to see the potential and hope that prior player developements predicts future player developments.

thf24
08-11-2017, 12:51 PM
If Mullen utilizes our depth and talent at tight end, I think we've got enough solid WR's to be fine. Thin, yes, and an injury could cause problems unless one of the young guys steps up. But this group, as deficient as we think it is, is undeniably better than our group plus Marcus Green in 2010, and Mullen still managed to put a functional offense on the field that year.

RougeDawg
08-11-2017, 12:58 PM
If Mullen utilizes our depth and talent at tight end, I think we've got enough solid WR's to be fine. Thin, yes, and an injury could cause problems unless one of the young guys steps up. But this group, as deficient as we think it is, is undeniably better than our group plus Marcus Green in 2010, and Mullen still managed to put a functional offense on the field that year.

And let's not forget pouty Fred Ross last season until about the 7-8th game because his boy DWil wasn't playing QB. Fred's play last year and attitude cost him a lot of money. He dropped a ton of balls that hit his hands. If he had played up to his potential we probably would've won 2-3 more games (USA, UK, BYU).

Hell FR started a fight as the team was trying to pack up and leave for Lexington last year because of QB situation.

Bodaski
08-11-2017, 01:12 PM

I'm buying in on Fitz and here's why. Under Mullen, we've never had a QB not progress yearly. Fitz is a better athlete than Dak IMO.

shannondawg
08-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Forgive me, but I just don't have faith in players evaluations, after having to hear for 4 years how iJ Ready was just a hindrance to our hoops program.

Commercecomet24
08-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Spot on. Fitz is at this point better than Dak was at this point in their careers, without doubt. No question. Plus we have the most talented team "on paper" than we've ever had, including 2014. I just don't understand the pessimism of everyone around here.

Sure some of us saw the potential in Dak in 2013 but it really still was an unknown. Fitz is a known and everyone around here acts like the guy might be ok this season.

The reason Fitz and the team struggled early last year was because of locker room drama and a team divided on QB's. Part of that was on Fitz and most of it was on Dan. Stevie Wonder knew who the best QB was and Dan could have handled it differently.

Bottom line is, we are much better at QB and overall as a team right now than in August of 2014. So why are most people predicting 6-7 wins? 7 should be minimum based on what we have and who we play. That includes losing one you shouldn't have. 8 should be fairly easy and 9-10 are not really far fetched.

I and some others predicted the LSU win in 14 that propelled us to the run that year. If we can do that again, it could easily a similar run with eveyone coming back in 18. Maybe it the old msu woe is me attitude to lower expectations, but I like to see the potential and hope that prior player developements predicts future player developments.

Very good analysis.

TrapGame
08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

A-freakin'-men!!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Lord McBuckethead
08-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Unlike Johnson, Fitz actually led the SEC in offensive yards, correct?

Sacrifice
08-11-2017, 04:14 PM
I think Fitz is gonna put up a good bit more passing yards this season than last year. I know most of the receivers are new but there were a hell of a lot of drops last year by our receivers. It got so bad a one point, I was actullay wondering if the rec we're trying to sabotage him for Williams

RougeDawg
08-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Very good analysis.

Appreciate ya.

Honestly only the auburn and bam games look like long shot wins for us this year. The rest of them we can win and have at least a 50/50 in all of them. I really think we take LSU down this year. Their QB situation and playing at home puts us over the top. Bama and Barn are the two I think will be huge upsets.

RougeDawg
08-11-2017, 05:13 PM
A-freakin'-men!!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Appreciate ya.

IMissJack
08-11-2017, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;786505]You are correct - McElroy was the only one who saw what we had coming.QUOTE]

Not the only one. In the 2013 Egg Bowl that Dak came off the bench to win, Jessie Palmer said he was a dark horse for the Heisman in 2014.

BrunswickDawg
08-11-2017, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;786505]You are correct - McElroy was the only one who saw what we had coming.QUOTE]

Not the only one. In the 2013 Egg Bowl that Dak came off the bench to win, Jessie Palmer said he was a dark horse for the Heisman in 2014.
I forgot about Ole 4th and 57. He was high on Dak early.