PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Personnel

stalkingpoon
08-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Who do you think our starting 11 will be on defense? I'm eager to see how Grantham and Co. have these guys ready to play! Who do you think is poised to have a breakout or standout year?

AlmostPositive
08-10-2017, 08:42 AM
I don't know which 11 will take the field first, but outside of cornerbacks, we should have an above average SEC defense.

stalkingpoon
08-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Which positions will Abrams and Cole play?

Tbonewannabe
08-10-2017, 08:47 AM
The Defensive side is where most of our starters will be 4 and 5 star players. Our DLine and LBs will be upper tier in the SEC, if our DBs can just be average then we might have a very good defense. If our offense can grind out and eat some clock then our D can stay fresh and attack. Saftey has a lot of talent so if our corners develop then we might have one of the better Ds in the SEC.

Tbonewannabe
08-10-2017, 08:49 AM

I think Abrams is at strong safety and cole is at corner. Abrams has Nickoe tendencies which our safeties were lacking last year.

starkvegasdawg
08-10-2017, 08:57 AM
I think Abrams is at strong safety and cole is at corner. Abrams has Nickoe tendencies which our safeties were lacking last year.

Spring game confirmed that.

stalkingpoon
08-10-2017, 08:58 AM
The Defensive side is where most of our starters will be 4 and 5 star players. Our DLine and LBs will be upper tier in the SEC, if our DBs can just be average then we might have a very good defense. If our offense can grind out and eat some clock then our D can stay fresh and attack. Saftey has a lot of talent so if our corners develop then we might have one of the better Ds in the SEC.

I'm hoping that translate into more negative plays for the opposing offense. I think our sacks and TFLs were down last year compared to the past few years.

Lord McBuckethead
08-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Hope Abrams is ready to skirt the line when it comes to getting ejected from games like Nickoe. We need someone that is prepared to bring the heat, just slightly less hot than the rules will allow.

Homedawg
08-10-2017, 12:27 PM

abrams safety and cole is redshirting

Todd4State
08-10-2017, 01:13 PM
I'll give it a shot.

DE- Rivers
NT- Cory Thomas
DE- Simmons

OLB- Green
ILB- Student athlete 39
ILB- Dez
OLB- Jung

CB- Should be Peters will be Cleveland
CB- Should be Dantzler will be Durr

S- Abrams
S- Bryant

Nickle- Smitherman

Homedawg
08-10-2017, 01:55 PM
I'll give it a shot.

DE- Rivers
NT- Cory Thomas
DE- Simmons

OLB- Green
ILB- Student athlete 39
ILB- Dez
OLB- Jung

S- Abrams
S- Bryant

Nickle- Smitherman

and it's started already. One scrimmage in, which you know nothing about, and we/you are already saying who should and shouldn't be playing. At least there is one thing consistent, you do it every year.

JimmyMcNulty
08-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Sweat and McClaurin will both start

thf24
08-10-2017, 02:11 PM
I'll give it a shot.

DE- Rivers
NT- Cory Thomas
DE- Simmons

OLB- Green
ILB- Student athlete 39
ILB- Dez
OLB- Jung

S- Abrams
S- Bryant

Nickle- Smitherman

Was Durr really that bad last year? That seems to be the majority opinion, but I don't remember noticing him that much, which is mostly a positive thing for a corner. At worst he couldn't have been bad enough to warrant pre-season replacement by a guy who's yet to play a real down.

Tbonewannabe
08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Sweat and McClaurin will both start

McClaurin was decent last year which is saying something with how bad the secondary played. Everyone has been talking about Sweat probably as a one and done so if that is the case he is going to start probably either in Green's spot or Jung's.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2017, 02:31 PM
McClaurin was decent last year which is saying something with how bad the secondary played. Everyone has been talking about Sweat probably as a one and done so if that is the case he is going to start probably either in Green's spot or Jung's.

Jung won't start. It's Sweat, Green, & Spencer are battling for those spots. We'll play a lot of nickel & Abrams will play in that spot because of his versatility.

Johnson85
08-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Jung won't start. It's Sweat, Green, & Spencer are battling for those spots. We'll play a lot of nickel & Abrams will play in that spot because of his versatility.
So:

DE- Rivers
NT- Cory Thomas
DE- Simmons

OLB- Spencer
ILB- Student athlete 39
ILB- Dez
OLB- Sweat

CB- Cleveland
CB- Peters

S- Abrams
S- Bryant

Nickle- Abrams (with Mclauren taking his place at S)

????

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2017, 02:41 PM
So:

DE- Rivers
NT- Cory Thomas
DE- Simmons

OLB- Spencer
ILB- Student athlete 39
ILB- Dez
OLB- Sweat

CB- Cleveland
CB- Peters

S- Abrams
S- Bryant

Nickle- Abrams (with Mclauren taking his place at S)

????

1st play Sept 2nd I'm expecting

DE - Rivers
NG - Simmons
DE - Thomas
OLB - Green
ILB - Harris
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Sweat
CB - Cleveland
CB - Durr
S - Bryant
S - McLaurin

I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer is in Green place or Peters in Durr place or Abrams in Bryant place but that's what I'm going to go with as of today.

Powersaw
08-10-2017, 02:50 PM
It would be really nice if Sweat and Spencer could provide the consistent pass rush that we've been missing since forever. That would go a long way toward helping our DBs. Also, its time for Gerri Green to step up and be a complete player.

Johnson85
08-10-2017, 03:05 PM
1st play Sept 2nd I'm expecting

DE - Rivers
NG - Simmons
DE - Thomas
OLB - Green
ILB - Harris
ILB - Lewis
OLB - Sweat
CB - Cleveland
CB - Durr
S - Bryant
S - McLaurin

I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer is in Green place or Peters in Durr place or Abrams in Bryant place but that's what I'm going to go with as of today.

So Abrams instead of Bryant because McLaurin has solidified himself as the best safety? Or because McLauin is more of a strong safety and Bryant and Adams are more FS?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2017, 03:17 PM
So Abrams instead of Bryant because McLaurin has solidified himself as the best safety? Or because McLauin is more of a strong safety and Bryant and Adams are more FS?

Bryant & Abrams have been manning 1 safety spot & McLaurin & JT Gray have been the other.