PDA

View Full Version : Mullen helped the Patriots with Offense?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-09-2017, 05:51 PM
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/8/7/16107814/2007-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-randy-moss-wes-welker

The answer ?was one-on-one matchups, getting to get the defense to declare itself,? said Mullen, now the head coach at Mississippi State. ?Once you get the defense to declare as man before the play even happens, for the QB it?s easy.? They can then easily diagnose the coverage and figure where the ball should go.

There were two things within the spread, according to Mullen, that McDaniels was interested in: The first was route combinations over the middle of the field, the second was how to protect the quarterback in an empty set.

If Mullen ever leaves, does he go to the NFL?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-09-2017, 05:58 PM
“The thing about option routes is if I have to coach you on it, you’re not the guy,” Mullen said. “People say, ‘Oh, Wes Welker, great on option routes.’ Well, that’s true. He’s quick, but that’s not why he’s great on option routes. It’s because he and Tom Brady were on the same page, he knew how to take a linebacker, fake one way, set up the fake, then pivot outside.”

Commercecomet24
08-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Yes when Dan was oc at Florida Belichik asked urban to come teach the pats spread concepts and Meyer and Mullen spent quite a bit of time with BB and the pats. I'm a big pats fan and remember when this went down. That's another reason our passing game is very much like the NFL. See Daks success.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Mullen also told McDaniels about how to take advantage of a spread-out defense. “You can use the slot guy to clear linebackers out of the middle of the field and then you bring a vertical option behind Welker,” Mullen said. Meyer’s coaches had been doing it since a stint at Bowling Green, when they had just one talented receiver, and thus had to rely on moving him around within the formation so defenses couldn’t key on him and take him out of the game.

starkvegasdawg
08-09-2017, 06:06 PM
As a Falcon's fan that distresses me greatly.