PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage notes

Ari Gold
08-08-2017, 08:39 PM
This isn't a Q&A thread just some notes....

Fitz looked good. Opening drive about a 40 yard TD pass to Gray.
KT didn't look like a froshmen . better at QB right now than Dak was as a sophomore.
1st team OL was solid. Depth there is an issue. As usual
Gabe had a soild night and word is this is his best training camp yet
Mitchell mad a couple of good catches and one for a TD
Austin Williams may be too good to redshirt.
TE are big and athletic
Kicking game was ok made a couple missed a long one made a long one

Def is night and day compared to last year.
Very aggressive and they are coached very well
Front 7 is legit and the 2nd group doesn't fall off much
Gay would start if Leo wasn't here
Abrams will light you up and is always in the right positions , one coach said smartest guy on Defesne
Simmons is ahead of chris jones also from a coach
Don't be surprised if Rayford plays more , is having a great camp .. and he looked pretty god.

We pass they eye test. On D we are big and fast

This is from the first half only.

Reason2succeed
08-08-2017, 08:44 PM
That's what I want to hear.

JimmyMcNulty
08-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks for sharing. I really think our D is going to surprise some folks

Commercecomet24
08-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Wow if Rayford is playing like a god don't take him off the field lol

Thanks for the report it's good to get some good info on the team! Thank you!

msstate7
08-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Reese is 1st string RT?

bostondawg
08-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info Ari. I too am wondering who is at RT.

Harrydawg
08-08-2017, 08:57 PM
I have wool growth......ordering new razor blades now.

May need a gas powered shaver

TrapGame
08-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Nice. I just grew some wool from that.

Ari Gold
08-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Reese is 1st string RT?

Yes

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 09:08 PM
If what you are saying is true then Key has come a looooonnng way since the spring game.

WSOPdawg
08-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Thanks Ari, really appreciate the update.

Bothrops
08-08-2017, 09:22 PM
This is some stuff I can really get into!!

Beaver
08-08-2017, 09:27 PM
How's the running game look?

CadaverDawg
08-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks, Ari

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Wooly_sheep_front.JPG

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-08-2017, 09:36 PM
We gon hit somebody on defense

Political Hack
08-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Being thin on the OL is concerning but if we could build a great defense that would be huge. We've got to be able to get pressure off the edge and make plays in the secondary.

Jack Lambert
08-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Simmons will not make many tackles but he will make it so that LB will rack them up. No way one o lineman will be able to block him.

Ari Gold
08-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Being thin on the OL is concerning but if we could build a great defense that would be huge. We've got to be able to get pressure off the edge and make plays in the secondary.

Our defense will make our OL much better

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Our defense will make our OL much better

Maybe we should switch some defensive linemen over there. I'm not being serious. But it's probably not a horrible idea.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Is there a level beyond "wooly"? I say yes...
http://i.imgur.com/SKlqC.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/SiUIIdSKuCN1e/giphy.gif

bostondawg
08-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Any more/different thoughts based on the second half Ari?

Mobile Bay
08-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Simmons will not make many tackles but he will make it so that LB will rack them up. No way one o lineman will be able to block him.

That is the Dline's real job. I played nose guard and my only real purpose was to be fat, not move, and make a mess. As long as my opponents couldn't run between the guards, my coach was happy.

PassInterference
08-08-2017, 11:12 PM
I won't believe any defense hype until I see it. Cleveland and Rayford sorry me. So do a lot of other guys.

Our WRs worry me. Croom had a better group.

This team has a lot to prove.

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 11:36 PM
I won't believe any defense hype until I see it. Cleveland and Rayford sorry me. So do a lot of other guys.

I think Peters and Dantzler should start over Cleveland and Durr.

Agree about WR's.

Reason2succeed
08-09-2017, 03:14 AM
How was the execution? We're plays being made by the offense and defense because of the other side's mistakes or was it really making a play?

Dawgfan77
08-09-2017, 06:03 AM

Dan won 9 games with Relph at QB and bumphis Clark and smith were our best WRs. I'm not to concerned with WR. This group is equal to that 09 and 10 group

Johnson85
08-09-2017, 07:01 AM

What group did Croom have that was as good or better than this group? We are lacking at Wr, but we really just need a number 1 on the outside. Gray, mixon, and Myles (assuming he has recovered) are all solid if you pair them with a number 1. That's more than I can remember saying for any of crooks groups.

Howboutdemdogs
08-09-2017, 07:28 AM
From this read,,,,,it is so encouraging and the season can't get here fast enough.

Ari Gold
08-09-2017, 07:28 AM
What group did Croom have that was as good or better than this group? We are lacking at Wr, but we really just need a number 1 on the outside. Gray, mixon, and Myles (assuming he has recovered) are all solid if you pair them with a number 1. That's more than I can remember saying for any of crooks groups.

Exacatly.. Yes that one big time outside guy would be great.. DGary would start for every other SEC as at least the #3 guy and who's to say that one or two more guys wont step up this year. Couch played as a true freshman he will be better. DThomas is a very good back up to Mixon at the slot. Jesse Jackson is Finally healthy and word is having a good camp.
Todd still raw can help out as well.
Plus we have some TE we have to get on the field that can fill this role .

Ari Gold
08-09-2017, 07:31 AM
How was the execution? We're plays being made by the offense and defense because of the other side's mistakes or was it really making a play?

I don't have the film , but there weren't many penalties ( and SEC crew was there calling)
No turnovers first half. I don't know about second half
Guys were making plays on both sides of the ball.

Martianlander
08-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Thanks very much Ari.

FISHDAWG
08-09-2017, 07:52 AM
thanks ... good report that covered all of the scope

TrapGame
08-09-2017, 07:53 AM

We need to start drug testing on this board.**

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-09-2017, 09:05 AM
I think Peters and Dantzler should start over Cleveland and Durr.

Agree about WR's.

I just don't get the Jamal Peters love at CB - he got beat big at least once in every game...UMASS, A&M, Miami OH...I doubt he ever makes an impact for us bc he is a tweener. He's should've been a dominant OLB, but he's a Jr. now...I hope I'm wrong.

War Machine Dawg
08-09-2017, 09:29 AM
I'm gonna need some shears.
http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article6371877.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Australian-wooly-sheep-shorn-of-record-breaking-fleece.jpg

bostondawg
08-09-2017, 10:00 AM
I just don't get the Jamal Peters love at CB - he got beat big at least once in every game...UMASS, A&M, Miami OH...I doubt he ever makes an impact for us bc he is a tweener. He's should've been a dominant OLB, but he's a Jr. now...I hope I'm wrong.

If his technique can get there, he can dominate at corner. He's enormous. His arms are long as hell. Soft hands. Guy might be able to play receiver for us right now, given his tendency for over-the-shoulder picks (see: Egg Bowl, and he had one in the spring game).

Homedawg
08-09-2017, 10:05 AM

^this. One good play against ole miss, which he was beat on has him as a world beater. I'd love for him to prove me wrong. But as of TODAY, he's not an sec corner.

Political Hack
08-09-2017, 10:11 AM
^this. One good play against ole miss, which he was beat on has him as a world beater. I'd love for him to prove me wrong. But as of TODAY, he's not an sec corner.

His talent level is obvious to everyone. He's a freak. He just has to get his technique down and eliminate busted plays. If that happens, he could go from a boom or bust type corner to a lock down guy. Personally I'd love to see him at S, but giving him time to settle in and get reps at a single spot is probably the most important thing for his development right now.

Ari Gold
08-09-2017, 10:13 AM

He will be fine against bigger outside WR , the slot guys and smaller WR are the ones that will give him Trouble . That's not my take . Straight from the ones that know ..

Johnson85
08-09-2017, 10:17 AM

He still hasn't spent a lot of time at CB and he did make some plays. I think because he's not prototypical size he's never going to be a shutdown corner, but I would not be surprised to see him be pretty good this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if what we saw last year is basically waht he is, a guy that is athletic enough to make some plays but as a guy playing out of position, that is subject to getting burnt.

GTHOM
08-09-2017, 10:22 AM
All that almost sounds too good to be true

Brahmabull
08-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Peters is out of position. He doesn't have the hips to be a top level SEC corner. As previously said, he will be ok versus big receivers, but guys who can really move quickly will give him trouble.

Todd4State
08-09-2017, 11:08 AM

And Tolando who the MSU media loves hasn't been beat at some point? That's part of the nature of the position. He's extremely athletic and just needs to get some experience playing CB. Once he gets that he will get beat less. I think the NFL is going to love his size as a CB.

thf24
08-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm curious to know, how in particular has Rayford improved? I may remember wrong but it seemed to me like his worst plays last year were mostly a lack of SEC athleticism. I definitely remember a few where he was in position but was simply outrun much closer to the line of scrimmage than speed usually comes into play.

KB21
08-09-2017, 11:42 AM
He will be fine against bigger outside WR , the slot guys and smaller WR are the ones that will give him Trouble . That's not my take . Straight from the ones that know ..

The majority of your bigger corners have problems with the slot type receivers who are more quick in and out of their breaks than they are fast. The NFL is going to bigger corners though because most teams are running press style aggressive coverage schemes. TBuck has even compared Jamal to Xavier Rhodes, who was a 1st round pick of the Vikings and played at Florida State.

Here's the thing with Jamal. He's still a novice at the corner position. He was just starting to figure some things out when the season ended. He will likely figure it out at some point this season. Right now, he's not quite ready, but when he is ready, he has 1st round talent. He's physical. He's fast. He's got ball skills. There are nuances to playing the position that he hasn't figured out yet but they will come. I have very little doubt that Jamal is going to be one of the stars on the defense by the end of the year.

Tripp McNeely
08-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Peters needs to play a very similar role that Minkah Fitzpatrick plays in Bama's defense. They're more similar players than you'd think.

Dawg61
08-09-2017, 11:48 AM
If what you are saying is true then Key has come a looooonnng way since the spring game.

Spring game is worth about as much as the first fall baseball scrimmage. I heard Rooker struck out once in a fall scrimmage too.

Ari Gold
08-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Spring game is worth about as much as the first fall baseball scrimmage. I heard Rooker struck out once in a fall scrimmage too.

Exactly..

dawgman15
08-09-2017, 12:16 PM
I've heard that Kylin Hill ran very had last night and that Reggie Todd snagged one and took it to the house.

BB30
08-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Peters will be fine, we have needed a bigger corner that can handle big physical receivers. Also, having his versatility and size on the field will help with some of our schemes.

Todd4State
08-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Yeah but Brent Rooker didn't go from redshirt Brent Rooker to RS sophomore level between the fall and spring his true freshman year. I just said he made a huge jump if that's true. It's possible but I have to see it to believe it.

TXDawg
08-09-2017, 12:46 PM
The thing that frustrated me about Peters last year is that when he would get beaten, he had a tendency to play the WR instead of playing the ball. He finally seemed to figure it out later in the season and ended up with a great INT in the Egg Bowl. If he can keep that up (find the ball and make a play on it), I think he'll end up doing fine this year.

Dawg61
08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Yeah but Brent Rooker didn't go from redshirt Brent Rooker to RS sophomore level between the fall and spring his true freshman year. I just said he made a huge jump if that's true. It's possible but I have to see it to believe it.

Alright well consider me in the doubting KT is better than RS sophomore and Egg Bowl winning Dak Prescott right now too but I am rooting for him to be.

preachermatt83
08-09-2017, 01:24 PM
I've heard that our receivers are having a great camp. Looking much better than expected. Supposedly Myles is having an unbelievable camp.

Homedawg
08-09-2017, 01:28 PM
I've heard that our receivers are having a great camp. Looking much better than expected. Supposedly Myles is having an unbelievable camp.

We have 5 receivers that are ready to go per a very very good source. Myles, gray, Jackson, mixon, and Thomas. Waiting for one of the big ones to step up and take the 6th spot.

TrapGame
08-09-2017, 01:38 PM

Now that is what I want to here.

preachermatt83
08-09-2017, 01:51 PM
We have 5 receivers that are ready to go per a very very good source. Myles, gray, Jackson, mixon, and Thomas. Waiting for one of the big ones to step up and take the 6th spot.

Exactly what I heard as well. Coach or Todd have to step up. Todd has all the hands he just has to become better at other parts of the game.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2017, 01:53 PM

That's good news and hopefully one of the big guys will step up and be the 6th one. Really need couch or Todd to step up.

Todd4State
08-09-2017, 02:20 PM
It sounds like Austin Williams might be a wild card to step up into the big receiver role.

We're going to be very solid at outside WR in a year with Jackson, Couch, Todd, Heath who I think could start as a freshman, and Williams.

I hope Patterson qualifies because he could be awesome in the slot along with Nero Nelson.

Dental Dawg33
08-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Boy I'm getting excited about some football

BulldogDX55
08-09-2017, 02:56 PM
It sounds like Austin Williams might be a wild card to step up into the big receiver role.

We're going to be very solid at outside WR in a year with Jackson, Couch, Todd, Heath who I think could start as a freshman, and Williams.

I hope Patterson qualifies because he could be awesome in the slot along with Nero Nelson.

The report on 24/7 said that Osirus Mitchell could be a part of that, too.

Prentis
08-09-2017, 02:58 PM
How is Orius"?" Mitchell progressing? He can also be one of the bigs to step up.

Todd4State
08-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Very true. I have a feeling by mid season at least one of those guys will step up and be reliable on the outside for us.

Johnson85
08-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Translation: Our solid receivers who we thought were solid, are solid, and look really good against our questionable DBs who we thought were questionable, and are in fact questionable.

Pollodawg
08-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Translation: Our solid receivers who we thought were solid, are solid, and look really good against our questionable DBs who we thought were questionable, and are in fact questionable.

Yup.

basedog
08-09-2017, 03:37 PM
It's practice, young players should improve, experience is a great thing.

We have some guys who should step up this year, wr is my list concern, plus our tight ends will play a big part this year not only in the passing game but in the run game.

TrapGame
08-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Could be our WRs are better than some folks around here thought they would be.

dawgman15
08-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Could be our WRs are better than some folks around here thought they would be.

Or it could be that we had the worst secondary in the SEC last season

TrapGame
08-09-2017, 03:51 PM

New DC. It's not last year.

Ari Gold
08-09-2017, 04:02 PM

Nope .. and the worse this year is about 90 miles north..

msstate7
08-09-2017, 04:51 PM

Lol... johnson not feeling it this year

Covercorner2
08-09-2017, 04:58 PM

Isn't Jackson a "big" receiver?

GTHOM
08-09-2017, 07:21 PM
The DBs will be fine. We are the best there we have been in a few years. Dantzler is damn good. Hes made noise since he got here

GTHOM
08-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Isn't Jackson a "big" receiver?

Not really hes averaged sized. Hes a gamer though

vv83
08-09-2017, 07:28 PM

So what was the knock on Mitchell coming out of HS? I remember he was a low 3 star but damn the guy has Kelvin Benjamin size. Is he just rough around the edges and we think we can polish him out or something physical like speed?