PDA

View Full Version : New Football Series announced with Mustard Buzzards....

RougeDawg
08-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Davis Wade 2019 and 2023, with a trip to the Rock in 2024!

CadaverDawg
08-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Dumb

Reason2succeed
08-08-2017, 07:19 PM
To replace OM DP in 2019

DownwardDawg
08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Good grief. We just can't have nice things.

Harrydawg
08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
I like it and I like the timing. If we can't dominate them in the next several years (while Um is out of the recruiting pic) - shame on us.......

I'd rather play them than Tech.........it just means more

NCDawg
08-08-2017, 07:36 PM
I like it and I like the timing. If we can't dominate them in the next several years (while Um is out of the recruiting pic) - shame on us.......

Disagree, I don't think it means more. All it does in build up their program, with the possibility of hurting ours.

BulldogBear
08-08-2017, 07:49 PM

This, and I never get tired of beating those douchebags at anything. At times, they are worse than Ole Miss.

Disagree, I don't think it means more. All it does in build up their program, with the possibility of hurting ours.

Not if we curb stomp them. Plus, this isn't the 80s SEC nor NCAA. It's not all that dissimilar to saying if we play Memphis we'll have to compete with them for North Mississippi recruits or that we'll never get another recruit out of Natchez or Vicksburg if we pay Louisiana Tech.

Reason2succeed
08-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Yep, these are games we absolutely cannot afford to lose. It means everything to USM and only a little to us. The only thing that helps me feel better about it is that we already have KT at QB and Jalen Mayden and Jalon Jones are on the way.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-08-2017, 07:55 PM
The same people worried about potentially losing to USM should never say anything about trying to win the SEC.

Pollodawg
08-08-2017, 08:13 PM
I see no reason we should have to subsidize that dump of a program.

Reason2succeed
08-08-2017, 08:19 PM
The same people worried about potentially losing to USM should never say anything about trying to win the SEC.

Are we also supposed to ignore that we lost to S. Alabama last year?

USM has all the inspiration in the world to beat us because it legitimizes them for a decade. We have little more than state pride invested in the game. All I'm saying is that we better not decide to have an off game versus them or it could cost us.

Ari Gold
08-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Why is this a bad thing? Just something to bitch at...

LC Dawg
08-08-2017, 08:22 PM
If we can't beat them soundly with all our resources we deserve to let their program gain on ours. These games are fun. I've always enjoyed the rivalry.

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm OK with playing them twice every 5-6 years or so. I think we did the right thing by playing them first as opposed to the middle of the season in the 80's. Us playing them doesn't legitimize them anymore than Alabama, LSU, or Kentucky playing them. And we have no reason to be scared of them- they've beaten one SEC team the past 16 years.

I think it helps when we play them and dominate them with recruiting because then they can't say we're scared of them. As it is we have two blow out wins over them with Dak and then two wins over them with Favre. Like someone else said, it's not any different than playing Memphis or UAB.

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Amen.

Lance Harbor
08-08-2017, 08:26 PM
I see no reason we should have to subsidize that dump of a program.

Says the SEC about the Mississippi member schools.

Says the net tax paying states in the U.S. about Mississippi.

#dipshit

Schultzy
08-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Our 9-2 1980 team that was one play away from being SEC Champions (the "Run Lindsey, Run" play screwed us) got beat 42-14 by them in Starkville.

It just means more...to them.

That said, maybe times have changed and we can step up and take care of business like we should and Mullen has been good in those type games. And the game day excitement of the game is better than your average non-conference atmosphere.

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 08:29 PM
And another thing- it will be a big draw at MSU in a year where we play LSU, Bama, and Ole Miss if they aren't on the death penalty at home.

All we need to do is drop Abilene Christian for Jackson State and the schedule will be perfect. Except for playing K-State.

HSVDawg
08-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Facts:

1) Despite all the added $$$ from ESPN, we are still the 2nd smallest athletic budget in the SEC. We don't have the money to pay our HC $5 million, our DC $1.1 million, our basketball coach $2 million, build a brand new $55 million baseball stadium AND play whoever the hell we want all the time in football nonconference games. Something has to give somewhere.
2) The reason why we refused to play USM for so many years after the original series is because they never would give us a 2-for-1 despite the fact that every other CUSA team would do so. That includes the 2014-2015 series when they still wouldn't do it. We have that now.
3) If they are giving us a decent price in the contract, it is a good deal for us. It sure beats overpaying for a UAB or a La Tech to come here twice, or playing a snoozer against JSU or Alcorn that does nothing to challenge and improve our team.

/endrant

FISHDAWG
08-08-2017, 08:37 PM

#dipshit

dead on ... I would rather prop them up than I would Samford, Charleston Southern, North & South Alabama or who ever else ... and IYOK was right - take that chicken shit mentality somewhere else

MetEdDawg
08-08-2017, 08:38 PM
If we have fans concerned about us losing to USM, then we aren't where we need to be as a program.

Ari Gold
08-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Our 9-2 1980 team that was one play away from being SEC Champions (the "Run Lindsey, Run" play screwed us) got beat 42-14 by them in Starkville.

That said, maybe times have changed and we can step up and take care of business like we should and Mullen has been good in those type games. And the game day excitement of the game is better than your average non-conference atmosphere.

That was 19 ****ing 80.
Again it's a 2 for 1... and we don't play them there till when 2024??? Shit a lot can happen in 7 years.

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 09:14 PM

And was that not the case as far as the atmosphere in 2014 and 2015 when we blew out two pretty good by their conference standards USM teams? The 49-0 game wasn't even as close as the score indicated either.

CadaverDawg
08-08-2017, 09:25 PM
I don't like it.

Because I'm scared we'll lose?? Hell no.

I don't like it bc it's a lose/lose for us. It benefits them and only them. If we win by 100, we did what we were supposed to do....they win either way, by playing with us every now & then, and by collecting a check from us. There's a reason Alabama doesn't play UAB imo, and it isn't bc we have football figured out and they don't.

But I'm fine with disagreeing with those of you saying you like it. I just see absolutely zero benefit whatsoever to MSU. It's not like beating them helps recruiting...we out-recruit them anyway. But what if once every 10 times we play them they pull a South Alabama on us.....that's not being scared, that's just real life.....and that small risk alone in conjunction with the fact that we have nothing at all to gain, makes it very simple for me to say it's dumb. Just makes no sense. At least we got a 2 for 1, I guess that's a little less dumb than the home & home

Schultzy
08-08-2017, 09:26 PM
That was 19 ****ing 80.
Again it's a 2 for 1... and we don't play them there till when 2024??? Shit a lot can happen in 7 years.

I'm not as much against it as I was when Byrne re-upped the series and conference re-structuring has negatively affected them tremendously over the last twenty years or so.

My basic point is if we catch a decent USM team, like the one that beat The same Kentucky team we lost to last season, they're gonna treat it like the Super Bowl. We are trading a patsy for a possible loss is all I'm saying; just know that. Especially with our yearly schedule where OOC wins are paramount.

ETA: plus what Cadaver said

Cooterpoot
08-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Stop bitching about easy wins!

Jack Lambert
08-08-2017, 09:42 PM
All I know is Cohen better have secured tickets for us when we go to Hattiesburg if not we need to **** them like they did us. Mother ****ers.

NCDawg
08-08-2017, 10:05 PM

I recall that 1980 game well. It was our homecoming and we got our butts handed to us. We couldn't stop Reggie Collier or Sammy Winder. Maybe times have changed and we can dominate them, but I seem to recall they beat a team we lost to last year, Kentucky.

Maroonthirteen
08-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Facts:

3) If they are giving us a decent price in the contract, it is a good deal for us. It sure beats overpaying for a UAB or a La Tech to come here twice, or playing a snoozer against JSU or Alcorn that does nothing to challenge and improve our team.

/endrant

This! Charleston? Samford? Cmon man! Give me a game vs USM any year of those scrimmages .

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 10:08 PM
I don't like it.

I don't like it bc it's a lose/lose for us. It benefits them and only them. If we win by 100, we did what we were supposed to do....they win either way, by playing with us every now & then, and by collecting a check from us. There's a reason Alabama doesn't play UAB imo, and it isn't bc we have football figured out and they don't.

But I'm fine with disagreeing with those of you saying you like it. I just see absolutely zero benefit whatsoever to MSU. It's not like beating them helps recruiting...we out-recruit them anyway. But what if once every 10 times we play them they pull a South Alabama on us.....that's not being scared, that's just real life.....and that small risk alone in conjunction with the fact that we have nothing at all to gain, makes it very simple for me to say it's dumb. Just makes no sense. At least we got a 2 for 1, I guess that's a little less dumb than the home & home

I think playing them actually had the opposite effect as far as recruiting. By killing them it showed recruits the distance between us and them. And we were seriously competing with them for recruits before 2014- like Brandon Bryant. Not so much since then.

I think the 2014 game was as big for us in the rivalry as the 1980 game was for them because it showed their fans and everyone else the gap between them and the SEC. On the field results speak volumes and took away some of USM's selling points against us.

If we beat someone nine out of ten times I'd say we made our point.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2017, 10:18 PM
I recall that 1980 game well. It was our homecoming and we got our butts handed to us. We couldn't stop Reggie Collier or Sammy Winder. Maybe times have changed and we can dominate them, but I seem to recall they beat a team we lost to last year, Kentucky.

This sure as shit ain't the 80's no more.....We are in a different universe compared to where we were then. Period.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Stop bitching about easy wins!

http://i.imgur.com/si9c3xY.gif

Reason2succeed
08-08-2017, 10:21 PM
All I know is Cohen better have secured tickets for us when we go to Hattiesburg if not we need to **** them like they did us. Mother ****ers.

And put in a Claude that the game can't be at 10pm on a Friday night!!!!

BeardoMSU
08-08-2017, 10:23 PM

That's the ticket!**
https://media.tenor.com/images/d071c3f5d81f07ee6e0029b7ce83eff5/tenor.gif

BulldogBear
08-08-2017, 10:51 PM

So, if it starts at 10pm we put Claude in. Got it. Does he play defense or offense and what middle school does he go to (so, I can scout him out)?

HSVDawg
08-08-2017, 10:56 PM
I don't like it.

Everything you just said applies to every nonconference game we play ever, except for against Power 5 teams. But our fanbase has this pride thing about not wanting to prop up USM in any way, shape, or form. If people would look at them as what they are (a Group of 5 team that is occasionally somewhat competitive but never has and never will be on the level of even a bottom tier SEC school), then it wouldn't be such a big deal. We've played dozens of teams like them over the years, some on the road too. But instead, there's a paranoid obsession that we are "giving them exposure" or "letting them climb the ladder at our expense". It's all completely false....they will never be on our level as a program or anywhere close to it, even if they beat us. Just like UAB won't (and they beat us), and La Tech won't (beat us multiple times), or South Alabama won't (you get the idea).

In the end, it all comes down to money. We can compete with the big boys of the SEC. But we have to do it by spending smarter than they do. I'd much rather put that money in places where that money packs a punch, like facilities upgrades and coaching salary increases. The flip side to that is throwing it away to play some out of state G5 school that is in high demand for everyone in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 to give them a game all because we are too prideful to get a bargain deal on a similar caliber team in-state.

Also, Auburn played Jacksonville State a few years back, so it's not unheard of for other SEC schools to do either.

Mobile Bay
08-08-2017, 11:03 PM
I like this. It spreads our program around the state. Plus the timing is spectacular as it hits that boost right as TCSUN is about to shed their penalties. This boosts us and slams them into the dirt that much longer.

Todd4State
08-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Everything you just said applies to every nonconference game we play ever, except for against Power 5 teams. But our fanbase has this pride thing about not wanting to prop up USM in any way, shape, or form. If people would look at them as what they are (a Group of 5 team that is occasionally somewhat competitive but never has and never will be on the level of even a bottom tier SEC school), then it wouldn't be such a big deal. We've played dozens of teams like them over the years, some on the road too. But instead, there's a paranoid obsession that we are "giving them exposure" or "letting them climb the ladder at our expense". It's all completely false....they will never be on our level as a program or anywhere close to it, even if they beat us. Just like UAB won't (and they beat us), and La Tech won't (beat us multiple times), or South Alabama won't (you get the idea).

In the end, it all comes down to money. We can compete with the big boys of the SEC. But we have to do it by spending smarter than they do. I'd much rather put that money in places where that money packs a punch, like facilities upgrades and coaching salary increases. The flip side to that is throwing it away to play some out of state G5 school that is in high demand for everyone in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 to give them a game all because we are too prideful to get a bargain deal on a similar caliber team in-state.

Also, Auburn played Jacksonville State a few years back, so it's not unheard of for other SEC schools to do either.

I agree. And I don't understand why we play out of state FCS schools. I think it should only be Jackson State, Alcorn, or Valley assuming Valley gets their act together. I would be fine with a FCS school that's coached by a former MSU player to help them out or something like that as well. I'm not sue why we stopped playing JSU and Alcorn for a little while at least. I know Alcorn is coming up on the schedule soon.

BeardoMSU
08-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Everything you just said applies to every nonconference game we play ever, except for against Power 5 teams. But our fanbase has this pride thing about not wanting to prop up USM in any way, shape, or form. If people would look at them as what they are (a Group of 5 team that is occasionally somewhat competitive but never has and never will be on the level of even a bottom tier SEC school), then it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Perfect. Btw, USM lurkers (yeah, ya'll bitches are out there) are slamming their fists down on their Apple II's right now.**

whataburger
08-09-2017, 12:33 AM
Perfect. Btw, USM lurkers (yeah, ya'll bitches are out there) are slamming their fists down on their Apple II's right now.**

Some of us have MacBooks, OK....

Like the series. I know most of you don't. That's fine.

We have some people in our fanbase that bitch about not getting P5s to Hattiesburg, but are complaining about this series because it's a 2-1 or because they think State will buy out the 2024 game. Just can't please some people.

BeardoMSU
08-09-2017, 12:37 AM
Some of us have MacBooks, OK....

When I said "Apple II's", that was really more of an assumption about the computers the H-burg public library has on stock***

Lord McBuckethead
08-09-2017, 01:30 AM
Yeah, let's get our home games and then just buy out their home game if we can schedule a good P5 game on campus home and home some way.

TUSK
08-09-2017, 02:21 AM
Davis Wade 2019 and 2023, with a trip to the Rock in 2024!

y'all don't football so good...

jesus....

TUSK
08-09-2017, 02:29 AM
I don't like it.

this is correct.

msbulldog
08-09-2017, 06:15 AM

HVS, undoubtedly you weren't around in the late 70's & early 80's when they beat us like 7 in a row. I was and was at every damn game. I had to beat the hell out of one buzzard with my cowbell for waving his buzzard flag in my pregnant wife's face. Those bastards were insufferable back then, they came out of the woodwork like cockroaches. I went in a bar in Monroe La. in 1983 and sat down and started to talk football. And I'll be damned if the 2 guys I started talking to weren't buzzards.
The thing that I like about refusing to play them is it makes them really, really mad. Which warms my heart, when I tell them they ain't good enough to play us.

Dawgface
08-09-2017, 07:23 AM
I'm fine with it. I have more interest in that than playing JSU. And if they do beat us, they won't take recruits from us. They are CUSA school for heaven's sake.

Howboutdemdogs
08-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Maybe this time they will not screw us on tickets and seats again.

StThierry
08-09-2017, 07:37 AM

Yep!

Ari Gold
08-09-2017, 07:39 AM
y'all don't football so good...

jesus....

Maybe we can play them the week after y'all do in 2019.. Maybe y'all can soften them up a little for us.
We all know that game won't be played the week before the Iron bowl , that's usually reserved for the D2 schools.

FISHDAWG
08-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Maybe we can play them the week after y'all do in 2019.. Maybe y'all can soften them up a little for us.
We all know that game won't be played the week before the Iron bowl , that's usually reserved for the D2 schools.

wished I could rep you on this

biscuit
08-09-2017, 07:59 AM

That USM team was pretty dang good..... Reggie Collier and Louis Lipps

HSVDawg
08-09-2017, 08:10 AM
HVS, undoubtedly you weren't around in the late 70's & early 80's when they beat us like 7 in a row. I was and was at every damn game. I had to beat the hell out of one buzzard with my cowbell for waving his buzzard flag in my pregnant wife's face. Those bastards were insufferable back then, they came out of the woodwork like cockroaches. I went in a bar in Monroe La. in 1983 and sat down and started to talk football. And I'll be damned if the 2 guys I started talking to weren't buzzards.
The thing that I like about refusing to play them is it makes them really, really mad. Which warms my heart, when I tell them they ain't good enough to play us.

No, I wasn't around then. Neither was the current version of our football program.

Pollodawg
08-09-2017, 08:51 AM

#dipshit
Son, I know you have this weird hard on for me, but I'm just not gay. It's ok if you are.

Pollodawg
08-09-2017, 09:00 AM
I'll amend that a little. State can play them here, but we should never, ever go there to play them. I hate USM. But chill out with the fear shit. No 17in body is afraid of Southern Miss, people. If you think fear is why State doesn't play USM out of fear, you're a planet out of orbit.

Maroonthirteen
08-09-2017, 09:35 AM
What HSV said!

Plus it gives our fans in south MS a close game to attend. An interesting game to attend.

Lance Harbor
08-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Yes, your aggressive ignorance gets me all hot and bothered.

Pollodawg
08-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes, your aggressive ignorance gets me all hot and bothered.

Something about me must attract you since the only time you ever comment is to beg me to acknowledge you.

Lance Harbor
08-09-2017, 02:43 PM
You're a real life Russ Langmore from "Ozark" aren't you?

Pollodawg
08-09-2017, 02:57 PM
You're a real life Russ Langmore from "Ozark" aren't you?

I don't know who that is, but if that individual is superior to you, then yes. Run along, boy.

Jarius
08-09-2017, 03:36 PM
They are a Conference USA school. We are not and will not ever again compete for recruits with them. If they play way over their heads and beat us, we are too awful to win anything worth a shit anyway. Just play them and skulldrag them like we have the last 3 times.

basedog
08-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Times have changed, hey Ok State is playing S. Alabama in Mobile in week two.

I use to say don't play Usm but I would rather play them than Alcorn, Jsu or Troy.

One game every once in a while ain't gonna make Usm be like Bama.

Lance Harbor
08-09-2017, 04:07 PM
I don't know who that is, but if that individual is superior to you, then yes. Run along, boy.

Thanks for making my point.

Pollodawg
08-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks for making my point.

If you're Lance Harbor, Im the ACL tear that ended your career.

TUSK
08-10-2017, 02:13 AM

Correct. Not that it matters.