PDA

View Full Version : From ESPN. Nutt was a nut.

Jack Lambert
08-08-2017, 02:15 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20272932/college-football-coaches-paranoia-knows-no-bounds

TrapGame
08-08-2017, 02:23 PM
That's a fascinating article.

Tbonewannabe
08-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Reminds me when we played at Auburn and they supposedly started listening in on our headsets. It was the game we lost on Relf at the goal line but we were completely dominated the first half and then kicked their ass when Mullen started calling plays from the sideline without the headset. Doesn't take much common sense to figure out how we improved our offense.

TrapGame
08-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Reminds me when we played at Auburn and they supposedly started listening in on our headsets. It was the game we lost on Relf at the goal line but we were completely dominated the first half and then kicked their ass when Mullen started calling plays from the sideline without the headset. Doesn't take much common sense to figure out how we improved our offense.

Mullen publicly denied the rumor of listening in. However, I spoke to a former player about that rumor a couple of years ago. It's true. Mullen was a pissed off sob at halftime.

BossDawg
08-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Mullen publicly denied the rumor of listening in. However, I spoke to a former player about that rumor a couple of years ago. It's true. Mullen was a pissed off sob at halftime.

What was the story behind that, about how they found out during the game?

redstickdawg
08-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Charlie Pell at florida was sanctioned by the NCAA in the 80's for tapping the opposing teams headset communications.

TrapGame
08-08-2017, 03:48 PM
What was the story behind that, about how they found out during the game?

From what he told me Mullen told Relf the play without headphones on and then with headphones on told the coaches the play he told Relf, which was a ruse. If I'm not mistaken it's the play late in the 2nd quarter where Relf ran right while everybody and their momma in an AU jersey went left. Relf got like 25 yards on the run. Mullen threw his headset down after that.

BulldogBear
08-08-2017, 04:03 PM
From what he told me Mullen told Relf the play without headphones on and then with headphones on told the coaches the play he told Relf, which was a ruse. If I'm not mistaken it's the play late in the 2nd quarter where Relf ran right while everybody and their momma in an AU jersey went left. Relf got like 25 yards on the run. Mullen threw his headset down after that.

So is this one of those cases where we know they did but can't prove it?
Or was it squashed by SEC office?

THEY OUGHT TO HAVE TO FORFEIT THE GAME. SCREW SANCTIONING SOMETHING LIKE. PUT AN OFFICIAL L IN THAT COLUMN AND SEE HOW CHEATERS LIKE THEM APPLES.

TrapGame
08-08-2017, 04:11 PM
So is this one of those cases where we know they did but can't prove it?
Or was it squashed by SEC office?

THEY OUGHT TO HAVE TO FORFEIT THE GAME. SCREW SANCTIONING SOMETHING LIKE. PUT AN OFFICIAL L IN THAT COLUMN AND SEE HOW CHEATERS LIKE THEM APPLES.

I think the SEC (Slive) told Mullen to stifle it. He swallowed his pride and let it go. Remember, Slive was still ticked at Mullen for the whole Cam thing.

maroonmania
08-08-2017, 04:20 PM

Even if true, something had to arouse the suspicion first to even try that out. He must have been seeing defensive players all mysteriously going to the correct area of the field or something.

Johnson85
08-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Even if true, something had to arouse the suspicion first to even try that out. He must have been seeing defensive players all mysteriously going to the correct area of the field or something.

It was a defensive player calling out the offensive play. Either one of the coaches or players had a big time and specific tell, or they were listening in. But I'm sure Ole Miss people wondered if TCU was listening to their headsets in the peach bowl, but then it turns out their formations, motions, and splits just telegraphed that much info about the play calling.

HSVDawg
08-08-2017, 04:29 PM

If that's true, we could have run away from their ass by doing that for every play for the rest of the game. Don't know why we didn't.

Bully13
08-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Form what I remember is Mullen caught some back ground chatter form AU coaches form his headset.

Turfdawg67
08-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Man, Relf came introduced his own during the Egg Bowl and then again against Michigan! Such high hopes for him the next year and that hit at the goal line!! Never was the same after that. Sad, could've/should've been a great year...

BeardoMSU
08-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Reminds me when we played at Auburn and they supposedly started listening in on our headsets.

There was also this shit....

http://saturdaydownsouth.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/spot.jpg

I still remember seeing our defensive guys jumping up and down knowing they had stopped 'em cold, just to see the refs signal for a 1st down. That shit sums up SEC football. Also, Nickoe was ejected on a play where he was breaking up a pass but made contact with helmet; I'm pretty sure it was before the mandatory targeting rule, so they just ****ed him because the uniform he was wearing.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Such high hopes for him the next year and that hit at the goal line!! Never was the same after that.

He got absolutely smoked on that play. No way that guy should have stopped him dead like that....but that's football. The game should've never come down to that play, for multiple reasons (some our fault, and some of the "this week you're playing Auburn" bull shit variety), but that one still stings...

dparker
08-08-2017, 05:32 PM
I've alway wondered why teams don't take responsibility for their own headsets. I mean you wouldn't trust the other team to supply your cleats. It seems like it would be a minor technical issue to have the headsets encrypt and decrypt the signal over whatever stadiums network they are using. Then you could change the encryptions keys as often as you liked to ensure no one was listening.

Spiderman
08-08-2017, 05:34 PM
He got absolutely smoked on that play. No way that guy should have stopped him dead like that....but that's football. The game should've never come down to that play, for multiple reasons (some our fault, and some of the "this week you're playing Auburn" bull shit variety), but that one still stings...

Relf was in bad shape, health wise all that year. He gutted it out. Folks hvae no idea how tough he was that year

Lord McBuckethead
08-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Relf will always be one of my favorite bulldogs. If everyone had his drive, we would be better for it.

starkvegasdawg
08-08-2017, 09:12 PM
There was also this shit....

http://saturdaydownsouth.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/spot.jpg

I still remember seeing our defensive guys jumping up and down knowing they had stopped 'em cold, just to see the refs signal for a 1st down. That shit sums up SEC football. Also, Nickoe was ejected on a play where he was breaking up a pass but made contact with helmet; I'm pretty sure it was before the mandatory targeting rule, so they just ****ed him because the uniform he was wearing.

That still burns my ass like bad Mexican food.

Howboutdemdogs
08-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Dparker has a good point. Why don't teams just provide their own head sets? I would not trust any team in the SEC.

shannondawg
08-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Instant replay has stopped a lot of that crap.

Political Hack
08-09-2017, 12:36 PM
I asked and was told "we cant talk about it." Pretty obvious something happened if they weren't allowed to talk about it.

thf24
08-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Dparker has a good point. Why don't teams just provide their own head sets? I would not trust any team in the SEC.

There's a ton of infrastructure needed to connect everyone together including the box reliably, much more than would be practical for teams to bring in and install then remove themselves for one game.

IMissJack
08-09-2017, 04:37 PM
There's a ton of infrastructure needed to connect everyone together including the box reliably, much more than would be practical for teams to bring in and install then remove themselves for one game.

Just curious, does anyone know what the NFL does about headsets?