PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Starting Lineup

Perpetual Underachiever
08-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Just watched a highlight video of little Spoon and it got me thinking about our lineup this year. Who will our starting 5+1 be game one, and who do you hope will be starting 5+1 come SEC ball?

msstate7
08-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Peters
Carter
Q
Holman
Herard

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Peters
Q
Xay
Holman
Ado

MarketingBully
08-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Peters
Q
Xay
Holman
Ado

This is what we start with but I think it will be the below when SEC season starts:

PG Nick W
SG Lamar Peters
3G Q
S4 Aric Holman
C Abdul Ado

First three off the bench Carter, Stapleton, Herard....Wright and Feazell will get minutes as well. We still will have a very versatile lineup and Howland will make changes to it based on matchups.

BeardoMSU
08-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Peters
Q
Xay
Holman
Ado

So how good is Ado? Who would you compare him to?

msstate7
08-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Mix of Shaq and Hakeem Olajuwon...

BeardoMSU
08-07-2017, 01:15 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

MCsMGs
08-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but...I really don't care who starts. I just hope the Bulldog fans will pack the hump.

This team deserves better than a bunch of fair weather fans! A rowdy Hump every night can add a couple wins this season.

gtowndawg
08-07-2017, 01:37 PM

Awesome. I could see it coming a mile away.

Perpetual Underachiever
08-07-2017, 01:38 PM

Marcus Campbell + John Riek*

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
08-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Peters
Q
Xay
Holman
Ado

I'm ready to see Xay get more minutes but I still like him coming off the bench. Instant energy boost on both ends & went on a few one-man runs off the bench last season.

louisvilledawg
08-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Marcus Campbell + John Riek*

He'll be the best at dribbling the ball off his fat feet if that's the case haha

louisvilledawg
08-07-2017, 02:29 PM
I'm ready to see Xay get more minutes but I still like him coming off the bench. Instant energy boost on both ends & went on a few one-man runs off the bench last season.

So he's a more athletic Phil Turner?

CadaverDawg
08-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Ado is currently in Paul Young territory. This dude is getting better with every thread, lol. Let's hope his MSU career goes better than Paul Lochness Young's did

mparkerfd20
08-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but...I really don't care who starts. I just hope the Bulldog fans will pack the hump.

This team deserves better than a bunch of fair weather fans! A rowdy Hump every night can add a couple wins this season.

Our fans deserve better basketball than they've been getting too, so it's a catch 22.

BeardoMSU
08-07-2017, 03:10 PM
it's a catch 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQppEXvRcM

MarketingBully
08-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Ado is currently in Paul Young territory. This dude is getting better with every thread, lol. Let's hope his MSU career goes better than Paul Lochness Young's did

If anyone is to blame for the optimism around Ado, it's Coach Howland who said if Ado would have been eligible last year we would have won 3-4 more games. His measurables are off the charts such as having a 7'5" wingspan. Every player this offseason has mentioned how much of a difference he will make in the lineup and that he is a great rebounder and defender. I'm not expecting him to come in and be a world beater right off especially offensively but he is better then Herard overall right now and will start.

MarketingBully
08-07-2017, 03:25 PM
I think Ado compares very favorably to a bigger longer Jarvis Varnado from looking at highlight films of him. I know one thing is for sure. With him and Holman anchoring the defense, there shouldn't be any more bullshit dribble drive layups on us that killed us a lot last year.

BeardoMSU
08-07-2017, 03:29 PM
I think Ado compares very favorably to a bigger longer Jarvis Varnado from looking at highlight films of him.
It'd be great to have a rim protector again, but I sure hope his offensive game is better than JV's...

MCsMGs
08-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Our fans deserve better basketball than they've been getting too, so it's a catch 22.

Sounds like you think someone owes you something and you're not gonna do anything 'til you get your way...

I'm still hoping more fans will show up at the Hump(and some road games) and support this team.

Political Hack
08-07-2017, 04:20 PM
I said it when he enrolled, he's he best defensive big man we've had since Jarvis. And he's got good hands, which is huge when you have 7'+ wing span. He's going to clog the lane on defense and open driving lanes on offense. Just keep him out of foul trouble.

tcdog70
08-07-2017, 04:25 PM

MOST POSITIVE STATEMENT EVER

KentuckyDawg13
08-08-2017, 08:21 AM
3 guard lineup with a possible 2 PGs at the same time.
So many different lineup possibilities, we will probably have a different one almost every game until SEC play.
Not sure how Howland is going to make all the guards happy. With X's height, he will be playing the 3 guard/SF role a lot. Hopefully, Holman is going to be more aggressive this season. Cannot wait to see Ado play. And Nick Weatherspoon.
All of the fair weather fans need to get behind this team. They will be making some noise this season. If not, sell your season tix to someone that will use them.
Hail State.

GTHOM
08-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Peters
Q
Xay
Holman
Ado

Bench
Little Spoon
Wright
Carter
Feazell
Herard

BigEasyDawg
08-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Peters
Q
Xay
Holman
Ado

Bench
Little Spoon
Wright
Carter
Feazell
Herard

Our Bench is better than any starting five that Rick Ray ever had. Pretty cool

Dawg61
08-08-2017, 12:51 PM
If we get first half of the year Peters he should start but if we get haircut version he needs to sit. He was bad the 2nd half of the season and he shrunk 4 inches overnight. He'd be the shortest SG we've ever had if he plays the 2 at all. He looks 5'10 out there.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-08-2017, 12:57 PM
If we get first half of the year Peters he should start but if we get haircut version he needs to sit. He was bad the 2nd half of the season and he shrunk 4 inches overnight. He'd be the shortest SG we've ever had if he plays the 2 at all. He looks 5'10 out there.

I think you mean the 1st half of the SEC season vs the 2nd half. The 1st 10-11 games of the SEC he was very good. The 2nd half not so much but part of that was also him being injured. When healthy he proved he could be an All SEC caliber PG.

Dawg61
08-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I think you mean the 1st half of the SEC season vs the 2nd half. The 1st 10-11 games of the SEC he was very good. The 2nd half not so much but part of that was also him being injured. When healthy he proved he could be an All SEC caliber PG.

I didn't think he was injured. Seemed to totally lose his confidence down the stretch but when he was good earlier he was really good. Hope we get that version here on.

MarketingBully
08-08-2017, 01:20 PM

He's going to be really good this year. He showed extremely well at the Adidas Nations event.

Mississippi State sophomore point guard Lamar Peters was named to #adidasNation's All-Tournament team.
#HailState

MarketingBully
08-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Starting Peters and Nick W together will give us a very dominant backcourt and one of the best in the SEC.

Dawg61
08-08-2017, 01:27 PM
He's going to be really good this year. He showed extremely well at the Adidas Nations event.

Mississippi State sophomore point guard Lamar Peters was named to #adidasNation's All-Tournament team.
#HailState

Love hearing this

MarketingBully
08-09-2017, 09:44 AM

He also hit the freshman wall and has been working hard in the offseason to correct it. He understands what is required of him and I think the experience all of our freshmen received last year is going to pay off starting this year. People say if we start Nick W and Peters together they would be a small backcourt but they are actually pretty stout. Peters is now coming in at 190 and Nick W is at 200 so I think we will be okay defensively with both of them at the PG and SG spots. We will have three legitimate players that could shoot 40%+ from deep (Q, Carter, and Peters) with Nick W distributing to them. If we can get some production out of Holman, Ado, and Herard, we will be in great shape this year.