PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any Fitz reports? Read a couple items today linked below

DancingRabbit
08-06-2017, 06:53 PM
This one is a 247 outlook on Nick. Pretty glowing article with some eye-popping stats.

Then they get to the end and seem to infer some pretty modest projections

Using the players who since 2000 had seasons most similar to the one Fitzgerald had last year, as measured by Euclidean distance, and how they followed up those seasons we can estimate the kind of numbers he?ll put up in 2017. These are his projected regular season numbers: 203.7/333.2 (61.1%), 2,554.6 passing yards (7.7 YPA), 20.5 pass TD, 7.1 INT, 1,048.9 rush yards (5.8 YPC), 11.2 rush TD (3,603.5 total yards, 31.7 total TD).

These projections call for Fitzgerald to become more accurate and efficient as a passer while cutting down on the interceptions and still running for another 1,000-plus yards. In other words, the numbers say Fitzgerald will, in many ways, pick up where he left off last year.

That Euclid is not a fan of Nick's run game.
http://247sports.com/Bolt/How-Nick-Fitzgerald-grew-in-2016-what-to-expect-in-2017-105534563

And here's a long, glowing background article on Fitz with lots of current quotes from him and his Dad.

http://southernpigskin.com/sec/being-nick-fitzgerald/

tireddawg
08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm assuming that's a good article. I tried to read it but you've got to have a microscope to do so. Could the font be any lighter?

RocketDawg
08-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm assuming that's a good article. I tried to read it but you've got to have a microscope to do so. Could the font be any lighter?

Both articles looked OK to me. Maybe something ailing your browser?

bulldawg28
08-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Fitz needs competition imo. Not having it is my concern for him.

GTHOM
08-06-2017, 08:25 PM

My biggest concern with Fitz is along these lines as well. He may have changed and became a film junky but hes never been that way. Fitz is the most talented QB State has ever had not even close IMO. He also plays his ass off and leaves it all on the field. Heard good things so far if he progresses as well as Dak did from 13 to 14 he can make a run at NY the next 2 seasons

Pollodawg
08-06-2017, 08:55 PM
I don't know about Fitz being the most talented QB we've ever had.....

dparker
08-06-2017, 09:05 PM
The article is flawed. Everyone knows that you need to use the Mahalanobis distance and not the Euclidean. Rookie mistake.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2017, 09:29 PM
If we had one more threat at WR I'd feel super wooly about this season. I still think we should land in the 7-5/8-4 range, but a Fred Ross addition would have me thinking 9 isn't out of the question.

I just hope like hell that Dan realizes we don't have great WR's and doesn't try to reinvent the wheel with this offense. We have great run threats in our backfield, and our line should be average-ish.....we also have some strong potential at TE, so let's run the ball and use it to setup play action to our slot guys and TE's when opponents try to stuff it. Throw the occasional deep ball to Gray to keep folks honest...but RTDF

Todd4State
08-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Other than the beginning of the season he pretty much had the job no questions asked and did fine. Dan should have started him to start with. I never understood why any of our fans thought he should have been benched. He made some incredible plays against BYU and Kentucky that kept us in it.

I think he will be better because of his experience, maturity, and he won't have to overcome Sirmon's defense. He just needs to find a way to keep his helmet on.

Reason2succeed
08-07-2017, 04:31 AM
Fitz will be fine as long as Mullen doesn't tamper with him too much like he did with Dak's senior year. Fitz needs to continue to run when it's open. He just needs to find WRs that he trusts to make plays on 3rd down. Honestly we don't have a #1 receiver right now. If a defense makes stopping Donald Gray their priority in the pass game then other guys just have to step up. It will develop as the year goes on and hopefully before it costs us any games.

Dawgology
08-07-2017, 07:59 AM
I just hope he gets past the first quarter jitters. I know he was still new at it all last year but it seemed to take him a quarter or so each game to "warm up". He really didn't even start hitting on all cylinders until about 6-7 games into the season. Need him to step up on day one this year.