PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NBA Mock Draft

CovertDawg
08-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Yes, it is very early to talk about 2019 but NBA Draft.net updated their mock draft for '19 yesterday.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Nick Weatherspoon going 11...Quinndary going 32.

MetEdDawg
08-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Also noticed Malik Newman at 57 on that list. Would be very interesting if we had 2 players go before him in the draft.

RougeDawg
08-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Also noticed Malik Newman at 57 on that list. Would be very interesting if we had 2 players go before him in the draft.

What about Horacio? Where was he on the list?**

Worst think to happen to Malik. Sucks to be the kid that the dad won't let them play.

CovertDawg
08-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Malik will be a good college player but he does not have the wingspan to defend his position or attack the basket at the next level in my opinion. You get the very rare player like Steph Curry who can figure it out but the odds are stacked against Malik based on his measurements from the NBA combine in 2016. I have not seen wingspan measurements for either of the Weatherspoon brothers but their ability to rebound and finish around the rim makes me think they are quite long and thus more appealing to NBA scouts.

RougeDawg
08-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Malik will be a good college player but he does not have the wingspan to defend his position or attack the basket at the next level in my opinion. You get the very rare player like Steph Curry who can figure it out but the odds are stacked against Malik based on his measurements from the NBA combine in 2016. I have not seen wingspan measurements for either of the Weatherspoon brothers but their ability to rebound and finish around the rim makes me think they are quite long and thus more appealing to NBA scouts.

You are correct. The main difference between a college and NBA game are arm lengths. College players can scratch their quads without bending over. NBA players can scratch the back of their knees without bending over.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Reggie Perry will be a top 20 pick in either 2019 or 2020 draft.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Malik should watch tapes of CJ McCollum. That's who he should pattern his game after. Similar size, athleticism, etc. He's not a true PG or SG but just a very good player.

klong-dog
08-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Saw a couple of tweets tonight regarding Malik. Saying he was going bonkers, scoring 32 today earlier today.

TheRef
08-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Saw a couple of tweets tonight regarding Malik. Saying he was going bonkers, scoring 32 today earlier today.

Against the Italian team they were playing...but remember when we were world-beaters when we went overseas 2 years ago?

msstate7
08-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Against the Italian team they were playing...but remember when we were world-beaters when we went overseas 2 years ago?

Last year wasn't it?

TheRef
08-06-2017, 09:44 PM
Last year wasn't it?

May have been...I don't remember when we went overseas for our 4-year stint.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Malik is going to have a good year at Kansas

msstate7
08-06-2017, 10:17 PM

At the 1?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2017, 10:34 PM
At the 1?

I think he & Graham split ball handling duties.

TStationDawg
08-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Bet I know who wins out. Call it a hunch

CovertDawg
08-06-2017, 11:13 PM
You are correct. The main difference between a college and NBA game are arm lengths. College players can scratch their quads without bending over. NBA players can scratch the back of their knees without bending over.

Exactly. If you want to see just what type of freaks NBA players are then look at the wingpspan measurements from the 2016 combine where Malik got measured. http://www.nbadraft.net/2016-nba-draft-combine-measurements He had the 6th shortest wingspan so unless he develops Tyler Ulis style quickness and penetrating ability then I don't see much of an NBA career for him. And as I said, I think Malik will be a very good college player but the NBA is almost like a different sport.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Exactly. If you want to see just what type of freaks NBA players are then look at the wingpspan measurements from the 2016 combine where Malik got measured. http://www.nbadraft.net/2016-nba-draft-combine-measurements He had the 6th shortest wingspan so unless he develops Tyler Ulis style quickness and penetrating ability then I don't see much of an NBA career for him. And as I said, I think Malik will be a very good college player but the NBA is almost like a different sport.

Now look at CJ McCollum's combine measurements they're almost identical.

CovertDawg
08-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Now look at CJ McCollum's combine measurements they're almost identical.

It is certainly possible that Malik could be CJ McCollum yet highly unlikely. CJ had a 3 inch higher max vert and did much better in the shuttle run. My only point is that Malik will not get the benefit of the doubt based on his physical measurements or athleticism...he is going to have to absolutely Wow NBA scouts with skill.

But enough about Malik, it will be a very important day for MSU basketball when Nick or Quinndary (or whoever from the team) goes in the 1st round. It will prove that you can go to MSU and get all the development you need to be a 1st rounder. I am confident it will happen. It would not even surprise me if Lamar Peters starts showing up in some of the mock drafts at some point. He plays bigger than his height.

MarketingBully
08-07-2017, 04:09 AM
Reggie Perry will be a top 20 pick in either 2019 or 2020 draft.

Agreed, I would also add Ado to the mix if he has the kind of year we expect. His measurables are off the charts. Not many big men in the NBA have a 7'5" wingspan. I think Peters and Herard have a shot at the next level as well. A hell of a lot of talent on this team.

MarketingBully
08-07-2017, 04:17 AM

Yep but the problem is if they play him like he wants to play, Kansas won't be the best team they can be. By starting him, they aren't putting their best starting five out on the court. Graham is a better PG then he is and Vick is a better SG then he is. If they had him as the sixth man off the bench, they would be a better team for it. But that's Self's headache to figure out now. Horatio really screwed him at MSU. He was trying to coach Malik while he was here. Now that Malik is at Kansas, Horatio can't screw with him anymore. In the long run probably the best thing that happened to both parties was Malik transferring. It sucked in the short term but in the long run once we get a few of these guys drafted and start winning it will all work itself out.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Yep but the problem is if they play him like he wants to play, Kansas won't be the best team they can be. By starting him, they aren't putting their best starting five out on the court.

Totally disagree. He's 1 of their 5 best players. I hate he didn't work out at MSU but he's going to be very good at Kansas & will put up good #"s.

MarketingBully
08-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Totally disagree. He's 1 of their 5 best players. I hate he didn't work out at MSU but he's going to be very good at Kansas & will put up good #"s.

His game (that it looks like he hasn't adjusted) is to constantly have the ball in his hands and score. If he is one of their five best players, he is not in their top four. They have NBA players all up and down that lineup including two players that play his positions and will get drafted much higher then he will. Are you saying he is a kid who could average 15-17 ppg? Sure he could. Is he a player of the year type player? Nope. Is he a first round NBA talent? Nope.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2017, 11:49 AM
His game (that it looks like he hasn't adjusted) is to constantly have the ball in his hands and score. If he is one of their five best players, he is not in their top four. They have NBA players all up and down that lineup including two players that play his positions and will get drafted much higher then he will. Are you saying he is a kid who could average 15-17 ppg? Sure he could. Is he a player of the year type player? Nope. Is he a first round NBA talent? Nope.

That roster isn't filled with NBA talent up & down. At least not 1st rd talent. It's mostly 2nd rd type guys just like Malik. Outside of Graham he's their best player. He's going to be good & have a good year. Will that lead to a 1st rd draft spot maybe not but you're really trying to downplay how good he's going to be.