PDA

View Full Version : Billy Brewer

anubus
08-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Was Billy Brewer was sleezy coach or the kindly caring coach they tried to depict him as on that SEC TV segment on Chucky Mullins? Any one have any stories about recruit trips to Platinum Plus or cash payouts..things sure didn't change between 94 and now

Todd4State
08-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Hugh Freeze before there was a Hugh Freeze.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-05-2017, 04:36 PM
The only difference in the two was that there was no social media for Brewer.

snoopdog
08-05-2017, 04:37 PM
And they really liked him. I haven't had conversations about recruiting, strippers, etc, so I can't speak to that. I actually got to know him somewhat after Ole Miss fired him and I really liked him. I graduated from State so would talk a little football with him and he was a very personable, outgoing guy. I could see him being very loyal and compassionate to his players and them respecting him as a coach. As you can imagine, at that particular time he wasn't very fond of Sherrill.

Todd4State
08-05-2017, 04:39 PM

I agree. I think Freeze was in many ways is an up to date more modern version of Brewer. Same with the Network as well- which is why the fall will be much more spectacular than 94.

Thrill1
08-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Like snoop, I have met Coach Brewer several times in the last few years while working Oxford, and you cannot find a nicer gentleman. The first encounter was while he was caring for his dying wife in a clinic. I thought to myself, "Whats wrong with me, I used to hate this dude." Really puts sports and rivalry in perspective.

Cant answer whether or not he was a sleazy coach or not, and honestly dont care. Glad I was able to sit down and have a conversation with him.

biggun
08-05-2017, 05:21 PM
While competing head to head, Sherrill and Brewer pretty much hated each other. In fact, I remember when Brewer called Sherrill a habitual liar, so Jackie fired back something to the effect, I seriously doubt that Billy even knows the definition of "habitual". But I am pretty sure, but could be wrong, now that some time has gone by that they have become pretty good friends.

Bothrops
08-05-2017, 05:23 PM

Boom!

Mutt the Hoople
08-05-2017, 05:31 PM
One of my high school teammates played for Ole Miss under Steve sloan and Billy Brewer.

The first spring practice, Brewer has a talk with the team. "You know why you're losers?"...then he smacks this lineman in the face..."YOU'RE NOT TOUGH ENOUGH!!!" After looking at that, my teammate quit (he later transferred to State but didn't play football, and got a Chemical Engineering degree).

By the late '80's-early '90's, I got the impression that the OM players loved Brewer. One of the things about him- when he was growing up in the '40s and '50's, he played sandlot football against black kids. He grew up dirt poor, and he didn't have the racist feelings Ole Miss (and other white Mississippians) had against blacks. I think his feelings for Chucky were sincere, and I think he was truly broken up when Mullins died.

Dawgcentral
08-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Brewer seemed to panic when Jackie arrived. I think he saw the writing on the wall. That's when he called Jackie a habitual liar.

I never was a fan. I'm sure he was nice enough when you guys met him.

He's a rebel, through and through.

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Brewer was an old school guy. He made no religious pretensions. He grew up (in a single parent household I believe) on the "wrong side of the tracks" in Columbus in a time when white folks simply didn't do that. Ole Miss folks loved that he played for Vaught, but he was about as far from the Ole Miss stereotype as you could get. The only real similarity between him and Freeze is that they both embraced the Network.

snoopdog
08-05-2017, 05:42 PM
With coach Brewer, again, a year or so after he was fired from Ole Miss. Tommy Tuberville had just been hired. In the tournament, there was a guy with the last name of Turbeville, or something like that. When Brewer saw the guys name, he said, "Hell that SOB is following me everywhere." Obviously it was his way of poking fun at himself with some self deprecating humor. He didn't take himself too seriously. Funny thing is, that is totally opposite of Freeze.

Dawgcentral
08-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Brewer played for Vaught. I think he had an affection for OM that Freeze could never have, even though he didn't fit the stereotype.

LC Dawg
08-05-2017, 05:50 PM
I don't know if Brewer was as dirty as Freeze but his former players seemed to really like him and I don't think Freeze's players really give a shit about him. This is probably because they know he truly doesn't give a shit about them. This one fact makes me think a little higher of Brewer than Freeze but I wouldn't piss on either of them if they were on fire. Well, I may piss on Brewer but I wouldn't waste my good water on him. He's still a Rebel.

coastdoglover
08-05-2017, 06:02 PM
While competing head to head, Sherrill and Brewer pretty much hated each other. In fact, I remember when Brewer called Sherrill a habitual liar, so Jackie fired back something to the effect, I seriously doubt that Billy even knows the definition of "habitual". But I am pretty sure, but could be wrong, now that some time has gone by that they have become pretty good friends.

The Billy and Jackie are pretty good friends now. He is a much better person than Freeze. He would have been a good coach at MSU but would never have happened. I have had several conversations with him in the past couple of years and he has never talked bad about MSU and actually told me Wesley Reed was one hell of a coach.

yjnkdawg
08-06-2017, 10:34 AM
I believe Cutcliffe was probably the only coach, from Johnny Vaught to now, who didn't like the recruiting method and style of the Network. OM did not want to lose gettng Eli and Cutcliffe assured them of getting him. So yeah, Brewer liked the Network.

Bully13
08-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Does anybody remember what " lies '" Brewer was referring to? I do remember Sherill's reply though: "habitual winner is what he should have said".

Anybody remember that bowl invite claim Brewer made regarding the egg bowl winner? "We were DECEIVED"

Funny blast from the past.

RougeDawg
08-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Like snoop, I have met Coach Brewer several times in the last few years while working Oxford, and you cannot find a nicer gentleman. The first encounter was while he was caring for his dying wife in a clinic. I thought to myself, "Whats wrong with me, I used to hate this dude." Really puts sports and rivalry in perspective.

Cant answer whether or not he was a sleazy coach or not, and honestly dont care. Glad I was able to sit down and have a conversation with him.

You do realize 99% of the braindead public (including msu fans) thought Bucky was as pure as the driven snow before July as well.

Howboutdemdogs
08-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Pants on the ground Brewer. That's why he lost his job.

Howboutdemdogs
08-06-2017, 03:23 PM
And Freeze was a sham, not a saint.

Spiderman
08-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Was Billy Brewer was sleezy coach or the kindly caring coach they tried to depict him as on that SEC TV segment on Chucky Mullins? Any one have any stories about recruit trips to Platinum Plus or cash payouts..things sure didn't change between 94 and now

Billy was a cut throat cheater. He was a player's coach but he had no scruples. But then again, unlike Hooker Hugh, he didn't claim he had any

JoseBrown
08-06-2017, 04:40 PM
You do realize 99% of the braindead public (including msu fans) thought Bucky was as pure as the driven snow before July as well.

True that. Out of my family and close friends, only an lsu buddy of mine and me never bought into the snake oil.

MedDawg
08-07-2017, 09:23 AM

I wouldn't doubt that. Sherrill and Joe Paterno became friends, too. Sherrill and his wife even spent a Penn State football weekend at the Paterno's house.

It's probably rare that coaches hate others like fans (on message boards) do and even more rare that the hate lingers on. After all, it's a job and not a lifelong passion like it is for fans. It's a job where you usually move from school to school, and you could even find yourself working alongside a previous rival coach. After retirement, you don't think about that recruit that coach stole years ago and do think more about friends and family.