PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cost of room and board

shannondawg
08-04-2017, 04:10 PM
How much on the average and not living on bread and water does it cost a freshman at MSU, excluding Tuition. And the cost if joining a frat.

AROB44
08-04-2017, 04:19 PM
You are mighty old to be going back to school shannondawg...

Dawg61
08-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Depends how comfortable you'd like them to live. $1,500 a month and they don't need to get a job. Less than that and they probably need to work or never go out ever.

jbjones
08-04-2017, 04:20 PM
How much on the average and not living on bread and water does it cost a freshman at MSU, excluding Tuition. And the cost if joining a frat.

Here's what is on MSU's site. It's not the most definitive, but it's a start.

money-matters (http://www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshmen/money-matters/#tuition)

edit: also, don't the freshmen now have to purchase a meal plan?

Mimi's Babies
08-04-2017, 04:27 PM
If the parents live in certain counties then the child doesn't have to live in the dorms....

LockeDawg
08-04-2017, 04:30 PM
If they have to live in dorms, then they will have a mandatory meal plan billed each semester for eating in the dining halls. If they're in a fraternity, them the school waives the meal plan and the house picks up that expense and bills as part of membership dues.

BeardoMSU
08-04-2017, 04:44 PM
If the parents live in certain counties then the child doesn't have to live in the dorms....
Dorm life builds character...

CarolinaDawgs
08-04-2017, 04:46 PM
you can expect ~1700 a semester for fraternity life.

MafiaDawg
08-04-2017, 04:56 PM
I can't imagine not living in the freshman dorm. It's a great experience that you never want to do again. Wouldn't change it for anything and you meet tons of people.

starkvegasdawg
08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
I can't imagine not living in the freshman dorm. It's a great experience that you never want to do again. Wouldn't change it for anything and you meet tons of people.

I was in Hightower my freshman year. Not too sure about the great experience part, but I agree I never wanted to do it again.

basedog
08-04-2017, 05:26 PM

Sorority is killing me, as you know it ain't at Msu either, that would be like a discount if it was.

Bodaski
08-04-2017, 05:33 PM

I wish a 1,000 times I would have bought a house in a pretty nice subdivision with 3 or 4 bedrooms and rented out a couple to roommates and then sold it after she finished in May. Or, I could keep it for a 2nd home. The rent would have paid for the house for 4 years at least. My uncle did that and he made enough to practically pay for my cousin's school and about 25% profit on the house. He found a house off south Montgomery in one of ghose older subdivisions.. He was there 5 years.

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
08-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Just give him a blank check! Seriously, it costs us about $20,000 last year for my daughter. That's all in (room, board, sorority, insurance, incidentals...everything). Luckily, we had a MPACT plan, so no tuition costs for five years...anything more than five years and she's on her own.

Dawg61
08-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Freshman year of college in Evans & Suttle dorms I had the most fun of any year of my life and unbelievably was able to maintain a passing gpa. It is an absolute must experience imo.

shannondawg
08-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Basedawg, I think you should tell everybody where she goes to school.

civildawg
08-04-2017, 06:50 PM
I think dorm life all depends on your roommate and hall mates. My roommate was terrible and my floor was pretty lame. The floor below me though was college life just like you would see in a movie.

BeardoMSU
08-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Freshman year of college in Evans & Suttle dorms I had the most fun of any year of my life and unbelievably was able to maintain a passing gpa. It is an absolute must experience imo.

I lived in Evans and Suttle too.

RougeDawg
08-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Just give him a blank check! Seriously, it costs us about $20,000 last year for my daughter. That's all in (room, board, sorority, insurance, incidentals...everything). Luckily, we had a MPACT plan, so no tuition costs for five years...anything more than five years and she's on her own.

$20k. That's it? You could easily make that much simply by attentoding two recruiting events in Oxford.**

DawgFromOxford
08-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Living in a dorm your first year will cost about $2,000-$4,000 per semester depending on where you stay. The general meal plan they sign all freshman students up for is about $2,000 a semester, although this can be changed within the first week or two to a more basic and cheaper option (but they won't tell you that). Fraternity life will be anywhere from $800-$2000 per semester for dues only.

basedog
08-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Basedawg, I think you should tell everybody where she goes to school.

Well where she goes is really good at not revealing names!

I have MPact as well and it's a blessing but that sorority life is more expensive than Msu.

Btw Shannondawg, she didn't even know Freezes resigned, she could care less, it's her social life not athletics she cares about.

Btw, you and AROB44 stirring the pot***.

Dawg61
08-04-2017, 08:36 PM
I lived in Evans and Suttle too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ

RTO Dawg
08-04-2017, 08:36 PM
My daughter will be a freshman this year and the cost of her dorm room and meal ticket is 4900 bucks a semester.

the59dawg
08-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Especially in Old Main back when. Room, board, and tuition was $650 for my freshman year, 1955. All meals in cafeteria.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-04-2017, 10:49 PM
I was in Hightower my freshman year. Not too sure about the great experience part, but I agree I never wanted to do it again.

The old vertical ghetto, where they crammed everyone in during summer for the "experience"

BeardoMSU
08-04-2017, 11:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawg61 again.

sandwolf
08-05-2017, 12:05 AM

I can't imagine not having lived in the dorms freshman year.....one of the best years of my life.

That said, I roomed with a friend from high school. I can't imagine going pot luck and getting a shitty roommate....that would likely ruin the whole experience.

msbulldog
08-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Ha ha Vegas I was in Hightower 107 in 1973 for a semester, and I agree with your sentiments.

BrunswickDawg
08-05-2017, 07:34 AM
I can't imagine not having lived in the dorms freshman year.....one of the best years of my life.

That said, I roomed with a friend from high school. I can't imagine going pot luck and getting a shitty roommate....that would likely ruin the whole experience.
If you don't have a friend to room with, they have match.com type app the school uses that the kids can sign up for. You put in like/dislike info and it matches you with similar interests. My daughter found her roommate that way - I guess we will find out in about a week how it works.

Dolphus Raymond
08-05-2017, 07:39 AM
I was in Hamlin; the biggest dump in the academic world. RIP, Hamlin.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-05-2017, 07:58 AM
I was in Duggar my freshman year. Great year.

Martianlander
08-05-2017, 06:46 PM
I was in Duggar my freshman year. Great year.

Me too 1966-1967. My year was great although my grades were not.

RocketDawg
08-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Me too 1966-1967. My year was great although my grades were not.

I was in Critz at the same time.

Mimi's Babies
08-05-2017, 06:55 PM
I live 4.5 miles from MSU -- I have no intention of my grand daughter ever living in a dorm..... #HAILSTATE......

TaleofTwoDogs
08-05-2017, 10:32 PM
I was in Critz at the same time.

Critz for me in '71. After my roommate dropped out after one semester (partying was a GPA killer) I moved off campus and stayed in trailers or apartments except one semester in Hamlin ( yes, it was a dump). Met some cool guys in the dorms but I loved the free style of living off campus.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
08-05-2017, 11:09 PM
I was in Hamlin; the biggest dump in the academic world. RIP, Hamlin.

Besides being the biggest dump, wasn't Hamlin the dorm they called the UN? Thinking it was just north of Sessums on the corner of Lee Blvd and the road that runs by Sessums.

Dawgtini
08-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Sessums then Suttle and finally Evans for me. Took the "pot luck" roommate freshman year and lucked up with a guy from California. Quite the experience and it turned out great. Met some life long friends that freshman year.

sandwolf
08-05-2017, 11:48 PM
If you don't have a friend to room with, they have match.com type app the school uses that the kids can sign up for. You put in like/dislike info and it matches you with similar interests. My daughter found her roommate that way - I guess we will find out in about a week how it works.
I guess I should have figured that there would be something like that now. That sounds like a great solution.

And just a side story about going pot luck. My oldest brother was a freshman at State in '94 and he went pot luck.....his roommate was a complete weirdo and got caught with a pipe bomb in his backpack while on campus which resulted in my brother being interrogated by the FBI.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-06-2017, 12:24 AM
Besides being the biggest dump, wasn't Hamlin the dorm they called the UN? Thinking it was just north of Sessums on the corner of Lee Blvd and the road that runs by Sessums.

Yea, Hamlin was north of Sessums on Barr Avenue, then the 4 freshmen dorms and then Shuttle. All but Critz is gone today. Back in the day, there was no air conditioning in the freshmen dorms and it was hot as hell. Freshmen were happy to move up to Hamlin & Shuttle just because of the AC (although the buildings used the old water cooler systems it was a lot cooler than the freshmen dorms.

dickiedawg
08-07-2017, 06:24 AM
I lived in Hull freshman year. It was really a great experience. Ate most of my meals at Perry and there was never a lack of someone to walk over with.

BrunswickDawg
08-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I guess I should have figured that there would be something like that now. That sounds like a great solution.

And just a side story about going pot luck. My oldest brother was a freshman at State in '94 and he went pot luck.....his roommate was a complete weirdo and got caught with a pipe bomb in his backpack while on campus which resulted in my brother being interrogated by the FBI.

I was there then and remember hearing rumor of it. I was a Frosh in '91, lived in Sessums with one of the few other Cobb Co., GA guys. It was freaking Animal House. Lived in a boomerang first half of Soph year then moved to frat house for second half. My first 2 years I majored in party with a 2.2.