PDA

View Full Version : KICKOFF RETURN

Powersaw
08-03-2017, 10:47 AM
As glowing as the reviews have been, I just can't see Kylin Hill getting a ton of carries at RB this season. What are the chances of him taking Dear's spot on kickoff returns? He was a phenomenal return guy in HS and we have been abysmal in that department since Leon Berry graduated.

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2017, 11:02 AM
I really want Mixon handling kickoff returns, but someone could talk me into Kylin being back there with him.

On kick-off returns, I'm a fan of elite speed. You've got to have someone back there that is threat to take it the distance every time. Not sure Kylin has that type of elite speed.

bostondawg
08-03-2017, 11:13 AM
I really want Mixon handling kickoff returns, but someone could talk me into Kylin being back there with him.

On kick-off returns, I'm a fan of elite speed. You've got to have someone back there that is threat to take it the distance every time. Not sure Kylin has that type of elite speed.

Couldn't agree more. Hill was clocked at a 4.64 in high school. Unless that's gotten much better, he doesn't need to be back there. He'll be a good RB, but not because of top end speed.

In contrast, Keith Mixon ran a 4.3 as a freshman at MSU. Much more equipped.

What would you guys think about Brandon Bryant back there? He has enormous top end speed, and loves contact if he can't outrun them. I especially wonder about him back there if he ends up having a mental problem at safety like last year. Maybe that would be a good way to get him on the field, get the sweat and blood pumping, maybe settle him down a bit?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-03-2017, 11:17 AM
^^ This

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2017, 11:18 AM
What would you guys think about Brandon Bryant back there? He has enormous top end speed, and loves contact if he can't outrun them. I especially wonder about him back there if he ends up having a mental problem at safety like last year. Maybe that would be a good way to get him on the field, get the sweat and blood pumping, maybe settle him down a bit?

Not a terrible idea. I would disagree with "love contact" part & I'm not completely sure of what type of vision & ball skills Bryant has, but YES, I'd be more excited about Bryant back there than Hill.

Hill is going to be an awesome RB for us, but his gifts are vision, agility, & fluidity. Again, my philosophy on kick return is to have a player that looks like he was shot out of cannon combined with the strength to break one tackle. Basically, on kickoff, I'm fine with a straight line runner with elite speed, whereas that doesn't work at most offensive positions.

Coursesuper
08-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Why burn a year of eligibility on 10 to 15 possible returns in a year?

bostondawg
08-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Not a terrible idea. I would disagree with "love contact" part & I'm not completely sure of what type of vision & ball skills Bryant has, but YES, I'd be more excited about Bryant back there than Hill.

Hill is going to be an awesome RB for us, but his gifts are vision, agility, & fluidity. Again, my philosophy on kick return is to have a player that looks like he was shot out of cannon combined with the strength to break one tackle.

Yeah, I definitely should put an asterisk next to "loves contact." As a freshman he hit pretty hard. Last year he seemed to run from contact, possibly due to the normal mental struggles he was having. But either way, perhaps my suggestion that a returner need to like contact is overblown anyway. Blockers sure, but a fast elusive returner is the prototype anyway. I really feel like BB could be successful back there, even with very limited vision. Ball skills a must though. Watching muffed punts is a good way to make me get alcohol poisoning during a game.

Powersaw
08-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I think Mixon is the #1 option back there for sure. And I wouldn't necessarily burn his or anyone else's redshirt year for 10-15 touches, but this is a position where we've been sorely lacking in playmakers. I'm just tired of starting at the 19 every time.

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2017, 11:41 AM
I think Mixon is the #1 option back there for sure. And I wouldn't necessarily burn his or anyone else's redshirt year for 10-15 touches, but this is a position where we've been sorely lacking in playmakers. I'm just tired of starting at the 19 every time.

Mixon is perfect & has the skill set to be the best kickoff return guy we've had under Mullen.

If he's the guy, I could see him returning multiple TD this season. He has elite speed & enough size to break one arm tackle.

dawgman15
08-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Coming out of high school Mixon's 40 yard dash time was a 4.65, who's to say our staff cant make Kylin take that leap?

GTHOM
08-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Brandon Bryant as long as he doesnt fumble

Todd4State
08-03-2017, 12:37 PM
I'd like to see Mixon, Gray, and Deddrick Thomas have a shot at returning kicks. In no particular order.

preachermatt83
08-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Couldn't agree more. Hill was clocked at a 4.64 in high school. Unless that's gotten much better, he doesn't need to be back there. He'll be a good RB, but not because of top end speed.

In contrast, Keith Mixon ran a 4.3 as a freshman at MSU. Much more equipped.

The Brandon Bryant I saw last year didn't "love contact" at all. Far from it.

Todd4State
08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Bryant does look good with the ball in his hands when he gets an INT or a fumble recovery though. I get where people are coming from with that.