PDA

View Full Version : Compliance, phones, and LOIC.

Leroy Jenkins
08-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Does a school's compliance dept have to periodically review phone records as part of their duties?

Ol' Danny Hugh might not be the only one with a secret. The administration may have known about his hobbies for a long time.... and then Houston Dale Nutt come along.

So compliance was not monitoring or they were complicit, either way, they got some questions to answer in NOA 3.

Bubb Rubb
08-03-2017, 12:45 AM
It is a requirement to monitor phone usage. The Nutt case singlehandedly destroyed the LOIC defense that ole miss was planning to present. You can't say you're the model of compliance and then have an outside party find call history that you should have known about. A coach calling a hooker isn't an NCAA violation (based on what is known so far) but firing a coach for a troubling pattern of phone usage found during a separate case sends a clear message that they weren't monitoring his phone usage.

redstickdawg
08-03-2017, 01:33 AM
the question is whether a subpoena could unearth more burner phones and then lead to bigger issues out there from the NCAA and others.

Hot Rock
08-03-2017, 06:53 AM
The whole point of having a burner phone is that its not traceable back to you. I seriously doubt that there will be a paper trail to them.

Those things would have been bought with cash and given out with x number of minutes on them and refilled with cash.

MafiaDawg
08-03-2017, 07:11 AM
I don't think you can trace a burner phones calls but you can trace the calls of a phone to burner phones. It would definitely raise another red flag for freezes phone to have called lots of burners phones. Mars has already come out and said he called a burner phone from Arizona.

Spiderman
08-03-2017, 07:41 AM
It is a requirement to monitor phone usage. The Nutt case singlehandedly destroyed the LOIC defense that ole miss was planning to present. You can't say you're the model of compliance and then have an outside party find call history that you should have known about. A coach calling a hooker isn't an NCAA violation (based on what is known so far) but firing a coach for a troubling pattern of phone usage found during a separate case sends a clear message that they weren't monitoring his phone usage.

Correct-a-mundo

Dolphus Raymond
08-03-2017, 08:25 AM
I know for a fact that all coaches at Ole Miss had their phones periodically audited by their compliance department. (I assume that is done at all SEC schools.) I too have wondered if 1. Freeze was not required to have his audited or 2. it was audited and the compliance department ignored the calls. Now, keep in mind that this is the same compliance department that, according to the NCAA, had knowledge of a SA having a "loaner car" for two months and said nothing. LOIC is a slam-dunk.

Mimi's Babies
08-03-2017, 08:32 AM

With ALL the burner phones and coaches having a burner phone also... Sure they were monitoring the calls... my ___________. If I remember -- someone told me that they used the burner phone to call the recruiter.... Not a psnl cell phone.. That way they did not use up the croots minutes.... (remember this was before the Unlimited usage plans).

Anyone ever thought that Freezus could have had two different phones.. One paid for by Ath. Dept and one by the AF?
AF would not necessarily have to audit that phone or would they and did not? (since it was NOT owned by the "ATH. Dept."?????

1bigdawg
08-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Anyone ever thought that Freezus could have had two different phones.. One paid for by Ath. Dept and one by the AF?
AF would not necessarily have to audit that phone or would they and did not? (since it was NOT owned by the "ATH. Dept."?????

Compliance would have to audit Freeze's cell phone. It would not matter if it was paid for by the University or the AF. If that were not the case, everyone would use their foundation to pay for unaudited cells.

The main story of the burner phones is coaches having them so they could call during quiet periods.

DancingRabbit
08-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Compliance would have to audit Freeze's cell phone. It would not matter if it was paid for by the University or the AF. If that were not the case, everyone would use their foundation to pay for unaudited cells.

The main story of the burner phones is coaches having them so they could call during quiet periods.

Also allows coaches to call more often than permitted (one call per week?)

1bigdawg
08-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Also allows coaches to call more often than permitted (one call per week?)

Yes.

Mimi's Babies
08-03-2017, 09:54 AM
One called the morning of an exam causing the student to be LATE for his exam -- 45 min late...