PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Quote on Mullen By Rival Coach

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Anonymous

"They're kind of boring schematically when you really watch them and break them down. They don't do a whole lot that concerns you. Mullen does a good job. it's just not particularly creative. You'd play (Steve) Spurrier back in the day and he'd see something he'd like in the NFL on Sunday and you'd see it with him the following weekend. With Mullen, he kind of has his things he likes and that's what he does. There's no newness there."

I actually agree with this, &, if I were Mullen, I'd take it as an insult. All great coaches are constantly evolving, adding, adjusting, etc.... Mullen is a really good coach, but he can't be a great coach until he figures this out.

Mullen's base offense is excellent & gives us a chance to score points most Saturday's, but, as the quote says, Spurrier would see something in an NFL game on Sunday & implement by the next Saturday. Mullen can take some advice from that.

Again, this isn't about changing the offense each week or anything like that. It's about adding in a wrinkle each week that the other team hasn't quite prepared for.

What this coach is saying is that, MSU is solid, but when they prepare for MSU, MSU gives them exactly what they prepared for in the game.

Jack Lambert
08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Holloway up the middle wasn't working.

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Bet that was Saban.

MSUDawg99
08-02-2017, 04:41 PM
My thoughts exactly, Starkvegas.

shoeless joe
08-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Mullen calls a game like I did on PlayStation.

TUSK
08-02-2017, 04:48 PM
It isn't like MDL to give a quote like that about another coach (anonymous or otherwise)...

:confused:however, the mention of Spurrier, the NFL and the extrapolated time frame makes me ponder...

Todd4State
08-02-2017, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see him use some of our personnel differently. Like Lee at H-Back, Gray in the slot where he belongs, and others have mentioned using more two tight end sets. That in and of itself would be more creative. And use Malik Dear like Florida used Percy Harvin when he gets healthy.

Dan was more creative when he first got here. Remember the wishbone on the goal line in 2009? Bring that back. It was awesome.

Dawg61
08-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Mullen has always coached with Adidas Tampons. This is nothing new. Some bells and whistles for show pre-snap but it's roughly the same 15-20 offensive plays every game and I have no problem with that if you get really good at those plays. I wish he would steal the hailmary bomb from Bama though. They score 1-2 TDs every single game on that play alone. Saban teaches it too not the other coaches I am totally convinced. That play has been there as long as he has.

Token Bammer
08-02-2017, 05:23 PM
It isn't like MDL to give a quote like that about another coach (anonymous or otherwise)...

:confused:however, the mention of Spurrier, the NFL and the extrapolated time frame makes me ponder...

Yes.

TUSK
08-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Yes.

Solid post.

+1

Quaoarsking
08-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I mean, we evolved from and run-oriented team to an Air Raid and back (?) in the last few years.

Reason2succeed
08-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Mullen has always coached with Adidas Tampons. This is nothing new. Some bells and whistles for show pre-snap but it's roughly the same 15-20 offensive plays every game and I have no problem with that if you get really good at those plays. I wish he would steal the hailmary bomb from Bama though. They score 1-2 TDs every single game on that play alone. Saban teaches it too not the other coaches I am totally convinced. That play has been there as long as he has.

You have to have wide receivers and ol to do that.

Commercecomet24
08-02-2017, 05:41 PM
And yet the NFL scouts and coaches were impressed with how much Dak knew about progressions and running an offense. Jason Garrett said Dak acclimated to the Cowboys offense so well because it was so similar to the offense he ran at State.

Dawg61
08-02-2017, 05:49 PM
You have to have wide receivers and ol to do that.

Definitely agree on the WRs. Bama has had elite WRs the entire time Saban has been there. I think our OL is serviceable enough to allow for the play to be run 3-4 times a game though.

PassInterference
08-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Mullen's system is fundamentally sound enough that it doesn't need tricks and gimmicks. Spread 'em out, take what the defense gives us, or go with our best matchup. We don't have to confuse a defense.

1bigdawg
08-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Mullen's system is fundamentally sound enough that it doesn't need tricks and gimmicks. Spread 'em out, take what the defense gives us, or go with our best matchup. We don't have to confuse a defense.

You forgot the **. Either that or you forget our performance against solid defenses.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Perhaps the best offense I've ever been around really used only about 15-20 plays. Now they ran those plays out of about 10 different formations each and had about 3-5 motion packages for each.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 06:18 PM
And yet the NFL scouts and coaches were impressed with how much Dak knew about progressions and running an offense. Jason Garrett said Dak acclimated to the Cowboys offense so well because it was so similar to the offense he ran at State.

Yep

Dawg61
08-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Perhaps the best offense I've ever been around really used only about 15-20 plays. Now they ran those plays out of about 10 different formations each and had about 3-5 motion packages for each.

A lot of it has to do with the talent and experience of the players. Give me Julio Jones and Derrick Henry and I can beat at least 6 teams a year with only using 5 plays a game.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2017, 06:57 PM

You completely missed the point of the thread.

Mullen's base offense is excellent. No doubt about it.

All I'm saying is that adding a wrinkle here and there on a week to week basis may help us win a few more games.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Realistically could've been Saban, Muschamp, Stoopes.

Commercecomet24
08-02-2017, 07:03 PM

All I'm saying is that adding a wrinkle here and there on a week to week basis may help us win a few more games.

I agree to a certain point, however we went from power run 2 back sets to air raid with Dak to a combo with Fitz so yes Dan does make adjustments based on personnel. He even ran a little A11 offense against bama a few years back with h mini favre. A little wrinkle every now and then wouldn't hurt my feelings though lol!

Dawg61
08-02-2017, 07:31 PM

Mullen's temperament handcuffs his offense's true potential. Adding a wrinkle or two doesn't change that. Sure I love new stuff too but really I'd love it if Mullen treated his opponent like Houston Nutt is treating his case right now. Then you would see the offense we all want.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 07:52 PM
A lot of it has to do with the talent and experience of the players. Give me Julio Jones and Derrick Henry and I can beat at least 6 teams a year with only using 5 plays a game.

Talent helps for sure. That O always clicked, but it clicked better with better talent obviously. They still won a bunch of games they had no right to win. The real secret was fanatical attention to detail. Did you ever see a Willis Wright coached team play? That wasn't the offense I was talking about but Wright's teams weren't that complex either, but man did they execute.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Mullen's temperament handcuffs his offense's true potential. Adding a wrinkle or two doesn't change that. Sure I love new stuff too but really I'd love it if Mullen treated his opponent like Houston Nutt is treating his case right now. Then you would see the offense we all want.

Our problem for the most part hasn't really been offense. There have been games of course but the last few years our D has really sucked.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Our problem for the most part hasn't really been offense. There have been games of course but the last few years our D has really sucked.

Offense has always been the problem against Bama & LSU

Dawg61
08-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Offense has always been the problem against Bama & LSU

Both of these statements are true but Shotgun it isn't fair to throw Bama in there as they have had a top 5-10 rated defense in every single year Saban has been there except the first year and a few of those years they were ranked #1. (I believe this is the stat, I looked it up once) Rushing defense is even better. Nobody runs/scores on Bama except Hugh's Hookers with 40 paid for players.

Todd4State
08-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Both of these statements are true but Shotgun it isn't fair to throw Bama in there as they have had a top 5-10 rated defense in every single year Saban has been there except the first year and a few of those years they were ranked #1. (I believe this is the stat, I looked it up once) Rushing defense is even better. Nobody runs/scores on Bama except Hugh's Hookers with 40 paid for players.

If I'm a coach and I see Bama getting beat repeatedly by fade routes I would make sure we throw no less than 10 in the game. Our problem this year is our outside WR's are smurfs. Unless Couch and Todd or maybe even Jesse Jackson unexpectedly emerge. And there's where some creativity is needed- get Dontae Jones or Justin Johnson lined up outside at WR and then throw the ball on some fades. I highly doubt Dan does it though.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2017, 08:50 PM
If I'm a coach and I see Bama getting beat repeatedly by fade routes I would make sure we throw no less than 10 in the game. Our problem this year is our outside WR's are smurfs. Unless Couch and Todd or maybe even Jesse Jackson unexpectedly emerge. And there's where some creativity is needed- get Dontae Jones or Justin Johnson lined up outside at WR and then throw the ball on some fades. I highly doubt Dan does it though.

Yeah, other than getting Heath & possibly Guidry this year, whoever has been in charge of recruiting WRs over the past 3 years needs to be punched in the face.

That being said, Mullen always finds a way to throw to the wrong people & approach the Bama game with a poor game plan.

I realize they beat everyone, but Dan continue to not ever score against them yet goes into the next year's game & tries to do the exact same thing.

I can handle not scoring on Bama, but for goodness sakes at least not score by trying something different.

IMissJack
08-02-2017, 09:02 PM
A receiver or 2 capable of taking the top off the defense would help our O tremendously. Mullen has never really had that. Hopefully this year, he will utilize TE's to throw in a new wrinkle or two.

lamont
08-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Our problem for the most part hasn't really been offense.

Our problem has most certainly been offense in big games under Mullen. Our offense vs the top 3 of the SEC West each year is abysmal. We do great against bottom half SEC teams

dparker
08-02-2017, 09:13 PM

I agree with this 100%. We all know the score when we go up against really good defenses. You aren't going to beat them just running your base plays. We just aren't there. We need the one or two plays that they aren't expecting.

lamont
08-02-2017, 09:18 PM

Teams that have scored more points vs Bama the last 2 seasons than us:

2016:

USC
W. Kentucky
OM
Kentucky
UPig
Tenn
A&M
Auburn
Washington
Clemson

2015:

Wisconsin
Middle Tennessee
OM
Georgia
UPig
A&M
Tenn
LSU
Auburn
Florida
Clemson

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2017, 09:20 PM

2016:

USC
W. Kentucky
OM
Kentucky
UPig
Tenn
A&M
Auburn
Washington
Clemson

2015:

Wisconsin
Middle Tennessee
OM
Georgia
UPig
A&M
Tenn
LSU
Auburn
Florida
Clemson

Yup.

It's inexplicable. Yet, my guess is that we'll go into this year's game & do the exact same things on offense.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Our problem has most certainly been offense in big games under Mullen. Our offense vs the top 3 of the SEC West each year is abysmal. We do great against bottom half SEC teams

And so is nearly everybodies.

lamont
08-02-2017, 09:21 PM
And so is nearly everybodies.

not really

Todd4State
08-02-2017, 09:21 PM
A receiver or 2 capable of taking the top off the defense would help our O tremendously. Mullen has never really had that. Hopefully this year, he will utilize TE's to throw in a new wrinkle or two.

I think Heath could be that guy. I really like Dontae Jones's potential- but I doubt he will be ready this year. Jordan Thomas should be an x-factor in that game with his skill set- but as other's have said Dan usually doesn't do a great job of game planning against Bama.

Todd4State
08-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Yup.

It's inexplicable. Yet, my guess is that we'll go into this year's game & do the exact same things on offense.

At least it will be at home with a year older Fitzgerald and a year older Aeris Williams. And I expect Grantham to hold them to under 51. It won't be enough, but at least it should be more competitive.

Cooterpoot
08-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Dans ahole tightens up against Bama and he waves the white flag.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 09:31 PM
not really

Ok, you win. I won't say the word.

FISHDAWG
08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Realistically could've been Saban, Muschamp, Stoopes.

not sure Muschamp has played against Mullen as a head coach but you're on the right trail ... sounds like a defensive coach or co-ordinator ... also sounds so matter of fact that it makes me think Saban

BB30
08-03-2017, 08:17 AM

2016:

USC
W. Kentucky
OM
Kentucky
UPig
Tenn
A&M
Auburn
Washington
Clemson

2015:

Wisconsin
Middle Tennessee
OM
Georgia
UPig
A&M
Tenn
LSU
Auburn
Florida
Clemson

There are only a couple of teams on that list that actually surprise me... W. Kentucky and KY in 16 and Middle TN in 15.

Thats a pretty solid list of opponents.

dawgman15
08-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Jordan Thomas should be an x-factor in that game with his skill set.

Why does everyone expect such big things from him? Isn't he a senior this year, if he was going to do things why hasn't he? Also I believe I saw Farrod Green as the starter on the depth chart.

Todd4State
08-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Why does everyone expect such big things from him? Isn't he a senior this year, if he was going to do things why hasn't he? Also I believe I saw Farrod Green as the starter on the depth chart.

Well, he was in JUCO for half of his career. I thought he had a pretty nice impact last year myself. See the South Carolina game.

Anonymous
08-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Bet that was Saban.

Only so many current coaches who "played Spurrier back in the day". Could also be an assistant like Kirby or Champ though I guess.

Dawg61
08-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Bama is pointless to talk about. Mullen will never beat Saban. It's not pivotal for him to do so to keep his job. He can lose to Saban 30 years in a row and we still won't fire him over it. Bama under Saban is probably the greatest college football dynasty ever. Who gives a shit if we score 3 points on 5 yards of offense or score 24 points on 400 yards of offense. We are still losing every single time we play them until Saban decides to retire or move on and do something else. I refuse to allow myself to fall into the Saban trap. Why you think Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, aTm, Georgia and Florida stay wanting to fire their coaches? Cuz they expect their coach to beat an unbeatable opponent and they get all butthurt when their programs aren't as revered as Saban's Bama. Not happening to us guys. Forget about Bama forever till the Napoleon psycho gets bored and moves on. I wish everyone would just ignore Bama completely. Act like they don't even exist and then the Smurf might seek more attention in the NFL or Big10.

Prediction? Pain.
08-03-2017, 11:42 AM
That coach -- whether a coordinator or head coach -- obviously has a unique perspective on this that I can't match, and I retrospectively can see how Mullen's first few years' worth of offenses weren't "schematically creative" enough to cause much "concern" among opponents. From '09 to '13, our scoring offense in SEC games was ranked in the bottom half of the conference every year (7th, 11th, 9th, 8th, 10th), and we ranked in the top half of the league in yards per play in the same span only once (5th in 2012, 8th or lower in every other year). And it was no better according to advanced stats -- from '09 to '13, the offense's national FEI and S&P+ rankings were between 50th and 73rd every year but one.

But in '14, '15, and '16, the offense, "boring" or not, had to "concern" at least most of our opponents. We were in the top 6 of SEC scoring offenses in SEC play all three years (4th, 6th, and 5th), and were in the top 4 in the SEC in yards-per-play in two of those three years, too. Further, the FEI and S&P+ advanced-stats systems never had our offense ranked below 37th nationally in each of the past three years (and the S&P+ rankings had us in the top 16 two of the three years).

Also, there's this:

"Schematically, though, they're one of the teams that you really admire. They have some good stuff in the playbook. Dan Mullen, some of the stuff he does on offense is just really well-respected from the standpoint of figuring out what defense you're going to be in and figuring out how they can beat you. They do some stuff to attack you and put your weak link in conflict on the edge."

That's an anonymous coach's quote from the 2016 version (https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2016) of this exact same Athlon series.

thf24
08-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Bama is pointless to talk about. Mullen will never beat Saban. It's not pivotal for him to do so to keep his job. He can lose to Saban 30 years in a row and we still won't fire him over it. Bama under Saban is probably the greatest college football dynasty ever. Who gives a shit if we score 3 points on 5 yards of offense or score 24 points on 400 yards of offense. We are still losing every single time we play them until Saban decides to retire or move on and do something else. I refuse to allow myself to fall into the Saban trap. Why you think Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, aTm, Georgia and Florida stay wanting to fire their coaches? Cuz they expect their coach to beat an unbeatable opponent and they get all butthurt when their programs aren't as revered as Saban's Bama. Not happening to us guys. Forget about Bama forever till the Napoleon psycho gets bored and moves on. I wish everyone would just ignore Bama completely. Act like they don't even exist and then the Smurf might seek more attention in the NFL or Big10.

Most will call this weak or defeatist, but it's the truth. A mid tier program putting heavy emphasis on beating Bama at this point in time simply isn't an efficient use of resources. That's how you maybe end up getting lucky and barely beating them, then losing to Memphis.

GTHOM
08-03-2017, 12:09 PM
I'd like to see us get back to what we did in 2010 and 09 some. Of course thats when we knew we couldnt throw the ball very well so we ran the shit out of it. The h- back counter play with dixon and ballard got us a shit ton of mileage