PDA

View Full Version : Question to ponder....

SaveFerris
08-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Long time reader (practically everyday) first time poster.
Had a thought. Let's flash forward beyond the rulings and just say that there is indeed "justice in the world" and OM gets annihilated. Given their tendency to deflect and pass blame, what do you think the chances are that some outside OM lawyer alum contacts them with the idea of suing the NCAA not for bullying, unfairness in the investigation, unethical behavior during the investigation, or any of the other arguments that OM message board talking heads are claiming, but on the premise that OM cheated b/c they were forced to by the unfair system of "haves and have nots" that the NCAA has created.
The argument being that for a smaller school like OM w/ no real relevance in the national spotlight since the days of segregation, the only way to create a new seat at the "big boy" table and garner respect was to cheat to overcome the advantages of the "big boys" and to counter this unfair system set up to keep them down.
I have no idea how someone could realistically argue this, but since when do you need facts to sue someone?
What say you? Sorry if this is the dumbest thing you've ever heard and a waste of time. I thought it sounded plausible.

preachermatt83
08-02-2017, 02:21 PM
All the NCAA has to say is "you are a member of our organization voluntarily, if you don't like our rules, you don't have to be a part of our organization"

Gutter Cobreh
08-02-2017, 02:47 PM
All the NCAA has to say is "you are a member of our organization voluntarily, if you don't like our rules, you don't have to be a part of our organization"

Preacher has absolutely the best answer.

Also, I would remind them they continue to claim a football National Championship from 1962 so at some point in their history they would have been called a "have". Any reason they give for now being referred to as a "have not" is of their own doing and not the responsibility of anyone else.

I would also go on to say that this mindset is what got them into the particular situation they're in.

SaveFerris
08-02-2017, 03:02 PM
I completely agree and have said this myself b/c for realistic folks like you and me (you seem pretty realistic) that would be end of story but I'm talking about OM here who has been threatening lawsuits since 2012. I just wonder how many of their brethren have thought about this strategy?

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2017, 03:14 PM
If I were the NCAA and they brought me that argument I'd say - "Look down the road 100 miles to your rival. They were #1 for 5 weeks and don't seem to have to bend the rules beyond normal to do it. And when they had a case that even sniffed of impropriety, they nipped it in the bud, dissociated a booster, fired a coach, and cost a star player a red-shirt year. That's how you handle yourself if you want to be relevant. So quit your bitching and take your punishment like a man instead of a bunch of entitled ****ies!"

Turfdawg67
08-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Why didn't that work with Miami... honest question, don't remember the details of that case.

Dawgcentral
08-02-2017, 06:20 PM
OM won't sue the NCAA. They certainly would do that on the grounds that they are a poor peon that cannot approach the spending levels of the competition.

Buy a house in an exclusive estate type subdivision. Say it's a country club with a killer restaurant, tennis facilities, golf course, and equestrian stables.

You have the smallest lot in there, with minimum square footage in the home. Your neighbors bring more events to the club, host more dignitaries and events. Rent more stable space. Bring more affluence and influence into the picture. You yourself have suddenly become known as the trash of the community since you won't keep your landscaping nice and your roof is 50 years old.

Then you go before the HOA and sue them because folks quit waving at you when you drive by?

Litigating this against the NCAA is not going to happen, though it would be entertaining.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Why didn't that work with Miami... honest question, don't remember the details of that case.

Miami got hammmered man. They have yet to recover.