PDA

View Full Version : Several years ago, we had a really young RB

PMDawg
08-01-2017, 08:49 AM
And LB commit, and then decommit. Seems like the LB was Tim Washington. Was Kylin Hill the RB? If not, who was it and what ever happened to him? Just curious. Seems like they were 8th graders when they committed.

vv83
08-01-2017, 09:04 AM
And LB commit, and then decommit. Seems like the LB was Tim Washington. Was Kylin Hill the RB? If not, who was it and what ever happened to him? Just curious. Seems like they were 8th graders when they committed.

Can't remember their names but they were Brewster guys. Out of FL or NC if I remember correctly.. Robert Washington maybe?
http://247sports.com/Player/Robert-Washington-21689?PlayerInstitution=34399

BeastMan
08-01-2017, 09:25 AM
It was the team USA guys. Robert Washington, Aapri something, and some LB. Long story short, they all were incredibly overhyped and went to play lower level football. Robert Washington in particular had such a bullshit recruitment. He and his family begged for offers everywhere and his offer sheet was a who's who of CFB. When it came down to it, he couldn't commit anywhere worth a shit. For the amount of drama and negative press they gave MSU, I hope they all have horrible careers at lower level football and that's probably a safe bet

BeastMan
08-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Aapri Washington had 17 offers and signed with Buffalo. He claimed offers from MSU, OM, Kentucky, Syracuse, TCU, and more but choose Buffalo...

Robert Washington had 44 offers (lololol) and signed with Charlotte. He claimed offers from Bama, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Florida, LSU, Miami, MSU, Nebraska, Norte Dame, Ohio State, and many more but choose Charlotte...

Dawg61
08-01-2017, 09:32 AM
This is why you don't sign RBs in the 9th grade. It was painfully obvious it was a total waste of time yet I distinctly remember several posters blowing their lids when told it was a total waste of time.

Covercorner2
08-01-2017, 09:35 AM

I think the LB was Anthony Hines, who is now at A&M.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2017, 09:36 AM
This is why you don't sign RBs in the 9th grade. It was painfully obvious it was a total waste of time yet I distinctly remember several posters blowing their lids when told it was a total waste of time.

Somebody might be a badass in 9th grade before puberty hits other guys but when everybody catches up might not be SEC quality. There is also the factor of how hard the guy will work. You might not have a clue on that aspect when they are in 9th grade.

BeastMan
08-01-2017, 09:40 AM
I think the LB was Anthony Hines, who is now at A&M.

Good memory. He claimed 90 offers and went to A&M. He was the only one who could play out of that team USA bunch. He wasn't "with" the Washington's and Pollock.

Dallas_Dawg
08-01-2017, 09:41 AM
http://m.espn.com/ncf/playergamelog?playerId=4045724&season=2016&lang=EN

Didn't have terrible stats as a freshman

Dawg61
08-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Somebody might be a badass in 9th grade before puberty hits other guys but when everybody catches up might not be SEC quality. There is also the factor of how hard the guy will work. You might not have a clue on that aspect when they are in 9th grade.

RB might be the last position I would take a "guaranteed can't miss" commit to be worth more than a grain of salt

DownwardDawg
08-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Aapri Washington had 17 offers and signed with Buffalo. He claimed offers from MSU, OM, Kentucky, Syracuse, TCU, and more but choose Buffalo...

Robert Washington had 44 offers (lololol) and signed with Charlotte. He claimed offers from Bama, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Florida, LSU, Miami, MSU, Nebraska, Norte Dame, Ohio State, and many more but choose Charlotte...

Hahaha!! That's hilarious!!!

BeastMan
08-01-2017, 09:44 AM
The team USA LB who was tied in with the Washington's was Jonathan Pollock. 15 offers. Signed with Rutgers and is now at Youngstown State.

BeastMan
08-01-2017, 09:45 AM
http://m.espn.com/ncf/playergamelog?playerId=4045724&season=2016&lang=EN

Didn't have terrible stats as a freshman

He was the 2nd leading rusher on 4-8 Charlotte.

smootness
08-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Taking early commits like that doesn't really cost you anything, though. Does it really matter or do anything for you? No, except for the off chance the kid turns out to be good and you were able to develop a relationship early.

But what does it hurt? These kids are coming to camps and such, and you're starting to recruit and identify kids at an early age. So if one decides he wants to publicly commit, then who really cares? Gets you some brief, free pub.

BeastMan
08-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Taking early commits like that doesn't really cost you anything, though. Does it really matter or do anything for you? No, except for the off chance the kid turns out to be good and you were able to develop a relationship early.

But what does it hurt? These kids are coming to camps and such, and you're starting to recruit and identify kids at an early age. So if one decides he wants to publicly commit, then who really cares? Gets you some brief, free pub.

Well that was the problem with the Washington's family. They were total headline hounds who begged for offers everywhere. State was good enough to take an early commit and they drug MSU through the mud publicly calling coaches liars for offering some kid from north panola. Aapri' dad was all on MSU boards making a ruckus. Typical travel ball dads. They were terrible.

smootness
08-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Well that was the problem with the Washington's family. They were total headline hounds who begged for offers everywhere. State was good enough to take an early commit and they drug MSU through the mud publicly calling coaches liars for offering some kid from north panola. Aapri' dad was all on MSU boards making a ruckus. Typical travel ball dads. They were terrible.

Yeah, true. It may be more trouble than it's worth ultimately. I guess you do have to be somewhat discerning about it. But I don't see it as a big deal either way.

Dawg61
08-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Yeah, true. It may be more trouble than it's worth ultimately. I guess you do have to be somewhat discerning about it. But I don't see it as a big deal either way.

Besides it being a total waste of time, money and energy it also creates a couple enemies for our program later on when we ultimately have to drop the BS commit. Other than that sure it's fantastic to publicly hype commits from overrated 9th graders taken by overrated recruiters that bolt out the door in 3 months.

Lord McBuckethead
08-01-2017, 10:54 AM
My nephew, who is the youngest player in his 7th grade team, practiced with the 8th graders. Dual Threat QB playing up against guys 1.5 years older than him and taking them to the shed. There is a big difference between guys entering the 7 grade and 8th grade. Dan should be talking to him now.

smootness
08-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Besides it being a total waste of time, money and energy it also creates a couple enemies for our program later on when we ultimately have to drop the BS commit. Other than that sure it's fantastic to publicly hype commits from overrated 9th graders taken by overrated recruiters that bolt out the door in 3 months.

My point in the earlier post, though, was - what time, money, and energy does it waste? I would assume we aren't spending any additional time recruiting these kids, we just tell them they can go ahead and commit if they want to.

PMDawg
08-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info. I knew yall would come through.

TUSK
08-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Lemme see: 3 star, #672 player overall, #42 RB in the country, had legit offer from MDL...

One of those things is not like the others....

Dawg61
08-01-2017, 12:17 PM
My point in the earlier post, though, was - what time, money, and energy does it waste? I would assume we aren't spending any additional time recruiting these kids, we just tell them they can go ahead and commit if they want to.

Brewster was most definitely spending time recruiting these 9th graders. He was very active with tying to bring them on board which means every second he was spending doing that he was not spending on a junior/senior.