PDA

View Full Version : With our 19 Commitments.....

Howboutdemdogs
07-31-2017, 10:39 AM
What is our ceiling limit for the number of signees for 2018? Plus, will we get to that limit and what are our remaining pressing needs in recruiting? Thanks and I will hang up and listen now.

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2017, 10:45 AM
I bet we will have sign 26 or 27.

With OM's situation & quality players wanting to come, you simply can't turn them away.

Due to this, I expect some attrition after this season &, with how good 2019 is in MS, we will sign a huge class next season.

Jack Lambert
07-31-2017, 11:13 AM
I was listening to a sports radio show the other day and I think it was Chris Brooks and he said that Ole Miss will have trouble getting the out of state people that they have been getting. He said that Freeze and company focused more on out of state and has not built up a relationship with Mississippi coaches but Miss State has. State is at a big advantage with in state over ole miss. Ole miss is going to have some lean years in recruiting.

Political Hack
07-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Throw in the fact that mom's might be worried about what's going on with their sons when visiting Oxford and you're looking at a perfect storm. Everything they gained the last several years recruiting the way they were will be lost over the next several years. It's going to be abysmal. They're on their way to the Croom years where they compete with USM, Troy and ULaLa for in-state recruits.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-31-2017, 01:05 PM
Throw in the fact that mom's might be worried about what's going on with their sons when visiting Oxford and you're looking at a perfect storm. Everything they gained the last several years recruiting the way they were will be lost over the next several years. It's going to be abysmal. They're on their way to the Croom years where they compete with USM, Troy and ULaLa for in-state recruits.

I think it will be worse than the Croom years for them.

HSVDawg
07-31-2017, 01:29 PM
What is our ceiling limit for the number of signees for 2018? Plus, will we get to that limit and what are our remaining pressing needs in recruiting? Thanks and I will hang up and listen now.

The short answer to your question is that we will be capped at 25, most likely. Signing more than that is going to require a lot more attrition than we normally see, combined with some guys we really need on campus in the 2018 class (Eliss, Suggs, Richardson) not qualifying. I wouldn't rule out some processing of guys that are already committed to make the numbers work.

Political Hack
07-31-2017, 01:59 PM
I think it will be worse than the Croom years for them.

Recruiting wise I agree, but wins losses won't be much different.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2017, 02:12 PM
The short answer to your question is that we will be capped at 25, most likely. Signing more than that is going to require a lot more attrition than we normally see, combined with some guys we really need on campus in the 2018 class (Eliss, Suggs, Richardson) not qualifying. I wouldn't rule out some processing of guys that are already committed to make the numbers work.

We didn't sign 25 last class so we can count back a couple if we need to for this class.

HSVDawg
07-31-2017, 02:58 PM
We didn't sign 25 last class so we can count back a couple if we need to for this class.

I'm aware of that. The 25 cap doesn't come from it being the official rule, it comes from what we'd have to do to stay under the 85 limit. With no attrition and Eliss / Suggs qualifying (which I think is expected), we only have 17 open spots. That number drops to 16 if Dez Harris opts for an additional year. So we are most likely going to have to lose 8 or 9 guys before February, or else sign less than 25. That's why I said it's going to take way more attrition than usual for us to get to 25 signees, and the 19 we have now likely will not all stick.

MaroonFlounder
07-31-2017, 05:58 PM
We must somehow regain our foothold on Clinton HS. Someone is steering those guys to TCUN or out of state. Same for Meridian HS. We got Callaway and Starkville back. Need to get the others somehow.

Bully13
07-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Recruiting wise I agree, but wins losses won't be much different.

So some SEC coaches might get "Luked" ?

Bodawg
07-31-2017, 07:17 PM

Some good news on Suggs and Richardson per Steve on boneyard....both expected to be cleared, maybe as soon as next week. Ellis has now improved to a "coin flip".

HSVDawg
07-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Some good news on Suggs and Richardson per Steve on boneyard....both expected to be cleared, maybe as soon as next week. Ellis has now improved to a "coin flip".

Well, that is good news. But, as it relates to this thread topic, that would be 3 fewer spots we'd have available if all 3 make it. I posted the other day, but the number of spots right now for 2018 is in flux between 15 and 19. The four variables are Suggs, Richardson, Eliss, and Dez Harris's potential medical redshirt. If all 4 players are on the roster in early 2018, we have 15 schollies. If none are, we have 19. Any players that leave by any sort of attrition increases the number. But at absolute minimum, we'd have to have 6 guys leave between now and December to have a full 25 scholarships available. That's a hell of a lot of attrition over a 5 month period for a Mullen team, historically.